APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Official Site Name: UT Health San Antonio
Date Invitation Received: 12/9/2019
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Forensic
Offered Interview Dates: 1/27, 1/31
Hopefully the CBT and Health Tracks will notify soon as well!

Reactions: 1 user
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Forensic
Offered Interview Dates: 1/27, 1/31
Omg I hope i hear from them today!!! Ahhhh!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Atlanta VA
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 1/13, 1/14, 1/15, 1/16
If & How you're staying sane: Prayers

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Official Site Name: Bay Pines VA Healthcare System
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Offered Interview Dates: 1/9 and 1/16 (telephone interviews available)

• Love
Official Site Name: Denver Health
Date Invitation Received: 12/05/2019
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Integrated Health
Offered Interview Dates: 1/8, 1/22
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Keeping busy with work?

Reactions: 1 users
Official Site Name: West Virginia University Carruth Center for Psychological and Psychiatric Services (CCPPS)
Date Invitation Received: 12/6/2019
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 1/3-1/9 (conducted via zoom)

I'd second that recommendation. When it comes to traveling, for me, connections drain me more than anything else, including delays.

And speaking of delays, the chart you posted mimics my anecdotal experience: American and United (more so the former) have been worse with delays overall than Delta. I've also just enjoyed the Delta flights more as a whole. Although region and airport(s) may play into all that.

I used to love AirTran and was bummed when they were acquired by Southwest.

I think region/airport plays into it a lot. I have had generally good luck flying American in and out of LA, Chicago, DC, and other big cities, but layovers in Charlotte for smaller older-plane flights to regional or rural airports are almost always delayed (in my experience).

Delta has really improved over the past decade. I've had few flight delays and zero lost bags in recent years.

Alaska Airlines seems great, just wish they flew to more cities.

Official Site Name: Boston Children’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School

Date Invitation Received: 12/9/19

Method of invitation (phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email

Specialty track or site (e.g. for consortiums): N/A

Offered Interview Dates: 12/20, 1/3, 1/6, 1/10, 1/16, 1/24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I have received several interviews in the last week from sites that are offering multiple dates and time. A couple set the date selection cut off for 12/20. I chose not to reply right away so that I could look at my schedule and try to coordinate my interview dates and locations. In the interim I've received another notification requesting I send back my selection as soon as possible. I feel pressured to choose a date and want to avoid having to reschedule or cancel. It is unprofessional to hold off on replying with my date selection until closer to the cut off?

Last edited:
Anyone heard from National Psychology Training Consortium, Central Region? They were suppose to notify today, but they extended their deadline so I am not sure if it was pushed back.

I have discovered a new anxiety: waiting for a site to confirm your interview selection date. This whole waiting game is not fun.
I'm with you on this one. It's especially hard when there are typos (wrong dates) in the interview confirmation emails. Or when getting one of those first-come invitations for dates that are still being negotiated but not quite confirmed with another site.

I have received several interviews in the last week from sites that are offering multiple dates and time. A couple set the date selection cut off for 12/20. I chose not to reply right away so that I could look at my schedule and try to coordinate my interview dates and locations. In the interim I've received another notification requesting I send back my selection as soon as possible. I feel pressured to choose a date and want to avoid having to reschedule or cancel. It is unprofessional to hold off on replying with my date selection until closer to the cut off?

I have had the experience of deciding not to initially reply only to find out that most dates have already been taken when I do answer. So, moving forward, I have opted for replying promptly. Not sure if this helps. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

Method of invitation (phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email

Got this invite as well (right before going into a testing session with a kiddo so I had to pull it together and act like I wasn't about to cry happy tears, haha)! Congratulations!

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
I have received several interviews in the last week from sites that are offering multiple dates and time. A couple set the date selection cut off for 12/20. I chose not to reply right away so that I could look at my schedule and try to coordinate my interview dates and locations. In the interim I've received another notification requesting I send back my selection as soon as possible. I feel pressured to choose a date and want to avoid having to reschedule or cancel. It is unprofessional to hold off on replying with my date selection until the cut off?

In my experience, almost all applicants respond with their date preferences the same day as the invitation is sent. Usually the other few that are lingering respond the next day. Our site has a limited number of applicants we can interview each day, and so those that respond later may not get their preference for dates. For me, because our spots are limited, it could signal a problem/red flag if someone doesn't respond to an invitation. However, your sites may be different if they can accommodate an unlimited number on each date. If they also have limited capacity, it is likely that you will have a limited selection once you respond. Typically applicants will look to see if their sites listed interview dates on APPIC or in their brochure and try to coordinate schedules based on those dates. Because they followed up with you to choose a date, I think it would be in your best interest to reply quickly.

In my experience, almost all applicants respond with their date preferences the same day as the invitation is sent. Usually the other few that are lingering respond the next day. Our site has a limited number of applicants we can interview each day, and so those that respond later may not get their preference for dates. For me, because our spots are limited, it could signal a problem/red flag if someone doesn't respond to an invitation. However, your sites may be different if they can accommodate an unlimited number on each date. If they also have limited capacity, it is likely that you will have a limited selection once you respond. Typically applicants will look to see if their sites listed interview dates on APPIC or in their brochure and try to coordinate schedules based on those dates. Because they followed up with you to choose a date, I think it would be in your best interest to reply quickly.
thank you!

I have received several interviews in the last week from sites that are offering multiple dates and time. A couple, set the date selection cut off for 12/20. I chose not to reply right away so that I could look at my schedule and try to coordinate my interview dates and locations. In the interim I've received another notification requesting I send back my selection as soon as possible. I feel pressured to choose a date and want to avoid having to reschedule or cancel. It is unprofessional to hold off on replying with my date selection until the cut off?
I'm not sure about your sites, but a lot of mine have implied that we're more likely to get our choice of dates the sooner we let them know our availability. I've replied ASAP (knowing that it might affect future invites), but it's getting harder and harder to schedule. I'm not sure what the best strategy is. However, I would at least respond to let them know you are interested and that you're trying to coordinate dates.

Official Site Name: Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo
Method of invitation (phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass mail
Offered Interview Dates: 1/8, 1/15, 1/22, 1/29

Last edited:

This approach has really helped me. Most of my sites had their interview dates posted (APPIC, brochure, or both). For those that did not, they at least noted a general timeframe and I corroborated this with dates posted on last year's thread. With this information, I have a spreadsheet that tells me, at any given time, what date I should select in the event that a site sends me an invitation. I continue to update this list to reflect my availability. This may not render one impervious to overlapping interviews, but I believe it helps reduce the risk.

Official Site Name: Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo

I got the same interview but dates offered are: 1/8, 1/15, 1/22, 1/29

Specialty track or site (e.g. for consortiums): CBT
Offered Interview Dates: 1/13, 1/24, 1/27, 1/31

Have people heard good things about this site?

I got the same interview but dates offered are: 1/8, 1/15, 1/22, 1/29
Sorry, had copy and pasted the format from someone else's interview offer! Yes, those are the correct dates - just edited my post.

Can someone give a definition of "accredited on contingency" status? Cleveland Clinic is a newer program and still missing outcome data to receive accredited status. Will this hurt me to complete my internship at this site? My DCT is unsure as well.
I was just trying to figure this out yesterday and this page from APA was very helpful! Decoding Intent to Apply, “Accredited, on Contingency,” and Full Accreditation
Basically, accredited is accredited, whether the program is "on contingency" or fully accredited.

Specialty track or site (e.g. for consortiums): CBT
Offered Interview Dates: 1/13, 1/24, 1/27, 1/31

Have people heard good things about this site?
One of the graduates from my program is director of one of the rotations!

Someone in my program interviewed there for CBT and Forensic and LOVED it.

Did you only apply to that one track?
Yeah only CBT, although they did say in the email that if I had applied to other tracks to please let them know during the interview so that they could tell me more,,.

One of the graduates from my program is director of one of the rotations!

Someone in my program interviewed there for CBT and Forensic and LOVED it.
Good to know, thank you! Was that last year or have they already started interviewing?

I was initially a little sketched out by the very quick offer to interview as I only applied last night (#procrastination) but that is reassuring!

Method of invitation (phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Offered Interview Dates: 1/13 - 1/16

Official Site Name: Salisbury VA
Offered Interview Dates: 1/6, 1/8, 1/10, 1/13, 1/15, 1/17 in-person or by phone

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Good to know, thank you! Was that last year or have they already started interviewing?

I was initially a little sketched out by the very quick offer to interview as I only applied last night (#procrastination) but that is reassuring!
The interview was last year.

Anyone heard from National Psychology Training Consortium, Central Region? They were suppose to notify today, but they extended their deadline so I am not sure if it was pushed back.
I applied as well and I haven't heard anything yet!

I'm not sure about your sites, but a lot of mine have implied that we're more likely to get our choice of dates the sooner we let them know our availability. I've replied ASAP (knowing that it might affect future invites), but it's getting harder and harder to schedule. I'm not sure what the best strategy is. However, I would at least respond to let them know you are interested and that you're trying to coordinate dates.
That's great feedback thank you

Official Site Name: National Psychology Training Consortium - CENTRAL REGION
Method of invitation (phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Offered Interview Dates: Universal Interview Day = 1/10; Open House = 1/09 (Both at Springfield)

Last edited:
Official Site Name: University South Florida Counseling Center
Method of invitation (phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Offered Interview Dates: 1/7-1/10

COULD NOT be more ecstatic about this one.

Official Site Name: Community Reach Center
Method of invitation (phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal e-mail
Offered Interview Dates: 1/6/20, 1/13/20, 1/22/20

Last edited:
Anyone heard from Hamm and/or Nassau University Medical Center?
Heard from Nassau University Medical Center yesterday afternoon!

edit:

Official Site Name: Nassau University Medical Center
Date Invitation Received: 12/08/19
Method of invitation (phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Offered Interview Dates: 12/11; 12/13; 12/19; 01/02; 01/03; 01/08; 01/09; 01/15

Last edited:
Anyone heard from Youth Opportunity Center? Their notification is posted to be today :)

Congrats!! The TD is a fantastic human being and deeply cares about students.

Offered Interview Dates: 1/13 - 1/16

Official Site Name: Salisbury VA
Offered Interview Dates: 1/6, 1/8, 1/10, 1/13, 1/15, 1/17 in-person or by phone

I got these too! Congrats!

Official Site Name: UT Health-San Antonio
Method of invitation (phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Specialty track or site (e.g. for consortiums): CBT Track
Offered Interview Dates: 1/13; 1/24; 1/27; 1/31

• Love
Official Site Name: National Psychology Training Consortium - CENTRAL REGION
Method of invitation (phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal letter
Offered Interview Dates: Universal Interview Day = 1/09; Open House = 1/10 (Both at Springfield)
Congrats! A physical letter was sent?

Alright, starting the week off with a rejection from the Child and Family Guidance Center in Northridge.

• Sad
  • Love