PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you!!! It feels like a bit of a blow, but I at least was given some notice by my current supervisor who is NOT on the internship committee. But still, it's weird to work there now being rejected and all...

That's exactly what happened to me. I requested NOT to receive a rejection email lol. Today is the notification date for my site so if I receive that mass rejection I will be a bit peeved!

What do you think of how they only offer phone interviews? And what other sites have you applied to?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I was closely reading their brochure and they actually welcome visits if they offer you an interview, so my plan (if I get one) is to schedule a site visit while I'm out west for interviews in Utah and Wyoming. At first I was a little put off by no in person interview, but then felt MUCH better when I saw you can schedule a visit.
I have also applied to several VAs (currently interviewing at Maine, Wyoming, and Jackson MS VAs, rejections from North Florida, Rocky Mountain, and Boise), I have an interview at a community mental health facility in Utah, The DC superior court, rejected from samaritan mental health, rejected from COPIC, rejected from CMHI Pueblo, and rejected from Aurora Mental health. What about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: DC Superior Court
Date Invitation Received: 12/14
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): NA
Offered Interview Dates: 1/7, 1/8, 1/9, 1/15, 1/16, 1/22
If & How you're staying sane: Going to Disney World tomorrow!

Reactions: 8 users
Likewise. It’s interesting that they state in the email that they like to inform people of rejection as soon as possible. I feel like ASAP was a month ago.

You're so right! To me that showed that they wrote the email a month ago and just declined to send it haha

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else get rejected from The School at Columbia University? I feel like only me and one other student applied there!

It was sad getting the rejection, but honestly, I knew it was a reach and a $58K salary was too good to be true!

Anyone else get rejected from The School at Columbia University? I feel like only me and one other student applied there!

It was sad getting the rejection, but honestly, I knew it was a reach and a $58K salary was too good to be true!

I was rejected from there! It was a bit disappointing as my DCT had assured me that they always interview a student from our program and I was the only one from our program applying this year. However, they had a VERY high number of intervention hours that I did not meet so I wasn't overly shocked.

I was rejected from there too. My friend managed to score an invite though.

Just trying to be objective about it. When I get a rejection I really do compare myself to an Olympic runner who finished in the bottom half of racers by a hundredth of a second. It’s silly but it helps me. Because I’m basically constantly reminding myself that this process involves making (sometimes very arbitrary) distinctions amongst a pool of the most qualified psychology student badasses in the country. Hell, maybe even the world. But when faced with a pool of incredibly talented and qualified applicants, sites have to make very difficult decisions somehow. For example, I got rejected from a site who told me it was because I haven’t done projective tests. Some directors may have given me the chance to come to their site and learn projective testing, but it was important to this one that I already knew it. This doesn’t make me “worse” than anyone else or diminish how hard I’ve worked. It’s just a difference between me and another applicant that means something to a particular training director in a particular place. I don’t mean to diminish our experiences with the process. Because thinking about this objectively doesn’t mean that the way decisions are made isn’t sometimes disappointing, and it definitely stings to be told we are not going to get a chance to do an internship that we’ve daydreamed about and worked really hard to achieve. But it doesn’t say anything about our value or worth as a human or a psychologist. This process is painful. But it will make us all stronger. And we’ll all end up right where we’re supposed to be.

Not silly. That's the way you SHOULD view it. And that's exactly what we would tell clients.

The application process is highly accomplished people competing against highly accomplished people. Something has to give.

It is also important to keep in mind that a rejection does not mean that they are "rejecting" you. They just thought that others were a better fit than you.

With each step that we take up the ladder, it will get more competitive.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone heard from the counseling centers at UT-Austin or University of Illinois? Those are the last two that I am waiting for. I have to think they either have sent invites (but not rejections) or will be notifying today.

Reactions: 1 user
Official Site Name: Carle Foundation Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 12/14/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A (but there is a child/adult/general track)
Offered Interview Dates: 1/19 (morning and afternoon session)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mass rejection from my current prac site. :/ womp womp. It's the most WONDERFUL timmee for a beeeer!! Haha.

Oh dude! I know that feel! I was DEVASTATED to be rejected from my current site! It was still this week and feeling fresh for me but I have been working on getting over it, so if you need any help on reframing that, i'm here for ya!

I also belong to the group of people rejected by current/former practicum sites :arghh: It wasn't all that surprising because it is one of the more competitive VA's in the country, but I was hoping to get preferential treatment :shrug:

Reactions: 2 users
Mass email rejection from Albert Einstein/Montefiore

And with that I finally heard from all the sites! The wait is over! :) overall I’m pretty satisfied with my number of interviews but most of all happy to stop obsessively checking my email!

Reactions: 8 users
Official Site Name: Carle Foundation Hospital
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A (but there is a child/adult/general track)
Offered Interview Dates: 1/19 (morning and afternoon session)

Congrats!!!! Hope this means i will hear soon!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Mass email rejection from Geisinger Medical Center, neuro track.

Only one more site to hear from!

Has anyone heard from the adult track of CHA?

As far as I can tell, the emails are individually sent to each track. Due to their seven tracks, it seems that Tracks 2, 3, and 6 have been notified. I am guessing you are referring to Track 1, which I haven't seen yet.

Has anyone had their interview date confirmed for University of Tennessee Health Sciences?

Thank you that was really helpful! I get nervous about diversity questions because I don’t want to sound ignorant or say the wrong thing. I’m also not sure what to say for a weakness, I was thinking maybe that I can be a perfectionist? But I don’t want to sound bad either lol

You could mention an area that you will be receiving training in (if you match there) that you don't yet have a lot of experience with - and be sure to include how excited you are to be able to address that weakness at their site (and maybe include specifics of how).

Anyone heard from the counseling centers at UT-Austin or University of Illinois? Those are the last two that I am waiting for. I have to think they either have sent invites (but not rejections) or will be notifying today.

I'm also waiting on UT-Austin. I haven't heard anything one way or the other and all of their interviews are in Jan via Skype, so I'm guess they're going to be sending out notifications today or tomorrow.

Official Site Name: University of San Diego Counseling Center
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email w/attachment
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 01/03 though 01/17, optional open house 01/18

*Email went into my junk folder, so definitely check your junk!

As far as I can tell, the emails are individually sent to each track. Due to their seven tracks, it seems that Tracks 2, 3, and 6 have been notified. I am guessing you are referring to Track 1, which I haven't seen yet.

Track 3 has two sub-tracks (3A is Cultural-Linguistic & Child; 3B is Cultural-Linguistic & Adult). And there's also two teams, Latino and Asian. I think only the Asian track has been notified, and I don't think that person specified if it was 3A or 3B. So, most of Track 3 still hasn't been notified yet either (and I still have my fingers crossed!!)

Official Site Name: Rutgers University Behavioral Health Care
Date Invitation Received: 12/14/2018
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Correctional
Offered Interview Dates: 1/16

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Come on Cy-Fair ISD! Put me out of my misery already so I can celebrate this chapter!

Come on Cy-Fair ISD! Put me out of my misery already so I can celebrate this chapter!
lol SERIOUSLY!!! I actually will welcome the (likely) rejection, but right now I'm just so hoping they notify today rather than waiting until next week. I am aware that their date says 12/21 or whatever, but it looks like they've notified earlier in past years so I'm REALLY hopeful...

Rejection from montefiore and Long Island Jewish today.

Official Site Name: Oregon State University
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): mass email to schedule interview via guidebook
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 1/14/18
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane
: Completing overdue work and dissertation HSIRB.

Reactions: 5 users
Charleston Consortium has a notification date of today, they do rolling interviews "invites sent out end of november and beginning of december". I'm thinkin/assuming that's an incoming rejection... I just want to know!

Sent from my LM-V350 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Interview acceptances from Children’s Institute, Inc. (CII) and UC Santa Cruz CAPS came out today!

CII indicated that they have reduced their slots to 3 and don’t have the Trauma track for next year anymore.

I'm wondering if Charleston Area Medical Center (CAMC/WVU SOM) is still continuing to invite and will actually wait until their deadline of 01/03 - they had a later application deadline and have only invited for one of their three stated interview dates (they have a unique process for interview requests). So maybe the interview notifications for 01/11 and 01/18 are still to come?

Rejection from Boston Medical Center - Center for Multicultural Training in Psychology. This one has definitely hurt the most. I really loved this site and thought we would be a good fit.

4 rejections and no invites today. Needless to say, today was rough. Only waiting to hear back from one more site.

Official Site Name: Southeast Human Service Center (SEHSC)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Offered Interview Dates: 1/23 (morning or afternoon) or 1/24 (morning or afternoon)

I'm wondering if Charleston Area Medical Center (CAMC/WVU SOM) is still continuing to invite and will actually wait until their deadline of 01/03 - they had a later application deadline and have only invited for one of their three stated interview dates (they have a unique process for interview requests). So maybe the interview notifications for 01/11 and 01/18 are still to come?

I'm wondering the same thing.

I'm trying to remind myself that a lot of sites will be pulling from the same pools of people. So even though everyone is very qualified they can each only hav one site they match with.
And they're all thinking the same thing about you! You all are part of the qualified pool! I know this process pulls for imposter syndrome, but you've gotten to this point, and you've gotten the interview.

That's exactly what happened to me. I requested NOT to receive a rejection email lol. Today is the notification date for my site so if I receive that mass rejection I will be a bit peeved!

Per APPIC guidelines, all applicants have to be notified of their status--not sure why or even if current prac students would or could be treated differently. I hope you all hear good news, though!

Per APPIC guidelines, all applicants have to be notified of their status--not sure why or even if current prac students would or could be treated differently. I hope you all hear good news, though!

I think they were notified in person as the site felt that was the best way to handle it and gave Laughing a choice as to whether she would also want to receive the email. Laughing chose to not receive it, but I imagine the first notification would meet APPIC guidelines.

Univeristy of San Diego cc rejection. Almost done! My california dreams are quickly fading into the mist.

Univeristy of San Diego cc rejection. Almost done! My california dreams are quickly fading into the mist.
I feel you. I've been away from my home/family/significant other in CA for my entire program and was really hoping to go back for internship but haven't gotten any CA interviews yet.