Application timeline question- Should I apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zmhs95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I'm currently on my 3rd gap year and planning to apply to med school this cycle. I'm interested in applying to both MD and DO schools, but I'm planning on taking the MCAT near end of August/beginning of September. I've been averaging 505/506 on NextStep practice exams, but want to wait until I'm scoring closer to 509/510 to take it. I am planning to submit my primary app by the end of the first week of August. My transcripts are already received by AMCAS and I have most of my letters of rec and my committee letter finished. I know the timing of the app is important, but with everything going on with the coronavirus, I was wondering if the following would work without putting me at a severe disadvantage:

- submit my primary within the first week of August and submit it to one throw-away school so that my app gets verified
- have my MCAT score back by mid-September
- while waiting for my score to come back, I'll pre-write all my secondaries
- once I receive my MCAT, add all the schools I'm interested in to my app and submit my secondaries by end of September making my app complete

Some background of my app:

- 3.6cGPA, 3.4 sGPA; neuroscience major
- lots of shadowing, research, volunteering, etc.
- residing in NJ so mostly planning to apply to MD and DO schools in NJ, PA/Phili, NY, Boston.

My two main concerns over this is:
- how long does it take for med schools to mark your app as complete once you submit secondaries and everything else?
- if I submit my primary app to one throw-away school but somehow end up not applying this cycle, will I be considered a re-applicant even if I didn't finish applying/submit secondaries?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

So I'm currently on my 3rd gap year and planning to apply to med school this cycle. I'm interested in applying to both MD and DO schools, but I'm planning on taking the MCAT near end of August/beginning of September. I've been averaging 505/506 on NextStep practice exams, but want to wait until I'm scoring closer to 509/510 to take it. I am planning to submit my primary app by the end of the first week of August. My transcripts are already received by AMCAS and I have most of my letters of rec and my committee letter finished. I know the timing of the app is important, but with everything going on with the coronavirus, I was wondering if the following would work without putting me at a severe disadvantage:

- submit my primary within the first week of August and submit it to one throw-away school so that my app gets verified
- once I receive my MCAT, add all the schools I'm interested in to my app and submit my secondaries by end of September making my app complete

- residing in NJ so mostly planning to apply to MD and DO schools in NJ, PA/Phili, NY, Boston.

- how long does it take for med schools to mark your app as complete once you submit secondaries and everything else?
- if I submit my primary app to one throw-away school but somehow end up not applying this cycle, will I be considered a re-applicant even if I didn't finish applying/submit secondaries?

Thank you!

do you have work/ECs lined up? I personally would not apply if you won’t have an MCAT until mid September at the earliest

do you have work/ECs lined up? I personally would not apply if you won’t have an MCAT until mid September at the earliest

I was working as a medical assistant, but the office closed in March due to corona so I don't have anything lined up right now. Would you suggest applying to D.O. schools at least? I really don't want to add a 4th or even 5th gap year, due to personal and financial reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would apply this cycle regardless because next cycle is expected to have more applicants due to the difficulties this cycle...so statistically your chances this cycle would be better

I don’t think the timeline would matter as schools will be more lenient with the pandemic. Goro has said being done by October even in early October is normal for this cycle

One thing to note, I do not know how long it would take your app to be verified. If you submit it in August, you’re expecting it to be verified in about four weeks...regardless, by October or in October, you should be fine

If you apply to a throwaway and then wait until next cycle, you would only be a reapplication at the throwaway as you did not apply to any other schools

Hello,

Thank you!
Have you taken any AAMC practice exams?

1. Depends on the school and how they process your application. At some schools you may be marked complete quickly while others may take a while. Remember, applications are not necessarily processed in the order they are received but based on a variety of factors. I submitted my secondary in September last year and was invited to an interview two weeks later.
2. No, you are only considered a reapplicatnt to schools you list on your primary application. In this scenario you would be a reapplicant at your throwaway school. I always recommend having a throwaway school like WSU or UNM which do not consider OOS applicants w/o ties to the state.

I would apply this cycle regardless because next cycle is expected to have more applicants due to the difficulties this cycle...so statistically your chances this cycle would be better

I don’t think the timeline would matter as schools will be more lenient with the pandemic. Goro has said being done by October even in early October is normal for this cycle

One thing to note, I do not know how long it would take your app to be verified. If you submit it in August, you’re expecting it to be verified in about four weeks...regardless, by October or in October, you should be fine

If you apply to a throwaway and then wait until next cycle, you would only be a reapplication at the throwaway as you did not apply to any other schools

Where did you hear that about next cycle

Where did you hear that about next cycle
Doesn't matter-- it's irrelevant now. That was just speculation from 4 months ago. We actually have some data now. This cycle is PLENTY competitive! :cool:

Reactions: 1 user