APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know someone who got an interview at VUMC-IPP for the child track - but who knows if that means anything. The lack of uniform notifications even within the same dang site are taking years off my life lol.
Lol no kidding. Thanks! That's *super* helpful to know! Given that, I'll officially move this one into my "technically still possible but deeply unlikely" pile :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Lol no kidding. Thanks! That's *super* helpful to know! Given that, I'll officially move this one into my "technically still possible but deeply unlikely" pile :)
Ugh, I HATE that pile!

We've got this, everyone! Worst case scenario, at least we now all have access to a bunch of psychologists to treat us for whatever clinically significant disorder we end up developing!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I didn't know that was a San Diego thing LOL Too bad I don't like sweets as I would cheers to you with a twinkie. But hey the tamales were bomb...I did make them LOL

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
speaking of twinkies and tamales etc etc...... anyone else gaining hella weight?

trying to be body positive, and loving and compassionate to myself, but y'all know it's difficult, especially during this stressful period.
Yes!!!! Doesn’t help that it is also the holiday season and there are cookies and pies everywhere.

Reactions: 1 users
For those who heard back from Rogers Behavioral Health today, did anyone apply to the Anxiety/OCD track? Or did you apply for the child track? Just wondering, it’s been radio silence over here :) thanks guys!
I applied to the Day Treatment Track (forgot to specify that in my post)

Official Site Name: LIJ-Zucker Hillside Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 12/2
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult
Offered Interview Dates: 12/12, 12/16

Hello fellow refreshers. I hope your Monday was filled with good notifications and not just endless Cyber Monday ads.

Here are the DMs from today.
*Please note the sites listed below were sent to me to post by users who wish to remain anonymous and are not my invite/rejections/information:

Official Site Name: El Paso VA Healthcare System
Date Invitation Received: 12/2/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 1/10, 1/17, or 1/24. Telephone/video interview or in-person

Official Site Name: Metropolitan Detention Center - Los Angeles (MDC-LA)
Date Invitation Received: 11/12
Met
hod of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Offered Interview Dates: Pending USAJobs application
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: My dog, Disney+, Jane Austen, and a lot of positive self-talk

Official Site Name: Pace University Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received: 12/1
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Offered Interview Dates: 12/16, 12/17, 1/6, 1/7
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: not staying sane, fully insane

Official Site Name: LIJ-Zucker Hillside Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 12/2
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult
Offered Interview Dates: 12/12, 12/16

I'm still waiting on these folks too...

• Haha
Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard from Ann Arbor VA for anything other than Womens Health? I applied to multiple tracks there because i had sincere interest in three of them and have heard nothing.

Official Site Name: Miami VA
Date Invitation Received: 12/3
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Nueropsychology
Offered Interview Dates: 1/17; 1/23; 1/24
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane
: cherishing the fact that I defend my project today! wish me luck gang

Reactions: 7 users
Any thoughts on how long to wait to email a site after their notification deadline has passed and you have not heard back from them? I believe people in past threads have suggested you can reach out the day after this deadline, but that seems a bit soon to me. Thoughts?

Any thoughts on how long to wait to email a site after their notification deadline has passed and you have not heard back from them? I believe people in past threads have suggested you can reach out the day after this deadline, but that seems a bit soon to me. Thoughts?
Personally, I'm not planning to contact any of my sites regarding interview notification. If they want to interview me, they'll contact me. I'm sure they have enough on their plate and I think an email from an applicant could look anxious and needy, not a good sign if I'm still in the "maybe" pile. Just my opinion though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard from Ann Arbor VA for anything other than Womens Health? I applied to multiple tracks there because i had sincere interest in three of them and have heard nothing.

I heard from the Ann Arbor VA, but they did not specify what track I was being considered for in the email. I applied to multiple tracks, including Women's Mental Health.

Check spam! and/or quarantine if you use Office365.

Last edited:
Official Site Name: University of Central Florida
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): NA
Offered Interview Dates: 12/9-12/20
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: puppies, traveling, avoiding my dissertation

One of my program mates has an interview. I forgot what tracks she applied to though.

Personally, I'm not planning to contact any of my sites regarding interview notification. If they want to interview me, they'll contact me. I'm sure they have enough on their plate and I think an email from an applicant could look anxious and needy, not a good sign if I'm still in the "maybe" pile. Just my opinion though.

Makes sense to me. I’ll most likely refrain from reaching out, though it is tempting.

I totally agree with this statement. They will contact people they want to interview.

Reactions: 2 users
y'all, i just got an e-mail that my thesis was accepted for publication (after many revise and resubmits to this journal)- my CV is gonna be POPPIN' for phase ii :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: 30 users
Anyone hear from OU’s Health Consortium (university counseling center)? The deadline was yesterday but haven’t heard anything from them.

Feel free to email the day after their notification deadline has passed (as long as the date is consistent on APPIC and on their brochure/website - or use the later of the two dates) and you've checked your spam. In recent years, we actually had someone who's email was misspelled who was invited for an interview and I was contacted by her to inquire about her status. I'm sure we would've eventually realized this, but we appreciated her being proactive.

• Love
Phew, be sure to check your spam folders! Checked this morning and found this:

Official Site Name: West Palm Beach VA
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Offered Interview Dates: 1/13, 1/15, 1/22

• Wow
Check your Spam folder, if you haven't already. My email invitation from Ann Arbor went to Spam.

• Wow
I have a feeling there's a rejection from RMR VA coming today. I coincidentally received a spam call from the same area/area code this morning - almost seemed conspiratorial.

• Haha
Silence for over a week and it’s killing me slowly

Official Site Name: Wellspan Philhaven
Date Invitation Received: 12/2/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
Offered Interview Dates: Instructions were to call them to schedule

The director for neuropsychology at Denver Health viewed my LinkedIn profile yesterday...that kind of got me alerted lol.

Well that's a good sign, right? I did not apply to that site but it looks like a great one. I feel like there are probably sites out there that want to see what the internet has to say about applicants - especially social media and such.

• Haha
I saw a couple of rejections posted from Orlando VA... I applied there and havent heard anything. Anyone hear positive news from them yet!?

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Corporal Michael J. Crescenz VA in Philly? Apparently their interview notification date was yesterday and some have posted rejections and interview invites, but I haven't heard anything.

Is anyone else waiting to hear from Pacific Psychology and Comprehensive Clinics (in Portland), Hamm Clinic, or Napa State Hospital?

I saw a couple of rejections posted from Orlando VA... I applied there and havent heard anything. Anyone hear positive news from them yet!?

I wasn't the one to receive the invitation, but I have noted the following: Orlando VA Medical Center (12/02, Mass Email, General, 01/03, 01/10). If rejections have been posted, I would imagine that not hearing anything yet is a positive sign.

Idk...I am waiting for their neuro track to get back to me.
ah thanks. okay...hopefully (for both of us) only adult track applicants have heard thus far. fingers crossed :)

I was rejected yesterday. :) I'm sure others are reframing their rejections in more PC ways...but for me, I'm a bit more adventurous with my language ;)

Is anyone else waiting to hear from Pacific Psychology and Comprehensive Clinics (in Portland), Hamm Clinic, or Napa State Hospital?
I'm waiting on Napa State Hospital. I have that their notification deadline is 12/15 but it seems like anything goes this year! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Well that's a good sign, right? I did not apply to that site but it looks like a great one. I feel like there are probably sites out there that want to see what the internet has to say about applicants - especially social media and such.

I hope so. I remember when my husband applied for residency programs, a bunch of supervisors and current residents viewed his LinkedIn too. And he received invitations from all of them. He's amazing. He applied to 14 programs here locally and received 13 interviews. He had zero VA experience and got interviews at both VAs, and he ended up attending one VA for residency. He inspires me :p

Figured it was worth a shot.....

Has anyone heard from the Peds Neuro/Neuro Tracks at:
Children's Orange Country
Henry Ford
NYU Langone/Rusk
Northwell Health
Penn State Hershey
U Florida Health Science
U Tennessee Health Science

It's been reallllllly quiet over here.

Henry Ford
NYU Langone/Rusk
Northwell Health
Penn State Hershey
U Florida Health Science

I didn’t apply to any of those sites, but I feel your pain—still waiting to hear from 8 sites -_-

Reactions: 3 users
I saw some people got invites. I applied there too and have heard nothing. However, last year they sent invites in two batches. I cant remember how long between invites though. I think it was a week or two.

Henry Ford
NYU Langone/Rusk
Northwell Health
Penn State Hershey
U Florida Health Science

I'm waiting on Children's Orange County, Henry Ford, Penn State and U Tennessee, so thanks for posting, this gives me a little hope:)
It looks like Henry Ford sent out Ped Psych invitations, so I wasn't sure whether to hold out hope for the neuro track, but maybe the two tracks have very different timelines for invitations?

Official Site Name: Superior Court of the District of Columbia - Child Guidance Clinic
Date Invitation Received: 12/3/19
Offered Interview Dates: offered 1/13, 1/14, 1/15, 1/21, 1/22, & 1/27

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Someone in my cohort received an interview invite from Orlando VA. Hoping for good news for you!

Check your Spam folder, if you haven't already. My email invitation from Ann Arbor went to Spam.
I checked and theres nothing there. Im just assuming they are a rejection. I dont feel too bad, Ive got one rejection and four interviews. I only applied to 9 (though multiple tracks so i really applied to 13). However, they were my top so im a bit disappointed but im also trying to remind myself that i will end up where ever i am supposed to be! Good luck to all :)

Has anyone heard from the University of Kansas Medical Center - comprehensive track, and Aurora Mental Health Center yet?
You may want to reach out to them. I got an email yesterday that said they had emailed me a week ago but I never saw it and it wasn't in my spam folder.

You may want to reach out to them. I got an email yesterday that said they had emailed me a week ago but I never saw it and it wasn't in my spam folder.
Thank you for the response!! Do you mean both of centers or one of them? Could you please clarify it for me? Thanks!!