Anyone thinking of getting a pet in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

experiment626

Freeze Ray!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm going to be spending hours in my room reading books and sculpting teeth, it might be nice to have something in the room to keep me company while I work at my desk. :p I found a good deal on a studio for a single occupant so I won't have a roommate.

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of pet are you considering?

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of pet are you considering?

Something small and easy to take care of. Something that won't mind me being away most of the time.

Just study with a friend lol

Of course I will! lol I might have some of those nights where I'll just want to skim through notes on my own though.

You should get a guinea pig

I've had guinea pigs before. They are great pets, but I want to try something different this time. :p

How about a cat? They're not too hard to take care of and they're not clingy. I saw another dental student who kept one.

Oooo how about two rats? Rats are social so you'd want to get two.

I have two pugs! Im kind of worried though because if classes are from 8-5 I don't know how I'm going to take them outside to go potty.. Guess I might have to start looking for a dog walker!

you should get a bird though. that way it can sit on your shoulder and talk to you.

Last edited:
I have two pugs! Im kind of worried though because if classes are from 8-5 I don't know how I'm going to take them outside to go potty.. Guess I might have to start looking for a dog walker!

you should get a bird though. that way it can sit on your shoulder and talk to you.

OMG I HAVE PUGS TOO. I would walk them for you :D

I was thinking about getting a hedgehog. They sleep all day and can chill when you study until 2am.

When i went to school, I was hoping for an owl, but my parents ended up getting me a rat instead. Turns out, the rat was actually a person...

How about a cat? They're not too hard to take care of and they're not clingy. I saw another dental student who kept one.

My DS buddy has a cat too. Maybe not for me though. I'm allergic to certain kinds unfortunately.

Oooo how about two rats? Rats are social so you'd want to get two.

Hmm not sure about rats. Otherwise I'd name it Scabbers. Then it would turn into a hairy man named Peter Pettigrew. I was considering something along the lines of a hamster or gerbil since they're illegal in my home state. Never could get one as a kid. T_T

It that your pug in the avatar? I've always wanted a parakeet actually. Maybe I can teach it to recite all the cranial nerves and notes I take in class. :naughty:

OMG I HAVE PUGS TOO. I would walk them for you :D

I'd happily hire you. ;)

I was thinking about getting a hedgehog. They sleep all day and can chill when you study until 2am.

You should! Hedgehogs are cool. They're a little difficult to pick up though. Name it Sonic. :cool:

When i went to school, I was hoping for an owl, but my parents ended up getting me a rat instead. Turns out, the rat was actually a person...

An owl would've been awesome. I heard Hogwarts School of Dental Potions provides them to matriculating students. lol So tell me Dr. Ron Weasley, why the switch to dentistry? Was being a wizard not good enough?

Last edited:
In which state are hamsters illegal and why? What is the world coming to?! I had like a trillion hamsters as a kid.

Spoiler: they don't live very long.

I want a cat :3

Members don't see this ad :)
In which state are hamsters illegal and why? What is the world coming to?! I had like a trillion hamsters as a kid.

Spoiler: they don't live very long.

I want a cat :3

Hamsters are illegal in Hawaii. Also illegal are ferrets, hedgehogs, gerbils, snakes, geckos, tarantulas etc. :( If any get released or escape from their cages, they can damage the environment and compete against the fauna. Since I'll be moving up to the mainland in a few months, you can imagine how exciting it is to no longer be bound by these laws.

Hamsters are illegal in Hawaii. Also illegal are ferrets, hedgehogs, gerbils, snakes, geckos, tarantulas etc. :( If any get released or escape from their cages, they can damage the environment and compete against the fauna.

Look up rabbits in Australia, I think it's a similar concept. I'd search around shelters for a cat that doesn't make your allergies go wild- I think they're perfectly suited for someone who may not be around all day to provide constant attention.

I adopted a pair of stray kittens 4 years ago (brother and sister). They are so sweet together and entertaining to watch. I know it's corny but they really do bring a lot of joy into your life. I highly recommend getting two. :)
On the flip side they are pretty low maintenance. I can leave them on their own for a couple days no prob. One thing you might want to consider is what will u do with your pet when you go home to visit family for longer periods of time. You can hire people to check in on them. The going rate seems to be 17$/day.

Well, I already have two cats, and they are wonderful, they go potty in a litter box, don't care about too much attention, and are very sweet and affectionate. The crappy thing about having them in an apartment is that they do tear up the carpet, which gets expensive! I had to have both de-clawed. I feel like a terrible cat mom for doing that, but oh well.

I also have a turtle that was given to me when I was 7 years old, so I've had him for 17 years. He is not cuddly though or affectionate, he's more like a plant.

Just please don't get a dog! They deserve more time and attention than a dental student can give them! I saved one from the pound that was going to get euthanized, but had to find a new and better home for her after a year because I was going to school full time and had two jobs.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were to get a dog, I would be looking at an Alaskan Klee Kai or a Shiba Inu. Alaskan Klee Kais are like miniature Huskies that stay small. The Shiba Inu from what I heard can live in apartments since they're known to be quiet, medium sized, and independent. However I'd feel bad leaving it in the apartment from 8 am to 5 pm everyday... Plus I've had dogs before and know how much attention they need. I agree dental school may not be the best time for a dog.

AlaskanKleeKaiKaia1.JPG

shiba-inu.jpg

I never had a cat before so I know little to nothing about them. Since everyone here loves cats, how about a Munchkin? I could watch it scurry around the room while doing my waxing. Σ:3

MunchkinKittyBlackAndWhite.jpg

Chances are I might wait it out a little before getting a pet. It might be wise to see how the workload is first since the first two years are very time consuming. I'll post a picture if I do though. :)

Last edited:
I agree with the above comments. Dental school is NOT a good time to get a dog. They need so, so much attention. My husband and I have two and we got them years before I knew I wanted to go to dental school, so obviously we will still keep them, but we are lucky there are two of us. If I was by myself I don't know what I'd do, they would be so sad. Get a goldfish or snake or something.

I currently have a 1 year old dog and plan on having him throughout dental school. Yea, I may have to get a dog walker to come a couple of times a week but I've trained him to be on his own from 8-5!

If I were to get a dog, I would be looking at an Alaskan Klee Kai or a Shiba Inu. Alaskan Klee Kais are like miniature Huskies that stay small. The Shiba Inu from what I heard can live in apartments since they're known to be quiet, medium sized, and independent. However I'd feel bad leaving it in the apartment from 8 am to 5 pm everyday... Plus I've had dogs before and know how much attention they need. I agree dental school may not be the best time for a dog.

AlaskanKleeKaiKaia1.JPG

shiba-inu.jpg

I never had a cat before so I know little to nothing about them. Since everyone here loves cats, how about a Munchkin? I could watch it scurry around the room while doing my waxing. Σ:3

MunchkinKittyBlackAndWhite.jpg

Chances are I might wait it out a little before getting a pet. It might be wise to see how the workload is first since the first two years are very time consuming. I'll post a picture if I do though. :)
Cute pictures! What cute little dogs and cats! I have never seen a munchkin cat before, but it is super-cute. I personally try to get my pets from an animal shelter to save an animals life that is likely to be euthanized. You can even search on Petfinder.com for pure-bred shelter animals as well.

You should get a Madagascar Day Gecko.

My girlfriend and I have a great dane and bull-mastiff mix. Typically, people think giant dogs need a lot of space, but all they do is eat, sleep and walk around. I don't think I could handle them on my own is d-school, but luckily my girlfriend will be able to take care of them with me.

I have a 3 year old corgi and I couldn't imagine leaving without her... she made it through a couple of years of undergrad with me so i'm hoping we will be alright. She's pretty low maintenance though.

You should get a Madagascar Day Gecko.

There are so many of those geckos running around where I come from. They like warm and humid places so I don't think they'll survive in the Pacific Northwest.

I used to have a German Shepherd, a Pomeranian, and a mixed breed that was adopted off the street. Ah those were the good days. Such good companions. Someday after DS, I'll get one.