Apple Stock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wal-Mart Stores said on Friday that it began selling Apple flagship iPhone 5 smartphone at a big discount in thousands of its stores.

Wal-Mart said it is selling the 16 GB Apple iPhone 5 for $127, versus an original price of $189.97. The price is valid with a two-year contract from wireless carriers Verizon , Sprint and AT&T , the retailer added.

Wal-Mart said it is also selling the 16 GB iPhone 4S and the 16 GB iPad with Retina display and WiFi at discounts.

The offers will be available for 30 days in about 3,000 of Wal-Mart's stores, which were not identified. They are not available online, according to the retailer.

Apple has focused on high-priced, premium gadgets for many years and has strictly enforced its prices with retailers and other distributors. However, a Wal-Mart spokeswoman said on Friday that the discounts were arranged with Apple.

"We worked together with them on this," the spokeswoman, Sarah Spencer, said. "They are a great partner."

Wal-Mart is pricing the iPad starting at $399, down from $499. Beginning Dec. 17 the retailer said it will throw in a $30 iTunes card.

Wal-Mart is selling the 16 GB iPhone 4S for $47, versus an original price of $89.97, it said.

Apple did not respond to a request for comment.

Members don't see this ad.

I meant that the market would clearly rise if the debt problem was treated seriously but tough choices won't be made until it's too late.

It is not at all clear that "the market would clearly rise". Cutting the debt would for a time depress economic activity. Austerity is more than just a word. Less economic activity...less corporate revenue...less revenue...less profits. Less profits...MAYBE lower stock price. Although MAYBE NOT. Nobody knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
The drive down in Apple is driven mostly by fear that its margins will decline due to increased competition. In 2012 AAPL enjoyed a gross margin of 43.8%, operating margin of 35.2%, and a 26.6% profit margin leading to a substantial 44.15 EPS last year.

If AAPL must lower its product prices in order to compete these margins will not be as significant and therefore EPS will be significantly less. For instance Dell had a gross margin of only 20.9% last year. If AAPL gross margin declined to 30% it would represent a 25 billion dollar loss of revenue (based on 2012 numbers). This could take its net income from 41.7B to 16.7B and would represent an EPS of only 17.6.

AAPL still has great growth prospects as it still doesn't have a majority market share in personal computers or smartphones for any market. Its products are still have not been fully embraced outside the US and if AAPL can change this its EPS will balloon. Unfortunately, if AAPL has another earnings miss in January and more evidence of declining margins continue then the stock could easily be trading in the 300's in February.

The drive down in Apple is driven mostly by fear that its margins will decline due to increased competition. In 2012 AAPL enjoyed a gross margin of 43.8%, operating margin of 35.2%, and a 26.6% profit margin leading to a substantial 44.15 EPS last year.

If AAPL must lower its product prices in order to compete these margins will not be as significant and therefore EPS will be significantly less. For instance Dell had a gross margin of only 20.9% last year. If AAPL gross margin declined to 30% it would represent a 25 billion dollar loss of revenue (based on 2012 numbers). This could take its net income from 41.7B to 16.7B and would represent an EPS of only 17.6.

AAPL still has great growth prospects as it still doesn't have a majority market share in personal computers or smartphones for any market. Its products are still have not been fully embraced outside the US and if AAPL can change this its EPS will balloon. Unfortunately, if AAPL has another earnings miss in January and more evidence of declining margins continue then the stock could easily be trading in the 300's in February.

Apple stock is down because Steve Jobs is dead. He was the talent at that company. When he died, I sold my stock that I had bought when I was in high school, I has about 100 shares at $18/share. I got that as a gift from an uncle. I still have my i phone 4. It is a great product.

Apple stock is down because Steve Jobs is dead. He was the talent at that company. When he died, I sold my stock that I had bought when I was in high school, I has about 100 shares at $18/share. I got that as a gift from an uncle. I still have my i phone 4. It is a great product.

Jobs left behind several years of new product designs/launches. So while Jobs is dead his company, Apple, is very much alive and doing well.

For example, the Iphone 5 is a better phone than the Iphone 4 and can be purchased today for $150.00 (with a 2 year contract).

The iPhone 5 is longer and significantly thinner than its identical-looking forerunners. This means that it's more comfortable to hold, and it practically disappears in a pocket. This is only accentuated by its aluminum back: the backs of the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 are made of glass.

The iPhone 5 could have easily been called the iPhone Air. The two older models feel like paperweights after using the incredibly light iPhone 5.

Though the pixels-per-inch (PPI) are identical, the iPhone 5 display gains an extra half-inch of real estate. This ups the resolution and shifts the aspect ratio to an oblong 16:9. Longtime iPhone users may find it strange at first, but will soon appreciate the extra room for apps, photos, and web pages.

Apple also opted for a thinner display in the new model. Combining a layer of touch sensors also brings those pixels closer to the surface. The company also boasts of 40 percent greater color saturation in the iPhone 5.

There are noticeable boosts of speed in each successive model. The A6 chip in the iPhone 5 is a screamer, breaking smartphone benchmark records. Though the A6 was originally believed to run at 1GHz, 9to5Mac and TLDToday report that it dynamically clocks itself up to 1.3GHz (it may also underclock too, to save power).

The iPhone 4S still performs well for a modern smartphone. The two-year-old iPhone 4 is a bit sluggish for 2012 standards.

The iPhone doubles the RAM of its two predecessors. This is another factor in its blazing-fast performance.

The iPhone 5 takes Apple's handset into true 4G speeds, with LTE (where available). Actual LTE download speeds can range from 8Mbps to upwards of 40Mbps, with low latency to boot. It may be faster than your home broadband connection.

The older iPhones are confined to slower 3G speeds, though AT&T likes to label the HSPA+ 14.4 in the GSM iPhone 4S as "4G." I prefer to call it "3G+": faster than other 3G, but not in the same league as LTE.

In the US, Verizon can brag of the best coverage and widest LTE footprint, AT&T promotes its faster 3G speeds and growing LTE network, and Sprint - though its LTE is in infancy - is the only carrier to offer unlimited data.

You could call the iPhone 5 the Rolex of smartphones. Its combination of lightness, thinness, performance, and beautiful design make it a significant upgrade.

One key upgrade that the iPhone 4S offered over the iPhone 4 was Siri. In addition to the faster speeds and improved camera, the virtual assistant is the top reason customers chose the 4S over its older sibling. iOS 6 adds to Siri's capabilities, letting it book dinner reservations, check movie listings, and get sports scores.

The only reason to choose the iPhone 4 over its successors is to save money. Considering that in September of 2011, you could have argued that the iPhone 4 was the best smartphone on the market, free in 2012 isn't a bad buy.

The iPhone 5 is longer and significantly thinner than its identical-looking forerunners. This means that it's more comfortable to hold, and it practically disappears in a pocket. This is only accentuated by its aluminum back: the backs of the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 are made of glass.

The iPhone 5 could have easily been called the iPhone Air. The two older models feel like paperweights after using the incredibly light iPhone 5.

Though the pixels-per-inch (PPI) are identical, the iPhone 5 display gains an extra half-inch of real estate. This ups the resolution and shifts the aspect ratio to an oblong 16:9. Longtime iPhone users may find it strange at first, but will soon appreciate the extra room for apps, photos, and web pages.

Apple also opted for a thinner display in the new model. Combining a layer of touch sensors also brings those pixels closer to the surface. The company also boasts of 40 percent greater color saturation in the iPhone 5.

There are noticeable boosts of speed in each successive model. The A6 chip in the iPhone 5 is a screamer, breaking smartphone benchmark records. Though the A6 was originally believed to run at 1GHz, 9to5Mac and TLDToday report that it dynamically clocks itself up to 1.3GHz (it may also underclock too, to save power).

The iPhone 4S still performs well for a modern smartphone. The two-year-old iPhone 4 is a bit sluggish for 2012 standards.

The iPhone doubles the RAM of its two predecessors. This is another factor in its blazing-fast performance.

The iPhone 5 takes Apple's handset into true 4G speeds, with LTE (where available). Actual LTE download speeds can range from 8Mbps to upwards of 40Mbps, with low latency to boot. It may be faster than your home broadband connection.

The older iPhones are confined to slower 3G speeds, though AT&T likes to label the HSPA+ 14.4 in the GSM iPhone 4S as "4G." I prefer to call it "3G+": faster than other 3G, but not in the same league as LTE.

In the US, Verizon can brag of the best coverage and widest LTE footprint, AT&T promotes its faster 3G speeds and growing LTE network, and Sprint - though its LTE is in infancy - is the only carrier to offer unlimited data.

You could call the iPhone 5 the Rolex of smartphones. Its combination of lightness, thinness, performance, and beautiful design make it a significant upgrade.

One key upgrade that the iPhone 4S offered over the iPhone 4 was Siri. In addition to the faster speeds and improved camera, the virtual assistant is the top reason customers chose the 4S over its older sibling. iOS 6 adds to Siri's capabilities, letting it book dinner reservations, check movie listings, and get sports scores.

The only reason to choose the iPhone 4 over its successors is to save money. Considering that in September of 2011, you could have argued that the iPhone 4 was the best smartphone on the market, free in 2012 isn't a bad buy.

Right but you have to factor in that the S3 (released last summer) is > iphone 4s and still had more capabilities than the iphone 5. An now samsung has released the Note 2 which is the most advanced smart phone to date.

The only place where apple exceeds these other mentioned products is its jnterface between other apple/mac products.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Right but you have to factor in that the S3 (released last summer) is > iphone 4s and still had more capabilities than the iphone 5. An now samsung has released the Note 2 which is the most advanced smart phone to date.

The only place where apple exceeds these other mentioned products is its jnterface between other apple/mac products.

I prefer the Iphone 5 for its lightweight and slim design over the Samsung Products. That said, the SAmsung S3 and note 2 are excellent phones but too heavy and large for me.

The iphone 5 is the best iphone ever and that suites my needs just fine.

samsung products and android products are ****. And i am NO apple fan boy but the iphone interface works without stuttering. I have an android and its 6 months old and it is the biggest piece of crap going. I wouldnt be able to give this thing away, yet i see apple iphones that are 3 years old fetching 2-300 dollars on ebay. I may go to walmart and pick up an iphone for 47 dollars

samsung products and android products are ****. And i am NO apple fan boy but the iphone interface works without stuttering. I have an android and its 6 months old and it is the biggest piece of crap going. I wouldnt be able to give this thing away, yet i see apple iphones that are 3 years old fetching 2-300 dollars on ebay. I may go to walmart and pick up an iphone for 47 dollars

The iphone 4s for $47 at Walmart is the best phone on the market for under $50:D

IMHO, the slim design and super light weight iphone 5 is worth the extra $100.00 Then again, I have that extra $100

The iphone 4s for $47 at Walmart is the best phone on the market for under $50:D

IMHO, the slim design and super light weight iphone 5 is worth the extra $100.00 Then again, I have that extra $100

The 5 is a little too tall. Having that camera lens peak out of my scrub top pocket makes people feel like they're being watched with a poorly hidden camera.

Members don't see this ad :)

the iphone 5 does not work on the pre paid market. I m not going under contract ever again.

How much do you save by not being under contract? With taxes going way up my phone is a business expense (39.6 percent next year)

prepaid: 80 dollars plus tax.

post paid: total including tax 170 or so i bet...

The new IPOD nano is a step back. 6th gen is so much smaller and useful IMO. What were they thinking?

new-ipod-nano-vs-old-ipod-nano-comparison-640x480.jpg

People want big music in a small package. The 7th gen doesn't even have a clip like the 6th does. Just my opinion, but they really missed the fact that a lot of people use them when doing sports and as such, more compact is better.... and the clip is so convenient.

If I could avoid a single stock, it would be the hottest stock in the hottest industry, the one that gets the most favourable publicity, the one that every investor hears about in the car pool or on the commuter train - and succumbing to the social pressure, often buys.
- Peter Lynch

Im just curious, what device do you have? Ive had no problems at all(galaxy s3) with my phone. My tv is a sumsung and with allshare I can stream directly from phone to tv.

If I could avoid a single stock, it would be the hottest stock in the hottest industry, the one that gets the most favourable publicity, the one that every investor hears about in the car pool or on the commuter train - and succumbing to the social pressure, often buys.
- Peter Lynch

Apple is down $200 from its high. It's not very hot any longer. In fact, its gone ice cold.

2 million over the weekend in China. Not too shabby. And now AAPL is getting closer and closer to 500 per share (currently $503).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/12/17/iphone-5-sales-china/1774367/

I'm a buyer here pretty soon.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Looked up historical dates of Dec 18th until Dec 26th on Yahoo finance...It has me optimistic about a good run this week. Let's go, Santa Claus rally. I'm not talking AAPL, because it looks broken right now, and will likely not recover for some time. I'm in a bunch of ETFs though.

I hope there's a fix to the dividend tax increase. Mine are mostly in tax deferred accounts, but the principal might get killed if people (AARP types) start moving away from income investing.

Last edited:
I admit it. I bought yesterday. Trying to catch the falling knife.
It's way off the 52 week high but way above the 52 week low. Time will tell.

pullback is a christmas gift

I'd be looking @ Crus again. Dropped from 45. On sale for 28. 11% up in 2 days. Outperforming AAPL at this point.

Market making a nice run this week. If the market goes up significantly tomorrow, I'm booking profits. Otherwise, I am selling Thursday. I'm thinking next week will not be a good one, as people profit-take before year end. Also, I have my doubts about a fiscal cliff deal before the end of the year, if it doesn't happen by Thursday. I wanna be prepared for a 5% correction late late December to early January, before the market heads back upward for a couple months. Let's see how this plays out. What do you guys think?

Market making a nice run this week. If the market goes up significantly tomorrow, I'm booking profits. Otherwise, I am selling Thursday. I'm thinking next week will not be a good one, as people profit-take before year end. Also, I have my doubts about a fiscal cliff deal before the end of the year, if it doesn't happen by Thursday. I wanna be prepared for a 5% correction late late December to early January, before the market heads back upward for a couple months. Let's see how this plays out. What do you guys think?

Not sure DM. Last two days have been good.
Nothing wrong with putting in a little. I have been (except for apple and a couple others). Now that the market is heading back up, I'm more inclined to sit on the sidelines. I expect a bullish ralley once the fiscal cliff is addressed.... it may be short-lived however.
I also have been taking home my dividend profits.

I agree with you. Thursday is my day as well. I told Doze I'm selling equities/funds and moving into safer investments. That said, I'm ready to jump back in anytime we get a solid 7 percent pullback or more

I agree with you. Thursday is my day as well. I told Doze I'm selling equities/funds and moving into safer investments. That said, I'm ready to jump back in anytime we get a solid 7 percent pullback or more

Seems just as likely that Friday a fiscal cliff deal is announced and you miss some big gains.

I'm done jumping. My life is so much simpler now.

Seems just as likely that Friday a fiscal cliff deal is announced and you miss some big gains.

I'm done jumping. My life is so much simpler now.

Doze explained to me I'm overexposed in equities. I'm not leaving the market but rather scaling back to 50 percent exposure.

I ended up selling a bunch at market open. I think much of the upside of a fiscal cliff deal is already factored in, although there may be one more good day of solid gains before the end of the year. I think there is much greater chance of the market going down, than up, over the next couple weeks. Looking to get back in once the volatility of a fiscal cliff deal settles out. Optimistic about next year, overall.

Sucks for those who bought Apple at its peak.

Sucks for those who bought Apple at its peak.

I agree. Apple may go back up to $650-670 next year but I'm a seller near $700 and not a buyer. Why? My iPhone 5 is good but so is the Samsung S3. In addition, the android operating system is owned by Google and I'm hearing rumors Google is going to put a serious hurt on Apple in 12-24 months.

Apple is so dependent on its phone for sales/growth that any leap forward by google in VoIP for cell phones will cause apple's market share to tumble. Eventually, texting and cell phone calls will cost $8.00 per month and data plans will run about $30. Google wants to do for cell phones what cable then magic jack did for land lines.

I don't want to be trying to dump Apple in 2014 once the battle to the bottom heats up. Apple may be better than Samsung or the X phone but how much better? I see cell phones selling for $50 with a $39.99 unlimited contract or $150 without any contract at all. Either way Apple won't maintain these margins in cell phones without losing significant market share. More likely, Apple has to cut its profit per phone by 50-60 percent at some point.

Short term I'm a bull on Apple (3-6 months)
Long term I'm a bear on Apple (9-12 months)

I agree. Apple may go back up to $650-670 next year but I'm a seller near $700 and not a buyer. Why? My iPhone 5 is good but so is the Samsung S3. In addition, the android operating system is owned by Google and I'm hearing rumors Google is going to put a serious hurt on Apple in 12-24 months.

Apple is so dependent on its phone for sales/growth that any leap forward by google in VoIP for cell phones will cause apple's market share to tumble. Eventually, texting and cell phone calls will cost $8.00 per month and data plans will run about $30. Google wants to do for cell phones what cable then magic jack did for land lines.

I don't want to be trying to dump Apple in 2014 once the battle to the bottom heats up. Apple may be better than Samsung or the X phone but how much better? I see cell phones selling for $50 with a $39.99 unlimited contract or $150 without any contract at all. Either way Apple won't maintain these margins in cell phones without losing significant market share. More likely, Apple has to cut its profit per phone by 50-60 percent at some point.

YOu make it sound like apple is resting on its laurels. Do you think they are in bed sleeping? The samsung phones are garbage!!! Apple phones are nice!!

Gotta' git me some dat gold! Lowest price since August.
photo-84.jpg

and platinum.

As someone with no knowledge of investing whatsoever, why do people go for coins rather than ingots? Seems like you waste investment money on all the machinery that goes into making those rather than just getting the refined material

As someone with no knowledge of investing whatsoever, why do people go for coins rather than ingots? Seems like you waste investment money on all the machinery that goes into making those rather than just getting the refined material

Coins are easy to buy, sell and trade. You also get some of the coin value back when you sell the coin. I think buying one ounce gold US mint coins makes sense.

As an investor, 9-12 months is very short term. Long term is more in the 5-20 year time frame.

Obama on Meet the Press today at 11 am ET, to discuss last minute Fiscal Cliff deals.

As an investor, 9-12 months is very short term. Long term is more in the 5-20 year time frame.

Individual Equity Trading especially tech companies can be harrowing at best.
Good luck with that "long term" view but just remember what happened to Wang Computer or more recently the performance of Applied Materials or JDSU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAyFP_4EvI8

Individual Equity Trading especially tech companies can be harrowing at best.
Good luck with that "long term" view but just remember what happened to Wang Computer or more recently the performance of Applied Materials or JDSU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAyFP_4EvI8

I'm a value investor. If a company doesn't have a very long and very profitable history, I don't even look at it. Over the short term anything can happen, over the long term I can nearly guarantee you that companies like Coca-Cola and Nike and Proctor&Gamble will be earning lots of profits. The key is buying their stocks when the price is relatively cheap.

I'm a value investor. If a company doesn't have a very long and very profitable history, I don't even look at it. Over the short term anything can happen, over the long term I can nearly guarantee you that companies like Coca-Cola and Nike and Proctor&Gamble will be earning lots of profits. The key is buying their stocks when the price is relatively cheap.

Well, this means you should be avoiding those stocks right now as they don't look cheap.
Perhaps, when the GOP decides not to raise the debt ceiling because Obama won't cut spending will give you another entry point as I expect a nice 5-7 percent market decline.