Anyone attend a REGULAR undergrad university?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sistermike

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just really curious to where everyone attended. Everyone in the pre-med forum is attending Yale, Harvard, Washington, MSU, etc... For the most part it seems like everyone is attending an ivy league school. Is there anyone here that attended just a plain old university with nothing special to it and got into a good med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the UCs regular?

i goto a "regular" college - i haven't gotten in, but i'm getting some good interviews - quite possible to do i think.

I graduated from Ithaca College and got in. A couple Ivy league friends of mine rubbed my nose in it until they found out I was whomping them in the exams. Don't worry too much about that.

Members of my class at Podunk state university got into

Wash U
Vanderbilt
Iowa
Nebraska
Hopkins

and others.

My advice. . . do your best on the MCATs and do interesting things as ECs.

It's better to have stellar grades at podunct than it is to have mediocre grades at ivy. High grades at an ivy would be the ideal, but there are only so many of those.

I went to a state school as an undergrad and had no trouble getting into med school. I don't regret it for a minute. I had the time of my life as an undergrad and finished debt free. It really doesn't matter in the long run as long as you do well on MCATs and have a good GPA.

Last spring a poster named Jessica decided between Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF and UCLA (I kid you not!) and I don't think she came from a particularly prestigious undergrad...

I went to Northen Michigan University and was accepted to several medical school when I applied back in 1996. It's a small state school in a small town.

People from the state in which my low prestige undergrad University resides are often ridiculed as country folks that don't wear shoes, but I got into several med schools.

Louisiana Tech University...can't get more regular than that.

I only applied to LSU New Orleans and LSU Shreveport medical schools and was accepted at both.

my friend went to a not-that-reputed (but still decent) state school. he also had a 35 mcat, UNBELIEVABLE research experience, and probably a 4.0 if not close.

he now attends one of the best med schools in the country and got interviews everywhere.

Originally posted by GuitarMan
People from the state in which my low prestige undergrad University resides are often ridiculed as country folks that don't wear shoes, but I got into several med schools.

yeah im going to be starting a satellite school of Columbia College of Missouri soon.

Since i work full time i need to go to something close.. i get good grades i hope it doesnt hurt my chances.

I went to a small liberal arts school, did well, and took a couple of years off before starting med school to work in patient care. Had double-digit MCAT scores. The med school that I am attending wouldn't be considered top-ten or anything like that, but I agree with their philosophy on training physicians and they take very, very few of their students from out-of-state (which I am). Numbers and a good undergrad school will get you in the door, but what you do outside of education can be equally important in the admissions process (I say this wholeheartedly, as I am a member of my med school's admissions committee!)

I went to Baylor University, which most people outside of Texas have never heard of, and the ones that have heard of it mistakenly think I am talking about the Baylor College of Medicine, which used to be one of the colleges under Baylor University (the affiliation was dropped over 30 years ago)

There are more people than I expected in my first year class that went to small colleges that I had never heard of before.

yeah when i mention Columbia ppl think of something else..

good in a way..

University of Maryland undergrad, large undergrad school now known mainly for its champion b-ball team.
applied for entering class 2001
3.62 undergrad (shaky start), MCAT Aug 98: 26Q (7VR), MCAT Apr 2000: 29Q (9VR). graduated May 1999 with BS in Biology.
University of Maryland at Baltimore grad school: 4.0 assorted classes in Cell and Molecular Bio and Medical Pathology, strong research experience.
Applied for 1999: 1 interview, 0 acceptances
2001 application cycle: 21 applications, 7 interviews (PSU, MCP, NYMC, Tufts, GW, Maryland, SLU), 2 hold for interview (Temple and VCU, eventual rejections), 6 waitlists, 2 acceptances from waitlists.
Maryland resident at time of application (soon to be MA resident!)
I have posted other information about me on other threads, so I won't regurgitate it here unless you would like me to. My EC's and clinical experience were solid but not phenomenal (i.e. I didn't go to Ecaudor and vaccinate hundreds of children, though I would have liked to).
another girl from my class went to UMCP, as did 2 students in the M'04 class, and we all feel that we were very well prepared for the first year of med school (except anatomy, which knocks most people flat on their @$$es regardless of where they went to school). While it is not an Ivy League school or UC, I think it is a solid state school. Great deal if you are a resident of Maryland, and some out-of-staters can get scholarship money.
I apologize if I offended anyone with what I wrote, it is not intended as bragging, just to show how a state school applicant might be regarded by different schools.