Application Timeline

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Metatemujin, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Metatemujin

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi. This is my 2nd time applying and there is a very good chance I will not get in. I am currently pondering the carribean as an alternative. My primary concern is that even if I manage to do well in terms of both grades and board scores, would the fact I went to a carribean med school keep me out of competitive residencies (like neurosurg. or opthalmology)? Yes, I know about the post bac. alternatives and also the DO route, but for reasons relating to time and so on, I do not feel these routes will be good for me. In the hypothetical event that my grades will be in the top 10 percent of the class, and my board scores will be in the top 5 percent, would I still be rejected from competitive residencies? Thanks a lot.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Some residency programs outright reject non-LCME applicants. Not much you can do about that.

A degree from a Carib school will exlude you from some residency programs no matter what the scores.

There are a few residency specialties that are difficult for LCME students (derm, urology, ortho etc.) but the vast majority of competitive specialties are not impossible but you will need to stand out. That means higher scores than other applicants and EXCELLENT LORs from leaders in that specialty.