Anyone heard about the programs in Virginia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spud

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone rotated through, interviewed at, or otherwise heard anything about any of the programs in VA? I saw that MCV did not fill 2 spots last year and wondered if anyone knew why?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Come on people, someone has got to have at least interviewed somewhere in Virginia! I have interviews there in a few weeks and would like to know what ya all thought!

Hi Spud,

A friend of mine is an ER resident at MCV- he's been pretty happy with the ER months- enjoyed the environment and experience in the ER. From what he said, they do around 3 months of surgery rotations as an intern- plastics, ortho, and trauma, I beleive. Was not too crazy about the call and hours on surgery (was q3, though is supposed to be changing to q4) with pretty heavy services and busy call nights. He's pretty happy with the city and the fellow interns/residents.

I'm not sure why some spots did not fill last year- next time I talk to my friend, I'll try to ask.

good luck!
Foxxy C.

Members don't see this ad :)
Foxxy Cleopatra,

Thank-you for the info! I would be interrested to learn what your friend had to say about not filling all the spots. The only things I've heard about MCV were good.

Thanks again,
Spud

I'm a Virginia student and so I know the scoop with the 3 Virginia programs. MCV didn't fill last year only because they are a brand new program. They will graduate their first class of residents this year. But I was extremely impressed when I interviewed there and will definately rank them. They've got great faculty and will soon (if not already) be a very strong program. EVMS has the oldest EM program in VA, being around 20+ years. Excellent program, and I highly reccommend it (although I'm biased - my school!) The residents are all very happy and highly respected around the area hospitals. UVA is also a strong program, although in a smaller city. Excellent teaching, but their PD resigned late last year-don't know the details. Hope this helps and good luck!