Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Anyone attend a REGULAR undergrad university?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by sistermike, Sep 11, 2002.

1. sistermike

sistermike Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am just really curious to where everyone attended. Everyone in the pre-med forum is attending Yale, Harvard, Washington, MSU, etc... For the most part it seems like everyone is attending an ivy league school. Is there anyone here that attended just a plain old university with nothing special to it and got into a good med school?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mycin1600

mycin1600 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

4. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING
    7+ Year Member

Lol. Don't listen to Mycin.

5. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Are the UCs regular?

6. jot

jot

i goto a "regular" college - i haven't gotten in, but i'm getting some good interviews - quite possible to do i think.

7. Back34

Back34 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I graduated from Ithaca College and got in. A couple Ivy league friends of mine rubbed my nose in it until they found out I was whomping them in the exams. Don't worry too much about that.

8. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Members of my class at Podunk state university got into

Wash U
    Vanderbilt
    Iowa
    Nebraska
    Hopkins

and others.

My advice. . . do your best on the MCATs and do interesting things as ECs.

9. Rigomortis

Rigomortis Member
    7+ Year Member

It's better to have stellar grades at podunct than it is to have mediocre grades at ivy. High grades at an ivy would be the ideal, but there are only so many of those.

10. DuneHog

DuneHog Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I went to a state school as an undergrad and had no trouble getting into med school. I don't regret it for a minute. I had the time of my life as an undergrad and finished debt free. It really doesn't matter in the long run as long as you do well on MCATs and have a good GPA.

11. Smurfette

Smurfette Antagonized by Azrael
    Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ditto here to what DuneHog said. I don't regret my undergrad school at all!

12. Lara

Lara Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Last spring a poster named Jessica decided between Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF and UCLA (I kid you not!) and I don't think she came from a particularly prestigious undergrad...

13. Jim Picotte

Jim Picotte Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I went to Northen Michigan University and was accepted to several medical school when I applied back in 1996. It's a small state school in a small town.

14. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Guitarman for President
    7+ Year Member

People from the state in which my low prestige undergrad University resides are often ridiculed as country folks that don't wear shoes, but I got into several med schools.

15. 8744

8744 Guest

Non-Student
    Louisiana Tech University...can't get more regular than that.

I only applied to LSU New Orleans and LSU Shreveport medical schools and was accepted at both.

16. saiyagirl

saiyagirl Guest

my friend went to a not-that-reputed (but still decent) state school. he also had a 35 mcat, UNBELIEVABLE research experience, and probably a 4.0 if not close.

he now attends one of the best med schools in the country and got interviews everywhere.

17. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

yeah im going to be starting a satellite school of Columbia College of Missouri soon.

Since i work full time i need to go to something close.. i get good grades i hope it doesnt hurt my chances.

18. drdaizy

drdaizy Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I went to a small liberal arts school, did well, and took a couple of years off before starting med school to work in patient care. Had double-digit MCAT scores. The med school that I am attending wouldn't be considered top-ten or anything like that, but I agree with their philosophy on training physicians and they take very, very few of their students from out-of-state (which I am). Numbers and a good undergrad school will get you in the door, but what you do outside of education can be equally important in the admissions process (I say this wholeheartedly, as I am a member of my med school's admissions committee!)

19. droliver

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    University of Alabama '93

20. Gradient Echo

Gradient Echo Membership Revoked
    Removed

I went to Baylor University, which most people outside of Texas have never heard of, and the ones that have heard of it mistakenly think I am talking about the Baylor College of Medicine, which used to be one of the colleges under Baylor University (the affiliation was dropped over 30 years ago)

There are more people than I expected in my first year class that went to small colleges that I had never heard of before.

21. Gradient Echo

Gradient Echo Membership Revoked
    Removed

22. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

yeah when i mention Columbia ppl think of something else..

good in a way..

23. University of Maryland undergrad, large undergrad school now known mainly for its champion b-ball team.
    applied for entering class 2001
    3.62 undergrad (shaky start), MCAT Aug 98: 26Q (7VR), MCAT Apr 2000: 29Q (9VR). graduated May 1999 with BS in Biology.
    University of Maryland at Baltimore grad school: 4.0 assorted classes in Cell and Molecular Bio and Medical Pathology, strong research experience.
    Applied for 1999: 1 interview, 0 acceptances
    2001 application cycle: 21 applications, 7 interviews (PSU, MCP, NYMC, Tufts, GW, Maryland, SLU), 2 hold for interview (Temple and VCU, eventual rejections), 6 waitlists, 2 acceptances from waitlists.
    Maryland resident at time of application (soon to be MA resident!)
    I have posted other information about me on other threads, so I won't regurgitate it here unless you would like me to. My EC's and clinical experience were solid but not phenomenal (i.e. I didn't go to Ecaudor and vaccinate hundreds of children, though I would have liked to).
    another girl from my class went to UMCP, as did 2 students in the M'04 class, and we all feel that we were very well prepared for the first year of med school (except anatomy, which knocks most people flat on their @$$es regardless of where they went to school). While it is not an Ivy League school or UC, I think it is a solid state school. Great deal if you are a resident of Maryland, and some out-of-staters can get scholarship money.
    I apologize if I offended anyone with what I wrote, it is not intended as bragging, just to show how a state school applicant might be regarded by different schools.