Applicationstation background check?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

London22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else get this? Just received an email and when I logged in to the applicationstation site and it has a $150 background check fee.
The part that confuses me is the email said I was being sent it because I was "conditionally accepted" to a school however it doesn't say what school, and none of the schools on the list of who use the service have interviewed me.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else get this? Just received an email and when I logged in to the applicationstation site and it has a $150 background check fee.
The part that confuses me is the email said I was being sent it because I was "conditionally accepted" to a school however it doesn't say what school, and none of the schools on the list of who use the service have interviewed me.
Where? In optomcas?

Where? In optomcas?

Not directly in the Optomcas application. It's a separate background check thing you log into called Certiphi on a website called applicationstation. Apparently the price varies based on where you live and what's on your record but I don't get why mine is so expensive?? Then again I live in an expensive city...but still I have nothing on my background except 2 speeding tickets from like 4+ years ago that were both appealed and removed.

This is the list on OptomCas:
Participating Institutions for 2017–2018
  • Midwestern University Arizona College of Optometry
  • New England College of Optometry
  • Northeastern State University – Oklahoma College of Optometry
  • The Ohio State University College of Optometry
  • Pacific University College of Optometry
  • Southern California College of Optometry at Marshall B. Ketchum University
  • Southern College of Optometry
  • State University of New York State College of Optometry
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Optometry
  • University of California, Berkeley School of Optometry
  • University of Houston College of Optometry
  • University of Missouri at St. Louis College of Optometry

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man lol so I figured out where I got confused.

Everyone who was accepted to a school off this list ends up receiving this "conditional acceptance background check" email. Unless you're a murderer or have DUIs on your record and some other crazy stuff on there, then you will be all cleared.
I was actually accepted at NECO on the list. I thought there was a typo when I saw the "conditional" thing and freaked out for nothing...LOL but it doesn't literally mean conditional acceptance. Just that the acceptance is contingent off the final check at these schools.

:whistle:

Oh man lol so I figured out where I got confused.

Everyone who was accepted to a school off this list ends up receiving this "conditional acceptance background check" email. Unless you're a murderer or have DUIs on your record and some other crazy stuff on there, then you will be all cleared.
I was actually accepted at NECO on the list. I thought there was a typo when I saw the "conditional" thing and freaked out for nothing...LOL but it doesn't literally mean conditional acceptance. Just that the acceptance is contingent off the final check at these schools.

:whistle:
Hey! I know its been two years but did you receive this before you received an acceptance from neco?

Not directly in the Optomcas application. It's a separate background check thing you log into called Certiphi on a website called applicationstation. Apparently the price varies based on where you live and what's on your record but I don't get why mine is so expensive?? Then again I live in an expensive city...but still I have nothing on my background except 2 speeding tickets from like 4+ years ago that were both appealed and removed.

This is the list on OptomCas:
Participating Institutions for 2017–2018
  • Midwestern University Arizona College of Optometry
  • New England College of Optometry
  • Northeastern State University – Oklahoma College of Optometry
  • The Ohio State University College of Optometry
  • Pacific University College of Optometry
  • Southern California College of Optometry at Marshall B. Ketchum University
  • Southern College of Optometry
  • State University of New York State College of Optometry
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Optometry
  • University of California, Berkeley School of Optometry
  • University of Houston College of Optometry
  • University of Missouri at St. Louis College of Optometry
I asked them why it varied too and they said it is based on the state? I don't think it is what is actually on your record. I did one for UAB and it was 50 i think...maybe thatsg because I live in rural florida and the school is Alabama...but yeah I would maybe recommend asking their customer service they were very kind!