Application Question...Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Auburnpremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to submit my AMCAS next month, but i really only want to apply to one state school this year (it's located in my state). If i don't get in, then i would like to apply to a wider array of medical schools next year (including re-applying to my first choice).Does anyone know if this would hurt me in front of an admissions committee? I've been told that it will make me look like I really don't want to be a doctor that bad since i'm only applying to one place, but the truth of it is, i don't feel that a one year delay will really affect my life that badly. I wouldn't want to apply to several schools this year, not get into my first choice, and then drudge over whether i should accept the other offers that i might get. Plus, if i turn down a school this year, then i would've burned a bridge and hurt my chances of ever getting into that particular school in the future, right? I would rather not have to apply to any other schools until next year if i don't get in ('cause then i'll be desperate). I have a 3.92 GPA with a 27Q MCAT (I'm retaking in Aug), and i feel like i have a pretty good chance of getting in. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Auburnpremed said:
I'm about to submit my AMCAS next month, but i really only want to apply to one state school this year (it's located in my state). If i don't get in, then i would like to apply to a wider array of medical schools next year (including re-applying to my first choice).Does anyone know if this would hurt me in front of an admissions committee? I've been told that it will make me look like I really don't want to be a doctor that bad since i'm only applying to one place, but the truth of it is, i don't feel that a one year delay will really affect my life that badly. I wouldn't want to apply to several schools this year, not get into my first choice, and then drudge over whether i should accept the other offers that i might get. Plus, if i turn down a school this year, then i would've burned a bridge and hurt my chances of ever getting into that particular school in the future, right? I would rather not have to apply to any other schools until next year if i don't get in ('cause then i'll be desperate). I have a 3.92 GPA with a 27Q MCAT (I'm retaking in Aug), and i feel like i have a pretty good chance of getting in. Does anyone have any advice for me?

I'm pretty sure this would not be the wisest course of action. But if its what you want to do...

The ability of and AdCom to see which schools you have applied to has been debated before. Do a search if you are interested in seeing the 'back-and-forth' of SDN user's opinions on the matter.

The bottom line is: if adcoms don't see where else you are applying, it won't matter. The only way it might come up in the future is if a school specifically asks (in an interview or a secondary) if you have applied to medical school before.

Ask LizzyM. She might be a good resource if you can't find the answer in a search.

Auburnpremed said:

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply Early Decision this year!!! That will solve any problem you might have in front of the comittee.

I agree apply Early Decision, that's exactly what it's for.

docmode said:
I agree apply Early Decision, that's exactly what it's for.

I have to bring my MCAT up to a 30 to be eligible for early decision at this school. Thus, i don't have the option to do so this year.