Anyone Find Nursing Students Really Arrogant and Annoying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We ended up with CRNAs and NPs, because there is a legit shortage in some fields. The proliferation of CRNA and NP propaganda is fueled by their greed and the internal human desire to climb to the top and knock off those most powerful.
That's how they started, but the path to independent practice was partly paved by physician complacency.
And then they get cut down to size when they get sued.

Everybody wins.

I smell a god complex with you. Rude awakening: you are not any more or less important than anyone else.

Also, the number one reason why people leave their jobs is because they do not believe they are getting the recognition that they deserve. HR studies have shown this. Money is like the #5 reason.
It isn't about being more or less important than anyone. Medicine is like football- each professional has a role. The doctor is like the quarterback. Everybody contributes on the field and in the huddle, but the quarterback is the guy who has to make the tough calls in the moment. It's just his role on the field, not because he's better than the running back or the linemen, but because that is the job he has been assigned to play in the team.

I've worked in intensive care for damn near six years as an allied health professional. I've seen the limits of nursing knowledge and the ill results of nurses and NPs trying to play doctor. I've also seen the misfortune caused to patients as a result of physicians not realizing the value of their nursing, PA, and respiratory staff. Everyone has a role and has value- it is in acknowledging our roles, their benefits, and their limits that we are able to provide the highest quality of care.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's how they started, but the path to independent practice was partly paved by physician complacency.

It isn't about being more or less important than anyone. Medicine is like football- each professional has a role. The doctor is like the quarterback. Everybody contributes on the field and in the huddle, but the quarterback is the guy who has to make the tough calls in the moment. It's just his role on the field, not because he's better than the running back or the linemen, but because that is the job he has been assigned to play in the team.

I've worked in intensive care for damn near six years as an allied health professional. I've seen the limits of nursing knowledge and the ill results of nurses and NPs trying to play doctor. I've also seen the misfortune caused to patients as a result of physicians not realizing the value of their nursing, PA, and respiratory staff. Everyone has a role and has value- it is in acknowledging our roles, their benefits, and their limits that we are able to provide the highest quality of care.
It is usually the CEO of the hospital that is the quarterback. He is the one making the calls, using his judgment during plays, and etc.

Maybe I am ignorant, but i have seen doctors answer/be accountable to executives/MBAs in the hospitals that I have worked at.

It is usually the CEO of the hospital that is the quarterback. He is the one making the calls, using his judgment during plays, and etc.

Maybe I am ignorant, but i have seen doctors answer/be accountable to executives/MBAs in the hospitals that I have worked at.
No, CEOs/executives are more like coaches than quarterbacks. They give you the play list you pull from, they make sure the team is in proper order by drafting the right players, and they ensure everything's working right financially so that you've actually got a stadium to play some football in. They aren't on the field, and they aren't making calls play-by-play.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, CEOs/executives are more like coaches than quarterbacks. They give you the play list you pull from, they make sure the team is in proper order by drafting the right players, and they ensure everything's working right financially so that you've actually got a stadium to play some football in. They aren't on the field, and they aren't making calls play-by-play.
No matter what, executives out rank the likes of us and are making more money

No matter what, executives out rank the likes of us and are making more money
So? If I wanted to be an executive I'd get my MBA. I prefer actual work. I like my role.

And you always have to remember, the DOH, Joint Commission, and CMS are like the NFL- they force all the teams to abide by the same set of standards, and in a way outrank even the executives by determining the way the game is played. Unless you're in politics, there's always another guy looking down on your work. And even then, you've got the public and your donors to answer to. That's life. You just have to pick a role you can live with.

Most of the nursing students I knew were crazy nice and usually smart. Although the nursing school that was next to my undergrad was VERY competitive. Most arrogant majors = physics

Reactions: 1 user
So? If I wanted to be an executive I'd get my MBA. I prefer actual work. I like my role.

And you always have to remember, the DOH, Joint Commission, and CMS are like the NFL- they force all the teams to abide by the same set of standards, and in a way outrank even the executives by determining the way the game is played. Unless you're in politics, there's always another guy looking down on your work. And even then, you've got the public and your donors to answer to. That's life. You just have to pick a role you can live with.

Top 5 MBA or bust.

Why do all nursing students have to go out to the bars all the time? They all rant and rave about going to house parties. I mean, seriously? I find it rather distasteful. That horse can move out to pasture. I mean, someone was talking to me about a career in the military, but I don't want to do that. I can barely stand being out in small towns by myself, no less join the armed forces and be stationed God knows where.

I just wish some people would grow up. Enjoy life, but don't bring drama into everything. People are starving, they are poor, unemployed, and things just get hard. Being stuck up because you're studying to be in healthcare is just not cool. Save it for home.

I can add to that quote. Nursing school is about memorizing.

The material you study from, ATI, is all based on memorizing. It is so summarized until you feel like you're reading cliff notes about a novel. I mean, it's like this, "here's a topic, pick and choose 3 things to remember about it", enjoy!

I wish schools would stop using digital books and taking tests on computers. They pick tests which have all their answers on quizlet or yahoo. And if they aren't there, everyone calls each other asking for answers. I just want to put college life behind me. I learned more at the University before starting Nursing School. I feel like I've moved 6 steps forward, but went back 4.

If this job is rewarding in 20 years or so I'll regret I ever came on here to complain. I also feel nurses and prenursing students should stop giving advice. I've heard everything from "go hang out with him" to all sorts of weird, rude comments about people. It's not advice, it's a rude opinion.

Last edited: