PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Geisinger Medical Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/30/2018
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email from program administrator
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuro
Offered Interview Dates: Only 1/4 and 1/17 still have available slots in their interview scheduler
How am I staying sane: Haha definitely not.

Surprised to get this one because they'd already sent invites before, but I guess they're doing another wave. Yay! :claps:

Reactions: 6 users
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email from program administrator
Offered Interview Dates: Only 1/4 and 1/17 still have available slots in their interview scheduler

Surprised to get this one because they'd already sent invites before, but I guess they're doing another wave. Yay! :claps:

I got one too!!!!!! *happydance*

Reactions: 5 users
I got one too!!!!!! *happydance*

Congrats!!!!!! :highfive: I'm kind of in a tough spot picking an interview date though tbh. Both of their dates still available are on the only days that two other sites I'm waiting to hear back from offer interviews...agh.

Has anyone heard from Mailman- Other than the peds track?

I applied to a track other than peds but haven't heard anything... was kind of counting it as a rejection at this point but if anyone else had info about this to confirm (or not) that would be awesome.

A while ago some statistics on a person's chance of matching based on number of interviews were posted. I cannot find it. Does anyone have that?

If a site has a notification date listed on the APPIC directory do they have to send out invitations by that date? or do they still have until the 15th?

A DOT recently responded to a similar question a couple days ago on this thread - essentially, sites did sign a contract with APPIC and are permitted to choose their own notification deadline that will allow for them to sufficiently process applications (with a suggested 12/15). Regardless of the date they choose, they are required by that contract to inform both invited and rejected applicants of their application status. Do they "'have' to" - technically they can do whatever they want, but APPIC "requires" it. Whether or not they experience consequences for a violation of this agreement is a non sequitur. The DOT poster stated that, if a site is unaware of the contractual stipulations to which they agreed, this might inform you of how the site operates as a whole.

Reactions: 1 users
Here are the statistics from 2016 in regards to how many interview invitations applicants received, and how likely they were to match (remember that in 2016 there were more applicants than positions. In 2018 there were more positions than applicants.). They haven't released that data after 2016 for some reason.

14. Number of interview offers received:

1 to 2 interviews Match rate = 60% n = 236
3 to 4 interviews Match rate = 83% n = 392
5 to 6 interviews Match rate = 90% n = 451
7 to 8 interviews Match rate = 95% n = 455
9 to 10 interviews Match rate = 99% n = 368
11 or more interviews Match rate = 99% n = 495

Applicant Survey - 2016 - Part 2
Here!

Congrats! Another wave must have been exciting and surprising for you!

Reactions: 1 user
Official Site Name: National Training Consortium-Cascades Region Community Health of Central Washington
Date Invitation Received: 11/30
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal letter via email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): general-health
Offered Interview Dates: 1/21, 1/25, 1/28

Official Site Name:
National Training Consortium-Cascades Region- Healthpoint
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal letter via email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): general-health
Offered Interview Dates: 1/18, 1/22

Members don't see this ad :)
If a site has a notification date listed on the APPIC directory do they have to send out invitations by that date? or do they still have until the 15th?

They don't necessarily have to send out notifications, but if they don't it is within professional bounds to email a site the morning after their stated notification date to inquire about your application status.

Congrats! Another wave must have been exciting and surprising for you!

Thank you! :) Yes it was--I've really been trying to be conservative with holding on to hope for sites that've already sent invites, so it was like a surprise gift!

A while ago some statistics on a person's chance of matching based on number of interviews were posted. I cannot find it. Does anyone have that?

I wouldn't fret over this chart too much at all. It's misleading when trying to figure out your individual chances. Just like any group outcome data when applied to an individual.

Reactions: 2 users
Official Site Name: DCVA
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Offered Interview Dates: 1/3, 1/4, 1/7, 1/8
How am I staying sane: This week? Cooking too much food (there are only two people in my household...)

I cried when I got this....so I don't know if I'm truly staying sane.

Reactions: 8 users
All of these Div40 emails regarding post-doc positions are stressing me out - at first glance, they are clearly Neuro-related and get my hopes up.

Reactions: 4 users
All of these Div40 emails regarding post-doc positions are stressing me out - at first glance, they are clearly Neuro-related and get my hopes up.

Yes!! And the predatory journals with an “Invite” to submit something. They are giving me even more reason to dislike them

Official Site Name: DCVA
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Offered Interview Dates: 1/3, 1/4, 1/7, 1/8
How am I staying sane: This week? Cooking too much food (there are only two people in my household...)

I cried when I got this....so I don't know if I'm truly staying sane.

Congrats!! If you feel comfortable sharing, could you let me know what time you were sent an email? Feel free to PM me if that would be better. Thanks in advance!

Congrats!! If you feel comfortable sharing, could you let me know what time you were sent an email? Feel free to PM me if that would be better. Thanks in advance!

I tried sending you a PM but it said I'm not allowed to start a conversation with you...

I got the email at 1:55 PM but not from the training director. When I saw that people were getting phone calls, I had counted this one out so I was incredibly surprised when I got the email. I was also an extern there last year. I know last year they made phone calls on 11/17 and sent emails on 12/2 so there is a possibility of waves!

I tried sending you a PM but it said I'm not allowed to start a conversation with you...

I got the email at 1:55 PM but not from the training director. When I saw that people were getting phone calls, I had counted this one out so I was incredibly surprised when I got the email. I was also an extern there last year. I know last year they made phone calls on 11/17 and sent emails on 12/2 so there is a possibility of waves!

Wow this is great to know, thanks for sharing! I had lost all hope when I saw that people got phone calls this morning, but the fact I might still get an email gives some hope.... Fingers crossed! :thumbup:

Official Site Name: Miami VA
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Forensic
Dates offered: 1/10 or 1/24

Good to know! Thanks for sharing :) congrats again!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you know if that data is based upon attending on-site interviews?

That is the aggregate data of all applicants and all matches. It does not break it down in that way. I seriously want to caution people against fretting too much on that table, as using it in that way is misunderstanding how those statistics work.

I know this is a good problem to have, but I honestly did not expect to receive more than a few interviews and am now trying to cut costs (and sanity with traveling). I applied to two sites through the same university/consortium. I am less interested in one. Would it ruin my chances at the one I am more interested in if I requested a distance interview at the other? Or do they try to keep this confidential?

Although it's true you can't use the group level data to accurately predict your own outcomes, it's still interesting and reassuring to know that success rates are so high I think.

*I need a fifth post before posting the links apparently..

waiting to hear from Ohio State. I saw there was an invite. Any rejections?

Official Site Name: West Palm Beach VA
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Dates offered: 1/11, 1/16, 1/23, or phone

I applied to a track other than peds but haven't heard anything... was kind of counting it as a rejection at this point but if anyone else had info about this to confirm (or not) that would be awesome.

I applied to the Neurodevelopment track and got an invite about 2 weeks ago. The email basically implied that the invitation was for all tracks.

Official Site Name: Southwest Consortium /NMVAHCS
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General Track
Offered Interview Dates: 1/11

I'm going to ask this again now that people are fairly active on the thread (sorry for doubling up) - did anyone apply to NYU Langone (Rusk Rehab)? I haven't seen it come up yet and do not even see it on last year's final list. Their notification deadline isn't until 12/15 and they had a slightly later application deadline (11/09), but still curious.

Official Site Name: Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): OCD/Anxiety & Eating Disorder Track
Offered Interview Dates: They assigned me one (1/16).

Anyone else waiting on Oregon State Hospital? They are supposed to notify by tomorrow.

Official Site Name: Southwest Consortium /NMVAHCS
Date Invitation Received
: 11/30
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General Track
Offered Interview Dates: 1/11

Congrats!! Me too!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard from Mailman- Other than the peds track?
I applied to their Clinical Psych, Preschool, and ASD/ND funding rotations and I received an invite on 11/12. They didn't send out rotation-specific invites from what I can tell. Hope this helps!

I'm going to ask this again now that people are fairly active on the thread (sorry for doubling up) - did anyone apply to NYU Langone (Rusk Rehab)? I haven't seen it come up yet and do not even see it on last year's final list. Their notification deadline isn't until 12/15 and they had a slightly later application deadline (11/09), but still curious.

I didn’t apply there but regarding last years list. If you only checked page 1 (the master list), I’d recommend searching the later posts to see if someone posted it since the page 1 list was last updated Dec. 7th. I did this and found out when CHOC interviews went out even though it wasn’t on the list.

Reactions: 2 users
Official Site Name: West Virginia University Medicine: University Healthcare
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): NA
Offered Interview Dates: January 4, 11, 18 (and maybe 1 more but I didn't get it written down in time)
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: still knitting Christmas gifts and binging TV

Personal rejection from Mississippi state hospital...trying to remain positive but ugh, these rejections never get easier

Official Site Name: West Virginia University Medicine: University Healthcare
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): NA
Offered Interview Dates: January 4, 11, 18 (and maybe 1 more but I didn't get it written down in time)
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: still knitting Christmas gifts and binging TV

Was this the Charleston Area Medical Center or Morgantown?