PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those of you that got an invite from UMass- when did they tell you the interview days ends? I thought it was 2:15, but then I saw that last year it ended at 4pm and my return flight from Boston is at 5pm... :/ my interview is this Tuesday! i would change my flight but the latest flight back to my city that doesn’t have an overnight layover somewhere is at 5:30pm. Plus i really need to get back that same day cause I have a 3mo baby and i’m nursing. I wish they sent an email with the details, i was too excited during the phone call to reliably retain the information

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Quiet weekend for notifications! It seems wild that I still have 9 sites to hear from and it's very likely that a ton of those notifications will be rolling in this week. I'm feeling at peace with the process right now. I hope y'all are feeling the same :)

Reactions: 10 users
Quiet weekend for notifications! It seems wild that I still have 9 sites to hear from and it's very likely that a ton of those notifications will be rolling in this week. I'm feeling at peace with the process right now. I hope y'all are feeling the same :)
Yeah no notifactions at all! This week should be interesting. Definitely will up my yoga, meditation, AA, and therapy hahaha.

Sent from my LM-V350 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Those of you that got an invite from UMass- when did they tell you the interview days ends? I thought it was 2:15, but then I saw that last year it ended at 4pm and my return flight from Boston is at 5pm... :/ my interview is this Tuesday! i would change my flight but the latest flight back to my city that doesn’t have an overnight layover somewhere is at 5:30pm. Plus i really need to get back that same day cause I have a 3mo baby and i’m nursing. I wish they sent an email with the details, i was too excited during the phone call to reliably retain the information

I havent heard anything - got no details about time on the phone, and haven't got an email with details either

Official Site Name: Adler Juvenile Justice Internship
Date Invitation Received: 12/8
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Offered Interview Dates: letter says they will contact to schedule soon

Reactions: 8 users
Official Site Name: Adler Juvenile Justice Internship
Date Invitation Received: 12/8
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Offered Interview Dates: letter says they will contact to schedule soon
Congrats, me too!

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone who applied to either Medical Unit or CBAT positions at Fransican Children’s heard back? They’re the last site I’m waiting on!

Has anyone received an invite from Kansas City VA? That’s my last one to hear from.

At the airport on the my way to my first interview up north / where it is cold and realized I did not bring a jacket

Reactions: 3 users
At the airport on the my way to my first interview up north / where it is cold and realized I did not bring a jacket

Go buy one ASAP!! You’ll need it!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 6 users
Go buy one ASAP!! You’ll need it!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I arrive at 8 pm and everything looks closed! I keep telling myself it’s better than forgetting my suit, but ugh. I will stop by a store after my interview most likely.

I arrive at 8 pm and everything looks closed! I keep telling myself it’s better than forgetting my suit, but ugh. I will stop by a store after my interview most likely.

I feel cold just thinking about this. If the area you are going has amazon prime now you might consider buying a jacket there (if available) and having it delivered to your hotel so its there when you arrive. It probably wouldn't be the perfect jacket but having nothing will be miserable.

Even if you could buy some random sweatshirt or something when you get to the airport that would be better than nothing. You are going to want to cry without anything lol, especially after the sun has set.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to echo someone from last week - it feels ridiculous, but I am ready for the weekend to be over so that we can move on with these notifications.

Reactions: 9 users
Hi all! Would anyone mind posting again about portable clothes steamers that worked well? Not sure how to locate posts about that from earlier in the forum. Thanks!

Hi all! Would anyone mind posting again about portable clothes steamers that worked well? Not sure how to locate posts about that from earlier in the forum. Thanks!

I bought this one from amazon and just tried it today! It worked great and is small so it will be easy to pack. It is the Hilife Steamer for Clothes, Handheld Garmet Steamer Amazon product

Brightside27, post: 20523274, member: 957920"]Those of you that got an invite from UMass- when did they tell you the interview days ends? I thought it was 2:15, but then I saw that last year it ended at 4pm and my return flight from Boston is at 5pm... :/ my interview is this Tuesday! i would change my flight but the latest flight back to my city that doesn’t have an overnight layover somewhere is at 5:30pm. Plus i really need to get back that same day cause I have a 3mo baby and i’m nursing. I wish they sent an email with the details, i was too excited during the phone call to reliably retain the information

I have an interview at UMass on a different day, but on the phone I was told the interview day officially ends at 4pm, however, sometimes your last interview will finish early and you are free to leave once that is over. I got the impression that, if anything, it would could end early by like 15-20 minutes, but probably not more than that.

Brightside27, post: 20523274, member: 957920"]Those of you that got an invite from UMass- when did they tell you the interview days ends? I thought it was 2:15, but then I saw that last year it ended at 4pm and my return flight from Boston is at 5pm... :/ my interview is this Tuesday! i would change my flight but the latest flight back to my city that doesn’t have an overnight layover somewhere is at 5:30pm. Plus i really need to get back that same day cause I have a 3mo baby and i’m nursing. I wish they sent an email with the details, i was too excited during the phone call to reliably retain the information

I have an interview at UMass on a different day, but on the phone I was told the interview day officially ends at 4pm, however, sometimes your last interview will finish early and you are free to leave once that is over. I got the impression that, if anything, it would could end early by like 15-20 minutes, but probably not more than that.

Double checking but does the UMASS interview start at 8 or 8:30 ?

oh man... I looked for all flight options and the latest flight out of Boston is at 6pm and at that time of the day it takes hour and a half to get to the airport... I'll email them or give them a call to see what my options are.

Official Site Name: Jefferson County Internship Consortium (JCIC)
Date Invitation Received: 12/9 (Sunday at 9:45pm!?)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): I think mass email
Offered Interview Dates: 1/7, 1/18

Reactions: 8 users
oh man... I looked for all flight options and the latest flight out of Boston is at 6pm and at that time of the day it takes hour and a half to get to the airport... I'll email them or give them a call to see what my options are.
You could also look at options flying out of Providence and Manchester (New Hampshire). I don't think it will take that long to get to Logan at that time of day - I'd probably budget an hour and expect it to take around half that. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Official Site Name: Jefferson County Internship Consortium (KY)
Date Invitation Received: 12/9
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 1/7 and 1/18
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: not sure I’d qualify as sane right now lol.... can this process be over soon?!

Any chance anyone knows of anyone who has applied to the Maine or Wyoming Va? I know notifications are next week but I think they tend to be less popular and I’m wondering if I’m just in a reject pile
I applied to both the Maine and Wyoming (Sheridan) VAs and no word yet. Glad someone else on here did as well, because I'm also hopeful for early news.

You could also look at options flying out of Providence and Manchester (New Hampshire). I don't think it will take that long to get to Logan at that time of day - I'd probably budget an hour and expect it to take around half that. Good luck!

Thank you! I just looked and Providence has a later flight i could make, but the layover in Atlanta is only 45min so i’m worried i would miss my connection and end up stuck at the Atlanta airport. You think i could make the 6pm flight out of Boston if i left around 4pm? I thought it took an hour but google says it takes hour and a half due to traffic at that time of the day. :(
I composed the email to the training director but i’m worried i’ll hurt my chances and come off as disorganized and needy .... :/

Last edited:
Thank you! I just looked and Providence has a later flight i could make, but the layover in Atlanta is only 45min so i’m worried i would miss my connection and end up stuck at the Atlanta airport. You think i could make the 6pm flight out of Boston if i left around 4pm? I thought it took an hour but google says it takes hour and a half due to traffic at that time of the day. :(
I composed the email to the training director but i’m worried i’ll hurt my chances and come off as disorganized and needy .... :/

That's a gamble, tbh. Someone mentioned "budget an hour, it'll take half." This is impossible- it takes an absolute minimum of 45 mins to get from Worcester to Boston without ANY traffic AND speeding (it's the Northeast, what can I say). That, too, Logan is on the northeastern end of Boston. Could you find any flights out of Worcester itself (they have a small airport)? Alternatively, you could chance the layover and take the flight from PVD or look into Bradley Int'l in Hartford, which is slightly farther, but don't spend a fortune. If you have to leave the interview early, then you have to leave early. I think even 20 minutes earlier should buy you some sanity, and shouldn't ruffle too many faculty feathers.

Edit: Before you start panicking, confirm your fears are true. Email or phone the program assistant if there is one. Maybe your interviews end at 3!

Last edited:
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): I think mass email
Congrats, me too!!

Reactions: 3 users
I applied to both the Maine and Wyoming (Sheridan) VAs and no word yet. Glad someone else on here did as well, because I'm also hopeful for early news.
Looks like we will be getting news this week. Maine is home for me so I’m Going to be pretty bummed if I don’t get an interview. I have 7 sites left to hear from overall so this could be an interesting week lol

At that time of day it will absolutely take you well over an hour. My husband is from the area (see EIGHT MILES from the airport....) it’s been our experience that it can take over an hour to go the 8 miles...
Check Manchester or even Portland Maine. The one in providence could work too but it’ll be an expensive drive. 45 minutes in Atlanta can be enough, but you’re banking on things leaving on time from the northeast during winter travel. I agree with others, confirm the interview times and then reevaluate. Worst case scenario, ask about ending early or take a flight the next morning. Even with a 215 end time you’d be cutting it close for a 5pm flight (in my opinion based on our experiences). I’m nursing/pumping for a 7 week old and it’s a bummer to try to navigate around family logistics that you don’t want to share with sites. I hope you find a solution you feel comfortable with ❤️

Has anyone received word from the Durham VA about details for the interview day? I am interviewing on the 12th and have not received any additional information about the interview except for the confirmation.I know they've been hit by a snow storm but I'm wondering if anyone else has received info either for the 11th and 12th date about where we go, etc.

Hartford/Springfield (Bradley) airport is also an option.

Official Site Name: Virginia Tech, Thomas E. Cook Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received: 12/10/2018 (at 12:13am)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Offered Interview Dates: 1/7, 1/8, 1/10, 1/11
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Hanging out with non-grad school people and re-watching episodes of The Good Place

Reactions: 7 users
That's a gamble, tbh. Someone mentioned "budget an hour, it'll take half." This is impossible- it takes an absolute minimum of 45 mins to get from Worcester to Boston without ANY traffic AND speeding (it's the Northeast, what can I say). That, too, Logan is on the northeastern end of Boston. Could you find any flights out of Worcester itself (they have a small airport)? Alternatively, you could chance the layover and take the flight from PVD or look into Bradley Int'l in Hartford, which is slightly farther, but don't spend a fortune. If you have to leave the interview early, then you have to leave early. I think even 20 minutes earlier should buy you some sanity, and shouldn't ruffle too many faculty feathers.

Edit: Before you start panicking, confirm your fears are true. Email or phone the program assistant if there is one. Maybe your interviews end at 3!

Oh! When I saw "UMass," I thought UMass BOSTON - which is a quick trip to Logan. I didn't realize this was UMass Memorial in Worcester until I saw the above post. Yeah, sorry. I'd budget two hours for that and expect closer to 1.5 hours. I agree with adding Bradley to the list of airports to check and I think Worcester has a small airport you can also check.

I think it's reasonable to check with the site to confirm your schedule. If you can't leave by 3 (like in an uber/taxi at 3) the layover option is probably safer.

Sorry for misunderstanding your location. I hope the interview in Worcester goes well!

Oh! When I saw "UMass," I thought UMass BOSTON - which is a quick trip to Logan. I didn't realize this was UMass Memorial in Worcester until I saw the above post. Yeah, sorry. I'd budget two hours for that and expect closer to 1.5 hours. I agree with adding Bradley to the list of airports to check and I think Worcester has a small airport you can also check.

I think it's reasonable to check with the site to confirm your schedule. If you can't leave by 3 (like in an uber/taxi at 3) the layover option is probably safer.

Sorry for misunderstanding your location. I hope the interview in Worcester goes well!

I mean leave by 3pm for the 6pm flight.

Official Site Name: Virginia Tech, Thomas E. Cook Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received: 12/10/2018 (at 12:13am)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Offered Interview Dates: 1/7, 1/8, 1/10, 1/11
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Hanging out with non-grad school people and re-watching episodes of The Good Place
Congrats! Me too! What a nice way to wake up this morning.

I’m glad you posted this, I haven’t heard from them so I’m assuming I can cross them off my list now.

Has anyone reached out to Texas Child Study? At this point it’s looking like they may not notify rejectees but I would really like confirmation and am considering reaching out later today or tomorrow...

Univ of Florida finally put me out of my misery this morning. Can't wait for the wait to be over for the rest of my sites!!

Has anyone reached out to Texas Child Study? At this point it’s looking like they may not notify rejectees but I would really like confirmation and am considering reaching out later today or tomorrow...

I was thinking about reaching out, but at this point I wasn't aware that anyone had heard positive or negative news from them... So I was going to give it a few more days before reaching out.

I was thinking about reaching out, but at this point I wasn't aware that anyone had heard positive or negative news from them... So I was going to give it a few more days before reaching out.

Yeah, I know that some people received invitations way back in mid-November but this may have been for a different track. I suppose I’ll give it a few days, too. Just reaching maximum impatience levels for all the 8 sites I’m still waiting on haha.