APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I emailed the director, and she told me that the notification date should be Dec 10. I received a rejection. Best wishes to you!
Same.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok guys I know the notification deadline hasn't passed for these sites but I wanted to see if anyone has heard anything (acceptances or rejections) because they aren't very talked about sites on the forum:

Richard Donovan Corrections
Northern California Department of Corrections
Napa State Hospital
Florida Department of Corrections
Marin County STAR Mental Health Court Track
South Florida State Hospital
California Medical Facility - Vacaville
FCI - Terminal Island
Los Angeles County Internship in Corrections

I am waiting on Napa State Hospital. Received a letter in the mail of passing my examination as a clinical psychology intern. I only submitted the employment form that was required by the application. Hoping this is good news idk.

I do. I am really excited tho. After receiving invites in the first week or so of this notification period then receiving rejections from 17 sites (all VAs), it has been discouraging. Then...finally getting 3 invites in one week, one being a VA...my spirits have been lifted. In total, I have 4 places to interview at, and one I am able to rank without interview. I am still waiting on 11 more sites to hear back from. One site in NYC invited me and will also be a vacation for my husband and I. We will spend 4 days there...tour around, etc. However, the cost is something I am keeping an eye on too. I have found some good airfare prices (Frontier has a roundtrip ticket to NYC for $75).
I know the cost of traveling can be overwhelming but I used to live in NYC and I highly advise against using Frontier especially when there could be snow or other travel altering weather involved. In my experience out of the NYC area airports they are horrible about cancelations and delays and I would hate to see someone miss an interview because of a horrid airline!

Reactions: 2 users
I know the cost of traveling can be overwhelming but I used to live in NYC and I highly advise against using Frontier especially when there could be snow or other travel altering weather involved. In my experience out of the NYC area airports they are horrible about cancelations and delays and I would hate to see someone miss an interview because of a horrid airline!

I’ll piggyback on this to add that Frontier only flies into LaGuardia which is a complete s***show these days...even more than the usual because of construction. It once took me 2.5 hrs to simply get a cab/uber to pick me up from there once because of all the backed up traffic.

Does anyone have any info on the Massachusetts Mental Health Center, specifically the quality of training and program experience?

Rejection from UNC School of Medicine today.

• Sad
Has anyone heard from Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health in Canton, OH?

My friend received an interview notification email late last night from this site. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
To piggy back on this - anyone heard from Pacific Psychology and Comprehensive Health?

Not yet but their notification date is tomorrow. Good luck!! Fingers crossed.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I don't understand why the sites who have already sent out interviews just don't send rejections to other applicants. What's this waiting for? LOL
After the interviews, it takes probably at least a week for the site to coordinate interviewees and dates. I imagine some sites want to confirm that everybody they invited are able to interview before they reject the rest of the applicants.

Thank you. I don't understand why the sites who have already sent out interviews just don't send rejections to other applicants. What's this waiting for? LOL

seriously. Feeling very unimpressed by sites whose notification deadline has passed with no notification.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Thanks for the heads up! Do you recommend another airline?

One airline I would recommend is southwest. They don’t always fly everywhere and sometimes their prices may be a little higher, BUT if you ever have to cancel or change a flight, you don’t lose your money. You just put it towards your new ticket or another trip. So even though you don’t get a direct refund, you don’t lose money and you can still use it. Which is nice for this situation where sometimes you’re booking and then re-booking /changing things.
Southwest is also great because you don't have to pay to check bags (up to 2 bags).

We should all discuss pro/cons of airlines to get our minds off of site rejections/invites!!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone heard from VA Portland or VA Pacific Islands?
I think VA Portland has a 12/15 notification date. I would assume (but don't know for sure) that they just send out all invites and rejects on the same day since they do an open house instead of scheduling multiple interview days.

I think Southwest is great for short flights between big cities, but I've not had great luck with them on longer cross-country flights.

I pretty much always fly Delta (more dependable) or American (more comfortable planes for long hauls) depending on where I'm flying to/from. I highly recommend AGAINST Frontier and Spirit. Every time I take Spirit, my flight is delayed by at least 12 hours (and often more than 24 hours), which (for me) negates the benefit of what seemed like a low-cost ticket.

Also, I've heard it's best to do carry-on only on the way to interviews so you don't have to worry about airports or airlines losing your luggage. However, if you're a checked-bag kind of person, some airlines will often let you check bags plane-side before boarding for free, so you can know that the bags actually make the flight. I also recommend getting airline (or hotel)credit card(s). They may still waive annual credit card fees for the first year, and with new cardmember promotions and all the internship and holiday expenses, you can probably acquire enough miles for at least one free flight/vacation. On Delta and American, credit card members get free checked bag, early boarding, in-flight discounts, etc.

We should all discuss pro/cons of airlines to get our minds off of site rejections/invites!!

I agree with previous posts that budget airlines (e.g., Frontier, Spirit, Allegiant) are not the best use of one's money. They have frequent delays and these delays are often long (see chart below). JetBlue argues that its delays are more frequent because a larger proportion of its flights happen in the Northeast corridor, which is "congested", compared to other airlines. (Here's an analysis of the Department of Transportation statistics - This Chart Shows Which Airline Is the WORST When It Comes to Delays and here are the data: https://www.transtats.bts.gov/OT_Delay/OT_DelayCause1.asp).

Personally, I wouldn't say I'd recommend any specific non-budget airline for this sort of situation. Whatever is least expensive and has the fewest connections is likely best.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 7.31.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 7.31.59 AM.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: 4 users
Great way to start the week!!! :)

Official Site Name: Stony Brook University CAPS
Date Invitation Received: 12/9/2019
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Offered Interview Dates: in person interviews the second and third weeks of January
If & How you're staying sane: netflix

Reactions: 7 users
Southwest is also great because you don't have to pay to check bags (up to 2 bags).
I think the 2 checked bags looks enticing but I can get a more reasonably priced flight on American and Delta, pay for a bag, and still be under the price tag of a Southwest flight. They also have more direct flights than Southwest in my opinion especially American. I would definitely agree with the carry on comment unless you have a long string of interviews back to back and need to pack more.

I definitely agree with the comments about Frontier and Spirit. I only fly those airlines when I’m not on a time crunch. Another downside is that they usually only have one departing flight every day or every two days. If they have to cancel the flight, there is usually not another flight going out any time soon. American and Delta will. So will Southwest.

3 of my peers and myself are waiting on UNC clinical peds - has anyone heard?
I know child-community, TEACCH, and womens have heard.

Official Site Name: FMC Fort Worth
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Offered Interview Dates: 1/7, 1/8, 1/22, 1/23, 1/28, 1/29, 1/30

Reactions: 3 users
Rejection from children’s mercy Kansas City. Emailed to find out my status and they sent me an official looking rejection, so they may be sending the rest now.

• Sad
Rejection from Texas State and Univerity of Houston-Clear Lake, at least my week can only look up from here on out :p

• Sad
Official Site Name: Community Reach Center
Date Invitation Received: 12/9
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Offered Interview Dates: 1/6, 1/13, 1/22
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Painting & playing piano

Official Site Name: James Madison University CAPS (had a preliminary phone interview 4 weeks ago, now offered in person)
Date Invitation Received: 12/9/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal call from Training Director
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): eating disorders track
Offered Interview Dates: in person interviews January 3rd, 6th, and 8th
If & How you're staying sane: netflix

Mass email rejection from Yale Child Study Center Trauma and Children Track - 12/9.

• Sad
Official Site Name: MDC-LA
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Offered Interview Dates: 1/14, 1/15, 1/16, 1/21, 1/22, 1/23
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: At this point... I'm not! But Frasier on Netflix is helping ;-)

Last edited:
I agree with previous posts that budget airlines (e.g., Frontier, Spirit, Allegiant) are not the best use of one's money. They have frequent delays and these delays are often long (see chart below). JetBlue argues that its delays are more frequent because a larger proportion of its flights happen in the Northeast corridor, which is "congested", compared to other airlines. (Here's an analysis of the Department of Transportation statistics - This Chart Shows Which Airline Is the WORST When It Comes to Delays and here are the data: https://www.transtats.bts.gov/OT_Delay/OT_DelayCause1.asp).

Personally, I wouldn't say I'd recommend any specific non-budget airline for this sort of situation. Whatever is least expensive and has the fewest connections is likely best.

I'd second that recommendation. When it comes to traveling, for me, connections drain me more than anything else, including delays.

And speaking of delays, the chart you posted mimics my anecdotal experience: American and United (more so the former) have been worse with delays overall than Delta. I've also just enjoyed the Delta flights more as a whole. Although region and airport(s) may play into all that.

I used to love AirTran and was bummed when they were acquired by Southwest.

Can someone give a definition of "accredited on contingency" status? Cleveland Clinic is a newer program and still missing outcome data to receive accredited status. Will this hurt me to complete my internship at this site? My DCT is unsure as well.

I also prefer Delta due to past experiences and rarely being delayed through that airline. However, I did fly Southwest during interview season for their generous rescheduling policy. I did have to reschedule one flight and it was good not to have to eat that cost. Several interviews were also drivable (<8 hours drive time), so that helped too.

Can someone give a definition of "accredited on contingency" status? Cleveland Clinic is a newer program and still missing outcome data to receive accredited status. Will this hurt me to complete my internship at this site? My DCT is unsure as well.
Accredited on Contingency is still APA accredited. Go ahead and apply!

I have discovered a new anxiety: waiting for a site to confirm your interview selection date. This whole waiting game is not fun.

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users

Generally speaking, accredited on contingency is just fine. Usually, it's a newer program that just needs it's initial round of data to submit to APA for full accreditation. Generally, they would not get this status, unless they were already meeting requirements for accreditation.

My DCT explained it as essentially accredited. If you attend an "accredited on contingency" program and they keep this status the whole time you are there you are good; however, if they have a follow up visit scheduled while you are in the program and they lose this status rather than being granted full accreditation it will not count as completing an accredited program. Based on how it was explained to me it seems to come down to timing, if they have the follow up visit while you are there and they lose the status its not good for you but if the follow up is after you would be done with the program you are in the clear entirely. ***(This is completely based on what I have been told by my DCT so you may want to follow up with the APA website for official clarification.)

Official Site Name: UT Health San Antonio
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Forensic
Offered Interview Dates: 1/27, 1/31

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

I've been aware of several programs with the "accredited on contingency" label due to being a new program, all of them moved to full accreditation.

Have you heard from them about interviews?