Anyone ever had an attending push them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
maybe he should drop an anonymous line to the ACGME...

OP can't be anonymous anymore at her program even via the ACGME.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That doesn't make me feel any better about this situation, but thanks for the positive encouragement I guess. You make adverse action sound like the dime a dozen norm.

Moreover, the OP is a Resident barely graduated with pending adverse action by the medical board...you think anyone is gonna jump to hire them?

Get real.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Take a little browse through these websites and let me know how rare these reports are. Keep in mind these are just the doctors/NPs/PAs that the board is DOING anything about.
Monthly Formal Action
Disciplinary Actions - Publications | Medical Board of California

The OP is not a resident. The OP is now a board eligible/certified attending physician. Yes, I think there are quite a few places that would love a warm body to sign charts and see patients and would jump to hire her depending on her specialty. Is a medical board report something to just ignore? No. Will it destroy her ability to get a medical license? Probably not, but if there do end up being difficulties, that's the point when I would be getting a lawyer involved

Reactions: 4 users
You have no idea what you're talking about. Take a little browse through these websites and let me know how rare these reports are. Keep in mind these are just the doctors/NPs/PAs that the board is DOING anything about.
Monthly Formal Action
Disciplinary Actions - Publications | Medical Board of California

The OP is not a resident. The OP is now a board eligible/certified attending physician. Yes, I think there are quite a few places that would love a warm body to sign charts and see patients and would jump to hire her depending on her specialty. Is a medical board report something to just ignore? No. Will it destroy her ability to get a medical license? Probably not, but if there do end up being difficulties, that's the point when I would be getting a lawyer involved

Mind if I ask if you are a physician who has been reported to the board?

Rather peculiar that you seem so intent on minimizing the significance of being reported...

Mind if I ask if you are a physician who has been reported to the board?

Rather peculiar that you seem so intent on minimizing the significance of being reported...
Unless you're sleeping with your patients or doing drugs/alcohol at work, losing your license is almost impossible. Gross negligence can lead to limitations on your license, but even that is really unusual in most states.

A board report is stressful, but mostly it costs you time and money to respond to and nothing comes of it.

Yes, but this event is so distant now that what isn't documented probably doesn't matter and the police report was filed several days after the event (if I remember correctly). The OP finished the program, didn't get fired.
How would you remember correctly? You just got here yesterday....

Or did you?

Reactions: 5 users
Pretty sure half the "people" in this thread are really one previously banned troll.
The concern trolls/sock puppets are obviously the ones egging me on to name the program.

Reactions: 2 users
The concern trolls/sock puppets are obviously the ones egging me on to name the program.

I don't get it. Create accounts to get you to reveal the name of your program?

I'd be worried it's someone from your program trying to set you up.

Reactions: 1 users
Is your program a low tier path program that is basically a private practice within a hospital that uses residents mainly to gross and cut frozens with no learning at all? With the way you describe this attending and your program director, it seems like that is the type of program you attended.

Is your program a low tier path program that is basically a private practice within a hospital that uses residents mainly to gross and cut frozens with no learning at all? With the way you describe this attending and your program director, it seems like that is the type of program you attended.
Nope. It is a well known program with a reputation for being malignant (at least, that's what I had heard from my medical school advisor before I applied). And until this nonsense happened I would have disputed that - the program had its issues but there was always quality teaching at the microscope, and the attendings were pretty cool in general.

One other observation @Asteroid Body -- Just because you are unaware of any action taken against the offending attending doesn't necessarily mean that nothing was done. It is the practice of corporate America to always protect those at the top of the food chain from embarrassment or loss of 'face' -- to the point of letting them resign with dignity, sometimes even, with a fat 'thank you for going away quietly' check. In this respect, your hospital is probably more like a corporation than anything else.

So if it's any consolation to you, something actually may have been done to them - though you'll probably never know it.

Of course, this was written before I read your "action taken against your license" (WTF?!) comment...

If they were smart, they'd ****ing hire you.
This thread started out so well. Had the potential to be the first thread ever with an enthralling start, and hopefully, appropriate conclusion. Instead, we're never gonna hear how the ops story ends, and the thread in turn has devolved into this tarded ****. Please kill it. Just remove it permanently.

Reactions: 3 users
This thread makes me question myself. If I had been pushed by an attending, I would have done nothing to complain about it. But I also thinks it's stunning we have a system in place where as a trainee I wouldn't have felt comfortable complaining about being pushed by an attending. I wonder how often stuff like this happens outside of medicine in other jobs.

BTW in some states you have up to a year to file an assault report with police.

They tend to take assault against a healthcare worker seriously...in some states it is a felony.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This thread makes me question myself. If I had been pushed by an attending, I would have done nothing to complain about it. But I also thinks it's stunning we have a system in place where as a trainee I wouldn't have felt comfortable complaining about being pushed by an attending. I wonder how often stuff like this happens outside of medicine in other jobs.
When I went through basic training in reception they were all about how no one was supposed to touch us and whatnot, but it did happen and I never considered complaining about the kicks when I wasn't moving fast enough or the rifle butt to the head when it got taken from me because I fell asleep. Had it been hard enough to injure maybe it would have been different.

A familiar sdn tale: I've been on a rotation for the last few months with an attending who yells, verbally berates me, is quick to point out my mistakes, gives me more than the usual resident's share of work assignments, and is generally miserable to work with. Thirty or more emails per day, even when she is not the attending (although she is service chief) needing status updates on cases. It seems most other people at work have at least peripherally experienced her anger outbursts. She is sometimes overheard at work yelling at her husband or other family members on the phone. I'm not training in psychiatry, but mental illness such as personality disorder is definitely in my differential diagnosis as an explanation for her behavior. Maybe she has some complex personal/family issues going on, who knows. I figured I'd just suck it up for the short term and do my best to react professionally to whatever insults she would throw my way, and at least appear to be taking her feedback into consideration.

But, she recently confronted me in the hallway to ask about a case (it turned out to be another resident's case), which escalated to ranting and posturing about... well frankly after about two minutes into her monologue with her face centimeters from mine, I can hardly recall anything she actually said. I must have tuned her out. Realizing this was getting nowhere and we both needed to cool off, I stepped back from her, at which point she pushed me pretty hard for trying to get away. I told her that I thought pushing me was inappropriate. She then seemed to get even more angry, brought me into a room and shut the door, when she continued to berate me, and after nodding my head at her for a few minutes, I attempted to leave at which point she blocked me from the door, holding the door shut, insisting she finish her point. She pushed me away from the door. When she wasn't as close to the door, I eventually walked out, and she followed me down the hallway and continued yelling at me at my desk. This is all witnessed by various people at various times during the argument. Oh and by the way this was in academic offices in the main hospital but not anywhere near patients.

So far I haven't found any threads on sdn describing anything like this, but I'm sure there are some of you that have heard stories about hospital employees being physically aggressive, and I'm not talking about the circumstance of a surgeon hitting the hand of a resident surgeon who is fumbling up in the surgical field. This had nothing to do with a patient emergency. What was the outcome, did the person who reported the aggression have any negative consequences? I'm sure a lot of this stuff goes unreported.

**** like that would get you shanked at my institution...just saying. ;)

Navigating this kind of thing is one of my biggest fears, actualized in a thread. :wow:

Navigating this kind of thing is one of my biggest fears, actualized in a thread. :wow:

Personal stories such as OP's are an immense learning opportunity for all of us. I hope the best for OP and find their courage and overall composure inspiring.

Personal stories such as OP's are an immense learning opportunity for all of us. I hope the best for OP and find their courage and overall composure inspiring.

As you pointed out earlier, it is best to assume the worst from the beginning and defend yourself. Don't rely or trust your program will do the right thing for you.

It is easy to state this now, but the overall tone and trajectory of the OPs remarks strongly suggest it was evident from the beginning the program had no interest in doing anything but covering it up and at the expense of whoever may be involved.

Last edited:
As you pointed out earlier, it is best to assume the worst from the beginning and defend yourself. Don't rely or trust your program will do the right thing for you.

It is easy to state this now, but the overall tone and trajectory of the OPs remarks strongly suggest it was evident the program had no interest in doing anything but covering it up and at the expense of whoever may be involved.

Often times, it's easier to let the program dig it's own grave. You may very well never have to let them know that you are preparing for the worst, but if you suspect as OP did that the writing was on the wall, you must absolutely do everything you can to protect yourself. Actually, the more you fly under the radar and be a good resident the more impactful will be the element of surprise.

Never be the aggressor, but always prepare to defend yourself should you ever need to before it's too late.

Haven't read the entire thread, but I'm interested. Any updates @Asteroid Body ?
In summary, the licensing issue seems to have blown over as cooler heads prevailed. It was not without some serious effort and stress on my part. And an attending who generously went to bat for me.

However, I still have to get credentialed for my new job. There is one hothead which I unfortunately listed as a reference back when I never expected them to be so petty about this. Hoping it will work out and they'll just let it go.

As far as the out of control attending, I honestly don't know whatever happened to her but assume basically nothing. I am sure I have endured more punishment at this point than she has.

Reactions: 5 users
In summary, the licensing issue seems to have blown over as cooler heads prevailed. It was not without some serious effort and stress on my part. And an attending who generously went to bat for me.

However, I still have to get credentialed for my new job. There is one hothead which I unfortunately listed as a reference back when I never expected them to be so petty about this. Hoping it will work out and they'll just let it go.

As far as the out of control attending, I honestly don't know whatever happened to her but assume basically nothing. I am sure I have endured more punishment at this point than she has.

Are you able to change your reference on your credentialing application?

FWIW, I called the credentialing agency directly and had them take off a reference without any issues or "red" flags as mentioned above.

FWIW, I called the credentialing agency directly and had them take off a reference without any issues or "red" flags as mentioned above.

But one still has to make sure that a particular agency can change the reference without leaving a trail of doing so, correct?

But one still has to make sure that a particular agency can change the reference without leaving a trail of doing so, correct?

Honestly, I don't think it matters. All you need to say is that I need to update my references. In Medicine, we tend to overthink and analyze things.

dude report this or go to the police, you are working with a dangerous nut case....

Do you actually know this to be an issue, or are you just guessing since you're typically a bit paranoid?

Do you actually know this to be an issue, or are you just guessing since you're typically a bit paranoid?

No I actually don't, at least not in every state. But considering that the worst case scenario has been reality for OP, I would suggest erring on the side of caution, that's all.

Am I paranoid a bit? Maybe, but keep in mind that the OP was assaulted, and somehow framed for it himself, then reported to the board for whatever resaon. Clearly the PD and program was out to get him and can still be trying to lay booby traps for him going forward to seal the deal and make an example to other would-be-reporters of assault.

Am I paranoid a bit? Maybe, but keep in mind that the OP was assaulted, and somehow framed for it himself, then reported to the board for whatever resaon. Clearly the PD and program was out to get him and can still be trying to lay booby traps for him going forward to seal the deal and make an example to other would-be-reporters of assault.
Well given that we were talking about if a licensing board would care if you change a reference and you are now talking of the PD somehow laying booby traps, I would say yes, you are paranoid.

So to summarize, that was a "no" then in response to the question of whether you have any experience to back up your posting on this issue?

If the point of the respnoses here is to help the OP, he/she would be best served if the speculators backed off.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion. Please do not dissuade other members from offering theirs, in essence spamming OP's thread. Let's not derail thread any further.

What's that saying about opinions again?

All you've done on this thread is provide poor advice with no relevant experience to back it up. It's pretty clear you just like to hear yourself talk at this point, and have given the OP no actual help.

Look, I get it. You think you're the big dog on the block. But your attempted bullying/intimidation tactics only tell me you are insecure in yourself. Please leave the moderation to the moderators, and stop derailing OP's thread (you clearly have no sense of boundaries).

Edit: I don't claim to have all the answers, and am open to your opinions (and everyone elses). If I'm off on something, please discuss and enlight - but please don't attack. The forum is meant to help and educate, for everyone.

Last edited:
Look, I get it. You think you're the big dog on the block. But your attempted bullying/intimidation tactics only tell me you are insecure in yourself. Please leave the moderation to the moderators, and stop derailing OP's thread (you clearly have no sense of boundaries).

Edit: I don't claim to have all the answers, and am open to your opinions (and everyone elses). If I'm off on something, please discuss and enlight - but please don't attack. The forum is meant to help and educate, for everyone.
SS is trying to teach you something, Light. Pay attention.

SS is trying to teach you something, Light. Pay attention.

Assuming you're not being sarcastic, it's hard to pay attention to what comes off as a rage fueled holier than thou diatribe.

I mean talk about fitting the surgeon stereotype to a perfection. WTF, this reflects poorly on the field in general.

In any event, highjacking someone else's thread for that sole purpose is simply inappropriate, and any "verified" TOS abiding member ought to know that, assuming of course the rules apply equally to all.

Last edited:
Assuming you're not being sarcastic, it's hard to pay attention to what comes off as a rage fueled holier than thou diatribe.

I mean talk about fitting the surgeon stereotype to a perfection. WTF, this reflects poorly on the field in general.
I was being 100% serious, and a heads up. One of the things I have learned from my wise resident and attending colleagues in this forum is that residents who are unteachable get terminated.

Look, I've been on the receiving end of SS's scalpel plenty of times. And for most of them, I deserved it. He gives blunt advice and observations but he's spot on, and that's why I read every one of his posts. So take heed.

I was being 100% serious, and a heads up. One of the things I have learned from my wise resident and attending colleagues in this forum is that residents who are unteachable get terminated.

Look, I've been on the receiving end of SS's scalpel plenty of times. And for most of them, I deserved it. He gives blunt advice and observations but he's spot on, and that's why I read every one of his posts. So take heed.

Of course the more input the merrier. I'm not disagreeing with his or anyone else's assessment of anything. I'm also not interesting in being right or proving anyone wrong.

He has a right to his opinion, so do the rest of members. We also have a right to weigh any opinions offered and make our own informed decisions, no matter who they come from.

I hope that makes sense, and at this point it may be better to discuss in PM and allow the thread to breathe.

you need to look at what you wrote and then look in the mirror...that is NOT SS at all.