anyone else having a hard time in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigglewiggle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi y'all..i am a 1st yr and so far i have struggled in every class even though i feel like i study all of the time. i am realizing that my way of studying is really inefficient but i am just not that great at memorizing stuff. i've passed all of my classes but i am in the bottom 20% or so...and am beginning to feel that i might not be cut out for all of this. i was wondering if a) it gets better and b) if i'm screwing up my whole life/chances for residency, etc by not doing so hot. it's tough spending all of your time in the library and not getting much return from it. any thoughts, words of inspiration :oops: ?

Members don't see this ad.

i would go talk to an official at your school. they are going to know best and be able to put your fears to rest. and if you know you're an inefficient studier even tho you study constantly, then you need to see someone for that too. At my school we have an office of student affairs that tends to our needs. med school is hard, that's no secret. and most schools have people waiting to help students with their problems, whatever they may be. use them, you're paying for them!

Just keep trying your best. One thing about med school, you get a lot of 2nd chances. You can put things in a higher gear during your 2nd year once you get used to everything. You may end up being one of those people who kicks a** on rotations too.

I'm not gonna say grades don't matter, because they do for a lot of specialties. But certainly 3rd year grades are weighted a lot more heavily than years 1-2. But years 1-2 are important for AOA distinction, which the very top residency programs tend to favor.

Either way, just talk to people and find out how they study. Talk to upperclassmen. Get tips where you can. Just keep trying, that's all you can ask of yourself. It's a long road and some people are late bloomers.

hi y'all..i am a 1st yr and so far i have struggled in every class even though i feel like i study all of the time. i am realizing that my way of studying is really inefficient but i am just not that great at memorizing stuff. i've passed all of my classes but i am in the bottom 20% or so...and am beginning to feel that i might not be cut out for all of this. i was wondering if a) it gets better and b) if i'm screwing up my whole life/chances for residency, etc by not doing so hot. it's tough spending all of your time in the library and not getting much return from it. any thoughts, words of inspiration :oops: ?

Members don't see this ad :)

Have you looked into other people's study techniques or suggestions from your proffessors to try some new approaches? I know I'm still tweaking my studying habits and have found ways to make them more efficient for me. Maybe you could try studying somewhere else, or in a group, or maybe some tutoring sessions? Also for me being able to talk to myself is really important, I've also seen alot of people who need to write things out over and over again on the whiteboards in the study rooms. First year grades aren't that important but you are laying the foundations for the USMLE step 1 which is important, so if your aiming for some competive residencies you will probably need to figure out how to use your time more efficiently. Try to remain positive, you're not failing out so you are getting return for your time, your going to be a doctor which is all most of us wanted a year or so ago. Just do your best and keep striving to improve but make peace with wherever that gets you.

I was in much the same situation back when I was in your position. It does get better. :) 3rd year was alot of fun and 4th year is too.

Remember that they are throwing a lot of information at you in a short period of time. The important thing is to retain that information. You have several opportunities to go back over your weak areas over the 4 years. For example anatomy and physiology during your surg and ob/gyn rotations etc. You will get it. :thumbup: Also, check to see if your medical school will allow you to do your preclinical education in 3 years rather than 2. The extra time may be worth your sanity.

For the majority of us, being high achievers was part of our identity. Try keeping in mind ALL of the things that make you YOU. You are more than just a set of numbers and so is a good physician. I can tell you that although I struggled with many of the same fears as you did I got through it. I was at the bottom of my class but still managed to interview at Harvard and Duke. I then matched at my #1 choice!:love:

If you find yourself getting discouraged or even depressed get help right away! Surround yourself with others who will give you the positive reinforcement you need to get through what may be the hardest time in your life: med school.:scared:

Take care and good luck!;)

hi y'all..i am a 1st yr and so far i have struggled in every class even though i feel like i study all of the time. i am realizing that my way of studying is really inefficient but i am just not that great at memorizing stuff. \

How do you study? Maybe we can give you a few tips on more efficient habits.

First of all, remember "What do they call the medical student who graduates last in his/her class?" The answer is "Doctor". The year that I graduated from medical school, every person in my class matched so even if you are ranked the very last in your class, you can match into residency.

If you have you heart set on Derm, Plastic Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery or Neurosurgery, you will need to pull your grades up, do well on USMLE Step I and do well in your clerkships but even these competitive residencies are not out of range provided you get your grades up second year. You have more medical school in front of you than behind you so nothing is out of range for you and you have "screwed-up" nothing as far as your career is concerned.

The next thing that you might want to work on is your study skills. Do you have a short attention span? If so, then sitting there hours upon hours on end is not efficient. Break your study time up into 50-minute blocks. Set a timer and take a 10-minute break when that timer goes off. On your break, take a walk, get a sip of water or a breath of fresh air and then get back to your studies.

Have you organized your study materials? If not, you may need to organize your materials/notes so that you can be more efficient. For example, I always previewed the next day's lecture by looking at the syllabus and objectives for that lecture. I would skim the material in my text paying close attention to the captions under graphs and illustrations. I would have a good idea of the high points of the next day's lecture.

During lecture, I would take notes on those things that were important and fill in the details from my book or from handouts. I would study and learn that day's lecture in the evening (reviewing the previous day's lecture material) for perspective and intergration.

I would review a whole week's worth of material on the weekend and preview for the upcoming week. By the time the exam came around, I had seen the material three times and could do my final reveiw. The material was in my long-term memory and integrated.

I also avoided heavy foods early in the evening. I would have a light supper and then a snack before bedtime. Breakfast was my heaviest meal and lunch was my most extensive meal. Loads of heavy fat-laden food will decrease your alertness. Avoid dehydration and caffeine as these can make you less effective with your learning.

Second-year is likely to be more interesting than first year (it was for me anyway) and third year is a whole different type of learning environment. You have loads of time to adjust things so try some different learning tactics (concept mapping for example). Break-up your routine because you are likely in a bit of a "rut".

Last, avoid comparing yourself to others in the class. Study for mastery of the material and not grades. When you lose the "pursuit of grade", you will tend to become more efficient and the grades will come to you. Good luck!

I was going to reply to the OP that she/he should check out your blog (a faithful reader, am I) since you've got some real good pointers!

OP, also don't restrict yourself to studying in just one area...try different locales. There was a thread I just read of all of the different areas that people study, maybe one of them is better for you than your current study locale?

The next thing that you might want to work on is your study skills. Do you have a short attention span? If so, then sitting there hours upon hours on end is not efficient. Break your study time up into 50-minute blocks. Set a timer and take a 10-minute break when that timer goes off. On your break, take a walk, get a sip of water or a breath of fresh air and then get back to your studies.

OMG, youre the first person I've ever seen suggest a timer other than me, I thought me and my egg timer were alone in our supernerdness, but alas there are others!!

To the OP, the timer really works btw :)

Last, avoid comparing yourself to others in the class. Study for mastery of the material and not grades. When you lose the "pursuit of grade", you will tend to become more efficient and the grades will come to you. Good luck!

:thumbup: Trudat.

Learn it so that you can be a better doctor for your patients.

I've had trouble with my M1 year too. At the beginning of the year, I heard I'd get the hang of it by the end of my first year. Now that it's the end, I'm sort of at a loss, bc I still haven't figured it out. As far as how I study, I've been trying to study the lectures from that day and review on weekends but always quickly fall behind. I usually end up being a full week behind and usually can't seem to make it up until the very end, so the last material before the test I end up trying to cram and it never really works out that way. I need repitition to learn which I had time for in undergrad, but I'm having trouble with the time constraints of med school. Any tips on working quicker? It usually takes me an hour and a half or so to get through a lecture. I've tried making study guides as I go but find I have no time to really review them and it takes longer to get through a lecture when I do that. Um, so I hope it gets better anyway. Our school is not very supportive when it comes to struggling students- we've lost 7 this year, with a few classes to go. Last year we lost 10. I'm just trying to pass everything, but considering I know I can do better, it's frustrating to be just getting by. Would appreciate anyone with a similar story that figured it out and did well.

i've passed all of my classes but i am in the bottom 20% or so...and am beginning to feel that i might not be cut out for all of this.
Try to look at the glass a little more as "20% full" rather than "80% empty." :oops: I'm sure it's frustrating to feel like you're doing poorly, but obviously, you're not, because the threshold for passing is still set at a level where your faculty think you've mastered the material. I'm about in the middle of my class, and it can be kind of depressing to score under the mean, but you've just got to have a short-term memory about your failures and keep on going.

It is not uncommon for you to have to adjust your study technique between college and medical school- if you haven't done so, you should talk to your classmates or a counselor about it.

College midterms have finite amount of information and you can generally memorize every little detail and ace the test. If you try the same technique in medical school, it will NOT work because the amount of information is just too overwhelming.

I have a few suggestions:
1) Look over all your notes but before you start memorizing, do some study questions or look at old exams to see what is emphasized or tested then proceed to memorizing only the key information.
2) Organize your information in a way that is easy for you to remember and understand.
3) Do some active learning with your classmates- talking things out and teaching each other often helps.
4) Repitition- don't cram before the test, but prepare early and review the same info many times until it sticks.

Hope this helps!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received a stat from a friend that in this year's match, we had students matching in surgery that were between the 15%-99%ile.

As others have said, passing is the threshold that you want to make sure you stay above. Also, remember that ALMOST ALL U.S. Medical school graduates will match somewhere. Granted, if you're shooting for Derm at MGH, you have an uphill road ahead of you, but if you're like me (I also had troubles throughout the year), you'll just be happy to be a physician. Good luck and keep your head up.

p.s. An additional point to consider is that different courses require different studying styles. I am awful at trying to remember every minute detail, and as a result, i struggled some in courses that tested that type of material (biochem, cell bio). However, I somehow understand 'big picture' type stuff much better, and thus ended up doing better in physiology. Point being: recognize and make the best of your strenghts and weaknesses. :)

Spend some time each week doing something non medicine, working out, watching TV, or else you will be insane. There is nothing more fun than getting to the end of the course, and calculating that you need less than a 30% to keep your grade. C = MD. Not saying that is the preferred path, and no one should minimize studying to achieve that, but it is still the ground truth. That's what you got to get, and you'll match somewhere.

Yeah, med school sucks nuts. I've never had to work my butt off to be average before and it's frustrating as hell. But when you look at that mediocre performance, consider the fact that something like 20-40% of your undergrad class started out as "pre-med"...and maybe 5% of them actually got in to the suffer-fest, and you're still hanging in there. Even it may feel like you're sucking at everything, if your passing, you're doing fine...you'll be a physician. You'll find what you're good at, and maybe that will be in the Socratic method of the clinical years instead of the Didactic crap of years 1 & 2, or maybe it will be rocking the USMLE's.

I think it was a brain-damaged computer-generated fish with the voice of Ellen DeGeneres that said "just keep swimming" over and over and over. Your mantra should be "just keep passing".

I was going to reply to the OP that she/he should check out your blog (a faithful reader, am I) since you've got some real good pointers!

OP, also don't restrict yourself to studying in just one area...try different locales. There was a thread I just read of all of the different areas that people study, maybe one of them is better for you than your current study locale?

I am just curious, ur 40+ and dont have a Bachelors yet and want to go to med school. What did you do before deciding on such a long career path at a late age and what gave you the motivation and courage to start so late from scratch basically.

I've had trouble with my M1 year too. At the beginning of the year, I heard I'd get the hang of it by the end of my first year. Now that it's the end, I'm sort of at a loss, bc I still haven't figured it out. As far as how I study, I've been trying to study the lectures from that day and review on weekends but always quickly fall behind. I usually end up being a full week behind and usually can't seem to make it up until the very end, so the last material before the test I end up trying to cram and it never really works out that way. I need repitition to learn which I had time for in undergrad, but I'm having trouble with the time constraints of med school. Any tips on working quicker? It usually takes me an hour and a half or so to get through a lecture. I've tried making study guides as I go but find I have no time to really review them and it takes longer to get through a lecture when I do that. Um, so I hope it gets better anyway. Our school is not very supportive when it comes to struggling students- we've lost 7 this year, with a few classes to go. Last year we lost 10. I'm just trying to pass everything, but considering I know I can do better, it's frustrating to be just getting by. Would appreciate anyone with a similar story that figured it out and did well.

What school do you go to to lose so many students, gezzz scary...

Spend some time each week doing something non medicine, working out, watching TV, or else you will be insane. There is nothing more fun than getting to the end of the course, and calculating that you need less than a 30% to keep your grade. C = MD. Not saying that is the preferred path, and no one should minimize studying to achieve that, but it is still the ground truth. That's what you got to get, and you'll match somewhere.

Dont use the C=MD method, otherwise you will always anxious because you're on the boarder of failing, shoot for at least a B if you want to go for the C=MD motto. We all shot for As in undergrad and not always got them, what makes you think if you go by the motto C=MD that C wont eventually dip lower and it soon became 200K in debt with no MD.

I had a lot of trouble my first year. My study habits usually involved either going to class and then reviewing that day's lectures, or once I stopped going to class, reading through a lecture, then reviewing that same lecture and making a review sheet for it. Like you, I always felt behind, and rarely had time to look over study guides before the exams. My study strategy for second year was completely different- rather than try to stay on top of whatever the class schedule is, I view each block as a set amount of material I have to learn in that amount of time, but on my own schedule. I read through the syllabus once quickly, so by the end of the first week (for a 4 week block) I've seen everything once. Then I go through it again and take notes, because I learn by writing things out. Then I review those notes. The week before the exam I've seen the material 3 times already, so I go through BRS path and First Aid to see what they consider high yield info, as well as to annotate those books while the topic is fresh in my mind. I also do a lot of practice questions for exams. With this approach, I've done MUCH better 2nd year and am also having a lot more fun.
Good luck!

I had a lot of trouble my first year. My study habits usually involved either going to class and then reviewing that day's lectures, or once I stopped going to class, reading through a lecture, then reviewing that same lecture and making a review sheet for it. Like you, I always felt behind, and rarely had time to look over study guides before the exams. My study strategy for second year was completely different- rather than try to stay on top of whatever the class schedule is, I view each block as a set amount of material I have to learn in that amount of time, but on my own schedule. I read through the syllabus once quickly, so by the end of the first week (for a 4 week block) I've seen everything once. Then I go through it again and take notes, because I learn by writing things out. Then I review those notes. The week before the exam I've seen the material 3 times already, so I go through BRS path and First Aid to see what they consider high yield info, as well as to annotate those books while the topic is fresh in my mind. I also do a lot of practice questions for exams. With this approach, I've done MUCH better 2nd year and am also having a lot more fun.
Good luck!

That sounds like a good plan. Sticking with the lecture style hasn't worked for me so far because I always fall behind and wind up cramming. Approaching it this way might work better. Thanks for sharing!

People always say C=MD...but Im sure Im not at the only school that has a minimum GPA requirement for you to go on to the next year.

People always say C=MD...but Im sure Im not at the only school that has a minimum GPA requirement for you to go on to the next year.

Doesn't that usually correspond with a C average? My school has traditional letter grading, and you have to make a C in each class for satisfactory completion. So we can go on no problem if we have a 2.0 with no grades below C. I would guess the minimum for most schools is similar. What's the minimum GPA requirement for your school?

we do too, but simply passing is good enough. You can even "low pass" one class a year without a problem. If you fail a class or low pass two classes, you'll have to remediate, but if you pass everything while low passing biochem, you'll go on to the next year. It shouldn't be your GOAL to simply pass, but if that's the best you can achieve, what more can you ask for?

Good luck!

That sounds like a good plan. Sticking with the lecture style hasn't worked for me so far because I always fall behind and wind up cramming. Approaching it this way might work better. Thanks for sharing!

I also find this approach useful -esp. for the subjects which need to be drilled - ie pharm, anatomy, biochem. I usually make a two collumn table and put concept on one side and term, answer, factoid, etc. on the other.

For the subjects that are more conceptual ie. phys and path, I have a radical strategy which I am sure no one will believe:

Read the book. I know, I was skeptical, too.

But if you listen to Goljan, he actually says the same thing - first, read through your textbook at the speed of a novel - don't highlight or take notes, just read. Get the big picture. Then, go back and identify the details you need to review or commit to memory. Maybe this wouldn't work as well at a lecture-based school as it does where I'm at (PBL), but since I've been doing this and actually reading the books, I'm amazed at how much better my retention of the material seems to be than just memorizing stuff. I also have lecture materials that I listen to speeded up to 130% just to reinforce the concepts and use otherwise wasted commute time. So far, this approach has been pretty successful for me.

But if you listen to Goljan, he actually says the same thing - first, read through your textbook at the speed of a novel - don't highlight or take notes, just read. Get the big picture. Then, go back and identify the details you need to review or commit to memory. Maybe this wouldn't work as well at a lecture-based school as it does where I'm at (PBL), but since I've been doing this and actually reading the books, I'm amazed at how much better my retention of the material seems to be than just memorizing stuff. I also have lecture materials that I listen to speeded up to 130% just to reinforce the concepts and use otherwise wasted commute time. So far, this approach has been pretty successful for me.

That actually makes a lot of sense to me because I retain stuff better if it's placed in some context. When you're reading a list of facts, it's hard to figure out how things go together, and it just feels like random memorization. I much prefer course syllabi where the professor writes stuff in paragraph form over where they just make a list of things.

Doesn't that usually correspond with a C average? My school has traditional letter grading, and you have to make a C in each class for satisfactory completion. So we can go on no problem if we have a 2.0 with no grades below C. I would guess the minimum for most schools is similar. What's the minimum GPA requirement for your school?

How are you graded? Like what's a 2 and what's a 3? I know at some schools 75% is the minimum for a full pass, and they have low passes for 70 to 74%. We don't have pluses or minuses or any variation between a 70% and a 79%. From my understanding our remediation is passed solely on passing/not passing classes, not gpa. You have to remediate every class you make below a C in, and if you make below a C in two classes, you have to redo the year.

How are you graded? Like what's a 2 and what's a 3? I know at some schools 75% is the minimum for a full pass, and they have low passes for 70 to 74%. We don't have pluses or minuses or any variation between a 70% and a 79%. From my understanding our remediation is passed solely on passing/not passing classes, not gpa. You have to remediate every class you make below a C in, and if you make below a C in two classes, you have to redo the year.

A,B,C, Fail. Normal breakdown of percentages.

I am a first year med student and I also was having some trouble. I spoke to a physician and he told me that the best way to reinforce concepts and details was to do as many practice questions as possible.

I review the notes once, do as many practice questions as I possibly can and then review the material I am weak in. It is working for me!

Good Luck! :luck:

try the not going to class and just spend your time studying approach. works for me, I'm half as stressed/tired and I'm performing at least as well if not better than when I used to go to class

It was hard when I used to go to class. I'm with Fender. Class much too time consuming and requires a rigid schedule. Skipping allows flexibility and much more studying time. If ppl learn by hearing lectures then I dunno what to say. Never got much out of listening vs seeing/reading though myself. I always ended up studying the same material the spoke about during studying, and I didn't find this redundancy high yield.

It was hard when I used to go to class. I'm with Fender. Class much too time consuming and requires a rigid schedule. Skipping allows flexibility and much more studying time. If ppl learn by hearing lectures then I dunno what to say. Never got much out of listening vs seeing/reading though myself. I always ended up studying the same material the spoke about during studying, and I didn't find this redundancy high yield.

Yeah, when I have to sit in class all day I just come home tired and don't want to study. Add that to the fact that when I'm in class, I probably pay attention around 50% of the time. When I stay home, I can study throughout the day, take breaks when I feel like it, and I'm not too tired to study at night, too, if I want to. Plus it's easier to fit in things like working out, grocery shopping, etc.

Add that to the fact that when I'm in class, I probably pay attention around 50% of the time. When I stay home, I can study throughout the day, take breaks when I feel like it, and I'm not too tired to study at night, too, if I want to. Plus it's easier to fit in things like working out, grocery shopping, etc.
ditto, when I found myself browing internet, chatting with friends or dozing for well over 50% of lecture I knew it was time to take up truancy. I stopped podcasting even when I tended to fast forward up to 2x which was insanely fast but slower than reading still. Definitely have upped the gym factor and recently tennis since I took up skipping. not a morning person myself so class was hell for me. Truancy surely something to consider--no sense in attending class just bc one is "supposed" to

My study strategy for second year was completely different- rather than try to stay on top of whatever the class schedule is, I view each block as a set amount of material I have to learn in that amount of time, but on my own schedule. I read through the syllabus once quickly, so by the end of the first week (for a 4 week block) I've seen everything once. Then I go through it again and take notes, because I learn by writing things out. Then I review those notes. The week before the exam I've seen the material 3 times already, so I go through BRS path and First Aid to see what they consider high yield info, as well as to annotate those books while the topic is fresh in my mind. I also do a lot of practice questions for exams. With this approach, I've done MUCH better 2nd year and am also having a lot more fun.
Good luck!

I have also been struggling first year and have thought about following a method close to this "learn at your own pace" strategy for second year. However, we have quizzes 2x a week (at least) that tend to put me in the "cram for next quiz" mode. Do you have quizzes? How do you find time to keep up with quizzes and still follow this strategy. We are a A, B, C, F graded school, so I dont think I could really blow off the quizzes...

I sure hope I figure something out before classes start so this year will be more successful than the last :(

NEVER GIVE UP! First year was miserable for me and I barely scraped by. At our school, our first semester started with anatomy, physiology, histology, cell biology, embryology, biochem/genetics, half of neuroscience, and Intro to Clinical Med all at the same time. Those classes stretched out for 2 terms so yeah, they gave us time, but still it was a challenge juggling all those classes. Sometimes we had to come Sat/Sun the weekend before a test for ICM to do patient exams. I was so depressed and miserable :( I was crying almost every day. Also, at our school, if you fail 2 classes in a semester (year?) you can get recommended for dismissal so everyone was stressed. (They would let you repeat the year but yeah some students did get kicked out). At least your school sounds a little more chill. So yeah, I really was wishing I had picked another career. But 2nd year was way better for me, becuase it was micro/immuno, pathology, pharmacology, behavioral science (easy) and intro to clinical med II. Then comes the hurdle of Step 1 and the crazy busy 3rd year rotations.

But overall, yeah I'd say it gets better after 1st. FOR SURE.

Keep your chin up sweetie. Ask your dean if they can find you a tutor? They generally have some sort of tutoring or free review programs.

Hope this helps :)

Well you passed your first year so you must be doing something right. Make sure to congratulate yourself because most people will never make it as far as you have.

I guess my only advice to you would be to tweak your skills in a way that works for you... try going to the office of student/educational affairs to see if they will offer you some support or advice for you. From what I can tell, second year is going to be more interesting, but at the same time it's far more likely that more information is going to be thrown at us and of course we have the boards looming over our heads at the same time.

I guess what worked best for me is repetition. I didn't waste a lot of time with study sheets because they took forever for me to make. I just kept reading my syllabus, highlighting and underlining in different colors what I thought to be important concepts (which would inevitably turn out to be everything). At the end I would end up reciting it to myself and try to put the concepts together in my head.

For things like anatomy, I had a white board to draw things out like the brachial plexus-- if it's a concept that could be/should be drawn out, I did. Active learning definitely helped me solidify it.

I didn't do group studying because I found that I digressed way too much. However, they may be really helpful for you. It sounds like you might need to change it up a bit; keep what works and change what doesn't.

bumping...to complement the other thread