ap/ib credit for non-science courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got ap credits on macro economics, ib credits on eng, art, and hist, assuming that it's ok to not take the non prerequisites in college for med school and use the ap/ib credits i received, is it still ok to use my ib credits for eng and not take it in college? i keep hearing about how some med schools dont accept ap/ib credit, but will med schools be ok with my ib credits for eng as long as its in my transcript showing that my college accepted the credits? also, do med schools treat ib credits the same with ap credits?

Members don't see this ad.

from what my advisor told me, they still count as long as your university count it on their transcript

Members don't see this ad :)
i believe it depends on individual schools. most will allow it (e.g., UBC), but check the website to make sure.

i got ap credits on macro economics, ib credits on eng, art, and hist, assuming that it's ok to not take the non prerequisites in college for med school and use the ap/ib credits i received, is it still ok to use my ib credits for eng and not take it in college? i keep hearing about how some med schools dont accept ap/ib credit, but will med schools be ok with my ib credits for eng as long as its in my transcript showing that my college accepted the credits? also, do med schools treat ib credits the same with ap credits?

Some med schools extend their refusal to take IB/AP credits to English as well. Some only require one additional semester, and some require just a competency in English (I know that's what Colorado requires). Some schools also accept all credits, so long as they don't account for more than 25% of your total credit.