Anyone work for United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps (PHS)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhYMee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone actually enlist in the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps? Looks very interesting. I am going to call them for details.

How is job satisfaction? Is the pay cut from privat comapnies that bad after the tax breaks? Do you get forced to relocate if not in being actively deployed for an emergency? Would you still get the housing allowance given even if you already own your home?

Like I said, i am going to call them, but wanted to see if anyone new anything

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know from my research on the subject (may not be wholly accurate) is that it is a dual application process. Meaning, you apply to be commissioned as an Officer, and simultaneously apply to a job opening (say, Staff Pharmacist at an IHS site).

They don't force you to move, I don't think, but 'mobility', both geographical and inter-agency, is one of the things they look at for promotions (unless you want to make O-3 pay for the rest of your life).

From what I know from my research on the subject (may not be wholly accurate) is that it is a dual application process. Meaning, you apply to be commissioned as an Officer, and simultaneously apply to a job opening (say, Staff Pharmacist at an IHS site).

They don't force you to move, I don't think, but 'mobility', both geographical and inter-agency, is one of the things they look at for promotions (unless you want to make O-3 pay for the rest of your life).
glad you know the concept of commissioning versus enlisting :smuggrin:

Im not in the PHS but I can answer a few of the questions

1) Pay Cut- It depends on what you're idea of a huge pay cut is. I estimate that I can easily make 30k more out in the retail world. (PHS and Military officers make around the same with little differences here and there) My quality of life is very high unlike it was in retail so to me its well worth the pay cut. I would do this job even if it was a 50 to 60k difference

2) You will never be forced to relocate in the PHS. You maybe "deployed" every once in a while but its only for a few weeks or a few months and then you go back. The PHS deploys for natural disasters in the United States. The last big deployment for the PHS was Katrina.

3) The only way to not get a housing allowance is if you live in a house supplied to you by the PHS. Otherwise, you are entitled to housing money, also called BAH.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty interested in pursuing the PHS. Just gotta lose this "happy weight" I've gained since becoming a civilian. :smuggrin:

I actually called a number today to inquire about programs they have for pharmacy students. Didn't find out much, so if anyone knows of a good resource (better than their website), please do tell!

The questions we had:

Does previous military time count for pay purposes?
Ex: If I were to enter the Navy as an O-3 today, my pay would be O-3 "e" due to my previous time as an enlisted guy. O-3e is a nice boost from regular O-3 pay. Does this hold true for PHS?

Can you retire from PHS in the same way you can from the military? For those unfamiliar, you can retire after 20 years of total service, receiving half of your base pay as your pension. For each year past 20, you add 2.5% to that up to a maximum of 75%.

I submitted an info request to them yesterday, but I'll try to find an in-the-flesh recruiter and post here if I learn anything.

Edit: Mandy, I'm guessing you called 1-800-279-1605. I just got that number in my e-mail in response to my info request.

Last edited:
The questions we had:

Ex: If I were to enter the Navy as an O-3 today, my pay would be O-3 "e" due to my previous time as an enlisted guy. O-3e is a nice boost from regular O-3 pay. Does this hold true for PHS?

Can you retire from PHS in the same way you can from the military? For those unfamiliar, you can retire after 20 years of total service, receiving half of your base pay as your pension. For each year past 20, you add 2.5% to that up to a maximum of 75%.

I submitted an info request to them yesterday, but I'll try to find an in-the-flesh recruiter and post here if I learn anything.

Edit: Mandy, I'm guessing you called 1-800-279-1605. I just got that number in my e-mail in response to my info request.

Yes, I think that was the number...whichever one was on their website. I was basically told about the 2 programs JRCOSTEP and SRCOSTEP. I still was curious to know more about those programs, as well as what do members of the USPHS do? I don't even know where a recruiter would be...

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately I don't know a lot of answers, but I did a rotation at a former IHS clinic - it is not still technically under the IHS umbrella, but 2 of the pharmacists there are commissioned corps. When I started the rotation, my preceptor was actually deployed to the Gulf coast for the oil spill - helping to oversee a temporary medical clinic set up for clean up workers I believe. He was there for 2 weeks. He had also been deployed to Haiti at the beginning of the year after the earthquake. It turns out he just sort of had "bad" luck - you choose 2 months out of the year as your deployment months and if anything happens during those times, you are deployed.

However, he was happy about it because more deployments are good for your resume and advancement in the ranks. I think there used to be a breakdown on the IHS website about compensation - when you consider housing and retirement, the differential is not as large as it seems at first glance. This link goes to the page, but the links on that page don't seem to be working. The housing and subsistence allowance are non-taxable too, which is awesome.

Anyway, there were also civilian employees there (the majority actually) and tribal hires. I don't know if they have tribal hires in all locations or not. They are still eligible (even if not PHS) for loan repayment ($20K/year for a 2 year commitment I think), but funds are dispersed based on how "in-demand" your area is, so I don't think that is guaranteed by any stretch. I do know the hourly tribal-hired pharmacist (non-commissioned) made about $12 to $17 less per hour as compared to a typical retail setting in this area. The work environment seemed a heck of a lot better though - plus I think they have 12 or 14 paid holidays. I know that probably isn't true of all sites though.

I would suggest looking up some IHS or other US PHS sites in your area (or where you're interested in going) and getting in touch with someone who works there. My preceptor loved talking about the commissioned corps. :)

I'm pretty interested in pursuing the PHS. Just gotta lose this "happy weight" I've gained since becoming a civilian. :smuggrin:

Hahaha! I'm right with ya! Side straddle hops, FOREVER. Begin!

I did rotations at an IHS facility; this was in 1994 so maybe things have changed.

Their benefits included PX privileges, which means they can get their groceries and some household supplies at a very deep discount, so a lot of them would drive to Albuquerque, 2 1/2 hours away, once a month or so just to do this, and get perishables at the local store. The salary was about 2/3 of the going rate at the time, but it also included housing and meal allowances, which amounted to about $1,000 a month, tax-free, for a single person and $500 or so a month for each additional family member. Medical care was also free, which was why one of my preceptors worked there.

The PHS website has a list of all the currently employed pharmacists and where they work. Two of my preceptors are no longer listed (they have probably retired), but one is still in New Mexico, although in a different location (Taos!) and the other is the chief pharmacist at a Federal prison.

I thought the only advantage to the PX/BX/NEX, etc, was that the products were tax-free. Sometimes that would work to my advantage, but there were times when the NEX price (which has no tax added), was higher than the price of the same item at Best Buy after tax.

The NEX and Commissary were nice to have, but they're not always the best deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
The website (usphs.gov) and documents provided by PumpkinSmasher (especially pharmacy's best kept secret) are a great place to start. I was called to active duty in August and work for the FDA under the FDA/CDER Academic Collaboration Program. (http://usphs.gov/student/FDA-CDER.aspx)

Yes the pay upfront is less than the private sector, but if you take into account the fact that part of your income is not taxed, retirement benefits, GI bill, health coverage, holidays, etc... the salary difference doesn't feel like much. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about PHS or the program I am in and I will be more than happy to answer!

I definitely appreciate the retirement and free healthcare. Anyone intending to apply for their summer programs?

I had totally forgotten about this, but I, and several other classmates, applied for a summer program and none of us were accepted. They are EXTREMELY competitive - something like 100 applicants per spot.

The questions we had:

If you entered the military as a officer and transferred to PHS, time in military counts toward time in PHS. I don't know about enlisted time.

Yes, retirement in PHS is same as military. You can retire after 20 years but if you stay longer, its +2.5% per year up to 75% for 30 years.

PS. I've been researching PHS for the past year and I am currently doing my IHS rotation.

If you entered the military as a officer and transferred to PHS, time in military counts toward time in PHS. I don't know about enlisted time.

Yes, retirement in PHS is same as military. You can retire after 20 years but if you stay longer, its +2.5% per year up to 75% for 30 years.

PS. I've been researching PHS for the past year and I am currently doing my IHS rotation.

Yes, prior enlisted service counts towards retirement and pay. Inactive ready reserve time counts towards pay but not retirement. There is a max cutoff time with which to change services. I believe it is 8 yrs active duty, but you will want to verify this. Beyond this max time, you are not allowed to transfer services.

The PHS has a lot of great things going for it. It's not for everyone, but if it suits your lifestyle...

Hey everyone! I have been doing some research on the PHS and it sounds like a great organization and I am hoping to get involved. I was wondering if anyone currently involved has a family and how that works with possibly being called to a disaster and if you have had to move around a lot etc. I am currently not married but I do hope to have a family some day after graduation and I was just curious if this is possible while working for PHS?

Thanks

you dont need to pick up your family and move for ever disaster. You do come back to your regular duty station. Moving to other duty stations are far and inbetween in the PHS. You basically do it to get promoted. Look at roughly every 5-7 years. You can always leave earlier than that too if you want.

Whats happens to the 401k contributions if you complete a 4 year contract?

Can you use the VA hospital for the remainder of your life?

The website (usphs.gov) and documents provided by PumpkinSmasher (especially pharmacy’s best kept secret) are a great place to start. I was called to active duty in August and work for the FDA under the FDA/CDER Academic Collaboration Program. (http://usphs.gov/student/FDA-CDER.aspx)

Yes the pay upfront is less than the private sector, but if you take into account the fact that part of your income is not taxed, retirement benefits, GI bill, health coverage, holidays, etc... the salary difference doesn’t feel like much. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about PHS or the program I am in and I will be more than happy to answer!

What are some "downers" about working for PHS ? I am kinda interested in this field, and I have heard only good things about working for PHS. What are some complaints you have with working for PHS. Also, do do you have any information about working for the Bureau of Prisons? There seems to be alot more jobs available in that field compared to any other PHS field.

Starting salary will generally be less. Some people might not want to wear a military uniform to work every day. I'm interested in PHS and the ending retirement pension after 30 years can be very good if you've gotten yourself promoted, but I find myself wondering if the federal government will have to reduce pension benefits some day as I see all the belt tightening begrudgingly taking place and the fights over state employee pension plans. I suppose being one of the 7 "uniformed services," that public backlash would make cutting the benefits of "veterans" hard to do.