PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know what I'll do if I DON'T match. Just lie in my bed alone all night tbh....not ideal

I told them either way we need to go out and drink because it’ll either be to celebrate or drown my sorrows

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Enemy number one:

imageService

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Today is the first day that I have really been out of my mind. I'm climbing the walls and the damn Greg Keilin email didn't help.

LightheartedRichBoubou-small.gif

Reactions: 11 users
Today is the first day that I have really been out of my mind. I'm climbing the walls and the damn Greg Keilin email didn't help.

LightheartedRichBoubou-small.gif

When I saw that email I thought "No way! They really posted the results early!"

I was so excited/nervous opening that email. A big disappointment ensued and the waiting game continues.

Reactions: 5 users
FLU or stress vomiting? Not sure!

upload_2019-2-19_10-23-35.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
This week is gonna crawl by!! I made a list today of the pros of going into phase II. I am at a point where I think if I match to any of my sites i’ll be pleased and excited! But not matching, that is what I’m very scared of. Not sure it I have it in me to do this again!!

Can someone remind me, will we get an email or have to log in to match website to get results? It says by 10am but didn’t people get results earlier in previous years?

Can someone remind me, will we get an email or have to log in to match website to get results? It says by 10am but didn’t people get results earlier in previous years?

We will receive an email (usually well before 9am EST) and can then after 10am also check the results online.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wrong message board.

Has nobody ever made a joke about getting a tapeworm or the flu to lose weight? Just me?

It’s a joke I’d make with friends and I didn’t think of how it may come off on a public forum. I sincerely apologize for any offense I’ve caused and hope that nobody was triggered by my comment. I’ll delete it now.

Last edited:
Has nobody ever made a joke about getting a tapeworm or the flu to lose weight? Just me?

It’s a joke I’d make with friends and I didn’t think of how it may come off on a public forum. I sincerely apologize for any offense I’ve caused and hope that nobody was triggered by my comment. I’ll delete it now.

No worries, we get that it was an offhand comment. But, in the eating disorder community, there are strong feelings about the glorification of ED behaviors. E.g., the pro-ANA groups that used to be/maybe still are, very active on IG. It's more that this is what we treat. Just being a little more aware of stigmatizing comments.

Last edited:
No worries, we get that it was an offhand comment. But, in the earing disorder community, there are strong feelings about the glorification of ED behaviors. E.g., the pro-ANA groups that used to be/maybe still are, very active on IG. It's more that this is what we treat. Just being a little more aware of stigmatizing comments.

I definitely will. Thank you for pointing it out! I won’t be so careless again.

Reactions: 1 user
We will receive an email (usually well before 9am EST) and can then after 10am also check the results online.

Yeah I made a whole thread about this because, well, I’m just that neurotic. The consensus was that most have received emails ranging from as early as 6am up until 9am. Those three hours are going to be very anxiety producing.

Yeah I made a whole thread about this because, well, I’m just that neurotic. The consensus was that most have received emails ranging from as early as 6am up until 9am. Those three hours are going to be very anxiety producing.

I read that thread and was so confused because so many were posting their notification times without the time zones! For what it’s worth, everybody I’ve know who has gone through this received their emails between 7:50-8:30am EST.

Last edited:
I had some medical issues during my first year of grad school that set me back about a year and a half and so all of my cohort went through this process without me, and I am feeling a bit unmoored and cohortless right now. :-/
It's not quite the same as having my near and dear friends whom I've already been through hell and back with to go through this; but I gotta say, I am grateful that there are some giant dorks who at least partially cope with their stress and anxiety through posting on an online forum filled with other giant dorks to go through this nightmare with me. :)

So cheers to the next couple days of jumping out of our skins, everyone.

Reactions: 7 users
I had some medical issues during my first year of grad school that set me back about a year and a half and so all of my cohort went through this process without me, and I am feeling a bit unmoored and cohortless right now. :-/
It's not quite the same as having my near and dear friends whom I've already been through hell and back with to go through this; but I gotta say, I am grateful that there are some giant dorks who at least partially cope with their stress and anxiety through posting on an online forum filled with other giant dorks to go through this nightmare with me. :)

I totally get that I also feel cohortless! my cohort is really small and I am the only person applying for appic this year! there's only 2 others in my program going through the match- one who is a year above me and who has been a good resource but not a close friend or anything, and then someone else who lives in another state who I have never spoken to. so it's been so nice to have the forum!

I'm glad that someone asked about this! Does anyone know if we will receive an email whether we match or not?? I'd hate to have one of those 'you get an email if it's good news, but you'll be left hanging for longer than everyone else if it's bad news' situations. Lord knows we've all been THERE enough recently.

I'm glad that someone asked about this! Does anyone know if we will receive an email whether we match or not?? I'd hate to have one of those 'you get an email if it's good news, but you'll be left hanging for longer than everyone else if it's bad news' situations. Lord knows we've all been THERE enough recently.

From what I read in last year's thread, everyone will receive an email (regardless of if you matched or not). The subject line does not give away where you matched and does not give away whether or not you matched. So in order to know whether you matched and where you matched, you have to open the email. If I remember the information correct from what I read in last year's thread, the results will be bolded in the email.

From what I read in last year's thread, everyone will receive an email (regardless of if you matched or not). The subject line does not give away where you matched and does not give away whether or not you matched. So in order to know whether you matched and where you matched, you have to open the email. If I remember the information correct from what I read in last year's thread, the results will be bolded in the email.

Thanks so much! It definitely eases my anxiety a bit knowing what to expect. Glad we're all in this together.

Thanks so much! It definitely eases my anxiety a bit knowing what to expect. Glad we're all in this together.

Yes I agree, I'm glad we are all in this together!

The question remains... If you don't match, do you receive that information after everyone else heard that they matched (i.e. closer to 9am) or are match results distributed by applicant ID number or some other system?

I'm not sure if Phase 1 and Phase 2 are different, but I didn't match in Phase 2 last year (I didn't rank any sites in Phase 1) and I received an email letting me know that I didn't match at 5:50am PST.

my sister convinced me to go to a 5am workout class with her tomorrow in a new style i've never tried. I am a self conscious person when it comes to group fitness classes so this is perfect! I have something else to worry about tonight instead of the match! lol

Reactions: 4 users
Yes I agree, I'm glad we are all in this together!

The question remains... If you don't match, do you receive that information after everyone else heard that they matched (i.e. closer to 9am) or are match results distributed by applicant ID number or some other system?
Didn’t match last year. My email came in about the same time as my friends who did match.

I don’t know why but this comment made my tummy do flippy-floppies!

Don’t feel bad! I went through this cohortless too simply because my cohort, well, sucks. They make things too competitive. But this site feels like a cohort in and of itself haha

Don’t feel bad! I went through this cohortless too simply because my cohort, well, sucks. They make things too competitive. But this site feels like a cohort in and of itself haha

Same, my cohort is super competitive and we were all silent whenever the topic of internship came up. Sometimes just being disconnected from that tension is much better.

I totally get that I also feel cohortless! my cohort is really small and I am the only person applying for appic this year! there's only 2 others in my program going through the match- one who is a year above me and who has been a good resource but not a close friend or anything, and then someone else who lives in another state who I have never spoken to. so it's been so nice to have the forum!

Me three. My whole cohort applied last year, i took extra time for dissertation and to have a baby and now I’m totally disconnected from almost everyone from my program who applied, except one person who is nice and texts me through the process. I don’t even know how people ranked places... it’s really sad being the only person left over from a cohort. In our clinic we have a section with everyones flash drives organized by year and mine is just hanging depressingly alone in the “beyond” category lol

It's so fascinating to me to hear about different cohort dynamics. I got really lucky with a great and supportive cohort and I think a big part of that was from some pretty intentional efforts on the part of a few people, but the one coming after us had a lot of weird tension. It seems like it was really a crapshoot of personality, chemistry, but also some intentional culture/norm building stuff. Could be a whole damn dissertation topic in itself.

It's so fascinating to me to hear about different cohort dynamics. I got really lucky with a great and supportive cohort and I think a big part of that was from some pretty intentional efforts on the part of a few people, but the one coming after us had a lot of weird tension. It seems like it was really a crapshoot of personality, chemistry, but also some intentional culture/norm building stuff. Could be a whole damn dissertation topic in itself.
It really is fascinating and someone should definitely study it. My cohort pretends to be supportive on the surface but there are cliques and everyone just talks about and truly hates one another. I was in one of those cliques in the beginning and it was just really toxic. Any negative professional news about someone spreads like wildfire and they eat it up because they want everyone to fail I guess? I was naive coming into grad school thinking we're all going to be psychologists so these will be some of the most supportive, empathetic people I've ever met in my life... Wrong haha

It really is fascinating and someone should definitely study it. My cohort pretends to be supportive on the surface but there are cliques and everyone just talks about and truly hates one another. I was in one of those cliques in the beginning and it was just really toxic. Any negative professional news about someone spreads like wildfire and they eat it up because they want everyone to fail I guess? I was naive coming into grad school thinking we're all going to be psychologists so these will be some of the most supportive, empathetic people I've ever met in my life... Wrong haha
Damn that is depressing as hell to hear. I wonder how much of that kind of thing has to do with larger cultural norms of different institutions, like if places tend to be more research focused, etc.

I'm reflecting on some of the formative experiences for my own cohort that ended up being extremely supportive and non-competitive, and I remember one of our early classes in neuro (perhaps our worst taught class) where we got a test back with grades like "Good job!" "Excellent Work!" and "Well Done!" A couple people were really upset because they didn't understand what those grades even meant, and were quibbling with the professor to try to get letter grades for what must of been fifteen minutes. A few of us just started cracking up laughing about the absurdity of the whole thing, because: who freaking cares dude. I feel like that might have set a tone down the line and it was helpful to have an absolutely ridiculous professor with a truly nonsensical system and total unwillingness to explain herself to highlight that dynamic and resolve those contradictions - so idk, maybe that's the solution: make sure every institution has at least one ridiculous ass professor.

Damn that is depressing as hell to hear. I wonder how much of that kind of thing has to do with larger cultural norms of different institutions, like if places tend to be more research focused, etc.

I'm reflecting on some of the formative experiences for my own cohort that ended up being extremely supportive and non-competitive, and I remember one of our early classes in neuro (perhaps our worst taught class) where we got a test back with grades like "Good job!" "Excellent Work!" and "Well Done!" A couple people were really upset because they didn't understand what those grades even meant, and were quibbling with the professor to try to get letter grades for what must of been fifteen minutes. A few of us just started cracking up laughing about the absurdity of the whole thing, because: who freaking cares dude. I feel like that might have set a tone down the line and it was helpful to have an absolutely ridiculous professor with a truly nonsensical system and total unwillingness to explain herself to highlight that dynamic and resolve those contradictions - so idk, maybe that's the solution: make sure every institution has at least one ridiculous ass professor.

I had an experience like that too! My first year stats sequence was taught by someone who would essentially just stand in front of the room and babble nonsense each week...he was so incredibly repetitive and talked about useless things and it was truly a bonding experience for my cohort.

My cohort has both. Broadly speaking, it's incredibly competitive and definitely has a dog eat dog vibe. From what I've read/heard this is extremely common in virtually all post-graduate programs, whether it be psychology, medicine, law, dentistry etc.. But on a micro level, within the smaller friend-groups, it is very supportive and a great outlet to be able to talk to people who are going through the same process that you are when virtually nobody else in your life (outside of your program) understands.

I hope everyone is hanging in there in these final hours!

Reactions: 6 users
I am bouncing off the walls with anxiety, to be honest, haha. We'll see how much sleep I actually get Thursday night. Sending out good vibes to everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
I am bouncing off the walls with anxiety, to be honest, haha. We'll see how much sleep I actually get Thursday night. Sending out good vibes to everyone!

Haha right there with you... Concentration and productivity levels have dropped to practically nonexistent at this point.

It’s my birthday tomorrow and I’m holding off any plans until Saturday

Aww, man - happy birthday psydstudent2020! I don’t know where you are but I’d definitely treat you to a birthday cocktail tomorrow night if we are in the same area!

Aww, man - happy birthday psydstudent2020! I don’t know where you are but I’d definitely treat you to a birthday cocktail tomorrow night if we are in the same area!

Aw thanks! I would love to meet the people on here who have been so helpful and supportive throughout this process. If a bunch of us were in the same area it would be cool to do a group hang! PM me so I can tell you where I live because idk how to haha

I’ve made a list of the benefits of going into phase II. I’ve also made a list of the benefits of each and very site that I ranked. I shall be prepared for any outcome! (Lol)

Reactions: 6 users