Anyone have success with a LOI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has had success by writing a Letter of Intent. What I mean is, how much power do they have to sway the Admissions committee? Does anyone know of instances where someone had no chance but simply by sending a LOI he or she was accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Adapt said:
I am curious if anyone has had success by writing a Letter of Intent. What I mean is, how much power do they have to sway the Admissions committee? Does anyone know of instances where someone had no chance but simply by sending a LOI he or she was accepted?

i REALLY doubt that if you have no chance an LOI will do anything for you. Maybe if you're perfectly on the fence, the loi might help, but i wouldn't even really count on that.

I was under the impression that LOIs are a big deal and that it really helps out. Anyone else have an idea about the significance of them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wrote one. I am on the wait list and they said that there is not much movement and stuff so I most likely would not get a seat, but I wrote one (i mean it can;t hurt) and i will let u know when i hear anything or IF I hear anything.

Mr. Rosewater said:
i REALLY doubt that if you have no chance an LOI will do anything for you. Maybe if you're perfectly on the fence, the loi might help, but i wouldn't even really count on that.

OK but isn't everyone that is on an unranked waitlist or a hundred to two hundred or so people "on the fence"?? And if so, won't it help anyone that writes one?

There is a link to an old thread somewhere on this page in a newer wait list thread, i think on page three or two that this guy says he wrote to LOIs to med schools where he was on the third tier wait list and got into both.

biodork444 said:
There is a link to an old thread somewhere on this page in a newer wait list thread, i think on page three or two that this guy says he wrote to LOIs to med schools where he was on the third tier wait list and got into both.

THAT is EXTREMELY funny!

He wrote LOI's - to TWO DIFFERENT SCHOOLS!

:laugh:

UseUrHeadFred said:
THAT is EXTREMELY funny!

He wrote LOI's - to TWO DIFFERENT SCHOOLS!

:laugh:
Actually I think that's illegal in the sense that if one school finds out, they could do some serious damage to you and your career.

That is what he said, but he also said that he only told one that he will attend there if he was accepted, so when I was reading it, I thought he covered himself pretty well, but yeah...I don't know...it in on here somewhere.

Eraserhead said:
OK but isn't everyone that is on an unranked waitlist or a hundred to two hundred or so people "on the fence"?? And if so, won't it help anyone that writes one?

yeah, that's a good point. all the wlists i'm on have been ranked, so i really never considered the unranked case. OP was asking though about pple who had basically no shot being accepted by writing the letter. i really doubt that could happen.

I recall seeing a thread in the re-applicant forum titled something like "How to write an LOI." Anyway, it was a huge post, and according to the author, the letter of intent he wrote got him into medical school.

Alas, I have written a letter of intent, and I hope it helps get me off a particular waitlist. In any case, I'm sure it doesn't hurt, and it gives you some peace of mind that you are doing everything possible.

Well I just sent one and all my hopes and dreams rest on that thin piece of looseleaf paper that has some printer ink on it. Ironic isn't it. :laugh:

JK. Really I could care less but hey, why not give it a shot right. :thumbup:

that is what i figured...it can't hurt

I wrote letters of intent to schools I didn't even apply to.

Adapt said:
Well I just sent one and all my hopes and dreams rest on that thin piece of looseleaf paper that has some printer ink on it. Ironic isn't it. :laugh:

JK. Really I could care less but hey, why not give it a shot right. :thumbup:

You Bastard! Did you just write a LOI to LLU? :laugh: I have a LOI currently active at UCI and cannot write another one until I hear from them. I would LOVE to write one to LLU, but that would be messed up.

Good Luck Adapt! :luck:

Spitting Camel said:
I have a LOI currently active at UCI and cannot write another one until I hear from them.

Sorry but you do realize that you won't be writing one to LLU ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. If you get into UCI, you won't write one. And if you don't get into UCI, you probably won't know till school starts. :mad: Sux, I know.

But still, :luck: to ya.

Spitting Camel said:
You Bastard! Did you just write a LOI to LLU? :laugh: I have a LOI currently active at UCI and cannot write another one until I hear from them. I would LOVE to write one to LLU, but that would be messed up.

Good Luck Adapt! :luck:
Yep just sent it off to LLU. :laugh:

I worded it as strong as I could. Now we will really see if LOIs work. I guess I was lucky that other Cali MD schools didn't interview me or else I would have been in your predicament. BUHAHAAHHAHA. JK man. Good luck.

Somehow I think you still have a better chance at LLU simply because you received a decision already and I haven't yet. :thumbup: