PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had the same thing happen to me! It was really confusing and definitely a blow to my confidence. They called me and said they had called the wrong candidate. I figure if they are that unorganized...especially when they must know how stressful this is for us..we probably dodged a bullet.

For sure!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Ok y’all, I’m anticipating that today could be the end of this leg of the process for many of us. I so hope I’m right. Good luck everyone and happy Friday!!

Reactions: 9 users
Someone I was interviewing with mentioned today that she was taking into account how the interview went in her rankings. Are we supposed to be doing that?? I thought that shouldn’t matter and that we should rank what we like best without taking into account how much we think the site liked us

Rank according to how much you liked the training opportunities and such. It makes zero sense to rank a site based on how you think they will rank you. That's not how the match algorithm works.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Brattleboro Retreat
Date Invitation Received: 12/11/2018
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Offered Interview Dates: 1/11, 1/18
Which date did you choose? I will be there on the 18th!

Just waiting on california sites . Come on Cali!!
Sharp healthcare
cSU-Northridge
Csu - san marcos
Univ san Diego
Marin county

Reactions: 1 users
Official Site Name: Child Guidance Center of Southern Connecticut
Date Invitation Received: 12/13/2018
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Offered Interview Dates: 1/7/18, 1/10/18

Reactions: 6 users
Rejection from Florida Department of Corrections. This is the first one that really stung.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone call Jackson Health System/University of Miami to schedule during the time slot and get a voicemail service? I'm worried I'm calling the wrong number.

Anyone call Jackson Health System/University of Miami to schedule during the time slot and get a voicemail service? I'm worried I'm calling the wrong number.
The same thing is happening to me! It says welcome to " space" and if you know your parties intension dial it. I'm not sure what to do? The second number works/ it's for the general psych department but I haven't left voicemail yet.

The same thing is happening to me! It says welcome to " space" and if you know your parties intension dial it. I'm not sure what to do? The second number works/ it's for the general psych department but I haven't left voicemail yet.

I spelled out the persons last name and left a voicemail on the first phone number. Im not really sure either what to do next... At least it seems like everyone is in the same boat.

Thanks for the idea! At least I know I left a message with the right person now. This just isn't what I was expecting.

Thanks for the idea! At least I know I left a message with the right person now. This just isn't what I was expecting.

Same. The email says if you get a busy signal call back, but with the mass voicemail service we would never get a busy signal.... I'm overthinking this lol

Same. The email says if you get a busy signal call back, but with the mass voicemail service we would never get a busy signal.... I'm overthinking this lol
I know someone who interned there last year and she told me the same thing about the busy signal so same lol. I almost contacted her and or called the director but then decided against it lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from Alexian ped neuro one way or the other? Their notification date is 12/31. Yes, really. I see other tracks came through in Nov.

Official Site Name: Georgia Regional Hospital - Atlanta
Date Invitation Received: 12/14/2018
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Offered Interview Dates: 1/10/18, 1/11/18, 1/18/18

Reactions: 2 users
So I'm not sure if you did anything else but I called again randomly and she picked up so I was able to schedule!

Would it be supper awkward if I brought in a yeti cooler a me, along w my suitcases? I am trying not to but it’s either that or risk missing my flight for today’s interview. I am not carrying anything weird in it, just pumped breastmilk for my baby, but don’t want to attract unnecessary attention!

What are people doing to deal with rejections? I can imagine many of us haven't had to face rejection prior to this nightmarish process and it is a lot of negativity coming in a concentrated amount of time. Any suggestions would help.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

I just keep reminding myself that many tracks are only interviewing their top 10 applicants for each position and it’s possible that for many of the sites I received rejections from, I was number 11 Also, I had the opportunity to talk to a former training director and she told me that it was astonishing how many amazingly qualified applicants they had to turn away just because they simply couldn’t interview all of them. It’s just a numbers game.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Official Site Name: West Virginia University CC
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 1/5/18 - 1/12/18

Official Site Name: Southern Utah University CC
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
Offered Interview Dates: 1/17/18 - 1/24/18

Reactions: 7 users
Literally nobody will know the answer to this but I’m feeling a little unhinged and I’m going to ask it anyway: do we really think sites with 12/20 or 12/21 notification dates will wait that long? I’m waiting on Kennedy’s non-accredited trauma track and cypress-Fairbanks and starting to get stressed about scheduling travel plans. Because I haven’t yet.
emoji51.png
emoji51.png
emoji51.png

I received a call Wednesday from a site that had a 12/21 notification date.

Has anyone heard from Alexian ped neuro one way or the other? Their notification date is 12/31. Yes, really. I see other tracks came through in Nov.

I haven’t and I had honestly written them off/forgot about them until now!

Official Site Name: Devereux MA & RI
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
Offered Interview Dates: 1/7, 1/11, 1/18, 1/21

Woo hoo!

Reactions: 10 users
Mass email rejection from UCSD/San Diego VA. I've been expecting this one for awhile. Onward!

Woo hoo!

I’ll have to ask you for tips when it comes to post doc apps. You seem to be killing it at sites that match my interests well! Still hoping I hear from them positively today but congrats! :)

Invite from Devereux MA quickly followed by a rejection from Hutchings Psychiatric Center. Ah well!

Q: With all the Skype/zoom opportunities, how far apart is everyone spacing their interviews? I'm trying to do, at the most, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. However, I may have to put a couple of them back-to-back in the morning but that seems like that would be overwhelming. What do you think?

Official Site Name: Gulf Coast VAMC
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): (Personal?) Email
Offered Interview Dates: 1/8, 1/9, 1/15

Reactions: 7 users
I’ll have to ask you for tips when it comes to post doc apps. You seem to be killing it at sites that match my interests well! Still hoping I hear from them positively today but congrats! :)
I'm waiting and really hoping for this one as well... I hope they are sending them out one at a time but really, I just want to know one way or the other ASAP. torture.

I'm waiting and really hoping for this one as well... I hope they are sending them out one at a time but really, I just want to know one way or the other ASAP. torture.

Ugh me too!! This site is the exact type of work I want to do in in the future. But my hours are what they are so whatever happens happens. Just let me know!

Official Site Name: California Medical Facility - Psychiatric Inpatient Program
Offered Interview Dates: 1/10, 1/15, 1/17

Mass email rejection from UCSD/San Diego VA. I've been expecting this one for awhile. Onward!

Likewise. It’s interesting that they state in the email that they like to inform people of rejection as soon as possible. I feel like ASAP was a month ago.

Interview from Devereux MA! I was really really interested in this site even though I applied somewhat last min. Super excited!

Reactions: 4 users
Mass rejection from my current prac site. :/ womp womp. It's the most WONDERFUL timmee for a beeeer!! Haha.

Reactions: 10 users
Mass rejection from my current prac site. :/ womp womp. It's the most WONDERFUL timmee for a beeeer!! Haha.

Oh dude! I know that feel! I was DEVASTATED to be rejected from my current site! It was still this week and feeling fresh for me but I have been working on getting over it, so if you need any help on reframing that, i'm here for ya!

Official Site Name: California Medical Facility - Psychiatric Inpatient Program
Offered Interview Dates: 1/10, 1/15, 1/17

Looks like another upcoming rejection for me. The upcoming loss of SQ hurt, but this one.... this breaks my heart.

Woo hoo!
Me too! Said I'd never move back to ma buuut...

Sent from my LM-V350 using SDN mobile

Interview from Devereux MA! I was really really interested in this site even though I applied somewhat last min. Super excited!

OMG SAME!!! I am so happy. Congrats!!!! Which interview dates did you request? I asked for the 21st because I can't really do any of the others unless I re-arrange my schedule, but I said I could do the 7th if the 21st was not possible.

Rejection from Mailman, invite from Devereux. 3 sites to go!

Sent from my LM-V350 using SDN mobile

OMG SAME!!! I am so happy. Congrats!!!! Which interview dates did you request? I asked for the 21st because I can't really do any of the others unless I re-arrange my schedule, but I said I could do the 7th if the 21st was not possible.

I can only do the 21st and asked for it. It was confirmed just a few min later :) Hoping the 21st works for you too!

Official Site Name: University of Northern Colorado Counseling Center
Offered Interview Dates: 1/7-1/18

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Oh dude! I know that feel! I was DEVASTATED to be rejected from my current site! It was still this week and feeling fresh for me but I have been working on getting over it, so if you need any help on reframing that, i'm here for ya!

Thank you!!! It feels like a bit of a blow, but I at least was given some notice by my current supervisor who is NOT on the internship committee. But still, it's weird to work there now being rejected and all...

Posting for a friend who heard back:

Official Site Name: Lewisville ISD
Date Invitation Received: 12/14
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): e-mail. Not sure if personal
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Offered Interview Dates: 1/16, 1/23, 1/30 If & How you're staying sane: