Anyone else having trouble with their significant others?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oooo!! And will this prep center give me a "diagnostic" that I am sure to fail... so that when I take the real test and get average scores I feel like the course has really helped!!?

LOL!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have said this before and I will say it repeatedly. JUST BE SINGLE!! What is so bad about being single? I know some women have trouble with it, but it actually VERY liberating to be alone. I have learned that men can be a great deal of trouble...more than their worth. Why would I sacrifice my dream of being a physician for what....a man? Puhhhlease..no relationship is worth that.

Alicia

Yeah, but I don't think I could go 4 years without... um, you know... the 's' word.

Members don't see this ad :)
snow ballz-

I like the fact I am single...now I get to look at the candy without getting slapped for it.

I liked Andrew's thread. About the Vette. My husband has promised me a retroactive divorce. :( :( :( It is indirectly med-school related. What the hell, I'll just get a puppy; dogs are more loyal than men anyways.

Why can't i have my mid-life crisis (including shiny yellow Z06 Corvette) right now!?! No fair! --Trek

I don't hate boys anymore :) My boy made it up to me ;)

simseema: Glad to hear it ;)

I'm with Snow, at least mostly. I've been single(give or take a date or two) for a bit over a year, and I think the stability you have to reach could really be an asset in medical school. At least I hope so.

Then again, maybe a year is long enough :D
Any single pre-meds in the bay area?

This is certainly an interesting thread@!!

I see a lot of myself in some of these thoughts... from the past, when I was applying. It is all-consuming, and really encroached on my being. I thought (and my family was also telling me..) that it was important to not have many distractions from my ultimate goal; medical school.

Now I'm a third-year med student. And I see how important having a WHOLE life is. I can see some of my colleagues miserable because of what they've given up. And others happy to have something outside of medicine. Let me tell y'all... it doesn't get easier once you're in. In fact, it's necessary to have something to keep you sane. Something (friends, gf, family, etc) to tether your spirit to the ground, away from the nonsense of school...

I am happily relationshipped. It *is* a distraction. But without distraction, med school would really suck. :)

My caution: don't give up too much. You'll end up really embittered, and once you attain your "goal" of admission into med school, there's a whole new world of nonsense. (Then you have to honor Gross, then you have to kick ass on boards, then you have to honor surgery, then you have to kick ass on boards part two, then you have to match in a competitive residency, then you have to find a great fellowship position, then you have to find a top-notch attending position in a prestigious university, yada yada...) It only ends when you decide that it should. (for me, it ended with getting into med school)

Anyway, there's my two cents. Probably worth 1.5, with inflation.

Relationships can definitely be a distration...after my med school fiance and I broke up, he wrote me just to tell me that his test grades were now a letter grade higher than when we were dating. Ouch, burn me. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, atleast I'm not the only one that has had relationship trouble! Well I am a student at NC State University in Raleigh, NC. My ex goes to UNC!! BOOOOOOO!! Anyways I am a junior and have been extremely consumed with homework, classes, being the president of a premed club, and volunteering!! She is always busy with sorority stuff and school, she is a junior also!! Well she wants me to put her before school...that is so hard right now!! I'm getting ready to start studying for MCAT's...and with all this other stuff giong on..I want to do that..but I can't right now...and she just doesn't understand! Now we are not together and i want her back...but she doesn't want to date me right now!! She tells me how i'm so much better than all these guys she's dating..but...she says the time is not right for us to be together! I have heard from a lot of doctors that it is easier to get through med school without a relationship. I know that this does depend on the person and the circumstances..but I'm just frustrated with the whole relationship deal right now!! I know a tone of people breaking up right now...maybe its a seasonal thing..who knows!!Lata and keep it real!! :rolleyes:

hey Pimplepoppger,

well said. There is always one more step, one more test, one more accomplishment and after each one you've promised to begin living your life when in reality you've been living but never realized it. Bf and gf are distractions but what is so wrong about that person wanting to spend time with you and needing you for support. By no means am I saying that everyone should be in a relatioship, we are ready for these things at different times. But if you are waiting for the day when things slow down, when you are not busy and when "life" begins, you will wait for a long time. If it is not one thing it is another but know that carefree days are over forever. It is your responsibility to find time to live your life, on top of the other 1million to-do's today, whether or not you are in a relationship. Do what is important to YOU and what makes YOU happy, that way you have no regrets and you can't go wrong.

Andrea: What a bastard!! You should be happy he's gone.

Andrea -- I don't know the guy, but it sounds like his *ego* has also jumped up a few notches... what a jerk to tell you something like that... to even have thought about it in that way! You deserve way better, girlfriend, and don't you forget it. Any guy who has the audacity to tell his ex things like that is not worth your time any more.

Kygrldr2b, I love you honey. We will get into the same school :D , we are destined to be happy together, forever.

Relationship?? What relationship?? The $h%t hit the fan when I strated applying to med school. My bf of three years applied a few years back and did not get in. When I got my MCAT scores back two weeks ago(? stopped counting days since they got here!) he developed this complex that I think I am somehow superior to him. I also "never have time for him" which = I can't make the hour and a half drive to visit him as ofter now that I have a zillion secondary essays to write. I could care less about his percentile rankings, or that he didn't get into med school... but he couldn't seem to deal with the fact that I have a decent shot of being accepted. Go figure.... I guess it is a good thing I am finging these things out now vs. later! :(

alla: Your boy needs a good wack upside the head if you ask me. (figuratively speaking of course)

I have such a sweet boyfriend. Thanks nastyc5 ;).

I knew SDN was great b/c it covered a lot of the same questions and topics I was wondering about, but this thread, wow. Hit the nail on the head. I have been wondering for at least the past 3 yrs. how other pre-meds were able to pull everything off and a relationship too, b/c I certainly wasn't able to.

My bf and I of 2 years and a couple of months broke up as I started into my jr year (I'm a 5th yr senior now). Although there were other reasons to the breakup, I think it was mainly b/c I couldn't spend enough time w/ him. He was really upset about that. But according to my transcript, I must have been spending time w/ him! Since freshman year my grades went down, down, down. I was stressed out about my grades, about the MCAT, how I had no time for anything and I guess I was taking it out on him and I guess he could see it was just going to get worse, at least until the whole application thing ended. I was extremely upset about the breakup and skipped taking the April MCAT. Another fallout of the relationship is that I'm here for my 5th year to try and get some decent grades. I still miss him a lot and sometimes I get really ticked off that b/c of this long-time dream I have to be a doctor, it screwed up a good relationship w/ a wonderful guy. But on other days, I think things will work out in the end and I'll find the guy of my dreams. :)

Sorry for the long message. I'm so glad you guys can relate to how I feel.

csgirl- it was a major exercise in self-restraint no NOT whack him upside the head. I kiked him to the curb instead :D Evil, I know... but there is way too much going on right now to deal with a bunch of spaz-like behavior.