anyone do it 1 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elvingomez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone attempted to or finished their postbacc in one year?

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible to do it at a semester school.

Summer Session 1: Gen Chem 1 with lab
Summer Session 2: Gen Chem 2 with lab

Fall semester:
Biology 1 with lab
Physics 1 with lab
O-Chem 1 with lab

Spring semester
Biology 2 with lab
Physics 2 with lab
O-chem 2 with lab

That's the minimum. Then some schools want one or more of the following:
Calculus
Statistics
Biochemistry
Genetics
Cell/Molecular Bio

If the schools you are interested in have some of these extras you could probably work them in. But remember the spring semester you will also be prepping for the MCAT which is A LOT of time. So you don't want to overload yourself too much. I think it would be hard enough to do the three science classes and the MCAT, so if you needed extra stuff it might be better to take it during the summer after the MCAT or during the year you are applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to get good letters of rec if you're doing a 1 year program?

I worry about whether or not I will have sufficient time with a prof. :confused:

thanx lone, thats exactly what i was looking for. and thanx for reminding me about the mcat, almost forgot that studying for the mcat and taking that load would be rather difficult

Originally posted by N1DERL&
Is it possible to get good letters of rec if you're doing a 1 year program?

I worry about whether or not I will have sufficient time with a prof. :confused:

I got 2 of my letters from profs that I only had for 1 semester, my physiology prof and my biochem prof. Both wrote very strong letters (at least I assume so since some of my interviewers complimented me on my letters of rec). Pretty much I went to office hours a number of times, participated in class when I could, and did well in the classes. The biochem class was huge, the physiology class was only like 40 people. It is possible if you make the effort to get to know them.

Originally posted by elvingomez
thanx lone, thats exactly what i was looking for. and thanx for reminding me about the mcat, almost forgot that studying for the mcat and taking that load would be rather difficult

elvin, glad it was helpful. Definitely don't underestimate the MCAT... I was very thankful that I had a very light load (easier science units + english composition) while I was studying for it. I am sure it could be done though, especially if you are a storng test taker in general. But I am glad I opted not to.

Thanks for the info LoneCoyote! Makes me feel better about my letters of rec! :clap:

how difficult is it to actually take those 3 science classes all in same semester, Bio, physics, and orgo chem? Thats most likely what my schedule will be like and i am really worried at the difficulty of taking all those 3 science classes all at same time. Many people told me that i should just take bio and physics those semesters and take another year of postbaccs just to complete the orgo chem requirement. Personally i really rather not wait another whole year just for 1 class but then again, i dont wanna jeapordize my chances of getting a good grade just so i can avoid that extra year of postbacs... any feedback would be helpful and appreciated =)

If your focused and don't plan on going out much you will be fine. I'd even encourage you to take a tough load, adcoms want to know that you can handle a full science load. My first semester of post bac consisted of: Gen Chem 1 (retake, Genetics, Biochemistry, and Physics 1. I got great grades and believe me if I can do it anyone can. It's all about focus and working harder than the next guy.

Tooth

Superflyjsc,
I'm worried about the same thing too! :D I think TiggidyTooth is right... gotta work harder than the next guy! We can do it! :clap:

3 sciences is definitely doable. You just have to be really serious about studying, in whatever way works for you. For me that was going to all classes, taking good notes, and then cramming a couple of days before the tests. For others it is a more steady, every day review thing. You just need to find your groove and get into it. I did 4 science classes one semester + volunteering and I was constantly either in lab, class, volunteering of the library. It wasn't the most fun semester ever but it worked and in the end I agree that it does show adcoms that you can do some intense science workloads. Good luck :)

great info, i didn't think the adcoms would like it, but i see what you mean. the heavy course load proves yourself