APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you interviewed earlier in the process and already sent out a thank you note, would you recommend asking them a question or something to remind them that's you're still interested? I interviewed at this place in early Dec. Thanks!

I would not, unless it was a legitimate question that had not been answered, or was not in brochure materials. Multiple contacts has a greater chance of a negative impression than a positive one at this point. Also, if you interviewed at this site in early December, they have most likely already had their ranking meeting.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Brand new to this thread. I did the match a couple years ago, but was more of a lurker than a poster back then too haha. Currently working in the field. Best wishes to everyone in this crazy stressful process! I wanted to leave some information I thought could be useful to some of you. I recently learned something from a colleague about Utah State Hospital’s internship that sort of shook me. This person heard that they dismissed one of their interns this year for strange reasons that did not seem to warrant something so extreme and felt more personal than professional, that many on the training committee at this site generally behave somewhat erratically and irrationally, and the training environment is not supportive. Just passing along what I’ve heard and can’t give many more details than that because that’s all I know at this point. Thought this might help some of you when it comes to ranking decisions, or could be worth looking into further if you are considering this site. Sorry for the negative news! It felt important to share given how much of a difference a good versus bad internship experience makes in one's development as a psychologist.
Yikes! I interviewed here in December. I did not get that impression, but I will certainly take this into account when ranking...

Reactions: 1 user
if this has been asked already, I apologize (haven't checked this thread since mid-December).

Just curious if anyone has insight on how sites typically score these interviews; some sites have had sheets out with a Likert scale and others have not. Never bothered trying to read their sheets and seem nosy or nervous when interviewing. I'm assuming this isn't a standardized form across sites, but I'm sure there's decent overlap. Any insider's knowledge as to what these sheets look like or what feedback TD get from interviewers (scores wise, qualitative wise)?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much!!
I believe you actually can rank sites that did not offer you an interview, if you so choose. But sites are encouraged to inform trainees if they will be ranking applicants whom they did not interview. If the site has not told you this, odds are they likely are not ranking non-interviewed applicants.

The link for Phase II was provided above and has a lot of good information. Briefly, Phase II is very similar to Phase I, just on an abbreviated schedule. Sites are asked not to request supplemental materials from applicants, and are likewise encouraged not to require in-person interviews. If there are sites in Phase II to which you applied in Phase I, you are able to apply to those sites again if you'd like.

Hi everyone,
Where do I get a list of non-appic internship?
There's not really a list of them anywhere. That's info you would have to seek out on your own by reaching out to places. That being said, I would (and many others on this forum likely) strongly advise against doing a non APA internship. It closes a lot of doors.

There's not really a list of them anywhere. That's info you would have to seek out on your own by reaching out to places. That being said, I would (and many others on this forum likely) strongly advise against doing a non APA internship. It closes a lot of doors.

Looks like the poster is talking about non-APPIC member sites (likely in addition to not being APA accredited). Virtually all APA accredited sites are APPIC members. I am not aware of any that are not.

There have been numerous threads regarding the potential ramifications of completing a non-APA accredited internship, and to complete an internship at a site that isn’t a member of APPIC would have even more potentially disastrous career outcomes.

Most schools don’t permit students to even seek internships at non-APPIC member sites...

Looks like the poster is talking about non-APPIC member sites (likely in addition to not being APA accredited). Virtually all APA accredited sites are APPIC members. I am not aware of any that are not.

There have been numerous threads regarding the potential ramifications of completing a non-APA accredited internship, and to complete an internship at a site that isn’t a member of APPIC would have even more potentially disastrous career outcomes.

Most schools don’t permit students to even seek internships at non-APPIC member sites...

Is this different for school psych folks? I’m assuming by the OP’s name that they attend a school psych program, and I believe that the APA internship requirement does not really apply to that area.

Is this different for school psych folks? I’m assuming by the OP’s name that they attend a school psych program, and I believe that the APA internship requirement does not really apply to that area.

Yes, if they want to be licensed and have the option of working outside of a school setting. There are APPIC member sites that are APA accredited who accept applications from school psychology students, and some of these sites provide school-based opportunities.

If you want to have the option of licensure in the future, I would advise this route.

Yes, if they want to be licensed and have the option of working outside of a school setting. There are APPIC member sites that are APA accredited who accept applications from school psychology students, and some of these sites provide school-based opportunities.

If you want to have the option of licensure in the future, I would advise this route.

Yes, totally agree! Just in response to the folks advising the poster to never take a non-APA internship, I wanted to point out that APA-accredited internships are not required of school psych students (unless they are looking to expand outside of the school setting, as you mentioned).

Can someone repost the table/figure about number of sites you rank and corresponding likelihood of matching? I think it was posted earlier in this thread, but I can’t find it. TIA!!!

I know people who did not do APPIC who are employed now and have been licensed.

This process is definitely stressful, but it’s not over until it’s over, so don’t lose hope just yet! APA-accredited internships are definitely the golden standard. If you end up going to Phase II, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and there are good, APA-accredited sites in there. Also, there’s the Post-Match Vacancy Service that can have some good sites on them, too. Sometimes programs get funding and end up adding slots later in the match process which results in these great positions in the PMVS. There are plenty of options! Don’t sell yourself short and settle for anything just to get through internship. You are capable and qualified! Also, if you decide to take an extra year, that’ll give you more hours and more experience which will make you that much more competitive the next time around! Try to give yourself some grace because there are plenty of options before deciding to settle or to take an extra year. There is still hope! If you are interested, you can always check out the Phase II thread from last year’s match. It has solid advice and a lot of information that you might find helpful.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are always going to be people to use as example outliers or those who got licensed/received good jobs/etc. despite the odds. However, when gambling on your future, it's good to be conservative about the risks incurred.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with everyone in finding the most difficult thing is ranking top sites. I have 14 interviews completed and 7 more to go and honestly IDK if I can go on! The worst part is when you already know what your top sites are.
21 interviews! Congrats that’s awesome! Do you have to travel for all these interviews or were some of them by phone?

Can someone repost the table/figure about number of sites you rank and corresponding likelihood of matching? I think it was posted earlier in this thread, but I can’t find it. TIA!!!
Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 10.21.53 PM.png

This is from the 2019 stats: Match Statistics - 2019 - Phase I

I interviewed at a site that said applicants would be interviewed by two people at once (a single interview only).
However, my interview only had one person. I heard in passing that one of the interviewers had called in sick and was not able to be there. While I understand this means some applicants will only be interviewed by one person, I do wonder what went into these game time choices. While it could be completely random, I cannot help but think they may have prioritized candidates they were more interested in. Thoughts on this?

I interviewed at a site that said applicants would be interviewed by two people at once (a single interview only).
However, my interview only had one person. I heard in passing that one of the interviewers had called in sick and was not able to be there. While I understand this means some applicants will only be interviewed by one person, I do wonder what went into these game time choices. While it could be completely random, I cannot help but think they may have prioritized candidates they were more interested in. Thoughts on this?

I had a few sites that did interviews like this, and they all indicated or told me that interview staff/pairs were assigned in advance (a few sent schedules the day before). And on one day I had 5 interviews and a 30-min break alone (instead of the 6 scheduled interviews) because the assigned staff were unavailable. I think it just happens that way sometimes, and I assume they just follow the original game plan rather than make last-minute decisions.

You were good enough to get the interview, so I wouldn't take it personally. (And, if I was a TD planning interviews, I would not want to go to the trouble of rearranging interview staff. And if I did, I'd want more--rather than fewer--eyes on the candidates I had concerns about or was less sure about.) I'll bet you're fine, so try not to worry.

Good luck with the rest of the process!

I had a few sites that did interviews like this, and they all indicated or told me that interview staff/pairs were assigned in advance (a few sent schedules the day before). And on one day I had 5 interviews and a 30-min break alone (instead of the 6 scheduled interviews) because the assigned staff were unavailable. I think it just happens that way sometimes, and I assume they just follow the original game plan rather than make last-minute decisions.

You were good enough to get the interview, so I wouldn't take it personally. (And, if I was a TD planning interviews, I would not want to go to the trouble of rearranging interview staff. And if I did, I'd want more--rather than fewer--eyes on the candidates I had concerns about or was less sure about.) I'll bet you're fine, so try not to worry.

Good luck with the rest of the process!

Agreed. For our site these things are set in stone beforehand. For us, all applicants have the same set of interviews and we don’t really have much backup if someone can’t make the interview. I doubt it has anything to do with you personally. Don’t overthink it!

Do you mean this one?

Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As was said above, I would try not to read too much into it. Our site also sets interview teams up in advance; if someone is sick, we'll try to find a replacement, but this can be very difficult depending on the day and time. In my opinion, the odds would be strongly against it having anything to do with you personally.

Any suggestions about what to do with a site that never responded with an interview invitation or rejection? I reached out at the beginning of the month and they said I was still under consideration but then I never heard anything else. Just incredibly frustrating given the time and money put into each application and I’m not sure the appropriate way to handle the situation/express my disappointment. Thanks!

y'all, ranking is REALLY REALLY hard. I was warned this was the toughest part of the process and they were right. And super anxiety provoking not to have any control over my life in six months, especially not knowing if I'm going to need to move at the end of Spring or Summer.

Do you mean this one?

View attachment 293531

god that is SO many applications. I had around 10 interviews and it was insanely expensive and exhausting. I wish I had applied to fewer, in some ways (I ended up submitting [>10 but <15] applications). Based on historical data from my program I feel like I could have cut down a few, but it's hard to feel confident that's a good choice until I see my results of the match...there's always that "what if".

For people who are applying to >15, are you finding sites that all feel like a great fit? I had trouble identifying more than about 10 sites that felt like a really great fit for my background and my goals. It's interesting to me that the interviews I did NOT get were from the sites I added to my list that I felt were less of an perfect fit but I added to up my numbers (they weren't bad fits by any means, just not as exactly tailored). This process is such a costly ordeal, I'd hate to see internship become like medical residency where people apply for dozens upon dozens...just means more apps for programs to wade through and lower yield of apps/interviews to actual matches.

Any suggestions about what to do with a site that never responded with an interview invitation or rejection? I reached out at the beginning of the month and they said I was still under consideration but then I never heard anything else. Just incredibly frustrating given the time and money put into each application and I’m not sure the appropriate way to handle the situation/express my disappointment. Thanks!

Rank them last. You wanna be in a place like this for internship?

Reactions: 3 users
god that is SO many applications. I had around 10 interviews and it was insanely expensive and exhausting. I wish I had applied to fewer, in some ways (I ended up submitting [>10 but <15] applications). Based on historical data from my program I feel like I could have cut down a few, but it's hard to feel confident that's a good choice until I see my results of the match...there's always that "what if".

For people who are applying to >15, are you finding sites that all feel like a great fit? I had trouble identifying more than about 10 sites that felt like a really great fit for my background and my goals. It's interesting to me that the interviews I did NOT get were from the sites I added to my list that I felt were less of an perfect fit but I added to up my numbers (they weren't bad fits by any means, just not as exactly tailored). This process is such a costly ordeal, I'd hate to see internship become like medical residency where people apply for dozens upon dozens...just means more apps for programs to wade through and lower yield of apps/interviews to actual matches.
Mine was opposite. Sites that I felt were a perfect fit - 1 interview.
The 3 sites that I wasn’t as interested in and that weren’t as good of a fit (or I felt like it)- got interviews at all of them.

I didn’t apply to more than 15. However, I received some interviews at places that were great fits but did not receive interviews to equally great fits. I am grateful that I applied to some of the “safety sites” because a few of them surprised me tremendously in what they had to offer. Truth is.. some sites are not great at explaining their sites on paper especially if the site has a lot going on already.

I didn’t apply to more than 15. However, I received some interviews at places that were great fits but did not receive interviews to equally great fits. I am grateful that I applied to some of the “safety sites” because a few of them surprised me tremendously in what they had to offer. Truth is.. some sites are not great at explaining their sites on paper especially if the site has a lot going on already.

Agreed! There were definitely some sites that really surprised me (in a positive way) during the interview, which are now higher on my list than I anticipated from their brochure. And now I'm remembering that I did apply to one place I thought was an amazing fit and didn't get an interview, so who knows... it would just suck if this process mushroomed for both applicants and sites (say if, in 5 years, the majority of applicants submit 20 apps each). It's such a time investment and productivity loss for all parties. And I don't mean to be negative about the process, I actually found a number of aspects of it (interviews, cover letters, etc.) pretty fun. But wow I am glad it is nearly over.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to deduct internship related expenses on their taxes? (Like How you used be able to deduct job search expenses, etc)

Has anyone tried to deduct internship related expenses on their taxes? (Like How you used be able to deduct job search expenses, etc)

I think it's theoretically possible, but really depends on tax situations. For most single filers in graduate school, it doesn't matter. Mostly, you need more than 12k in itemized deductions to use itemized vs standard deduction. For most in grad school, they don't have that much in itemizable deductions, and they also do not have enough in taxable income for it to matter. If you have a spouse with higher earnings, you need more than 24 in itemized deductions.

Welp Rankings Submitted. Now to wait the grueling 26 days.

Reactions: 9 users
How long did it take you after your last interview to submit your rankings? Did you struggle at all to order your rankings? Thanks in advance!
My last interview was on the 21st. My top 3 ranks and bottom 3 ranks were super easy. I had difficulty with the four rankings in the middle. I spoke with my spouse, a few supervisors, and compared training and location. I figured that I would be okay with any four in the middle if I were to match there, so the order wasn't a HUGE priority if that makes sense. I was more concerned with my top 3 and bottom 3. Increasing my chances of matching at the places I loved and not matching at the places I was not too much in love with.

This may just be me venting, but I'm am really having a hard time ranking sites. I'm having trouble because I like what some sites have to offer; however, I did not like how they conducted their interviews. Two of my (initial) top sites were ALL structured interviews with no conversation after I answered a question. They never referred to anything on my CV or asked anything about me personally. I had some really great interviews that were not structured this way, but I'm not sure if I should rank these two sites lower just because of the "feeling" I got from their interview process. Thoughts or other venting comments are welcome. :)

This may just be me venting, but I'm am really having a hard time ranking sites. I'm having trouble because I like what some sites have to offer; however, I did not like how they conducted their interviews. Two of my (initial) top sites were ALL structured interviews with no conversation after I answered a question. They never referred to anything on my CV or asked anything about me personally. I had some really great interviews that were not structured this way, but I'm not sure if I should rank these two sites lower just because of the "feeling" I got from their interview process. Thoughts or other venting comments are welcome. :)
Depending on how long the interview is, it can be hard for both parties to get everything in that they want to ask or say. That might be part of why you get the interview was too structured. All of the sites you applied to already have your CV, so I can imagine they might be thinking, “Well, we already know about this because we’ve reviewed it.” Aside from the interviews, how did you feel about the top two sites? I feel like the ranking decision is both a mix of logic and reason in combination with your gut feelings and emotions. Just because the interviews were very structured doesn’t mean they were bad, right? I think there’s a difference between it being bad in structure and interview, and it being structured in a way that isn’t really preferred but was still good.

Hi. I am an intuitive person, and my interview experiences have definitely completely changed my rankings. In a very structured interview, it communicates a value. I would wonder if my humanity would have space in supervision. However, this is just how I would think for myself as a very intuitive, also first gen, human and applicant.

Depending on how long the interview is, it can be hard for both parties to get everything in that they want to ask or say. That might be part of why you get the interview was too structured. All of the sites you applied to already have your CV, so I can imagine they might be thinking, “Well, we already know about this because we’ve reviewed it.” Aside from the interviews, how did you feel about the top two sites? I feel like the ranking decision is both a mix of logic and reason in combination with your gut feelings and emotions. Just because the interviews were very structured doesn’t mean they were bad, right? I think there’s a difference between it being bad in structure and interview, and it being structured in a way that isn’t really preferred but was still good.

Yes, thank you for your insight. They definitely weren't bad; however, I didn't get a sense of whether or not I would be able to learn from the supervisors or if I would enjoy working with them. I couldn't tell if I would fit in well with their team or how they would be in supervision. I guess I appreciated the sites (who were lower on my list) that actually took the time to review my CV/essays beforehand and brought that into the interview. I appreciate your comment and I'm going to try and not let my view of the interview extend to my overall feeling of the sites.

If the highly structured sites were government sites, I would not ready anything into how structured it is. Some sites have extremely strict rules about this that have nothing to do with the internship. For example, they may be required by the government branch they are in to do all job interviews in a way that minimizes variability from conversation. A lot of forensic sites I interviewed were like this. They can’t then mention your cv or essays because that couldn’t be made uniform across all applicants. In those cases it’s more like conducting a good psych assessment by adhering to protocol on standardized tests.

Venting comment, here. I am having a tough time, too! I think I'm realizing I became more adept at asking good questions to evaluate sites later on, so only have the "feeling" from my first few interviews to really draw from.

Had my last interview yesterday. Spent 4 days in NYC, then got in late last night. Rankings have been submitted!

For those of you struggling with rankings, being on the other side of the experience, I’ll say the same thing I did last year: try not to overthink it or spend too much time on it.

I had some great interviews and not-so-great interviews and ended up at a place that had a great interview style but in the end they were nothing like the easygoing group they portrayed themselves as; the interview had given me a false impression. Thus, just rank the sites by the kind of training you want or whatever else you want to rank them by, but just know that the experience may be different than expected. No need to agonize over something that no matter the choice, should end up with decent training and completing your last step before graduation.

If the location of the internship site is where you want to end up settling down or close by, that may help come postdoc time because of networking and TDs being more familiar with each other locally. But since you ultimately don’t just choose but are also chosen, part of this is still out of your hands. I chose a site as my #1 pick due to its location (and it had solid training, as all sites I ranked did) but didn’t match there in the end because I wasn’t high enough on their list. Again, factors out of your control.

Thus, spending a lot of time ranking may not result in what you expected in the end anyway, due to the mutual ranking unknowns and sometimes misleading first impressions, so I’d encourage you to get the ranking out of the way and relax and enjoy being done with the interview/ranking process!

Reactions: 8 users
Long time lurker, first post! I interviewed at a site that I really liked because of the environment and training experiences. Talking to my DCT, I was told that I should be wary of it because many of the supervisors are Argosy grads. My DCT's concern was about how that would affect my career. Is that something I should be taking into consideration?

I am currently between two sites as my number 1, every day which site I feel is best changes and I really just need to make a decision. Does anyone have any advice? I'm ready to just flip a coin haha

Long time lurker, first post! I interviewed at a site that I really liked because of the environment and training experiences. Talking to my DCT, I was told that I should be wary of it because many of the supervisors are Argosy grads. My DCT's concern was about how that would affect my career. Is that something I should be taking into consideration?

I’ve never been asked where my clinical supervisors received their degree. Your mileage may vary.

I’ve never been asked where my clinical supervisors received their degree. Your mileage may vary.

Caveat, there are some prac/internship placements in town that are exclusively staffed by diploma mill grads. So, in some of these cases, the placement's overarching reputation may be the factor. We will not take prac students or interns who did work at those places. We get a ton of applications for each, and we don't want to have to beat the poor training and/or pseudoscience out of people.

Caveat, there are some prac/internship placements in town that are exclusively staffed by diploma mill grads. So, in some of these cases, the placement's overarching reputation may be the factor. We will not take prac students or interns who did work at those places. We get a ton of applications for each, and we don't want to have to beat the poor training and/or pseudoscience out of people.
Are these APA accredited internships?