APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the response!! Do you mean both of centers or one of them? Could you please clarify it for me? Thanks!!
I'm sorry, I meant Kansas.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard from University of North Carolina School of Medicine?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am waiting on them too. Last year they sent out invites on Nov 14th... I applied to Women's health track

Reactions: 1 users
Official Site Name: Superior Court of the District of Columbia - Child Guidance Clinic
Date Invitation Received: 12/3/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: offered 1/13, 1/14, 1/15, 1/21, 1/22, & 1/27
Congrats!!! I applied here and didn't hear anything :( It looks like an awesome site though

Nope, I know a few people that applied but none have heard. Definitely seems late this year!

Official Site Name:
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Offered Interview Dates: January 6, 10, 13, 17
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: At this point I am not sane at all... I am embracing the insanity

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Congrats!!! I applied here and didn't hear anything :( It looks like an awesome site though

Thank you!! All the east coast sites I applied to are coming through, now I just need the west coast sites to cooperate.

Idk what's worse, out right rejections or hearing nothing at all. Hang in there!!

Thank you!! All the east coast sites I applied to are coming through, now I just need the west coast sites to cooperate.

Idk what's worse, out right rejections or hearing nothing at all. Hang in there!!

Thanks! I'm doing okay, but hoping for some good news today!

• Love
Have y'all's DCTs said what they think is a good number of interviews to get for good odds at matching? Mine said 7 as a minimum, but I'm curious what other people are being told.

Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Pilgrim Psychiatric Center
Offered Interview Dates: Email time available between 12/10/19 and 1/24/20

Reactions: 4 users
Have y'all's DCTs said what they think is a good number of interviews to get for good odds at matching? Mine said 7 as a minimum, but I'm curious what other people are being told.
8E97B63F-48FB-4B51-B515-53F037736BB5.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I have heard 7 is solid number as well!

Our DCT didnt say an exact number, just that we need to apply to 12 to 15 sites (seperate tracks are included as "sites"). Apparently the research is that there is no return on applying to more than 15 and you expect to be interviewed by about half. However, i think its highly dependent. For example, i applied to one site for two tracks and they are interviewing me for both but only in one interview. So is that one or two interviews? Theres just so many variables. I know people in my program that applied to 5 or 6, got 3 or 4 interviews and matched in phase I. I also know people who applied to 20 and had 10 interviews and went to phase 2. I would say 4 interviews where you are an extremely strong candidate and have a strong interest is better than 7 interviews that are luke warm. Thats just my opinion. I hope it goes good for you!

These data are only reported up to 2016, but see the APPIC Applicant Survey Part 2 results, e.g.,:

Number of interview offers received:

1 to 2 interviews Match rate = 60% n = 236
3 to 4 interviews Match rate = 83% n = 392
5 to 6 interviews Match rate = 90% n = 451
7 to 8 interviews Match rate = 95% n = 455
9 to 10 interviews Match rate = 99% n = 368
11 or more interviews Match rate = 99% n = 495

Official Site Name: University of Akron’s Counseling and Testing Center
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): University Counseling Center
Offered Interview Dates: Interview in person or through video, various dates (flexible on finding time that works for interviewee)

Official Site Name: University Health & Counseling Services’ Psychology at Case Western Reserve University
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): University Counseling Center
Offered Interview Dates: video interview available between 1/6/20 and 1/10/20

Figured it was worth a shot.....

Has anyone heard from the Peds Neuro/Neuro Tracks at:
Children's Orange Country
Henry Ford
NYU Langone/Rusk
Northwell Health
Penn State Hershey
U Florida Health Science
U Tennessee Health Science

It's been reallllllly quiet over here.

Still also waiting to hear from NYU, Henry Ford Neuro, and Penn State Hershey. I think most of these sites will send out interview notifications next week, but who knows.

Anyone heard from Texas A&M CAPS or Oregon State? I am waiting to hear from 12 sites and already have 6 rejections...this process is confidence crushing.

Has anyone heard from University of Massachusetts? It's past their notification deadline, not that that means anything -__-

I feel you! I'm waiting on 17 :-( I feel like they will all come in within a 2 or 3 day period and I'm not spiritually ready for this haha
I'm relieved not to be the only one waiting on double digits of interviews! The next two weeks are going to be so angsty!

I'm relieved not to be the only one waiting on double digits of interviews! The next two weeks are going to be so angsty!
I'm in the same boat! Hard to tell if it is a good thing or the calm before the storm

Feel free to email the day after their notification deadline has passed (as long as the date is consistent on APPIC and on their brochure/website - or use the later of the two dates) and you've checked your spam. In recent years, we actually had someone who's email was misspelled who was invited for an interview and I was contacted by her to inquire about her status. I'm sure we would've eventually realized this, but we appreciated her being proactive.

Thanks for offering your thoughts on this. Wow! What a wild story. I may have to ponder this further

Official Site Name: Penn State University, Center for Counseling and Psychological Services
Offered Interview Dates: December 18th, December 20th and through the first several weeks of January

Reactions: 3 users
USC CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL LOS ANGELES: "Due to some technical difficulties, we had to extend our review period for internship applications. Please expect an update on the status of your application by the end of this week. We apologize for the delay."

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 3 users
USC CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL LOS ANGELES: "Due to some technical difficulties, we had to extend our review period for internship applications. Please expect an update on the status of your application by the end of this week. We apologize for the delay."
I got the same email.

Official Site Name: CU Boulder CAPS
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Email
Offered Interview Dates: January 2-10

Anyone heard from Texas A&M CAPS or Oregon State? I am waiting to hear from 12 sites and already have 6 rejections...this process is confidence crushing.

I was emailed an invite to Oregon State CAPS yesterday with interviews between December 5 and 20th. They did ask us to let them know by Dec 4th if we won't be able to interview, so it seems like they may send more invitations later on. Good luck!

I got this email too. The "technical difficulty" was Thanksgiving

• Haha
I haven't heard from Danielsen yet either. Not holding my breath for tomorrow . . .
I don’t think it’s a good sign if we haven't heard yet and deadline is tomorrow. Also, it is an extremely long shot for me. But I just want to hear back and move on.

Official Site Name: Montana VA
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Offered Interview Dates: January 9,10

Official Site Name:
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine

Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Offered Interview Dates: January 6, 10, 13, 17
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: At this point I am not sane at all... I am embracing the insanity

AHHH CONGRATULATIONS! I am so (jealous) excited for you! This is my #1 site on paper...Is Northwestern-Feinberg known for extending interview invites exclusively via phone calls? If so, do they do so throughout the week?

Has anyone heard from University of Massachusetts? It's past their notification deadline, not that that means anything -__-
I know someone who got an interview there. I still have not heard back either from them. Likely a rejection!

• Sad
  • Angry
I know someone who got an interview there. I still have not heard back either from them. Likely a rejection!
Bummer but par for the course! Guess I have a lot of time to prep for round 2

Anyone hear from Patton yet? They notified on the 30th of November last year.

Anyone still has not heard yet from Nicklaus Children's Hospital or North Bronx Healthcare Network: Jacobi Medical Center (not the North Central Bronx Hospital location)?

Official Site Name: Montana VA
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Offered Interview Dates: January 9,10
Congrats! I also received an invite from here :)

Recent Rejections: Western Psychiatric Institute (Dec 2) & Children’s Hospital of Colorado (11/26)

Official Site Name: Northwestern Medicine - Clinical Psychology Internship
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone Call
Offered Interview Dates: 1/6, 1/10, 1/13

Official site name: Princeton House Behavioral Health
Date Invitation Received: 11/27
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Eating Disorders
Offered Interview Dates: 1/6

AHHH CONGRATULATIONS! I am so (jealous) excited for you! This is my #1 site on paper...Is Northwestern-Feinberg known for extending interview invites exclusively via phone calls? If so, do they do so throughout the week?
I am not sure. You can look through last year's thread and see if people posted on different days. I wouldn't give up though until you receive a rejection.