Anyone else seriously learning to trade...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmaSex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ever since March 2020 occurred and the stock market went freak ass crazy I've been putting in some serious effort into finally learning to trade stocks, options, futures, etc. Anyone else also going down this pathway?

I've always been interested in learning the ins and outs of the stock market and how to make money from price movements. But I graduated back in 2013 and just never had the money to really do anything, especially since I had a ton of credit card debt. Nowadays, I play with my 401K money in an IRA and plan to learn futures and apply to get a funded account. I genuinely want to go all the way and learn all I can as I am starting to get fed up with pharmacy. Looking for something I can do on my own time, from wherever I want, and without worry of licensing requirements and showing up to work, etc.

Figured I would start a thread if anyone was interested and we would perhaps pool thoughts and where to get good info to learn.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I've started selling far out the money puts on IWM and SPY, if I get assigned I don't particularly care because I'm only writing at prices I'm happy to hold long term. I just couldn't sit by and watch my cash in the bank making .5 to 1% while I know inflation is going to run high in the medium term.

Last edited:
if you don't already know....this is where all the cool kids hangout lol r/wallstreetbets

a couple of pharmacists in there too i think

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
if you don't already know....this is where all the cool kids hangout lol r/wallstreetbets

a couple of pharmacists in there too i think

YES!! One of the last places on the internet that isn't politically correct (besides for some incel type forums......*shudder*)
You have to sift through the joke/idiotic recommendations there, but occasionally you'll find some decent advise or at least decent ideas that can help you start to research what you want to invest in.

YES!! One of the last places on the internet that isn't politically correct (besides for some incel type forums......*shudder*)
You have to sift through the joke/idiotic recommendations there, but occasionally you'll find some decent advise or at least decent ideas that can help you start to research what you want to invest in.
yeh i try to look at it as a massive data point but sometimes i get caught up in the gambling side of things. During the March crash i made more money than i thought possible and then gave most of it back lol.

Don't hold until expiration

yeh i try to look at it as a massive data point but sometimes i get caught up in the gambling side of things. During the March crash i made more money than i thought possible and then gave most of it back lol.

lol happens to most everyone lol. Anyone who says otherwise is lying, because the rare few who don't give their tendies back to the stock market from day trades/options don't go around telling everyone about it haha.

I was thinking about investing in Ruger and some other gun companies when the pandemic hit. I didn't because of the wife didn't want me gambling our life savings on stocks. Now it's worth 3-4 times the value at the time. I would have had enough for a house down payment if I played.

Not sure why people waste their time even trying. You see random numbers tossed out all the time from less then 10% are successful (not losing money), less then 5% make a living, and less then 1% make real money.

But if you need a hobby, go for it. I prefer cheaper hobbies though.

If someone is going to post they are successful they should also post how much they are making.

A few hundred or even a thousand a month is not worth the time it takes to be successful.

You can't do this for fun, a lot of effort is needed.

Every trader understands the above post. That person isn't special.

Many of these are trades I am invested in for weeks to months at a time.

Pretty sure OP is looking at day trading.

Don't get so offensive

It's not hard making money in a bull market. I used to regularly make $50k a year off a $200k portfolio.

You've been doing this for 5 years in a completely bull market.

What is the most you've made in a month the past year and how many trades do you make a week? (Are you just here to gloat or help OP out?)

Last edited:
not trying to gloat, trying to encourage people to learn. however they have to be careful. I took some stupid losses to get to this point. don't post that much anymore here and am in the process of phasing out my sdn account. I trade multiple times per week. those are smaller trades for 1% to 5% of my account. I also like to trade much bigger for catalysts: upcoming data, special conferences, pdufa, earnings, etc. and also love the big growth names, buying on dips (amzn, apple, shop, etc). my income had exceeded rph wages on a monthly basis many times but not yet annual. however my rph wages are outlier. 2020 is my first year I might exceed this annually. it is a multi year process to learn investment skills and build an account. also had to learn how to hedge and even short a bit to bit to make income during bear market times.

Final question, how large is your trading account?

My issue is you are simply regurgitating any talking points any person could post.

Simple fact is most fail and it's a horrible decision. There should have been one post on this topic and the thread should have been closed. Go to a course and learn.

If you are putting 20 hours a week in you better be making at least $50k or it's wasting your time. (Equivalent to rph salary)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
account is in the range of what you were trading before. I also have some smaller accounts that I use for more aggressive trading. working on increasing the size but I'm in no hurry. I wouldn't call the time I spent wasted. mastery takes time. as long as I can get a positive return greater than the s&p then I have done my job. i may be able to live on this as a primary source of my income if pharmacy ever dries up. I am also into rentals. some of my profits have already been funneled into those other endeavors. taking a shot in life is not time wasted, plus my first couple years out were not that productive. maybe I was slow, but trading was not an immediate success for me.

So what's the trading account at?

If you are making $50k off a $30k account, good job. If it's a $200k account, well I was doing that with little effort.

By the sounds of it, you are making $10k trades looking to make 10% or so in a week or month.

Again that's not what the OP is looking for.

Successful day traders are making $150 to 300 per successful trade and losing $100 or less on losses making a couple trades a day.

I've considered it as I've always been interested in the markets and have a knack for stock picks. But, as others have mentioned, when you really dig into it there's a lot of snake oil salesman. Seems difficult to zero in what kind of money most full-time traders really make. My instinct is that it's not much (if any), and most fail.

None of the traders (degenerate gamblers) publish the account size and their year end P/L statement every year. That's all you need to know.

What about investing in really conservative and not so volatile stocks like APPL, AMZN, FACBOOK :)

Facebook can be volatile.

Is anyone trading options or interested in trading options?
Profit may be rather limited, but you can make money when stock market going up or down when you set up reasonable spreads for option contracts.

I started trying my hand in the stock market about 5 years ago, with some hope of side money but main goal was just to learn a new subject that seemed worth knowing about. I still haven't gotten the hang of more complicated trading options, so I mostly stick to just simple buy, hold, sell. I put in about 35k and not much more after that. It's at 115k now (105k at the start of the pandemic). Along the way, went through a steep learning curve the first 2 years which was a roller coaster ride of gains followed by losses...before finally figuring out what strategy was realistic for me. Two years ago was when I finally saw some decent lasting gain, and then the past year is when it pretty much doubled. I can't complain about the growth, but of course it's the missed chances and "what could have been" trades that stay with me. If I did everything right with the stocks I've owned i.e. hanging onto them for just a few more months instead of selling, putting more into a certain stock instead of spreading it to another one, selling right after a spike and getting back in at a pivotal moment a year later...I think it could have been at 250k instead of what it is.

I'm past the point of looking at my trading account as a source of side money, but something that I want to at least be enough to pay off my mortgage (although I probably wouldn't withdraw for that purpose). Reach goal is for it to grow enough to put it towards a legit passive income source.

Last edited:
Anyone with any good book recommendations for beginners? Although I'm not really a beginner, I just do whatever my co-worker tells me to do and I've doubled my money so far this year.

Anyone with any good book recommendations for beginners? Although I'm not really a beginner, I just do whatever my co-worker tells me to do and I've doubled my money so far this year.

What did your coworker tell you to do?

What did your coworker tell you to do?

Well, he told me to hold AMD, which I purchased some time ago. He told me to buy FIVERR stock, which I did at a cost basis of ~$46. He told me it might be worth buying some Tesla, which I did.

He's turned ~$400k of his own money into a portfolio worth over 2 million.

I make more money trading than I do working. So I make $93/hr as an rph, which would equate to about $190k a year.

Trading stocks I'm up $265k year to date.

I make more money trading than I do working. So I make $93/hr as an rph, which would equate to about $190k a year.

Trading stocks I'm up $265k year to date.

Sure you do.....

How's your wallstreetbets boys doing?

• Haha
I lost a total $117k trading stocks. You might earn a profit at the beginning but will always lose in the end. It is very difficult to be successful trading stocks.

I lost a total $117k trading stocks. You might earn a profit at the beginning but will always lose in the end. It is very difficult to be successful trading stocks.

Over what period of time? That's pretty bad.

It's been very easy to make extraordinary profits AND losses in the last couple of months so I wouldn't dismiss people's claims so casually.

In mid February I was up 25% YTD (yes, only 1.5 months), then I was down 16% YTD mid March (thanks to a 33% loss in just 1 month -- OUCH!) I didn't really trust the recent rally so I half heartedly traded since then but even so I still made 40% in 4 months to wind up a net of +18% YTD as of today. My trading strategy is writing cash secured puts.

Before this year I made 80% in the preceding 13 months primarily with a couple of swing trades and had just started cash secured put writing.

All I trade is a 3x leveraged ETF; TQQQ. I am comfortable with the risks on 3x leveraged ETF's. But I won't do margin with leveraged ETFs anymore -- combined this adds so much more risk that you may not recover from a huge downturn -- the coronavirus crash proved me right on this. Plus leveraged ETF's don't charge interest like margin borrowing does. And I won't touch any individual stocks no matter how good they look so that's why I trade only diversified ETFs (if Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos got hit by a meteorite where would their stocks go?!) I have 30+ years of experience with options so I don't recommend my trading strategy to beginners.

I think day trading is difficult to do if you have a full time job because you should pay attention to minute by minute market moves to be successful in the long term. Swing trading is easier for pharmacists, by definition a swing trader holds stock for a day to a week to a few weeks at most. But it's basically a market timing strategy - buy low, sell high. And there's nothing wrong with buy and hold, even with the March crash the buy and hold investors are doing break even in the short term and definitely doing well for the long term. Plus you can sleep pretty well at night.

Last edited:
I've said it once and I'll say it again. If these people think it's so easy they should be investing other people's money too.

Why not?

Consider the $117K loss an expensive lesson -- I wouldn't recommend quitting stocks. You can always recover your losses (as long as you are not wiped out per my previous comment on margin).

I took a 33% percent loss in the coronavirus crash (which was much more than $117K) and then realized the market was going down more. I pulled out completely which most experts will say is dangerous to do because you may miss out on the following rally. Well, I was right for awhile as the market continued to drop (and the ETF I traded dropped 50% more) but I totally missed getting back in when the S&P was at 2200 (I was waiting for 2000 to jump back in). And when the market continued to rally I still felt it was premature and didn't get back in until late April.

The important thing in all of the above was I was certain the market would recover (just mistimed the "when" part). And in hindsight, even if I continued my money losing options strategy through the additional 50% downturn I would not have been wiped out and then I would not have missed the rally and I would have wound up way ahead (probably +100% instead of the +40% I gained.) So always plan for a downturn and plan for the following upturn, you will wind up profitable in the long term.

I used to be in the financial industry, we have a saying about Main Street investors -- they buy high and sell low (and then quit).

I've said it once and I'll say it again. If these people think it's so easy they should be investing other people's money too.

Why not?
I used to be a Series 7 & 63 financial consultant so I can lend some insight into this. It's actually NOT a very easy thing to invest others people's money. You'd want to have a degree in psychology because investing other people's money means dealing with lots and lots of headaches.

I put one investor in an S&P 500 index mutual fund -- no brainer right? Heck no, the investor was so unsophisticated that she checked the fund value EVERY day and would complain every time the fund dropped a FEW PENNIES! She couldn't sleep at night because she felt she was losing money (sheesh, it was properly explained a mutual fund is not a CD and subject to fluctuating valuations!)

Other investors are really high maintenance, I know one broker dropped a good account because she took up all of his time with phone calls, etc.

Every weird personality -- yeah you will have to deal with them too.

And of course the accusations when they lose money (even temporary) -- oh, too many horrible stories to count.

So I hope that sheds more light. You seriously need to have the patience of a saint at times and other times you want to prescribe them psych meds LOL!

I used to be a Series 7 & 63 financial consultant so I can lend some insight into this. It's actually NOT a very easy thing to invest others people's money. You'd want to have a degree in psychology because investing other people's money means dealing with lots and lots of headaches.

I put one investor in an S&P 500 index mutual fund -- no brainer right? Heck no, the investor was so unsophisticated that she checked the fund value EVERY day and would complain every time the fund dropped a FEW PENNIES! She couldn't sleep at night because she felt she was losing money (sheesh, it was properly explained a mutual fund is not a CD and subject to fluctuating valuations!)

Other investors are really high maintenance, I know one broker dropped a good account because she took up all of his time with phone calls, etc.

And of course the accusations when they lose money (even temporary) -- oh, too many horrible stories to count.

So I hope that sheds more light. You seriously need to have the patience of a saint at times and other times you want to prescribe them psych meds LOL!

That had nothing to do with gambling on the market.

Tell your neighbor you can make him 25% from now until the end of September and he'll gladly give you money.

People need to stop putting ideas into others brains that day trading is this retire early plan.

That had nothing to do with gambling on the market.

Tell your neighbor you can make him 25% from now until the end of September and he'll gladly give you money.

People need to stop putting ideas into others brains that day trading is this retire early plan.
No, it really isn't that easy to get people to part with their money. You may peak their interest but getting the money is a whole other story. But I agree people should not say day trading is easy (it's actually very time consuming to be successful, can earn more with your day job).

Trading isn't gambling. House always has the odds in their favor when gambling. You can win above market returns long term -- luck certainly helps but skill and discipline are very important. After all the stock market has positive returns over the long term, odds are in our favor.

And just 25%?! My plan is to make 100% from now to end of the year, LOL!

Actually, I do have a trading plan in place to end up +100%. It involves weekly option trades, volatility to remain the same or higher, and the overall market to be slight down to bullish by year end. Earn about 3.1% each week (which compounded goes to 100%).

Sounds like that dude wazoodog.

But, I'll not put my money to someone with student loans and claimed he make 25-100% consistently lmao. I'm stupid but not that stupid.

Post your next 5 trade in the entry and exit thread as you buy and then as you sell. Prove it

Instead, he's going to tell us what stocks he bought a year ago just like everyone else there. No one here actually posts what they buy until they already doubled their money.

I have recently started trading theta strategies and it's been working out better than naked options for me. Definitely still a beginner, but selling weekly CSP with high IV and profiting off theta and IV decay has worked well for me. If you are wheeling options on stocks you don't mind holding, you should get at least 2% returns per week. My theta strategy account size is definitely smaller compared to most of y'all (since I am a new graduate and my major portfolio is to buy and hold long term growth stocks). I doubt this strategy will be sustainable long term since the premiums for options won't be as high if coronavirus market ever ends, but I'm hoping to make as much as I can in the meantime. Check out r/thetagang if anyone is interested.

Edit: 2% returns per week, but keep in mind that you run the risk for the market to tank and having to hold at a loss until the stock recovers (but you can sell CC on them). If I was running a larger account, I would sell CSP on SPY, QQQ, etc with longer DTE of 30-45 and focus on smaller 1% returns, but at lower risk as well.

I have recently started trading theta strategies and it's been working out better than naked options for me. Definitely still a beginner, but selling weekly CSP with high IV and profiting off theta and IV decay has worked well for me. If you are wheeling options on stocks you don't mind holding, you should get at least 2% returns per week. My theta strategy account size is definitely smaller compared to most of y'all (since I am a new graduate and my major portfolio is to buy and hold long term growth stocks). I doubt this strategy will be sustainable long term since the premiums for options won't be as high if coronavirus market ever ends, but I'm hoping to make as much as I can in the meantime. Check out r/thetagang if anyone is interested.
I don't think many of the folks here will understand the acronyms you use. CSP = cash secured put, CC = covered call.

2% compounded weekly is a 180% annual return, nothing to sneeze at.

I have a suggestion. Instead being put the stock and selling a covered call on Monday, I might recommend you simply do a calendar rollover on Friday to next expiry date. I don't like going through the weekend essentially holding a stock without an option premium to absorb possible further downside on Monday. You also get a little more option premium capture by writing the put before the weekend.

Same thing with options that expire out of the money, I tend to like to close them out with a rollover Friday. The amount I pay to close out the old option is usually more than offset by the premium I get paid on the new option vs. waiting till Monday after the old option expires and selling a new option then.

Of course, you could get lucky on Monday if you are put the stock and it goes up before you write a call and I've had that happen. But I'll be happy to give up that potential upside if I'm worried there's more downside risk.

I use E*Trade and they have a nifty options feature to simplify rollovers with net credit orders.

I don't think many of the folks here will understand the acronyms you use. CSP = cash secured put, CC = covered call.

2% compounded weekly is a 180% annual return, nothing to sneeze at.

I have a suggestion. Instead being put the stock and selling a covered call on Monday, I might recommend you simply do a calendar rollover on Friday to next expiry date. I don't like going through the weekend essentially holding a stock without an option premium to absorb possible further downside on Monday. You also get a little more option premium capture by writing the put before the weekend.

Same thing with options that expire out of the money, I tend to like to close them out with a rollover Friday. The amount I pay to close out the old option is usually more than offset by the premium I get paid on the new option vs. waiting till Monday after the old option expires and selling a new option then.

Of course, you could get lucky on Monday if you are put the stock and it goes up before you write a call and I've had that happen. But I'll be happy to give up that potential upside if I'm worried there's more downside risk.

I use E*Trade and they have a nifty options feature to simplify rollovers with net credit orders.

I have been looking at rollovers, but tbh I don't really see the point. Rolling is essentially combining 2 separate independent plays into one. If I really didn't want to be assigned a stock, I should have not sold puts on this stock or I can just buy back the put at a small loss and sell another put (which is the same as rolling) or sell a put on a different stock. I usually try to not get assigned on my CSP (since puts have higher premiums than calls). Not saying it is not a viable/good strategy, but I don't really understand the appeal of rolling probably because I like to rotate between stocks that have high IVs that week due to either earnings/news or just happens to be at a lower strike price than the 30 day average (hence reducing my risk of getting assigned). If I had the money to roll QQQ/SPY without having to leverage my entire account, I might roll my trades.

I definitely agree with closing on Friday or even earlier. When a CSP drops so much in premium on Friday expiration (or even earlier), it is definitely worth it to close early rather than let it expire since you can earn more premium from the decay that occurs over the weekend. A post I saw that made a strong impression on me is that if it is not a play I would enter at this point in time (due to how low the premium is), it is probably time to close the position.

We have claims now of making 2-3% weekly.

Oh come on. You guys would be running some of the biggest firms if you can consistently do that.

There's a reason you don't see any funds that are run by day trading.

Oh come on. You guys would be running some of the biggest firms if you can consistently do that.

Certainly this sort of return runs high risk and is not sustainable in a normal market. Let me specify further that I started very recently due to the sideways weeks so I probably won't be able to repeat this success for long term. I don't know if you have paid attention to option premiums, but IV is ridiculously high for a lot of options currently. Also keep in mind I am running a smaller account doing these trades, utilizing between 5k-10k on theta plays. A firm running tens or hundreds of millions on trades obviously wouldn't employ these strategies playing weekly puts (would also have a hard time finding buyers for that many short dated options). Hell even if I was running a 100k account I probably would utilize less risky strategies to avoid blowing up my account. I also did mention that I have started doing this recently so its possible that I could get hit by a string of red days and take assignments that take weeks to break even. If you would like, I certainly don't mind sharing my recent trade history. However, also feel free to disregard my post as complete bs if it doesn't conform to your opinions.

First, we're not day trading. Second, if I continue doing this successfully I plan on moving to Puerto Rico and take advantage of the special tax exemption on capital gains for US citizens LOL!

You can verify the strategy easily by looking up option quotes. For example, on Friday TQQQ closed at $126.99 a share. The 1 week option at a strike price of $127 (at the money) was around $4.73 per option. So if I sold this option and it expired worthless I made 3.72% in one week. If TQQQ stays sideways or goes up you can repeat this all year. Volatility is also a variable and 3.7% is a pretty hefty return so this will also fluctuate. Now TQQQ is a very high volatility ETF so the biggest challenge is what to do when TQQQ goes south on you -- that's the part where strategy, skill and discipline come in.

A real recent example of mine was selling $118 strike price puts for $4.20 on 7/21, a Tuesday, when the price was just under $118. If the ETF stays at or above $118 I make 3.55% in just 4 days - excellent return! Well, two days later, the price nose dives to $109 (paper loss of ~4.1%). The next day is when it is going expire and dives even lower to $101 before recovering to $106. I decide I don't want to be assigned the ETF so I rollover the option to next week earning a net credit of $1.20, now I've taken $5.40 with no realized losses (paper loss 5.6%). The following Thursday the ETF rises to $113 but I'm worried about the earnings reports coming after the bell. So I take no chances and rollover again taking in another credit of $2.45, a total of $7.85 with no realized losses (paper gain 2.4%). Well, on Wednesday 8/5 the ETF is $126 and I decide to close it out paying $0.50 so my total profit is $7.35 and I had to reserve $118 in cash, a profit of 6.23% over 15 days -- a compounded annual gain of 335% if I could continually repeat this. It's big if but if I can attain anything north of 100% annual, I'd be pretty happy :D

P.S. @Thestrugglez, FYI call options have higher premiums than puts -- basic option valuation, because you can earn interest on the cash securing the put. You can look this up. I was tempted to switch to the call side because of course E*Trade and other brokerages pay you basically nothing on cash balances (in essence selling calls allows me to "recapture" the interest.) But then I would lose the flexibility to initiate put spreads to hedge downside and/or increase buying power which is why I stick to rolling over puts.

There must be billionaires on this forum!

Post your next 5 trade in the entry and exit thread as you buy and then as you sell. Prove it

The reason why TSLA is so high is that I sell options all the time. When it hits the strike, I have to sell at the strike, so the gains look redic on that. If I have enough to sell 3 contracts a week, and it's about $2k each, that's $6k a week. Per month at $24k. I make more doing this than working as a pharmacist. My paycheck at work is $0 since it's all going to federal taxes. I can prove this too lol.

Screenshot_20200809-180204.jpg

The reason why TSLA is so high is that I sell options all the time. When it hits the strike, I have to sell at the strike, so the gains look redic on that. If I have enough to sell 3 contracts a week, and it's about $2k each, that's $6k a week. Per month at $24k. I make more doing this than working as a pharmacist. My paycheck at work is $0 since it's all going to federal taxes. I can prove this too lol.

View attachment 315368
Ha, you are kidding right?

You made a big bet and got lucky on Tesla. Everyone made money on Tesla during that run. Well except for one person who rather would play CVS

Welcome to another wallstreetbets bro folks.

I will say this congrats on the Tesla bet and please stop while you are ahead.

However, mark my words, this guy will be broke soon.

Last edited:

You made a big bet and got lucky on Tesla. Everyone made money on Tesla during that run. Well except for one person who rather would play CVS

I will say this congrats on the Tesla bet and please stop while you are ahead.

However, mark my words, this guy will be broke soon.

I can do the same thing selling contracts of Amazon or msft or goog. I just prefer Tesla.

I can do the same thing selling contracts of Amazon or msft or goog. I just prefer Tesla.
Come back in one year and let me know how things go

It's not hard to gamble and win when the stock you choose is up 250%

For every wallstreetbets winner there are hundreds of losers.

Don't fall for this

Well if you have money it's easier to get dem capital gainz. Not saying I would put > $1 million in TSLA stock or have $1 million in collateral to sell TSLA weekly puts, but still

It was during 2014-2016. I lost big in biotech during the election when Hillary Clinton attacked Valeant Pharmaceuticals. All biotech stocks plummeted and I lost $90k in one day due to margin calls.
Sorry to hear that bro. This is the reason I tell folks to stay away from margin and also single stocks.

Mark my words, this guy will be broke soon.
@wagrxm2000 hey bro, that's pretty rude. Yes, anyone who bought Tesla since June of 2019 has made out like bandits. Give the man props for a lucky pick.

But @aznkukuboi , I would heed @wagrxm2000 's warning anyway. You've had a great run at EXTREME RISK. Probably best to diversify and reduce your risk exposure, see @PharmacistFl12 's story.

Sorry to hear that bro. This is the reason I tell folks to stay away from margin and also single stocks.

@wagrxm2000 hey bro, that's pretty rude. Yes, anyone who bought Tesla since June of 2019 has made out like bandits. Give the man props for a lucky pick.

But @aznkukuboi , I would heed @wagrxm2000 's warning anyway. You've had a great run at EXTREME RISK. Probably best to diversify and reduce your risk exposure, see @PharmacistFl12 's story.

Rude good advice?

I guess I'll take it. This guy is playing with fire.