APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all, I'm back with anotherrrrr question :p. Is it better to rank everywhere you interviewed to make sure you match, even the places you had serious reservations about and didn't really like (but location, pay, and training oops were "okay")...rather than go into Phase Two? What are the odds I would get ANY neuropsych somewhere within 5 hrs of home in Phase Two? :eek: "I'm freaking out, man!"
View attachment 294830
I agree that it definitely depends on whether location is more important than a satisfactory training. I did not rank any places that I wouldn’t be comfortable at for a year but I also have nothing tying me to a specific location. Phase II had great options last year. I am not sure about neuropsych with location proximity. Good luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have insider info on Broughton State Hospital and San Bernardino Behavioral Health?

I submitted my ranks 2 weeks ago and now I’m having doubts about these two. :(

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I’m having such a hard time trying to rank my top 3. All three sites are great but two of them require me to move out of state and one of them is local. However, the sites that are out of state have some great training opportunities that I would not get at the local site. But the local site has a unique population I would get to work with, I wouldn’t have to move and I’ve heard from people is a great training site. Ahhh! I feel the sites are dead even with each other. How are y’all making the decisions regarding the order of your top 3? Any feedback would greatly help!
Do the training opportunities at the other sites outweigh the unique population? It also helps to go with your gut and certify it. See how you feel once your certify it because you can change it up until the deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
California Medical Facility Vacaville is pulling out of the match. I'm sure they're contact everyone who interviewed but just in case...

Do the training opportunities at the other sites outweigh the unique population? It also helps to go with your gut and certify it. See how you feel once your certify it because you can change it up until the deadline.

Hmm...I think both places have their pros and cons related to their training opportunities but I do believe the training opportunities at one site does outweigh the unique population.
You’re right. I’m going to go with my gut because I’ve changed me list about 5 times now but I think I need to stop overthinking it all. They are all great sites and I know I’ll get good training wherever I go. Thanks!

California Medical Facility Vacaville is pulling out of the match. I'm sure they're contact everyone who interviewed but just in case...
This may be for the best. I have heard very negative reviews from a few applicants this year...

I think it is honestly for the best but still a disappointment. The interns there this year seemed so unhappy when I was there interviewing due to all of the changes resulting from the switch to California Department of Corrections, and many of the supervisors left to go to Napa State Hospital so it seems that they are losing staff left and right. It is such a shame as they had a historically amazing training program for forensics :-(

Hey there!

As some others have mentioned, I'm having substantial difficulty choosing between my top two: Harvard MGH and Einstein Montefiore.

Do people have any insights on how to choose in a way that will be good for my career long-term? I currently live in NY, so MGH would be a relocation plus a $20K salary difference. With that in mind, is the name really worth it?

I was wondering about potential benefits of going to a more "established" VA site vs. a lesser known site? I feel as though the interview went better at the non-VA site, but in terms of money/location/future job opportunities it seems like the VAs are the way to go...

I know the decision is personal but I suppose I was wondering in general the benefits of a VA generalist program vs. a lesser known generalist type program..

Last edited:
I think it is honestly for the best but still a disappointment. The interns there this year seemed so unhappy when I was there interviewing due to all of the changes resulting from the switch to California Department of Corrections, and many of the supervisors left to go to Napa State Hospital so it seems that they are losing staff left and right. It is such a shame as they had a historically amazing training program for forensics :-(
Yes, this was my experience. They helped me with the "should I even rank them" question.

Hey there!

As some others have mentioned, I'm having substantial difficulty choosing between my top two: Harvard MGH and Einstein Montefiore.

Do people have any insights on how to choose in a way that will be good for my career long-term? I currently live in NY, so MGH would be a relocation plus a $20K salary difference. With that in mind, is the name really worth it?

I think both these programs have great reputations and you can't go wrong with either. If you want to stay in NYC long term, it might be nice to continue to make connections through a NYC-based internship.

I applied to a program with no sick days and only 10 days of PTO. At the interview, only one of the current interns had taken a day off so far due to illness, and she said she "worked it out with [her] supervisor." I'm really nervous about the idea of being at a site with no sick days. What if I get the flu (even with the flu shot)?! This seems super ableist, disrespectful to patients (we could infect them), and to me suggests a lack of respect for interns. I am worried about not ranking one of my programs (out of 5 interviews) but at the same time, I don't think I can do a year with only 10 days of PTO and no sick time. Thoughts?

I applied to a program with no sick days and only 10 days of PTO. At the interview, only one of the current interns had taken a day off so far due to illness, and she said she "worked it out with [her] supervisor." I'm really nervous about the idea of being at a site with no sick days. What if I get the flu (even with the flu shot)?! This seems super ableist, disrespectful to patients (we could infect them), and to me suggests a lack of respect for interns. I am worried about not ranking one of my programs (out of 5 interviews) but at the same time, I don't think I can do a year with only 10 days of PTO and no sick time. Thoughts?
If you don't like this program and don't want to rank them, I wouldn't rank them just for the sake of possibly matching in Phase I. If I remember correctly, the probability of matching to one of the top four sites is between 80 and 90 percent. If by some chance you don't match in Phase I, there are still plenty of sites - and good sites - in Phase II. If you don't want to go to a site, don't rank them. Yes, it is just for a year, but it is also a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why can’t you use the PTO when you’re sick? Personal time off is personal time off. Who will check if you’re sick or not?

Someone can correct me but I thought PTO can be used for anything you deem personally important to you.

Also, what will happen if you use all 10 days of PTO and get the flu or chicken pox? Are you expected to come in? Will you get in trouble if you don’t and berated for your body deciding to get sick?

I’ve never had a job with any type of PTO or sick days, hence all the questions :p

• Hmm
Hi all, I'm back with anotherrrrr question :p. Is it better to rank everywhere you interviewed to make sure you match, even the places you had serious reservations about and didn't really like (but location, pay, and training oops were "okay")...rather than go into Phase Two? What are the odds I would get ANY neuropsych somewhere within 5 hrs of home in Phase Two? :eek: "I'm freaking out, man!"
View attachment 294830

Phase II will likely have some high quality sites with neuropsych training, especially if you're looking for (or willing to accept) a VAMC internship. Some of the best VAs have had Phase II slots in recent years. Many VAMCs advertise as generalist training but have multiple neuropsych rotations (in neuropsych clinics but also in rehab, gero, TBI, and other specialty clinics). Even if they don't advertise a separate neuropsych track, many VAs can provide enough good neuro training to get you into a good post-doc.

Location will be more limited in Phase II.

• Love
I’m having such a hard time trying to rank my top 3. All three sites are great but two of them require me to move out of state and one of them is local. However, the sites that are out of state have some great training opportunities that I would not get at the local site. But the local site has a unique population I would get to work with, I wouldn’t have to move and I’ve heard from people is a great training site. Ahhh! I feel the sites are dead even with each other. How are y’all making the decisions regarding the order of your top 3? Any feedback would greatly help!

I'm reminding myself that, in the words of a beloved professor, "all decisions involve loss." Regardless of which amazing site I end up at, I will lose out on all the amazing opportunities at other sites.

My top 3 sites were pretty even all around, so I ranked them according to distance from where I live, assuming that stress and cost of apartment hunting and relocation will be lower if I move an hour away (my #1) compared to moving 5 hours (my #2) or 10 hours (my #3) away.

I also had my significant other (who may or may not move with me, depending on job options where I match) rank order my sites to help me adjust my rankings for sites I couldn't choose between.
I also had a tie between 2 other sites, and I texted a random friend to ask her how I should rank according to city (not training)...I totally passed off the burden of responsibility for every ranking choice I wasn't sure about.

Hey all.

I iust received a personalized email from a TD thanking me for applying, saying it was great interviewing with me, and reminding me that they are available for questions.

Should I reply back? If so, what?

Phase II will likely have some high quality sites with neuropsych training, especially if you're looking for (or willing to accept) a VAMC internship. Some of the best VAs have had Phase II slots in recent years. Many VAMCs advertise as generalist training but have multiple neuropsych rotations (in neuropsych clinics but also in rehab, gero, TBI, and other specialty clinics). Even if they don't advertise a separate neuropsych track, many VAs can provide enough good neuro training to get you into a good post-doc.

Location will be more limited in Phase II.
You have to be VERY careful about this for neuro. If it's not a neuropsych track specifically, you have to work to meet the Houston guidelines, which is not always possible at every site.

You have to be VERY careful about this for neuro. If it's not a neuropsych track specifically, you have to work to meet the Houston guidelines, which is not always possible at every site.
Not as careful as most think. HCG is more about the overall training, of which internship is just one small part. Someone with a good background can still meet requirements and be competitive with a generalist internship. Neuro tracks are not necessary in some instances.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all.

I iust received a personalized email from a TD thanking me for applying, saying it was great interviewing with me, and reminding me that they are available for questions.

I got emails like this from 3 sites. I thought they were nice emails, but all my questions had been answered so I haven't responded. I hate to fill up their inboxes unless I have a specific question or something important to say.

If you have something to say or ask, then I'd say their email indicates they'd welcome your communication. But I don't think you need to respond unless you really want to. They probably sent these to everyone they ranked, so I doubt a lack of response on your end would be noticed or held against you.

Reactions: 2 users
Why can’t you use the PTO when you’re sick? Personal time off is personal time off. Who will check if you’re sick or not?

Someone can correct me but I thought PTO can be used for anything you deem personally important to you.

Also, what will happen if you use all 10 days of PTO and get the flu or chicken pox? Are you expected to come in? Will you get in trouble if you don’t and berated for your body deciding to get sick?

I’ve never had a job with any type of PTO or sick days, hence all the questions :p

So, they call it 10 "vacation days" specifically, not just PTO. At some jobs, you have a PTO bank that you use for everything - sick, vacation, personal time etc. At others, you have those days designated differently and given/accrued separately. At this site, they referred to them as vacation days, and went out of their way to say that interns do not have sick or personal time.

And yeah, your final set of questions is what I'm getting at! Seems like a stupid policy to me. Between post-doc interviews, defending my dissertation, doctor appointments, and possibly being sick... I don't think 10 days off total for an entire year is going to cut it.

EDIT: They said that the vacation days *needed* to be scheduled at least a month in advance... so they wouldn't be very useful as sick days.

It's not possible at every site, and I can't speak to sites other than VAs, but there are lots of VAs that only offer a generalist track and have really high quality neuro training that more than meets Houston guidelines. For example, some VAs have TBI or gero specialty clinics where trainees can choose to focus on assessment; TBI assessments or neurocognitive and capacity evaluations with gero patients can essentially make these neuro rotations. For VAs with rehab rotations, a focus on neuropsych assessment in rehab setting means the rotation can not only count toward meeting Houston guidelines for internship training but could also set trainees up for a good neuropsych and/or rehab post-doc (allowing them to meet both neuro and rehab fellowship requirements with one 2-year neuro/rehab fellowship and could allow them to eventually double-board in neoropsych and rehab psychology which increases eligibility for neuropsychologist jobs in specialty settings).

This is not the case at all VAs, but any VAs have a lot of opportunities and (sometimes) flexibility. I'd say speak with training directors at each site to find out how many neuro or neuro-focused rotations they might be able to provide. Any VA with a neuro rotation could potentially (depending on staffing, number of other trainees, etc.) provide training that meets Houston guidelines. Also, some VAs have agreements allowing interns to complete an off-site neuro rotation at an affiliated hospital or medical school. These aren't always advertised in the brochures, but 2-of-3 VAs in my state and 3-of-9 VAs where I interviewed offer these unadvertised neuro rotation options.

Also, a VA internship could potentially open doors to VA VA neuropsych post-doc opportunities.

Hey all.

I received an email like this and did not respond because I did not have a question. Like above, they probably sent this to everyone that they ranked so your lack of response won’t affect anything at this point. If you do respond, make sure you don’t break the rules of indicating a rank or rank position. It is so much pressure not to say the wrong thing which also influenced my choice not to respond.

So, they call it 10 "vacation days" specifically, not just PTO. At some jobs, you have a PTO bank that you use for everything - sick, vacation, personal time etc. At others, you have those days designated differently and given/accrued separately. At this site, they referred to them as vacation days, and went out of their way to say that interns do not have sick or personal time.

And yeah, your final set of questions is what I'm getting at! Seems like a stupid policy to me. Between post-doc interviews, defending my dissertation, doctor appointments, and possibly being sick... I don't think 10 days off total for an entire year is going to cut it.

EDIT: They said that the vacation days *needed* to be scheduled at least a month in advance... so they wouldn't be very useful as sick days.
Oh I got it! At some places you have PTO and sick time is *unpaid*

So maybe they mean, of course call out when you’re sick, we just can’t pay you.

Maybe interns don’t get days, and you have to schedule vacation a month in advance because interns are SO essential to the operation at that site, the place will be utter chaos without you! Chaos I say!! Lol

And like I’m sorry but if I’m sick (coughing, sneezing all over the place) I am NOT coming in. I hate it when people do that **** (come in when they’re sick, and contaminate everyone) so I do not do this to others.

And also, some schools allow you to defend via Skype to not put financial burden on students at internship, so ask your school about this! I would love to avoid an extra flight if I can so I will be doing this option.

Did anyone rank a site they liked lower due to cost of living? A site I like is in Boston, and the cost of living with an intern's stipend freaks me out. (clearly having last minute nerves)

Did anyone rank a site they liked lower due to cost of living? A site I like is in Boston, and the cost of living with an intern's stipend freaks me out. (clearly having last minute nerves)
I’m having massive last minute nervous about all my sites and am fighting the urge to re order. I say stick w your pre-nerves rank order!

Reactions: 4 users
Oh I got it! At some places you have PTO and sick time is *unpaid*
In places I've worked, it's more like you're given X number of sick days each calendar year, vs you earn Y number of vacation hours every week and they accrue over time. So they're just different banks, but still paid.

To the rest of your points, I agree! I am having trouble understanding why interns shouldn't get sick time compared to full time staff. We are also working full time and can also get sick. Also reeks of ableism / assumption that interns will be younger and will not have any chronic conditions to manage which could require time out, either for symptom management/treatment or preventitive care. Do we just not go to the dentist for a year?! Etc. I'll stop ranting because I think I've made my point several times over by now.

In places I've worked, it's more like you're given X number of sick days each calendar year, vs you earn Y number of vacation hours every week and they accrue over time. So they're just different banks, but still paid.

To the rest of your points, I agree! I am having trouble understanding why interns shouldn't get sick time compared to full time staff. We are also working full time and can also get sick. Also reeks of ableism / assumption that interns will be younger and will not have any chronic conditions to manage which could require time out, either for symptom management/treatment or preventitive care. Do we just not go to the dentist for a year?! Etc. I'll stop ranting because I think I've made my point several times over by now.
Plus some people have kids that are sick or might have school events, etc. Are the kids supposed to manage on their own??

Haha okay I’ll put this point to rest too :p

Yes, I ranked an excellent site last simply because the cost of a cross-country relocation and living in a very expensive city wouldn't be possible on the stipend. It's sad, but I refuse to acquire more debt during internship year due to cost of living, especially when there are different but good training opportunities in small and mid-sized cities. I don't want financial stress to affect my internship year.

Good luck!

Yes, I ranked an excellent site last simply because the cost of a cross-country relocation and living in a very expensive city wouldn't be possible on the stipend. It's sad, but I refuse to acquire more debt during internship year due to cost of living, especially when there are different but good training opportunities in small and mid-sized cities. I don't want financial stress to affect my internship year.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! I had exactly the same thinking. Trying to get rid of student loan debt not add to it! Best of luck :)

Less than 10 days! 9 days and 21 hours!

Me: "I'm going to pack my schedule to stay busy these next few weeks"

Also me: **Can't concentrate on doing something for more than 15 minutes**

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
I keep being like "wow, I haven't thought about match day in so long! It must be almost here!"

...and then it's only been 3 hours.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Same! I know my life will never be the same again as pre-match so I am trying to enjoy my time now :/

Same! I know my life will never be the same again as pre-match so I am trying to enjoy my time now :/

I was just thinking the same tonight. As much as I am eager to know what my future holds, it is nice to not have to think about that for another week +.

I need to be working on my dissertation during this wait, but...zero energy or motivation. The whole internship application and interview process really took it out of me.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I need to be working on my dissertation during this wait, but...zero energy or motivation. The whole internship application and interview process really took it out of me.

I actually enjoyed the application and interviewing process (way back when), but like you, I certainly felt it afterward, probably due in no small part to having driven to most of my interviews. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I gave myself a week or so "off," outside of necessary responsibilities like lab meetings and practicum work, during the downtime between ranking and matching.

Reactions: 5 users
I actually enjoyed the application and interviewing process (way back when), but like you, I certainly felt it afterward, probably due in no small part to having driven to most of my interviews. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I gave myself a week or so "off," outside of necessary responsibilities like lab meetings and practicum work, during the downtime between ranking and matching.

Similar, I loved it. I drove to 2 places, flew to the rest, and skipped an open house. It was also very eye opening, some of my ranks changed considerably after being on site, so I am wholeheartedly glad that I attended in person. The process is what you make it. If you build it up to be super stressful, it'll be super stressful. If you enjoy it, it's not bad at all.

Maybe it's just us neuro folk though. We are a weird group/

Similar, I loved it. I drove to 2 places, flew to the rest, and skipped an open house. It was also very eye opening, some of my ranks changed considerably after being on site, so I am wholeheartedly glad that I attended in person. The process is what you make it. If you build it up to be super stressful, it'll be super stressful. If you enjoy it, it's not bad at all.

Maybe it's just us neuro folk though. We are a weird group/

Nah, generalist over here and really loved making the internship rounds last year. It was a mostly joyful process for me. It definitely caught up to me when it was over though. I needed about a week to gas back up after I got home.

Nah, generalist over here and really loved making the internship rounds last year. It was a mostly joyful process for me. It definitely caught up to me when it was over though. I needed about a week to gas back up after I got home.
I agree! It was fun. I made a micro vacation out most of the locations and really tried to make it enjoyable. The process completely ruined my routine so it’s been a struggle getting back into it. The anticipation of waiting makes it worse.

Agree. It was a fun time - filled with possibilities! Drove to three, and flew to two others - took an extended vacation on the last flight and did lots of exploring in a cool place. I also liked getting to see good work that was being done in different places (as well as get to know what settings I may not be as satisfied in)!

This is validating! Thank you everyone!

I have my dissertation analyses, the class I TA two sections for, program evaluation work for my research assistantship, MULTIPLE hobbies where i can’t access a clock or calendar, a partner, a dog, and a vacation starting in about 5 minutes and I am STILL impatient/bored/dragging. AGHH!!!!

THE CLOSER IT GETS THE SLOWER TIME MOVES! Every moment that i am not distracted by one of the above things, I am checking the date if i could just not, that would be great.

Reactions: 6 users
This is validating! Thank you everyone!

I have my dissertation analyses, the class I TA two sections for, program evaluation work for my research assistantship, MULTIPLE hobbies where i can’t access a clock or calendar, a partner, a dog, and a vacation starting in about 5 minutes and I am STILL impatient/bored/dragging. AGHH!!!!

THE CLOSER IT GETS THE SLOWER TIME MOVES! Every moment that i am not distracted by one of the above things, I am checking the date if i could just not, that would be great.

THIS! SAME. In a total time warp!