AP Chemistry vs. AP Physics

janeybean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, i'm in my junior year of high school.
And i've taken AP Biology and such already. I have a strong Chemistry background as far as classes go. But not so strong in Physics. So I was wondering if I should take AP Chemistry next semester or AP Physics. I want to take the one that will give me more of a head start in college, but I have no idea which one to go for. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Both? Lol, you'll probably want Physics but if you're going to have a hard class load and you know you'll do well in Chemistry it might be better to take it GPA wise. You will need Physics though so it would be a good idea to take it before college.

Either one will help you, personally I would go for Chemistry because I've always found it more interesting. This, as all opinions, is biased and coming from someone who took both Honors and AP Chem in high school and didn't take any physics at all until college.

There is definitely some overlap between physics and chemistry, thermodynamics, calorimetry, and specific heat capacities, etc. are topics you will conquer in both physics and chemistry.

I think that taking either physics or chemistry will help you in both topics, all things being equal. They're both math-based sciences, and you'll have to take them in college anyways, so I say, pick the one you like more (or the one with the better teacher, if applicable). : )

Members don't see this ad :)
If you pass physics B, could you become exempt from physics in college in regards to med school admission and req's?

well, i'm not sure as far as med school admissions go.
but i know that if I took it, the physics, (or chem) , that I wouldn't have to take it in college. at least not the beginning courses. So, i'd be able to take more challenging courses earlier.
but i still have no idea what i should do. =/

Generally, if you receive credit for prereqs with AP scores, medical schools want to see you take some advanced courses to make up for these courses. Of course, some medical schools will just take the credit; it really depends on the school because each one has a slightly different policy.

If you pass physics B, could you become exempt from physics in college in regards to med school admission and req's?

Yes, but med school admissions want grades on your transcripts. Most college will only validate the an AP course with a "P" grade (passing). That isn't good enough for admissions, so plan on taking most AP classes needed for pre-req's in college.

EDIT: And it depends on the college for what score they will take to validate any AP class.

Go for physics. Seriously. Physics will kick your butt in college, especially if its harder for you now. Get some experience in the subject, get the major concepts down, and in college you'll ace the class.

The difficulty level for the AP physics and chemistry courses, in my opinion, are as follows, easiest to hardest:

Physics B, Chemistry, Physics C

That being said, in my experience, chemistry will prepare you much better for the rigors of college. Although I felt exactly the same way as you about my background knowledge for these subjects, Physics B turned out ok with extra studying, while chemistry involved accosting my teacher in hallways with frantic questions. :p

Looking for more experience (for college) and broader knowledge that extends WAY beyond what you learned in Pre-AP? Take chemistry

Looking for a small extension of your Pre-AP course that is basicaly just review? Take physics B

Looking for a slow and painful suicide? Take physics C ;)

So I would have to take a harder physics class?