APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any advice for determining these sites to avoid?

Sometimes it can be tough, as the local area knows the reputation better, as opposed to applying to sites in different regions. But, you can ask your previous supervisors about good sites for your specialty. Otherwise, look at the faculty supervisors that you will be potentially be working with, did they all graduate from diploma mills? If so, that's a huge red flag in my book. In this area, they work at these sites because they cannot get hired elsewhere. May not be as big of a deal for generalists, but in some of the specialties, where you trained and who your prior supervisors and references are matter a lot in hiring at many places.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently between two sites as my number 1, every day which site I feel is best changes and I really just need to make a decision. Does anyone have any advice? I'm ready to just flip a coin haha
If they are really equal in your mind, I would go where it has lower cost of living/higher pay.

I am currently between two sites as my number 1, every day which site I feel is best changes and I really just need to make a decision. Does anyone have any advice? I'm ready to just flip a coin haha
I also struggled with this. Preferred location, stipend, any cool experiences above your goals that you never knew you needed (lol) can be the tie breaker. Go with your gut and don’t over think it. I submitted my rankings immediately and promised myself that I wouldn’t change them

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know what to do now that I submitted rankings. Just waiting for the email that is literally life changing. Doo doo doo.

How do people sleep at night??

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I dont know what to do now that I submitted rankings. Just waiting for the email that is literally life changing. Doo doo doo.

Meh, it's out of your hands, not much to worry about at this point. Go work on your dissertation, go to the gym, get a drink, etc.

Reactions: 4 users

I've been making plans to meet up with classmates to work on dissertation. These 3 weeks are going to be forever!

Reactions: 1 users

Now we wait. Not much we can do now. We either killed it, or bombed it. I just submitted my chapter I wrote for an encyclopedia, so now I wait for any edits from them if needed. I am taking these last days of January to just relax, then beginning February, I finish coding my data, run my ANOVA and chi-square, write up my last two chapters, defend, and done. I am hoping to have all this done by or before the end of the month. Other than that...I am driving Lyft, making some extra cash, especially since the Super Bowl is this Sunday, I should make some good money here in Miami.

Yes, totally agree! Just in response to the folks advising the poster to never take a non-APA internship, I wanted to point out that APA-accredited internships are not required of school psych students (unless they are looking to expand outside of the school setting, as you mentioned).

This isn't entirely accurate. First, I'm in an APA-accredited school psych program, and we're required to complete an APA-accredited internship to graduate regardless of the setting we ultimately intend to work in, so you should always check to make sure there is a program-specific requirement.

Licensure requirements also vary state-to-state, so maybe you're referring to something that is specific to your state? Because to my knowledge, there is no hard and fast rule about needing to have an accredited internship to work outside of a school but not to work within a school. Can you elaborate?

This isn't entirely accurate. First, I'm in an APA-accredited school psych program, and we're required to complete an APA-accredited internship to graduate regardless of the setting we ultimately intend to work in, so you should always check to make sure there is a program-specific requirement.

Licensure requirements also vary state-to-state, so maybe you're referring to something that is specific to your state? Because to my knowledge, there is no hard and fast rule about needing to have an accredited internship to work outside of a school but not to work within a school. Can you elaborate?

Poster may be referring to the fact that many institutional settings (e.g., VA, many hospital systems) require an APA accredited internship for hiring. Licensure is irrelevant in these instances.

Poster may be referring to the fact that many institutional settings (e.g., VA, many hospital systems) require an APA accredited internship for hiring. Licensure is irrelevant in these instances.

Thank you for the clarification. That's good to know! But I'd still like clarification on the claim that "APA-accredited internships are not required of school psych students."

I feel ya. Spent 30 minutes the other day doing the same overthinking. At the end of the day, its a just a list. And someone is going to have to be your #2. Go with your gut as much as you can, submit and certify the list, and then be done with it and come join the rest of us on the other side of the almighty "rank order list" fence. We got Netflix, wine to share, and we'll waive the club dues ;)

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you for the clarification. That's good to know! But I'd still like clarification on the claim that "APA-accredited internships are not required of school psych students."

There are some school psychology programs that don't require completion of an APA-accredited internship. CDSPP is an accrediting body specifically for school psychology internships. NASP requires 600 hours of internship to be completed in a school for a person to receive an NCSP. In sum, you don't actually need an APA-accredited internship to be a school psychologist working at a school. However, as stated previously by others, if you'd like to have more options beyond schools, it's best to attend an APA-accredited internship.

Struggling between Emory and MUSC with rankings. Can anyone share any relevant experience that they have or know from others that could provide some clarity?

Members don't see this ad :)
Similarly to the poster above, if anyone has any personal experience with either Metropolitan State Hospital in California or Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo and wouldn't mind messaging me, I have a few questions to help determine final rankings!!

Struggling between Emory and MUSC with rankings. Can anyone share any relevant experience that they have or know from others that could provide some clarity?

I don't have any personal experience with either, but they both seemed like great programs when I interviewed with them way back when. I'd have been happy to go to either. Some of it may come down to career interests, but I don't think you could go wrong either way.

There are some school psychology programs that don't require completion of an APA-accredited internship. CDSPP is an accrediting body specifically for school psychology internships. NASP requires 600 hours of internship to be completed in a school for a person to receive an NCSP. In sum, you don't actually need an APA-accredited internship to be a school psychologist working at a school. However, as stated previously by others, if you'd like to have more options beyond schools, it's best to attend an APA-accredited internship.

Yes, I know. And to be clear, you don't need an NCSP to work in a school either. But you also don't necessarily need an APA-accredited internship to work in some settings/roles with a PhD/PsyD in clinical/counseling/combined. And there are also clinical/counseling/combined programs that don't require accredited internships.

The point I was trying to make is that the original post implied that school psychs in particular don't need an accredited internship, when in fact all of these psych disciplines *may* have the option of choosing a non-accredited internship, depending on program requirements, state licensure requirements, career goals, and other assorted factors. It was misleading and reductionistic to say that all SPs aren't required unless there is a setting requirement. It's more complicated than that, and when stated as such implies that SPs are held to a lower standard than other disciplines. As stated, yes, it limits our options in the long run should you choose to go that route, but again, that's for all disciplines, not just SPs. I defer to this great APPIC FAQ re: non-accredited internships: APPIC > Match > FAQs > Applicants > Eligibility and Participation

I believe that the spirit of the post was more to the effect of job settings that these degrees work in, on average. For example, school psychologists are not eligible for clinical psych positions at any of the major hospital systems in my state, regardless of the status of their internship.

In general, settings where school psychs are likely to work, are much more likely to not require the accreditation. As opposed to clinical psychologists, where most institutional settings do require it. It wasn't misleading or reductionist at all. It's just the reality of the situation.

Did anyone else get stranded at the SEA-TAC Airport today en route to a site visit? Cuz I sure did.

• Wow
  • Sad
I believe that the spirit of the post was more to the effect of job settings that these degrees work in, on average. For example, school psychologists are not eligible for clinical psych positions at any of the major hospital systems in my state, regardless of the status of their internship.

In general, settings where school psychs are likely to work, are much more likely to not require the accreditation. As opposed to clinical psychologists, where most institutional settings do require it. It wasn't misleading or reductionist at all. It's just the reality of the situation.

Thank you for telling me about the reality of my situation. To be clear, I did not mean to imply that there was ill will behind the post. In fact, I'm sure there wasn't! Perhaps you can also recognize the spirit of my post, which was simply to provide more contextualized information to a previous poster who seemed to be concerned about match and considering other options rather than simply implying that they shouldn't worry about whether their internship is accredited because it doesn't typically matter to school psychs. I found that to be simplistic and thought that student and other school psychs on this forum could benefit from more information. I'm sorry you disagree.

Thank you for telling me about the reality of my situation. To be clear, I did not mean to imply that there was ill will behind the post. In fact, I'm sure there wasn't! Perhaps you can also recognize the spirit of my post, which was simply to provide more contextualized information to a previous poster who seemed to be concerned about match and considering other options rather than simply implying that they shouldn't worry about whether their internship is accredited because it doesn't typically matter to school psychs. I found that to be simplistic and thought that student and other school psychs on this forum could benefit from more information. I'm sorry you disagree.

I wasn’t implying that accreditation doesn’t matter to school psych students. I was pointing out to the posters advising the school psych student that a non-APA accredited program would be detrimental to their careers that it may not necessarily be true for the poster depending on their desired setting.

Thanks, Wisneuro for clarifying what I was saying.

I interviewed at a site that said applicants would be interviewed by two people at once (a single interview only).
However, my interview only had one person. I heard in passing that one of the interviewers had called in sick and was not able to be there. While I understand this means some applicants will only be interviewed by one person, I do wonder what went into these game time choices. While it could be completely random, I cannot help but think they may have prioritized candidates they were more interested in. Thoughts on this?

People just get sick, or their kiddos do, or there is an emergency on the unit....
I know this is an incredibly stressful process. I would not read into it at all. Hang in. You are almost there.

Any suggestions about what to do with a site that never responded with an interview invitation or rejection? I reached out at the beginning of the month and they said I was still under consideration but then I never heard anything else. Just incredibly frustrating given the time and money put into each application and I’m not sure the appropriate way to handle the situation/express my disappointment. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so sorry this is happening to you. I think it is perfectly appropriate to reach out to ask again.

Long time lurker, first post! I interviewed at a site that I really liked because of the environment and training experiences. Talking to my DCT, I was told that I should be wary of it because many of the supervisors are Argosy grads. My DCT's concern was about how that would affect my career. Is that something I should be taking into consideration?

I think it could be helpful for you to ask more about what your TD means. If the supervisors are licensed clinical psychologists who have experience in assessment/treatment etc., then I don't understand the concern. Argosy, like many other programs, graduated incredibly skilled people, and those with marginal skills. I know several absolutely amazing psychologists who are Argosy grads. And I know some folks who are not skilled. Based on your question here, I cannot think of how being supervised by someone from a certain program would negatively affect your career. I wish you the best of luck.

----I have now seen some other answers to this question. I do agree that if a site has only supervisors from any one program, I would look further into it.

Last edited:
Quick question: Someone I know who has interned previously at a site I'm interested offered to "put a word in" for me because they are still very close to the TD..Not sure if this would help or hurt my chances, thoughts?

Quick question: Someone I know who has interned previously at a site I'm interested offered to "put a word in" for me because they are still very close to the TD..Not sure if this would help or hurt my chances, thoughts?

I think something worth mentioning about these types of situations. If you give your Ok to this as an applicant, you’re trusting that the person “putting in the word” is on excellent terms with the TD because once they do that, the association will be made between you and that person. That is, whatever experiences the TD had with that intern may be associated when your name is mentioned, rather than just you and your application materials.

Could be a good or bad thing, IMO.

It’s my understanding that for internship particularly, the playing field is supposed to be pretty even and objective given the time and expense everyone has put into the process. While I don’t doubt that people knowing people and word-of-mouth happens from time to time, I’m not sure that this is actually appropriate to do this, so I would caution against anyone speaking on your behalf at this point. Since you’ve already interviewed, the site has already probably ranked you or has a good sense of where you are.

Reactions: 3 users
It’s my understanding that for internship particularly, the playing field is supposed to be pretty even and objective given the time and expense everyone has put into the process. While I don’t doubt that people knowing people and word-of-mouth happens from time to time, I’m not sure that this is actually appropriate to do this, so I would caution against anyone speaking on your behalf at this point. Since you’ve already interviewed, the site has already probably ranked you or has a good sense of where you are.

Happens pretty frequently in my area of internship. Frankly the only good it may do at my site is if your application was on the cusp of being in the interview pile it might bump it into the interview pile. It doesn’t factor into our rankings at all. Unless the “word” is a cautionary tale, in which case it can bump you out.

One question - are we considered graduating from accredited internship or non-accredited internship if we started when the site was accredited (on probation) and lost the accreditation during the training year?

One question - are we considered graduating from accredited internship or non-accredited internship if we started when the site was accredited (on probation) and lost the accreditation during the training year?

“An accredited program cannot have its accreditation revoked without first being placed on “accredited, on probation” status. Revocation of accreditation occurs when the CoA, in its review of a program on “accredited, on probation” status, has evidence that the program continues to be inconsistent with the SoA.

The effective date of the revocation is the date of the CoA meeting in which the decision was made. If the program appeals the CoA's decision to revoke, and that decision is upheld, the revocation will take effect 30 days after the appeal hearing is held. Individuals completing the program after that date are not considered to have completed an accredited program.”

In short, it would be considered non-accredited. This is true for internships as well as doctoral programs. It has to be accredited on the day of completion.

Has anyone else had an exit interview where the TD gives feedback at the end of the day? Essentially telling you their impression of your strengths and weaknesses in interviewing and case discussion? :(
I had a similar experience and I found it really positive and helpful. How was it for you?

I wonder if the primacy and recency effect influences rank for sites? Thoughts?

I wonder if the primacy and recency effect influences rank for sites? Thoughts?
I had more issue with confirmation bias than anything. Had to make sure I was checking myself since I had my rankings done first based on paper, and at times this matched up with in-person. Sometimes it didn't so I had to start making sure I wasn't falling victim to the bias! This process has been "fun".

Reactions: 4 users
I had quite a few sites that I ranked lower initially that really blew my socks off! Then, I had some sites that just flat out were horrible fits. One site looked amazing on paper, but as soon as I spoke with the interns, I decided not to rank that site.

My number one remained that way through the entire process and was ranked as such.

This process is wild for sure. Only 18 more days!

Reactions: 5 users
I had quite a few sites that I ranked lower initially that really blew my socks off! Then, I had some sites that just flat out were horrible fits. One site looked amazing on paper, but as soon as I spoke with the interns, I decided not to rank that site.

My number one remained that way through the entire process and was ranked as such.

I feel the same but my 1 and 2 switched.. just barely! Definitely impatiently waiting on the 21st

My number 1 stayed my number 1, too! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Curious if anyone decided not to rank sites, and if so, how many?

Curious if anyone decided not to rank sites, and if so, how many?
I had 6 sites but 10 tracks to rank. I ended up not ranking one track because I didn’t feel like it was a good fit, and it doesn’t provide what I want out of my internship training experience.

What does it mean if a site withdrew from the match? I guess I'm curious under what circumstances that would happen. I found out when I went in to submit rankings earlier this week (finally today got an email).

What does it mean if a site withdrew from the match? I guess I'm curious under what circumstances that would happen. I found out when I went in to submit rankings earlier this week (finally today got an email).

Maybe funding ran out.

I agree with the comment above. They probably could not secure funding. It’s unfortunate timing. Hopefully it wasn’t a site that you really loved!

Does anyone have insider information on MMHC? Struggling with where to rank them...

Hi all, I'm back with anotherrrrr question :p. Is it better to rank everywhere you interviewed to make sure you match, even the places you had serious reservations about and didn't really like (but location, pay, and training oops were "okay")...rather than go into Phase Two? What are the odds I would get ANY neuropsych somewhere within 5 hrs of home in Phase Two? :eek: "I'm freaking out, man!"
1elksy.jpg

Hi! Brand new to this thread. I did the match a couple years ago, but was more of a lurker than a poster back then too haha. Currently working in the field. Best wishes to everyone in this crazy stressful process! I wanted to leave some information I thought could be useful to some of you. I recently learned something from a colleague about Utah State Hospital’s internship that sort of shook me. This person heard that they dismissed one of their interns this year for strange reasons that did not seem to warrant something so extreme and felt more personal than professional, that many on the training committee at this site generally behave somewhat erratically and irrationally, and the training environment is not supportive. Just passing along what I’ve heard and can’t give many more details than that because that’s all I know at this point. Thought this might help some of you when it comes to ranking decisions, or could be worth looking into further if you are considering this site. Sorry for the negative news! It felt important to share given how much of a difference a good versus bad internship experience makes in one's development as a psychologist.

Thank you for sharing these pearls!!!

I’m having such a hard time trying to rank my top 3. All three sites are great but two of them require me to move out of state and one of them is local. However, the sites that are out of state have some great training opportunities that I would not get at the local site. But the local site has a unique population I would get to work with, I wouldn’t have to move and I’ve heard from people is a great training site. Ahhh! I feel the sites are dead even with each other. How are y’all making the decisions regarding the order of your top 3? Any feedback would greatly help!

Hi all, I'm back with anotherrrrr question :p. Is it better to rank everywhere you interviewed to make sure you match, even the places you had serious reservations about and didn't really like (but location, pay, and training oops were "okay")...rather than go into Phase Two? What are the odds I would get ANY neuropsych somewhere within 5 hrs of home in Phase Two? :eek: "I'm freaking out, man!"
View attachment 294830
I guess it depends on what you are okay with. Would you rather scramble to meet your location needs (5 hours from home),or be somewhere for a year that you really don't like? If you don't rank some of the places and decrease your chances of matching, you will have to ask yourself if you are okay with being in Phase II.

View attachment 294830
Honestly, I would MUCH rather go through Phase II than get stuck at a program I didn’t like in Phase I. It’s just not worth it to me. If I don’t like the track or site, I’m not ranking it. Plus, there are good sites in Phase II. Maybe not neuropsych so much, but I’m sure there will be some!