PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Going in to the weekend waiting for 12 sites to respond.

Dawson_Crying.gif
I just tried to send you a message and it didn’t work! Sad day!! :( I’m happy to answer Qs about OSH or the Salem area for you.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from The Guidance Center in KS? They were supposed to email all applicants over the weekend, but I didn't receive anything...guessing that's a no, but it read as though they were going to notify all applicant regardless of acceptance, so figured I would ask! At this rate, hearing anything, good or bad, from any sites remaining is welcome news!

Thank you everyone for your advice!! I reached out to the training director at UMass and they said 4pm is the latest one gets out, but it depends when your last interview end so it can be earlier than that. They worked on the schedule and told me i can be done by 2pm so that I am able to make my flight. It’s so woderful of them!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Site: Montana VA
Date received: 12/10/18
Method: email
Date offered: 1/9/19

Site: Black Hills VA
Method: email
Dates offered: 1/22/19, 1/23/19, 1/24/19

It's a happy Monday!

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone heard from The Guidance Center in KS? They were supposed to email all applicants over the weekend, but I didn't receive anything...guessing that's a no, but it read as though they were going to notify all applicant regardless of acceptance, so figured I would ask! At this rate, hearing anything, good or bad, from any sites remaining is welcome news!

Jk...received an email just a moment ago
Site: The Guidance Center - Leavenworth, KS
Method: mass email
Dates offered: in-person interviews on Fridays in January; a scheduling email will be sent out later this week

Reactions: 4 users
Mass rejection from McLean x3. I got it the first time :(

Reactions: 1 user
Official Site Name: Virginia Tech, Thomas E. Cook Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received: 12/10/2018 (at 12:13am)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Offered Interview Dates: 1/7, 1/8, 1/10, 1/11
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Hanging out with non-grad school people and re-watching episodes of The Good Place

I’m at VT for my grad program, let me know if you have any questions about the area

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Purdue CAPS
Date Invitation Received: 12/10/2018 (at 950am)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Offered Interview Dates: 1/3 through 1/9

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Official Site Name: Miami-Dade County Community Action and Human Services Department
Date Invitation Received: 12/10/2018
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Offered Interview Dates: January 2019, they said contact to set up a day/time.
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: snow day here, because north carolina can't handle snow. so im cleaning and organizing, writing holiday cards.... keeping busy inside haah

Reactions: 9 users
Official Site Name: Miami-Dade County Community Action and Human Services Department
Date Invitation Received: 12/10/2018
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Offered Interview Dates: January 2019, they said contact to set up a day/time.
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: snow day here, because north carolina can't handle snow. so im cleaning and organizing, writing holiday cards.... keeping busy inside haah

Got some fam in Greensboro, I heard things are pretty much at a total standstill. I hope none of your travel plans get messed up as a result.

Got some fam in Greensboro, I heard things are pretty much at a total standstill. I hope none of your travel plans get messed up as a result.
Luckily no, i got back last night pretty easily, though most airlines had shut down at rdu. 6 inches of snow just destroys this state hahaha

Sent from my LM-V350 using SDN mobile

I also got a rejectionX3 from Mclean but then a "recall" of the rejection email - what does this mean?? :unsure:
I think he was trying to recall the second rejection. I initially hoped it meant the rejection was a mistake but don’t think that’s the case.

I think he was trying to recall the second rejection. I initially hoped it meant the rejection was a mistake but don’t think that’s the case.
Oh man this sounds frustrating

Still waiting on:

University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center (St. Jude)
Harvard Medical School/Boston Children's Hospital
Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children's Hospital
Children's Hospital of Orange County

(all pediatric neuro. except BCH)

All I want for christmas is a few california invitations :corny:

Reactions: 8 users
Complete silence on this end. I just want to take a look at my inbox and see something. Anything.

Sooo, im flying to Boston this week. Boston Medical Center. Any advice on what the weather is like right now? Best way to travel, etc. I have never been to this part of the country and I'm pretty nervous going alone.

Can we please talk clothing for a female for a moment? I am an older candidate, and feeling a bit insecure about that. I don't want to make myself seem even older by poor choices in interview attire. (The thread about no navy shoes with a navy suit freaked me out a bit, as I have never heard that before. I always wear navy shoes with navy trousers or a navy suit and did not know that I was making a faux pas. )

I live in the North. I have some interviews in the Northeast, some in the Northern and Southern parts of Midwest, some in the deep south, and some in Florida.
1. What do you do about snow boots in the North? Do you wear the snow boots and change into appropriate shoes once you get there? If so, what do you do with your boots?
2. What do people wear in Florida and the deep south in the wintertime? Do I wear one of my summer-weight suits because it is hot there, or do I wear one of my winter-weight suits because, well, it is winter? (Note: I consider anything warmer than 40 to be almost tropical. Lol).
3. For those sites requesting that I bring a photo- do I bring a photo printed on regular photo paper, or one on regular paper?
4. Are boots that are NOT snow boots (simple tall black leather boots- (upper calf height, no heel, and no excess buckles or straps etc) OK? If they are OK, are they OK in the South and in Florida?
5. Last, let's talk hose/tights. My experience is that no one under the age of 30 wears them. However, in the North, we wear black opaque tights with everything. What about in the South? I do not like nude hose, but feel uncomfortable wearing nothing. Do women wear black opaque tights in Florida when it is winter but 80 degrees out?

Open to all suggestions and opinions.
Thank you!

Sooo, im flying to Boston this week. Boston Medical Center. Any advice on what the weather is like right now? Best way to travel, etc. I have never been to this part of the country and I'm pretty nervous going alone.

Boston isn't affected by weather, typically. The T is the best way to get around, again super easy, and you can take it from the airport (silver line) and transfer to where ever you're staying. Happy to help w/ specifics if you want to message me. I'm very familiar w/ BMC.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone reached out to Virginia Treatment Center for Children now that their notification date has passed? Would be nice to know for sure if I'm getting a rejection so I can move on with my life.....

Can we please talk clothing for a female for a moment?
1. What do you do about snow boots in the North? Do you wear the snow boots and change into appropriate shoes once you get there? If so, what do you do with your boots?
3. For those sites requesting that I bring a photo- do I bring a photo printed on regular photo paper, or one on regular paper?
Thank you!

I can't answer the south questions, but for the north- if its actively snowing, I wear my snowboots, and change when I get there. I bring a bag to put them in, and set the bag aside in the corner of the room. If its not actively snowing/there arent inches of snow out, I always wear nice leather booties (with like 1.5 inch stiletto heels), so those are way warmer than typical dress shoes, but also look nice.

I printed passport size photos at CVS, 8 of them for like $1.50. Some sites specified passport size. They are 2x3 I think or something.

Can we please talk clothing for a female for a moment? I am an older candidate, and feeling a bit insecure about that. I don't want to make myself seem even older by poor choices in interview attire. (The thread about no navy shoes with a navy suit freaked me out a bit, as I have never heard that before. I always wear navy shoes with navy trousers or a navy suit and did not know that I was making a faux pas. )

I live in the North. I have some interviews in the Northeast, some in the Northern and Southern parts of Midwest, some in the deep south, and some in Florida.
2. What do people wear in Florida and the deep south in the wintertime? Do I wear one of my summer-weight suits because it is hot there, or do I wear one of my winter-weight suits because, well, it is winter? (Note: I consider anything warmer than 40 to be almost tropical. Lol).
4. Are boots that are NOT snow boots (simple tall black leather boots- (upper calf height, no heel, and no excess buckles or straps etc) OK? If they are OK, are they OK in the South and in Florida?
5. Last, let's talk hose/tights. My experience is that no one under the age of 30 wears them. However, in the North, we wear black opaque tights with everything. What about in the South? I do not like nude hose, but feel uncomfortable wearing nothing. Do women wear black opaque tights in Florida when it is winter but 80 degrees out?

Open to all suggestions and opinions.
Thank you!

I am in a unique experience in the sense that I grew up in New Orleans so I know what to do in the deep South but I also am doing my doctoral program in Chicago so I know a bit about both. Quite frankly everyone in Chicago where it’s really really bad with the winter wear snowboots during their public transportation or on their way to their job and then once they get there they change into their office attire shoes as will call them. So that would not be a huge faux pas however depending upon the weather you can’t get away with wearing boots that are more of a weather resistant quality kind of like a good leather bootie just be mindful of walking in the snow and the fact that you need to tilt some of your body weight forward to maintain balance, like a penguin. In the south especially if it’s a place like Florida where winter is maybe 65° you wear whatever is comfortable as long as it’s professional and quite frankly since they are natives there they would totally understand I don’t think it would be a huge issue.

In South Texas, no real need for tights. hose are ok but I typically do not see many younger people wearing them. I like them every now and again but it can get hot out of nowhere and you'll regret them. If I were interviewing down here, I'd wear a skirt suit and heels possibly with nude hose if it is a warm day. If it might be cold, I would wear a pant suit and no hose, with a loose fitting/light material type long sleeve blouse in case it all of a sudden gets hot and I can remove my blazer. Down here, you can start the morning cool and be hot by 1 pm and back to cold again at night. Really looking forward to some California invites!!!

Home looks cold (20s and 30s), but luckily no weather in the forecast. I would recommend Uber or something similar if you’re not familiar with the area, the T isn’t user friendly and renting a car is difficult because the area just isn’t intuitive with a lot of one way streets and roundabouts, not to mention parking is few and far between. Make sure you have a warm jacket, you might also want gloves for walking outside. Be mindful of shoes, it may be icy (I would recommend maybe having flats with rubber soles in your bag toneasiky switch out with heels?). For your return be early at the airport, TSA is sloooooooooow in boston. Let me know if I can help :)

Official Site Name: University of Nevada, Reno CAPS
Date Invitation Received: 12/7/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): No track
Offered Interview Dates: Not offered yet, will be contacted this week

Official Site Name: New Mexico State University CAPS
Date Invitation Received: 12/10/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): No track
Offered Interview Dates: 1/07-1/09

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone reached out to Virginia Treatment Center for Children now that their notification date has passed? Would be nice to know for sure if I'm getting a rejection so I can move on with my life.....
I was wondering the same thing! Still in limbo on this one.

I received an official rejection from my current site this morning. I was definitely disappointed, but I had taken the weekend to come to terms with it when I didn't receive an invitation on Friday. Ultimately, it's just a reminder that there are so many talented and wonderful clinicians out there, who all are passionate about helping people and have matching experiences. I did appreciate that it was communicated to me in person and that I was given an appropriate chance to process the decision.

I've kind of lost interest in hearing from my remaining sites in that... at this point, I just want to end up somewhere. I've kind of realized that I was putting too much pressure on myself related to this process. No matter what I said, I was defining my worth as a clinician AND as a person by what invitations I received. It's an uphill battle not to continue doing that; but I am trying my best going forward.

Reactions: 17 users
I received an official rejection from my current site this morning. I was definitely disappointed, but I had taken the weekend to come to terms with it when I didn't receive an invitation on Friday. Ultimately, it's just a reminder that there are so many talented and wonderful clinicians out there, who all are passionate about helping people and have matching experiences. I did appreciate that it was communicated to me in person and that I was given an appropriate chance to process the decision.

I've kind of lost interest in hearing from my remaining sites in that... at this point, I just want to end up somewhere. I've kind of realized that I was putting too much pressure on myself related to this process. No matter what I said, I was defining my worth as a clinician AND as a person by what invitations I received. It's an uphill battle not to continue doing that; but I am trying my best going forward.

You are an amazing clinician and you will end up where you are meant to be! This process is like the EPPP it does not define who you are as a clinician but is a stepping stone to get there. You will do great things and the sites that have extended invitations to you recognize that. Plus maybe it’s a blessing in disguise because training at the same place they give you a sense of complacency and ball possibly challenge you in the ways that you need to be challenged as an intern. Maybe this is a good thing! With all that said I do understand that that is a significant blow to the ego and I’m sorry that you weren’t able to gain an interview at a place where you really wanted one.

Official Site Name: Stony Brook University CAPS
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: Asked to complete Doodle poll, should be notified of date/time by tomorrow afternoon

Official Site Name: University of Maryland CAPS
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call
Offered Interview Dates: Various times from 12/12 through 1/10, all either phone or Zoom

Come on Butner! Today is your day to shine!

Has anyone heard from California Pacific beyond Adult Inpatient or Program Admin? Those are both in the Adult Track but there are other specific positions, as well as the five in the Child track.

Official Site Name: El Camino Hospital
Offered Interview Dates: TBD

Hi everyone! I've been following this thread as a nonmember since it began, and just want to give a heartfelt thank you to everyone who has been willing to share their experiences thus far and to A Blue Duck for updating all the info! Finally decided to leave my wallflower status and offer some info & advice too (but I made sure to de-select any email notifications b/c it would wreak havoc on me). BTW, I have been on internship before - I left nine months in d/t a medical emergency, but APPIC requires 12 consecutive months to count internship, so after returning from a medical leave, I am redoing internship. Let me share that you are all amazing psychologists to be, and this process is a reflection of the system and NOT of you. If any of you has questions about interviews, or the process etc., feel free to PM me.

I applied to 13 sites, have received 4 invites so far, 3 rejections, waiting on 6 sites.

Official Site Name: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/28/2018
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): mass email
Offered Interview Dates: Dec. 7-19th, signed up through GenBook.

Official Site Name: University of California Berkeley Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/26/2018
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): phone call
Offered Interview Dates: Several in mid December (don't remember all the specific dates, sorry)

Official Site Name: Stanford University Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/27/2018
Offered Interview Dates: Dec. 11-14th and 18-20th, signed up via GenBook.

Official Site Name: Denver Health
Date Invitation Received: 11/29/2018
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): mass email
Offered Interview Dates: 12/19, 1/4, 1/15, asked to contact assistant to confirm date.
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: I joined a church that's very community-focused and have been fully engaging in all the weekly activities they have; started driving for Lyft & Uber to make $$ for interviews/holidays/rent and talk to all my riders about fun stuff; volunteered for a few charities/sponsorships to take the focus off myself and increase my gratitude; Netflix at lunch & night (Great British Baking Show, Final Table, Stay Here, The Blacklist, and I started rewatching Hart of Dixie and Friends); Started watching GOT; and, listen to my HP audiobook!!

Rejections from Yale Consultation Center Track; Harvard MMHC; and Dartmouth Medical Center.

Reactions: 12 users
Rejection from University of Minnesota Student Counseling Services, mass e-mail.