numbersloth

5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2015
To those students in medical school: Did anyone here major in philosophy or cognitive science?
I'm wondering what the transition was like to medical school, which for the first two years is largely memorization based before you finally get to use critical thinking skills in the clinical years and in practice (so I have heard, please correct me if I am wrong).

Just a little background: I love cognitive science and thinking about the mind, but after experiences in cognitive neuroscience and cognitive science research I do feel that I much prefer patient interaction (and really don't like the isolation of research). Any input appreciated.

OddNath

15+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Houston
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yeah I did cognitive sciences and engineering in college, both of which involves lots of critical thinking but very little memorization! So, it took me around a semester to adjust in medical school. I wouldn't feel bad about this- sure, I basically gave up on AOA at that point, but then started to doing much better, and really took off 2nd year. Full disclosure, I did well on step 1 and 2, and matched well.

Just try different methods, and really listen to yourself to see what works those first few months. If it's not working, throw it out and try something else. For me, I underlined the syllabus, then took my own summary notes for everything. Some ppl lived by making flash cards. Everyone is different, and don't be too hard on yourself in the beginning!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.