Anyone ever had an attending push them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In most cases academia is a perverse environment, my thoughts are with the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Meeting with HR rep and two bosses tomorrow. Hoping to at least avoid any adverse action on my record before I go. It looks like nothing will happen to the attending and she may still be allowed to evaluate me, but we'll see.

I think the PD and Vice Chair were not expecting me to invite HR to the meeting, and I only just informed them today, so it will be interesting to see how that impacts everything.

Reactions: 1 users
Meeting with HR rep and two bosses tomorrow. Hoping to at least avoid any adverse action on my record before I go. It looks like nothing will happen to the attending and she may still be allowed to evaluate me, but we'll see.

I think the PD and Vice Chair were not expecting me to invite HR to the meeting, and I only just informed them today, so it will be interesting to see how that impacts everything.
good for you!
do they know that there is a police report?
good luck !

good for you!
do they know that there is a police report?
good luck !
So I just got news from the HR rep that she can't attend because another HR rep is investigating. I was forwarded that HR rep's info and invited to contact her with questions, and said she'd be contacting me, but nothing. This is not shaping up well.

I'm celebrating tonight like it's the last supper. Pretty sure it's all over tomorrow.

So I just got news from the HR rep that she can't attend because another HR rep is investigating. I was forwarded that HR rep's info and invited to contact her with questions, and said she'd be contacting me, but nothing. This is not shaping up well.

I'm celebrating tonight like it's the last supper. Pretty sure it's all over tomorrow.

What does that mean, another HR rep is investigating?

What does that mean, another HR rep is investigating?
I'm not provided a lot of useful information in this process. All I know is the HR rep I initially contacted said she could not be present tomorrow, gave me the info of the other person investigating, said "she is happy to respond to your questions" and will probably be contacting me today. I called her twice no response, she has still not contacted me, and it is well past business hours.

I really feel like you need an advocate at this meeting. As proven by their actions so far, the chair/vice chair appear to be unclear on the policies that your hospital and GME office undoubtedly have against physical contact / aggression and against retaliation for reporting. While it's possible that there are no such specific policies in place, if you're working at a hospital that is pretty darn unlikely. Your chairs are academics; I completely get that this is a bit out of their normal world and they may not know hospital regulations backwards and forwards... but you need to have someone there who does. Call the other HR person. Now. If he/she can't be there, let them know that you expect them to find someone from HR who can. Also if you're at a larger hospital / program with multiple residencies, you likely have a GME office and VP / dean that the individual programs fall under. Either before or after the meeting, at your discretion, this could be another person to consider involving. Assuming you've been forthcoming in what's been written here, you are in the right. Please don't forget that, even in the face of your chair etc suggesting otherwise.

I really feel like you need an advocate at this meeting. As proven by their actions so far, the chair/vice chair appear to be unclear on the policies that your hospital and GME office undoubtedly have against physical contact / aggression and against retaliation for reporting. While it's possible that there are no such specific policies in place, if you're working at a hospital that is pretty darn unlikely. Your chairs are academics; I completely get that this is a bit out of their normal world and they may not know hospital regulations backwards and forwards... but you need to have someone there who does. Call the other HR person. Now. If he/she can't be there, let them know that you expect them to find someone from HR who can. Also if you're at a larger hospital / program with multiple residencies, you likely have a GME office and VP / dean that the individual programs fall under. Either before or after the meeting, at your discretion, this could be another person to consider involving. Assuming you've been forthcoming in what's been written here, you are in the right. Please don't forget that, even in the face of your chair etc suggesting otherwise.

agree with this 100% you need to go to HR 1st thing in the morning and talk to someone...don't wait for a phone call.

Reactions: 4 users
Completely agree with having someone else there in the meeting. As mentioned, I called the other HR person twice. As far as contacting the GME expecting an advocate at this point, I am told by my Vice Chair that that is foolish. No matter how nicely I ask nor how persistent I am, I can't seem to be able to get someone else to be present for these meetings.

Completely agree with having someone else there in the meeting. As mentioned, I called the other HR person twice. As far as contacting the GME expecting an advocate at this point, I am told by my Vice Chair that that is foolish. No matter how nicely I ask nor how persistent I am, I can't seem to be able to get someone else to be present for these meetings.
Then don't go.

Where is your PD? Where are your chiefs? Where are the other attendings in your department? Where is the GME head? Where is risk management? Where is HR? Where is the hospital ombudsman?

Assuming you work in an academic medical center, in a program with more than 1 resident/decade, there are literally 2 or 3 dozen people who could easily be expected to fill the role of your advocate at this meeting. If you can't rally at least one of them to stand by your, either you need to delay this meeting, or there's more to the story than you're telling us. I'm assuming that's not the case though.

Reactions: 15 users
Then don't go.

Where is your PD? Where are your chiefs? Where are the other attendings in your department? Where is the GME head? Where is risk management? Where is HR? Where is the hospital ombudsman?

Assuming you work in an academic medical center, in a program with more than 1 resident/decade, there are literally 2 or 3 dozen people who could easily be expected to fill the role of your advocate at this meeting. If you can't rally at least one of them to stand by your, either you need to delay this meeting, or there's more to the story than you're telling us. I'm assuming that's not the case though.
I have contacted the ombudsman in the last week but she was unable to schedule 11 am, already tried HR, forewent contacting the GME because I had already initiated with HR, I don't have a chief, risk management forwarded me to HR, and let me tell you the process of engagement of these advocates takes time. There is not more to the story. There are simply tactics that people use to avoid having witnesses.

Delaying the meeting could be seen as an act of insubordination and could result in me formally having a documented leave when otherwise there may have been none. It is clear to me at this point in the process that I am being cornered/intimidated into submission.

Reactions: 1 user
Then don't go. Or, arrive at the appointed time, announce to all present that you will be recording the conversation going forward since your HR representative was unable to make it, and that anyone who doesn't consent to being recorded is welcome to leave the meeting. I suspect you'll find yourself in a nearly empty room at that point. If you don't....

Reactions: 5 users
Then don't go. Or, arrive at the appointed time, announce to all present that you will be recording the conversation going forward since your HR representative was unable to make it, and that anyone who doesn't consent to being recorded is welcome to leave the meeting. I suspect you'll find yourself in a nearly empty room at that point. If you don't....
I get why you think that is the right thing to do... just not picturing that going very well.

I get why you think that is the right thing to do... just not picturing that going very well.

Do you have a lawyer? If not, I would strongly recommend having one involved on your behalf. Your program is rail-roading you out.

I'm just not sure why you keep hesitating to take all action necessary to save your career, OP.

i agree with gutonc with announcing that you will be recording this meeting if you cannot get someone else to come with you. At this point, things are not going to go well if you don't have at least a witness in there even if they are not an advocate... i almost want to say that you need at this point a lawyer to go with you.

again GO to the HR office and make someone come with you....

OK. Deep breath everyone.

First, they haven't said that HR won't be there, just that someone else from HR will be there. It is very common for a single person from HR to be part of the process -- that way they get to speak to everyone, know all sides to the story, etc. There isn't a person from HR to represent the program, and someone else to rep the resident. I agree it's concerning that the HR rep hasn't responded to your calls / contact, but (perhaps) there's a benign explanation.

Not going to this meeting is a big mistake. They can fire you for not going to the meeting. Not showing up for work is a firable offense, and this meeting is part of work.

Recording the meeting is unlikely to happen. You can ask to record the meeting, but it's unlikely to be granted. There is a small chance that HR will record the meeting. If you want the meeting recorded, your best option is to ask HR to record it. Seems like a silly difference -- you recording it vs HR -- but you can request it from HR and point out that from your viewpoint there appear to have been miscommunications, and hence having a recorded copy of the conversation would be helpful. This would mean that HR would keep the recording, and you might (or might not) get a copy if you ask. But at least you'd know there was a recording. Still, I expect this will be declined.

What I might do is go to HR at 9AM and ask to speak to the HR rep. They may decline and simply want to have all communication at the meeting -- that would be a bit weird and concerning, but not guaranteed of disaster.

You only can bring an advocate if they give you permission to do so. That's something that's worth asking the HR rep in the AM, if there's someone who could come at 11. If the meeting begins and there's no HR rep there, then I absolutely would insist on waiting until there is a rep present. Make sure you get the full names of everyone present.

Folks keep mentioning this police report. I would only bring this up if everything goes sideways, but by then, well, everything has gone sideways and it's not going to change the short term outcome. The police report is simply your word against theirs (I think?). It's going to be hard to prove. And, there was that incident where someone running for congress body slammed a reporter, on video. End result was basically nothing. Given that, I doubt this is going to be much help. If it all implodes tomorrow, then I think you can consider telling them you're getting a lawyer and plan to start legal proceedings to get credit for your training, financial compensation, and perhaps individual action against the chair. Try to keep your cool -- getting visibly angry isn't going to help. Threatening legal action isn't going to scare anyone -- so only use it as your conversation terminator. And be careful pulling the pin from that grenade -- even if the meeting tomorrow results in a negative action for you, you still can (likely) appeal it through the GME office, and perhaps have other remedies.

Try to get some sleep tonight. Like others here, I am worried about how this is playing out. But it might all be fine still.

So, summary of advice:
1. Take a deep breath.
2. Take another deep breath.
3. Consider either contacting HR tomorrow to meet the HR rep, or just go there at 9AM to try to meet with them. They might refuse and state they can only meet with you as part of the meeting (which isn't really true, but there's nothing you can do about it).
4. This might go better than you expect. All of this crazy posturing might be them trying to figure out how to fix things and save themselves.
5. If things don't go well, my advice would not be to threaten legal action directly. There are likely ways to appeal / grieve an adverse decision internally, and you want to keep as much good will as possible. That said, if things don't go well, then you absolutely get a lawyer and start exploring legal options -- just don't tell them, yet.
6. The hardest situation you might be in tomorrow is that they say that you "screwed up", but offer you some way to "fix" the problem that allows you to graduate, and doesn't put a black mark on your file. Then, what to do is a tough call. You could suck it up, agree to their offer/plan, graduate, and move on. It would involve admitting to something that really wasn't your fault. But it would be over. Or, you could decline and insist on something more fair to you -- but that will drag this out and it could get uglier.
7. Unless they fire you on the spot, for anything else you should refuse to sign anything without a chance to review it first. As mentioned above, ask for 48 hours, which would be Friday by 5PM.

Reactions: 9 users
First, they haven't said that HR won't be there, just that someone else from HR will be there.

You only can bring an advocate if they give you permission to do so. That's something that's worth asking the HR rep in the AM, if there's someone who could come at 11. If the meeting begins and there's no HR rep there, then I absolutely would insist on waiting until there is a rep present.

They never said an HR rep would be there. The first HR rep just all the sudden said she couldn't show up because another HR rep was doing the investigation. Then the (bs) comment that the new HR rep would be contacting me TODAY and welcomes any questions. That proved to not be true. There is simply no benign explanation for what is going on. I am about to be cornered tomorrow.

OK. Deep breath everyone.

Isn't it pathetic that her PD is no where to be seen in any of this? I guess I am blessed to have trained at wonderful places but my PDs would have been all over this.

Isn't it pathetic that her PD is no where to be seen in any of this? I guess I am blessed to have trained at wonderful places but my PDs would have been all over this.
PD was the one from the beginning saying not to litigate. He is one of the two in the meeting. Had known him as a decent guy until this point, and it got all awkward because it involves one of his colleagues.

A week away from work and lots of time to ruminate. But five days ago I was just as outraged as you all because after so many years of post-graduate training I thought I had so many more advocates in my workplace than I apparently do.

They never said an HR rep would be there. The first HR rep just all the sudden said she couldn't show up because another HR rep was doing the investigation. Then the (bs) comment that the new HR rep would be contacting me TODAY and welcomes any questions. That proved to not be true. There is simply no benign explanation for what is going on. I am about to be cornered tomorrow.

Ah. I misunderstood. Then more reason to try to go to HR tomorrow AM and sort it out.

At the beginning of the meeting, you should request that someone from HR be present. They will refuse, or say that no one is available.

At the end of the meeting, write down everything that happened, in as much detail as possible.

I am worried about this for you. I still have some hope it will work out.

Your PD is one of these yahoos, if I remember the beginning of this conv. It's sad.

Reactions: 3 users
PD was the one from the beginning saying not to litigate. He is one of the two in the meeting. Had known him as a decent guy until this point, and it got all awkward because it involves one of his colleagues.

A week away from work and lots of time to ruminate. But five days ago I was just as outraged as you all because after so many years of post-graduate training I thought I had so many more advocates in my workplace than I apparently do.

Ugh your PD sounds like a weasel and an embarrassment to medical education.

Goodluck tomorrow.

Its hard to know what will happen tomorrow, and probably it is best not to ruminate too much and just see what happens.

I can see their approach as one of two possibilities.

1) They want to find a solution where everyone saves face.
2) They are about to railroad you out of the program.

Hopefully, its possibility 1.

One thing that does concern me is the fact that a different HR person is handling your case now. This is not the HR person you talked to. Why didn't the HR person you talked to tell you your case was being transferred to someone else? I almost wonder (this is my pessimistic hat) if your department didn't simultaneously or beforehand initiate a case against you via HR and that's why someone else is handling your case without the person you talked to knowing about it until after the fact.

Overall, my advice (for what it is worth) is:
1) Don't raise your voice
2) Don't get upset
3) DO insist that you are in the right. Don't let them pretend that you did anything wrong. Don't be defensive about telling your fellow resident what happened. Be insistent "I was assaulted/battered, there were independent witnesses who came forward without my prompting them to, and there is no reason why I couldn't have been transferred to another attending/service subsequent to this incident." Be professional, polite, but firm on these points.
4) While being persistent and firm, also work with them to give them an out to "save face" without significant consequence to you. For instance, if you have to do some bogus apology to graduate on time without a negative comment in your file, or listen to a reprimand without it being on your official record, then be willing to do it.

Having said all that about not raising your voice and not getting upset, I wish I could tell you that that is always the right strategy. Unfortunately, it isn't always the case. Sometimes, some people only respond to anger and aggression. I hope that isn't the case here but I can't rule it out.

Lastly, the Vice Chair does not sound like they are on your side with their comment about the GME. If they said to you "We all want an amicable resolution, we aren't here to railroad you, so I don't see the need for GME involvement," that would be one thing. But the way you described it, it sounded more like they didn't want the GME get in the way of their punishing you.

Sounds like a puppet PD. Pathetic puppet and human. The idea that this person has the responsibility of training our future doctors goes to show just how broken and corrupt our med ed system is.

I'll keep you in my thoughts. You've been through hell these past two weeks and hopefully you get some clarity tomorrow.

Last edited:
I find it horrible that they are this accepting of what sounds like a horrific situtation. If you did this to a patient, a student or anyone on the street things would happen. Why is it acceptable to treat a resident this way? I hope that the turns out better for you tomorrow than you are fearing. Hopefully they won't want to have to explain to the acgme and will not put anything into your file.

Well however it works out tomorrow, a sincere THANK YOU to everyone who has responded to this dramatic drawn-out thread. Needless to say, this experience has rocked my world. Thanks for listening.

Being the eternal pessimist, this isn't going to end well. I hope I'm wrong.

But looking at the situation objectively, a hot head attending assaults a resident. The resident has 2 weeks left on service and will graduate in a few months.

If the program truly didn't care, they could have easily told the OP some BS about reprimanding the attending privately and keeping the two away from each other for 2 weeks.

Instead, she's been suspended for talking to someone else about it. When I read that, I just shook my head because that's the biggest fake bull$hit reason to suspend someone.

Now surprisingly, at an important meeting, OP has no advocate that is available in her corner.

They are preparing to drop the hammer on her.

I'm a big TV fan and this supposed meeting conjures up images of the Red Wedding. Fellow GoT fans will have a good idea what I mean.

I know it's been parroted a bunch of times but you should be consulting with a labor lawyer. Not saying they need to march into meetings with you but you can at least bounce ideas off of them etc and go into these situations prepared. They will know the finer points of labor law that we don't.

Unfortunately, I will completely admit my ignorance in a matter like this, so my advice is limited as is many of the posters in this thread.

Aprogrdirector is giving great advice, unfortunately it is only applicable when dealing with ethical and fair people, which is not your case.

This is all really unfortunate and makes me really glad for how an incident where I trained was dealt with. It involved an attending of a different service coming to my clinic to loudly berate me for an order that I only did because I attending requested it, the other attending refused to discuss it directly with the attending and was standing over me yelling at me loud enough for everyone to hear while I quietly repeated that I refused to discuss the situation with him and he should speak to my attending. At the time I halfway thought he might hit me. He only left because a different attending managed to escort him out of the room. I was so shocked by it that I did nothing at first but then the attending that escorted him out told me that he was reporting the incident and encouraged me to write down my recollection of things so that I could be ready to discuss it when HR contacted me (which they did very quickly). My PD talked to me about it too to see if I needed anything. I was asked what outcome I desired and I said I just wanted to make sure he wouldn't do it ever again and that I didn't want to see him for a while if possible. He ended up losing his position as chair of the other department and after a month or so had passed he apologized to me about his behavior (done in a way that I wasn't made nervous by his approach). Not sure if they made him do anything else (like anger management or something). But overall it was handled very well thanks to my clinic attending that rescued me and then refused to let it just slide. That sort of thing should really be the norm.

Reactions: 15 users
This is all really unfortunate and makes me really glad for how an incident where I trained was dealt with. It involved an attending of a different service coming to my clinic to loudly berate me for an order that I only did because I attending requested it, the other attending refused to discuss it directly with the attending and was standing over me yelling at me loud enough for everyone to hear while I quietly repeated that I refused to discuss the situation with him and he should speak to my attending. At the time I halfway thought he might hit me. He only left because a different attending managed to escort him out of the room. I was so shocked by it that I did nothing at first but then the attending that escorted him out told me that he was reporting the incident and encouraged me to write down my recollection of things so that I could be ready to discuss it when HR contacted me (which they did very quickly). My PD talked to me about it too to see if I needed anything. I was asked what outcome I desired and I said I just wanted to make sure he wouldn't do it ever again and that I didn't want to see him for a while if possible. He ended up losing his position as chair of the other department and after a month or so had passed he apologized to me about his behavior (done in a way that I wasn't made nervous by his approach). Not sure if they made him do anything else (like anger management or something). But overall it was handled very well thanks to my clinic attending that rescued me and then refused to let it just slide. That sort of thing should really be the norm.
Haha side discush: How often as a resident do you feel caught in the middle of inter-attending drama? So desperate to get away from academics... someone correct me if I'm wrong but seriously I'm praying there is a life on the other side...

You are rapidly reaching the point where you need an attorney. This is the last meeting where you aren't represented.

1. Do not resign. Even if they threaten to fire you. The outcome is the same except you can't appeal your resignation. Sign nothing tomorrow.
2. You want: no adverse credentialing or GME action. A written agreement that they will not disparage you. No further contact with this attending. Written assurance that your performance has met the standard for graduation.

You reported a physical assault and feel that the programs reaction has been retaliatory. The simple fact that they returned you to work with this attending after the report and before an investigation demonstrates that you were not taken seriously.

I would ask the HR rep for a copy of their policy on workplace violence prior to the meeting. You might even find it yourself on the web. Send the email tonight.

BTW, this thread is an excellent record of events. Your posts are time stamped. You should print it off for your records.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
The whole thing read like a roller coaster.

Goodluck OP.

Please keep us updated.

Haha side discush: How often as a resident do you feel caught in the middle of inter-attending drama? So desperate to get away from academics... someone correct me if I'm wrong but seriously I'm praying there is a life on the other side...
Luckily for me it wasn't that common (and not as dramatic as that one).

A little late, but you could always consult with r/legaladvice on reddit in the absence of a lawyer immediately at hand.

Something you might bring up if it becomes relevant: if the attending didn't do anything wrong, why were you suspended for telling someone about it? If it was THAT bad that they are willing to suspend you for talking about it, does that not prove that the offense is legitimate?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

From your other posts, it sounds like you are in pathology (so am I). There is no reason why you could not have been switched off service. None. There is no reason. This person could not have been suspended except one. Laziness. No one wanted to step in and be on her service because it's extra work.

From your other posts, it sounds like you are in pathology (so am I). There is no reason why you could not have been switched off service. None. There is no reason. This person could not have been suspended except one. Laziness. No one wanted to step in and be on her service because it's extra work.
Also because as I mentioned earlier the PD is backing her up - they are saying it's "just my side of the story" and I'm making this all up because I was about to get a bad grade from her. She must have completely denied the whole story when they questioned her.

Also because as I mentioned earlier the PD is backing her up - they are saying it's "just my side of the story" and I'm making this all up because I was about to get a bad grade from her. She must have completely denied the whole story when they questioned her.

Are we 12? You are about to graduate residency, who gives a **** if you get a "bad grade." Seems like a lame excuse by them.

Reactions: 5 users
The lack of further response here has me worried. Feel free to PM me if you're uncomfortable posting further information, if I can help. Good luck.

Reactions: 13 users
The lack of further response here has me worried. Feel free to PM me if you're uncomfortable posting further information, if I can help. Good luck.
I've been mildly on pins and needles about this, too. Hopefully, it was an NDA, and that means it's good. Although, even with an NDA, the OP could still say "I still have a job".

I've been mildly on pins and needles about this, too. Hopefully, it was an NDA, and that means it's good. Although, even with an NDA, the OP could still say "I still have a job".
"I still have a job for now"

Reactions: 29 users
I'm 9 years post-residency, and this thread has been very intriguing. Thank you for the update, albeit understandably brief, @Asteroid Body. ALL physicians can learn from this experience. I wish you the best and hope you're able to ultimately overcome this situation.

Reactions: 3 users
This is great to hear, as you are, full stop, not in the wrong, by ANY criteria.

I'll tell you a story that I've never told. When I was a med student, I still was certified as a paramedic, and worked on the ambulance on occasion. One day, I brought a grizzled, contracted old pt in for I forget what. This was 1999. I think the pt fell. I was unable to put on a c-collar due to the pt being calcified into a pretzel. The pt was neurovascularly intact. The EM resident, at SUNY-Buffalo, grabbed me by the right shoulder and spun me around with force, aggressively interrogating me as to why I didn't put on a c-collar. It was, plainly, assault and battery. 18 years later, I still remember who was the attending on. However, as I was hoping to match there for EM (I didn't), I didn't call 911, and I let the crime go. I had solid grounds to have this person arrested and charged, but, I felt, that would forever mark me.

To this day, I don't know if I did the right thing. However, I hope that you didn't get screwed, as you are NOT wrong.

So NDA is likely signed. I truly hope that they are letting you graduate on time without any blemish on your record and hopefully without any further contact with that attending. Whether or not they give you a "bad" grade is meaningless unless its bad enough to prevent you from passing and/or graduating. That is probably the best outcome you could hope for. I would have taken that deal in your situation, to be honest.

Its upsetting that in the end you have to essentially be expected to yield and act as if you did something wrong (you obviously didn't), but that's the problem with being the weak one in the relationship.

Most likely HR was already involved by the time you contacted that one HR rep, which is why a different rep is dealing with your case. Sounds like either a coworker or the PD/chair initiated that process earlier.

Good luck OP. I hope the next couple months go by without a hitch and you can just put all this behind you.

I know this is your life, OP, but this is the best soap opera I've ever been able to experience. I would pay a subscription fee to stuff like this. I'm glad that you have a job. I agree that you got 'em by the balls now. When they think they're safe, you drop the bomb of the police report and legal proceedings on them.

NDA signed under distress can't be seen as valid.