Anyone heard from The New School for Social Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spillsomepaint

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else applied to the New School for Social Research's program and if you've heard anything?

Members don't see this ad.

No, and it's starting to get to me. I had gone to their Open House thing in October or November and they basically said it takes about 8 weeks to get an answer.

To make matters worse, their online system didn't recognize my personal statement, delaying things further.

Did you get the letter with the login info to check the status of your application? It should say something like "Ready for Review"... if not, it'll show what's still outstanding.

Yeah I got the letter with my info. I submitted my app around December 15th. I guess when they say mid-march they really mean it.
I pretty much check my app status daily tho.

Lemme know if you hear anything!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Thrak:

I just wanted to let you know that today when I checked my online app status, a new category was added that basically said application preference: not entered. So...I think they are reviewing now.

Hey Thrak:

I just wanted to let you know that today when I checked my online app status, a new category was added that basically said application preference: not entered. So...I think they are reviewing now.

I just got a similar email, though I think mine will be delayed a bit because they garbled my writing sample.

Thanks for keeping me in mind! :D

Anything on New School yet? Today was supposed to be results day, or so I thought.

phew! i was worried i was the only one! someone on the phd acceptance thread got a letter from them (acceptance).

I applied to New School and haven't heard yet....maybe they are just late?

I got accepted into the New School General Psychology Master's program today (3/19)

thanks. yes it was....so if you applied, you might want to check your mail...! : )

Also, I know this was a question asked in another thread....but it was never directly answered because the conversation went off into another direction. But can anyone talk to me about the MA General Psych program at New School? Is it well known and respected....what are the professors like....what is the student teacher ratio, etc. Anyw information would be good information....

Thanks!!!

Got into New School's General Psych MA program, with what appears to be a half-scholarship.

I got my acceptance to the New School and scholarship info yesterday via snail mail, and then a phone call today to make sure I'd received it...which was a little odd cause it was a really informal call. Is anyone else planning on living in graduate housing the first year?

Also, I know this was a question asked in another thread....but it was never directly answered because the conversation went off into another direction. But can anyone talk to me about the MA General Psych program at New School? Is it well known and respected....what are the professors like....what is the student teacher ratio, etc. Anyw information would be good information....

Thanks!!!

Hi blondie1oed83 & everyone,

First, congratulations to those who were accepted!

And I also have the same concerns as blondie1oed83. There is some information on the petersons.com, but I also would like to hear from people who have personal experience with them or know somebody from there.

In addition, although I am provided with partial scholarship, still a lot remains, not to mention the room and board, and other expenses, which make up to almost like going to law school except the difference of return on investment after graduation.
I know there is of course the passion for Psychology, but cant help to consider the practical aspect.

Have any thoughts? Thank you!

Hi blondie1oed83 & everyone,

First, congratulations to those who were accepted!

And I also have the same concerns as blondie1oed83. There is some information on the petersons.com, but I also would like to hear from people who have personal experience with them or know somebody from there.

In addition, although I am provided with partial scholarship, still a lot remains, not to mention the room and board, and other expenses, which make up to almost like going to law school except the difference of return on investment after graduation.
I know there is of course the passion for Psychology, but cant help to consider the practical aspect.

Have any thoughts? Thank you!

I was given a partial scholarship as well, and yes the expenses for the first two years are so are going to be quite large. But the further you go into the program the more options for have for aid. Their are fellowships and TA positions, and RA jobs. Plus the better you do in school the larger the scholarships you can get. But I do feel you worry here. It is a big commitment. If you choose to do Room and Board it will be more expensive than just finding a place on your own in the cheaper parts of Manhattan and it's will be much cheaper and spacious to live in Brooklyn.

I am going to the admitted student open house on thursday the 10th. I've made a appointment with fin. aid to discuss a lot of this, and if you'd like I'll let you know the gist of what they tell me.

I was given a partial scholarship as well, and yes the expenses for the first two years are so are going to be quite large. But the further you go into the program the more options for have for aid. Their are fellowships and TA positions, and RA jobs. Plus the better you do in school the larger the scholarships you can get. But I do feel you worry here. It is a big commitment. If you choose to do Room and Board it will be more expensive than just finding a place on your own in the cheaper parts of Manhattan and it's will be much cheaper and spacious to live in Brooklyn.

I am going to the admitted student open house on thursday the 10th. I've made a appointment with fin. aid to discuss a lot of this, and if you'd like I'll let you know the gist of what they tell me.

Sounds you are definitely more familiar with the neighborhood than I am. I am thinking the room & board for the first year b/c I am not familiar with the area and price range. Searching from scratch might not be a certain or practical thing. But I know what you mean by cutting down the projected expense and seeking for other financial resource later.
Regarding the open house, I received the invitation, but I am not around afraid not be able to attend. That would be great if I can get hold of some additional info from you. Appreciated!