PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Neu
Can we please talk clothing for a female for a moment? I am an older candidate, and feeling a bit insecure about that. I don't want to make myself seem even older by poor choices in interview attire. (The thread about no navy shoes with a navy suit freaked me out a bit, as I have never heard that before. I always wear navy shoes with navy trousers or a navy suit and did not know that I was making a faux pas. )

I live in the North. I have some interviews in the Northeast, some in the Northern and Southern parts of Midwest, some in the deep south, and some in Florida.
1. What do you do about snow boots in the North? Do you wear the snow boots and change into appropriate shoes once you get there? If so, what do you do with your boots?
2. What do people wear in Florida and the deep south in the wintertime? Do I wear one of my summer-weight suits because it is hot there, or do I wear one of my winter-weight suits because, well, it is winter? (Note: I consider anything warmer than 40 to be almost tropical. Lol).
3. For those sites requesting that I bring a photo- do I bring a photo printed on regular photo paper, or one on regular paper?
4. Are boots that are NOT snow boots (simple tall black leather boots- (upper calf height, no heel, and no excess buckles or straps etc) OK? If they are OK, are they OK in the South and in Florida?
5. Last, let's talk hose/tights. My experience is that no one under the age of 30 wears them. However, in the North, we wear black opaque tights with everything. What about in the South? I do not like nude hose, but feel uncomfortable wearing nothing. Do women wear black opaque tights in Florida when it is winter but 80 degrees out?

Open to all suggestions and opinions.
Thank you!

Hi Eu2221,

I can speak to the Northern Midwest (I'm from Chicago), and parts of the Northeast (Have spent significant time/lived in NY, Boston, & mid-Atlantic). I've also spent quite a bit of time in Florida (Miami & Ft Lauderdale area) so I will give you my best educated guess from my experiences there. I'm responding to your q's as you have them listed.

1. Yep, you're right on the money. People wear snow boots and bring professional shoes to change into once inside. Bring a plastic bag and a couple paper towels, place the paper towels at the bottom of the bag and your snowy boots inside the bag on top of the paper towels to soak up the snow, otherwise you will end up with water in your bag which can quickly become a mess if there's a hole in your bag. You can ask the front desk if there is somewhere you can leave your boots before your interview begins, they'll direct you.

2. I would wear one of your summer-weight suits, it will feel warm to you even if it is their winter, and remember that when we're nervous for an interview our internal body temp goes up too.

3. Go to a CVS/Walgreens pharmacy with a photo section, and get passport photos done. They should be able to do it same day for pretty cheap.

4. I'm assuming the full length of the boots you've described would be showing, as in, your suit pants would have to be tucked into the boots? If so, then no, I would not wear them to an interview because it will look less professional. If you can get away with wearing them under your suit pants without the pants bulging too noticeably at the calf where the boot ends, then fine, but that would probably require very form fitting boots and looser suit pants. I would err on the side of a different shoe.

5. Tights are coming back, but in a different way than it used to be. In cold states (Midwest, Northeast), young women wear tights with casual cute dresses/skirts and flat shoes or short booties and cardigans. I have not seen women wear tights in Florida, even in the winter. However, it is pretty rare to see young women wear them under pants. I would not let that deter you from doing it though one bit. It's already a stressful situation, so whatever you can do to normalize it for yourself, you should, and if you feel most comfortable wearing them, then by all means wear them. If you're going to wear them in Florida, I would especially recommend the light-weight summer suit and expect to feel warm.

Members don't see this ad.

Me to Memphis VA Neuro Track:

0515c519ce8f282613525766ae6dc6c0bbba4d-wm.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Finally heard from Rutgers UBHC Newark! I have an interview for Friday, January 11th. :)

I had woken up this morning feeling not so great because I still hadn't heard from any sites for so long. Then I had a difficult session with one of my patients. I didn't have too many high hopes for the rest of the day, so getting the interview invitation email was certainly needed. As soon as I read it, I started crying. I was on the NYC subway, so no one thought it was weird. This process is wild, but it will eventually end and we will all be ok!

<3

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally a rejection from texas child study center.

Sent from my LM-V350 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard from the Edith Nourse Rogers’s VAMC to confirm interview dates? I emailed them my preference shortly after the invitation email, but haven’t heard back.

Has anyone heard from the Edith Nourse Rogers’s VAMC to confirm interview dates? I emailed them my preference shortly after the invitation email, but haven’t heard back.

Same here. I got nervous and called this morning (had to leave a voicemail) because our university’s email had had some issues. I was afraid they didn’t get my first email! But still no word either way...anyone else double check their email when this happens due to an irrational fear that your sleep deprived brain made up the invite?

Official Site Name: University of Colorado Boulder CAPS
Date Invitation Received: 12/10/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 1/3, 1/4, 1/7 - 1/11

Reactions: 7 users
Official site name: va Maine Healthcare System
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): email
Offered Interview Dates: 12/27, 1/3, 1/10, 1/17

Reactions: 8 users

I have not heard either

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I am so excited about this one! Also I forgot to mention how I am staying sane...by soaking up the New England vibes and dreaming of living on the coast again! It’s been great Midwest but it’s time to be back by the ocean (or at least closer)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: University of Colorado Boulder CAPS
Offered Interview Dates: 1/3, 1/4, 1/7 - 1/11

Me too! Congrats!! Are you planning on attending the open house? I live in Denver, happy to offer any pointers or even meet up!

Reactions: 1 users
Official site name: Kansas City VA Medical Center
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): NA
Offered Interview Dates: 1/17, 1/18

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Me too!

Reactions: 5 users
Me too! Congrats!! Are you planning on attending the open house? I live in Denver, happy to offer any pointers or even meet up!
Thanks! Congrats to you too! TBD on the open house, I unfortunately have another open house on the same day so trying to figure out which one to prioritize!

It's 5 PM where I live and it appears I won't hear from any sites today!! :boom:

It's 5 PM where I live and it appears I won't hear from any sites today!! :boom:
I wouldnt say that! Ive received emails at 11pm, 2am, 8pm... No rhyme or reason hahah. Unpredictable, like in a scary movie

Sent from my LM-V350 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard from Child and Family Guidance Center in CA? Not Guidance Center in Long Beach, the one in Northridge (not sure if master list refers to the same). Today is their notification date

Did anyone hear from Columbus VA? I haven't heard anything and there's no notification date on the APPIC page, or at least I didn't see one.

Did anyone hear from Columbus VA? I haven't heard anything and there's no notification date on the APPIC page, or at least I didn't see one.
Hey! Are you waiting for an interview invitiation or date confirmation? I got an invite last Thursday but they never confirmed my date. When I called today, they said they didn’t receive my email and confirmed over the phone.

Official Site Name: Columbus VA, Chalmers P. Wylie Health Care Center / Behavioral Health Division
Date Invitation Received: 12/10/2018
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
Offered Interview Dates: Schedule for phone interview only

Reactions: 3 users
Official site name: VA Maine Health Care System
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): clinical

Official site name: Sheridan VA (Wyoming)
Offered Interview Dates: mornings of January 7, 9, 11, 14, 16, and 18 (offered phone call, unless prefer to interview in person)

Official site name: Oakes Children's Center
Offered Interview Dates: Call to schedule interview

Official Site Name: Memphis VA
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsych
Offered Interview Dates: 1/11, 1/14, 1/25, 1/28

Reactions: 7 users
Official Site Name: Rogers Memorial Hospital
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Anxiety disorders
Offered Interview Dates: 1/17 or 1/21

Has anyone heard from St. Jude/Univ. of Tennessee Health Sciences Center? :(

I received an official rejection from my current site this morning. I was definitely disappointed, but I had taken the weekend to come to terms with it when I didn't receive an invitation on Friday. Ultimately, it's just a reminder that there are so many talented and wonderful clinicians out there, who all are passionate about helping people and have matching experiences. I did appreciate that it was communicated to me in person and that I was given an appropriate chance to process the decision.

I've kind of lost interest in hearing from my remaining sites in that... at this point, I just want to end up somewhere. I've kind of realized that I was putting too much pressure on myself related to this process. No matter what I said, I was defining my worth as a clinician AND as a person by what invitations I received. It's an uphill battle not to continue doing that; but I am trying my best going forward.

A word of encouragement - sometimes our rejections are because we are overqualified and the site feels they have nothing new to add to our training. That may be the case with your current site!! I’m so sorry for the rejection though i know it feels bad no matter what.

Reactions: 6 users
Official Site Name: William & Mary
Date Invitation Received:12/10
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Offered Interview Dates: 01/07, 01/08, 01/10, 01/11, 01/14

Official Site Name: University of Minnesota Student Counseling Services
Date Invitation Received: 12/10/2018
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Offered Interview Dates: January 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 14 phone interview only

Reactions: 5 users
A few of my cohort members received rejections from a site this AM, but I haven't heard anything yet. I know that they sent out invites a long time ago, so I'm just wondering if they forgot about me? THIS IS THE WORST

So I received an invitation to attend the University of Washington SOM Open House, but I have another interview on that day and told them I’d like to do a phone interview instead. They said they’d schedule phone interviews later in the month, so I should sit tight. Well just now I received an email that says “We are thrilled you are able to attend our open house!”

Anyone else in the same boat and also receive this email? I’m trying to decide whether it was a mass email to the same list as the initial invitation (in which case they likely do have it marked that I’ll not be attending) or if they don’t have my RSVP marked appropriately. I’d prefer not to send a reminder that I’m not attending the open house if I can avoid it, as I’m still very interested in the site and don’t want to remind them that I’m obviously not prioritizing them highly enough to make it to the open house haha.

Two interviews down and still waiting on Carle! C’mon Carle!!

A few of my cohort members received rejections from a site this AM, but I haven't heard anything yet. I know that they sent out invites a long time ago, so I'm just wondering if they forgot about me? THIS IS THE WORST
I'm in this position for Lewisville... my cohortmates got rejections last week sometime and I haven't heard either way :( the waiting game is killing me.

Second wave of invites!

Official Site Name
: Ancora Psychiatric Hospital
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Offered Interview Dates: 1/8 and 1/9

Reactions: 10 users
I’m still waiting to hear from 8 sites with notification dates between 12/12 - 12/21. Who wants to wait that long to send out invites!?!

If I were a reviewer I’d rather be focusing on having my work done so I can enjoy the holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m still waiting to hear from 8 sites with notification dates between 12/12 - 12/21. Who wants to wait that long to send out invites!?!

If I were a reviewer I’d rather be focusing on having my work done so I can enjoy the holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

same. 8 sites left :(

Blue Duck,
Thanks so much. You are the APPIC MVP this year. Seriously, the karma should come in abundance for you...

Official Site Name: University of Puget Sound Counseling, Health and Wellness Services
Date Invitation Received:
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Offered Interview Dates: 1/2-1/14

Reactions: 8 users