Anyone with input on prep classes - not books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coloradocutter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I need severe help on Quant. section of GRE. Verbal is good and writing is 6.

I am thinking of the Kaplan or Power Smart weekend class which is 16 hours and then maybe a few hours of private tutoring if needed? Class is around 350 and tutors are around 100. Or do you think the longer Kaplanclass would be better? I think the longer class is closer to 1000?

PowerSmart says that their instructors have 99% on GRE whereas others don't specify. Don't know anything about htem.

Let me know if you have any experience - this is the last time, I am taking this thing. I work full time, probably 60+ hours a week on average, so I need to be realistic but also want to be focused.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took an online princeton review course the first time I took the GREs. While I will most likely be taking the GRE again, the course helped out my Quant section a great deal. I'm usually pretty lopsided on standardized tests with my verbal being a lot higher than quant, but after taking the online course - they evened out completely. The online course is a lot cheaper too, so if you feel like you have enough motivation to do it yourself, its definetely worth it!

Members don't see this ad :)
PowerSmart says that their instructors have 99% on GRE whereas others don't specify. Don't know anything about htem.

I am generally wary of companies that say things like that. Great test-takers do not equal great teachers! If that's the only thing they emphasize then I would suggest Kaplan and their proven reputation instead. But then again, it could just be because I over-analyze everything.

I personally read through a Barron's GRE book before signing up for a GRE class, and all the "techniques" taught in the class were covered in the book! Barron's test questions weren't very similar to the actual GRE (which screwed me over :thumbdown:) so I'd suggest getting Kaplan book and reading it through if you haven't already.

Do you have any idea why you are stuggling with the quant? For instance, are you having trouble with timing or with the material itself?

Coloradocutter- I am taking one of those foolish $1,000 classes. I have two GRE prep books which helped some, but obviously not enough. I have taken the GRE a number of times, but I can't stand to leave my scores the way they are. I have taken an online course from a community college on the GRE, and it was virtually worthless. I have studied and studied...I have a hard time doing the test fast enough, so I think I'm going to leave it to the class to help me practice a lot. I think I need to have the classroom structure- I was too casual while doing it at home. This is the biggest thing keeping me from graduate school. I'm gonna bite the bullet and just do it, and take the test right after I finish the course (I've heard from others that this is the best way to get a score similar to what you've gotten at the end of the course on practice tests).

You can listen to others until your ears fall off about how reading a book is just as beneficial as taking a course. I may have to cover topics in my course that are exactly like they are explained in the books. But the books don't really make you faster at doing math problems. I think for some people reading the book is really helpful, I just know it didn't work for me. This is kind of a last resort for me, so I'm doing the dew.