Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally got my first acceptance :D Drexel University:thumbup:

Just waiting on the other schools I applied to then pick and choose :laugh:

Accepted: Drexel
Rejected: Emory, UMich
Waiting: Yale, Columbia, UMinn, BU, UTSPH, GWU, SUNY Albany, UIC, UMass, UPitt, Colorado.

Yes, I applied to a bunch of schools since GPA was 2.9, Post-Bac: 3.2(though 3.6+ in psy/social classes and I applied to Health Education/Promotion) and 156V/155Q GRE.:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This afternoon (Sunday) I got this email from the director of the public health department, that I am applying to, at Emory Does this
mean an acceptance? By the way, my Admission Decision is not yet available on OPUS.

"Subject: Congratulations

I just read your excellent application to Rollins School of Public Health. I am impressed by your accomplishments at your age!

Please advise if I can answer any questions...or if you would like to Skype or phone re: our program. I very much look forward to meeting you."

Ps: I am 20 years old and a current college senior.

This afternoon (Sunday) I got this email from the director of the public health department, that I am applying to, at Emory Does this
mean an acceptance? By the way, my Admission Decision is not yet available on OPUS.

"Subject: Congratulations

I just read your excellent application to Rollins School of Public Health. I am impressed by your accomplishments at your age!

Please advise if I can answer any questions...or if you would like to Skype or phone re: our program. I very much look forward to meeting you."

Ps: I am 20 years old and a current college senior.

Looks really promising to me! Definitely respond to them, regardless if you have any questions or not. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people get some type of assistance at Yale if you've submitted your financial information by the deadline (although, I don't believe there is funding for international students). However, I think if you are offered a scholarship, you would have received that news with your admissions notification. I know I did and so did other people who received actual scholarships. (That doesn't mean you won't receive some other type of funding that isn't loan based).

Not necessarily. I was admitted to Yale a month ago and only just recently received information regarding a scholarship I received. It definitely is not just upon acceptance, so see if you can follow up regarding funding with Yale directly.

Thanks for the response Epiwin! I'm going to contact the financial aid office and see if they have any money for me :)
Are u going to the open house next month?

Hi everyone,
I applied to mph schools a little bit late (SOPHAS submitted around Jan 2) and most schools told me it was complete around February 10th. I haven't heard back from any of the schools-- Does anyone know if that means bad news, especially for schools with rolling admissions like Yale?

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

Applied for Epidemiology

Applied: BU, Columbia, USC, UCLA, Berkeley, LLU
Accepted: BU, USC, LLU
Waiting: Columbia, UCLA, Berk
Rejected: None so far

Having sucha tough time deciding. Leaning towards USC. BU is a great school but I'm based in Cali, so figured networks and stuff would be strengthened by a cali school?

greenseeking, for schools with rolling admissions its best to get those apps in ASAP. for schools with a final deadline (most were dec- feb), as long as you're in before the deadline, youre good to go.

Has anyone heard/know when we will hear from HSPH? I applied to the 80 credit SM program in Society, Human Development, and Health. Thanks!

Applied for Epidemiology

Applied: BU, Columbia, USC, UCLA, Berkeley, LLU
Accepted: BU, USC, LLU
Waiting: Columbia, UCLA, Berk
Rejected: None so far

Having sucha tough time deciding. Leaning towards USC. BU is a great school but I'm based in Cali, so figured networks and stuff would be strengthened by a cali school?

If I were planning to live in California after grad school, I would stay and go to grad school there, especially if it was a good program and it matched my career goals. Like you said, you can network more easily and intern or volunteer at organizations in the area that you are interested in working for after you graduate. You also don't have to worry about traveling/living back and forth between the East and West Coasts and all the $$$ you would spend on doing that.

I moved to Boston a year and a half ago, and I am staying here for my education, since I plan on living in this area for the rest of my life. So it makes more sense for me to go to Tufts or BU (they are also strong programs, especially BU, so that helps too!). But that works best for me - your mileage may vary ;) If you are up in the air on where you want to live after grad school, then it doesn't matter which grad school you go to....Also, I'm sure you will find plenty of people on this board who moved out of their geographic location, went to grad school in a different state, and then moved back home and found great job opportunities regardless. As long as you have a solid academic and work background, then you shouldn't have a problem finding work. But if networking is your concern, then stay in California, as staying would be the easiest route to network in your area. But again, it's really based on what works best for you.

Good luck! :luck:

Not necessarily. I was admitted to Yale a month ago and only just recently received information regarding a scholarship I received. It definitely is not just upon acceptance, so see if you can follow up regarding funding with Yale directly.

Does anyone know if submitting a supplemental application late affect financial aid received?

Members don't see this ad :)
fourandtwo: When you say supplemental application, what do you mean? The Yale financial aid application? If so, I know people who didn't get financial aid if they submitted their financial applications after Yale's deadline. If it is just info for your regular application, I wouldn't worry about it. I didn't get my application in until the deadline. However, you can always email and ask if you are worried about it.

Epi 2014--to clarify regarding scholarships--merit scholarships, not based on financial need, are usually awarded with admissions notification. Financial aid--sometimes referred to as scholarships or grants, are part of your financial aid package (which is completely based on need). It is free money so it doesn't really matter what it is called (as long as it doesn't say loan :) )--just depends on the timing of when you get the news. However, it is possible they are doing things different this year or different for EMD. Either way, I wouldn't stress about it as they seem pretty generous.

Has anyone heard/know when we will hear from HSPH? I applied to the 80 credit SM program in Society, Human Development, and Health. Thanks!

I think they go out on Fridays, starting last week, so there will likely be a batch of decisions going out this Friday.

Stats
GPA: 3.3 from top liberal arts college. Neuroscience major on premed track. 20 year old senior, graduating in May.
GRE: 160Q 155V 4.0AW
Experience:
Independently initiated and carried environmental health project in West Africa (two summers ago)
reproductive health internship in West Africa
Research on contraceptive prevalence for 2 semesters
Safe site ie condom distributor for Advocates for Youth on campus
Residential Assistant and Teaching Assistant
President and member of a few clubs
Past hospital volunteering experience etc

Bonus (maybe?): International female student, multilingual, lived/live in 4 countries

Applied: Columbia (EHS), Yale + UMichigan + Drexel ( Health Policy and Management), UW + BU + Emory + NYU + GWU + USF (Global/Intl Health), UT Houston (Health Services), Washington U + McGill (General Track) .... Phew! SOPHAS started mailing out my apps on 01/24

Accepted: BU (Intl Health) w/ merit award 02/16, Emory(Global Health Practice!) 02/20, UMich (invited to campus for interview)

Rejected: UW (Global Health Metrics but recommended for review for General track)

Waiting: Ten others! and I will be sending an app to a Program in Paris.

Phew! I applied to so many schools because I am insecure about getting in without some post baccalaureate experience. I also need financial aid but my international status makes me ineligible :(

Last edited:
Stats
GPA: 3.3 from top liberal arts college. Neuroscience major on premed track. 20 year old senior, graduating in May.
GRE: 160Q 155V 4.0AW
Experience:
Independently initiated and carried environmental health project in West Africa (two summers ago)
reproductive health internship in West Africa
Research on contraceptive prevalence for 2 semesters
Safe site ie condom distributor for Advocates for Youth on campus
Residential Assistant and Teaching Assistant
President and member of a few clubs
Past hospital volunteering experience etc

Bonus (maybe?): International female student, multilingual, lived/live in 4 countries

Applied: Columbia (EHS), Yale + UMichigan + Drexel ( Health Policy and Management, UW + BU + Emory + NYU + GWU + USF (Global/Intl Health), UT Houston (Health Services), Washington U + McGill (General Track) .... Phew! SOPHAS started mailing out my app on 01/24

Accepted: BU w/ merit award 02/16, Emory(Global Health Practice!) 02/20, UMich (invited to campus for interview)
Rejected: UW (Global Health Metrics but recommended for review for General track)

Waiting: Ten others! and I will sending an app to a Program in Paris.

Phew! I applied to so many schools because I am insecure about getting in without some post baccalaureate experience. I also need financial aid but my international status makes ineligible :(

Wow, MPHplease, so many schools you applied to! You must have spent a lot on fees :( I hope it's worth it though. You have some great experience, so you are bound to get into an excellent program. Good luck!!! :xf:

(PS: I noticed SOPHAS mailed your application on the exact date they mailed mine as well...I hope BU responds to me soon too then!!!)

@Kalla. Indeed, I'm afraid to calculate how much but it is >$1000 dollars. This process has used up my RA paychecks :( hoping for the best.

Which concentration at BU did you apply to?

Social and Behavioral Sciences (MPH) - BU's my top choice, so here's hoping for the best for both of us! :)

Right there with you, my friend. Crossing my fingers.

Just got another acceptance email from UPitt :D

Thanks for the info, Jamiefrances!

No problem! I just found out too, so I thought I should share. Guessing from last year's accepted 2011 thread, they send out acceptances around the 16th/17th/18th of Feb.-- whichever falls on a Friday-- and then send them out each Friday after that, up until the date approaches their admitted student day in march.

I just got my acceptance letter today for the MPH health services management concentration at Emory! It's soooo expensive but I'm very excited!!! :soexcited:

I gotta vent...
the wait is killllllling me!

Phew. Thank you for letting me get that out of my system.

The wait is killing me too! All day at work I was thinking about a decision letter, but when I came home, nothing for me! :( Oh BU, tomorrow it will be 3 weeks since you processed my application, when will you get back to me???

Waiting on 2 others, but since I was accepted into my second choice (Tufts), I'm really just preoccupied on BU now...oh well... ;)

I gotta vent...
the wait is killllllling me!

Phew. Thank you for letting me get that out of my system.

I feel the same way...and I'm sure most everyone else on here does, too!

Stupid Mardi Gras is delaying my decision from Tulane :mad:

The only bookmarks on my internet browser are honestly the login pages for each public health school, SOPHAS, and this forum. At least typing makes it look like I'm working.

The only bookmarks on my internet browser are honestly the login pages for each public health school, SOPHAS, and this forum. At least typing makes it look like I'm working.

HAHAH I'm the exact same Epiwin lol

I feel you guys. Harvard emailed me yesterday saying to expect a decision on Friday. It seems like they typically send out acceptances this early in the decision process, but my stats are so poor that I'm expecting a denial. Either way, though, now that I know when it's coming I'm going crazy...

Same for me, too! That is so funny. Whenever I'm on SDN, I tell my family that I'm busy with "graduate school research".

I feel you guys. Harvard emailed me yesterday saying to expect a decision on Friday. It seems like they typically send out acceptances this early in the decision process, but my stats are so poor that I'm expecting a denial. Either way, though, now that I know when it's coming I'm going crazy...

Hi Jamiefrances- what program did you apply for? I am so anxious to hear back!

Like everyone else, I can't stop obsessing over these forums/gradcafe. I'm going to need a hobby when this is all over with all the time that will be freed up.

Hi Jamiefrances- what program did you apply for? I am so anxious to hear back!

Like everyone else, I can't stop obsessing over these forums/gradcafe. I'm going to need a hobby when this is all over with all the time that will be freed up.

I applied to the SM for epi. I'm pretty sure I'm only getting a decision so soon because I nagged them so much and my GPA is so poor, so I'm an easy 'deny'.

If it helps, I submitted in October, but asked them to hold my app for my fall transcript, so they actually completed me in mid January.

I know! I'm going crazy, and I work in my undergrad admission office, meaning I have a lot of computer time to anxiously check emails and SDN... Yeah, I'm going to go crazy waiting forr Friday, even though I'm pretty sure it's going to be a "You're denied, leave us alone now" email.

I have an interview with Hopkins on Monday!

Thanks for your response Jamiefrances! I applied to the SD program in Epidemiology (nero-psych) but I don't have a masters degree so I asked to be considered for the SM in epi as well.

Good luck! I hope you hear some good news on Friday.

Thanks for your response Jamiefrances! I applied to the SD program in Epidemiology (nero-psych) but I don't have a masters degree so I asked to be considered for the SM in epi as well.

Good luck! I hope you hear some good news on Friday.

Oh, that's awesome. I was looking at that program because my undergrad degree is Neuroscience, but I didn't think I had a chance with my GPA/lack of experience. Good luck, I hope you hear good news as well!

GPA: 3.62 for all upper division coursework, 3.42 overall, from Vassar College
Degree: Political Science, focus in International Politics
Experience: Founder, President, and CEO of maternal and child health nonprofit working in Uganda for the past four years, with grants awarded from many U.S. foundations

Applied: Johns Hopkins, UNC (Maternal and Child Health), Emory (Global Health, Reproductive Health Concentration), UC Berkeley (MCH), George Washington (GH, MCH Certificate), Tulane (Global MCH)
Accepted: All
Rejected: None

But I haven't heard anything yet on financial aid. Theoretically, Emory should be contacting me about it in the next week, but does anyone know about the other schools and when (approximately) their decisions are made? I have been working as the bread winner for my family (with 2 kiddos!), so financial aid would be a super nice cherry on the admissions cake. Any ideas?!?!?!

Congrats to everyone!! :)

:D
Hi, Finally got this email I had been waiting for.
Accepted at Hopkins. Sigh of relief. The wait almost killed me.
No talk of scholarship in the link on application portal.

Just got my acceptance from USF Global Health...now just waiting on Hopkins

I saw on gradcafe survey that someone was accepted to the biostats masters at Columbia today! Hopefully that means acceptances will be going out starting today/tomorrow. Who knows? I hope so because, I too am tired of the wait.

Guys, How many of you with acceptances from other schools are waiting on Harvard.?

Last edited:
Understand what you are going through. Best of luck for fellowships, you have an awesome profile and seem like a well deserving candidate.

Hopefully we all get to hear soon.

GPA: 3.62 for all upper division coursework, 3.42 overall, from Vassar College
Degree: Political Science, focus in International Politics
Experience: Founder, President, and CEO of maternal and child health nonprofit working in Uganda for the past four years, with grants awarded from many U.S. foundations

Applied: Johns Hopkins, UNC (Maternal and Child Health), Emory (Global Health, Reproductive Health Concentration), UC Berkeley (MCH), George Washington (GH, MCH Certificate), Tulane (Global MCH)
Accepted: All
Rejected: None

But I haven't heard anything yet on financial aid. Theoretically, Emory should be contacting me about it in the next week, but does anyone know about the other schools and when (approximately) their decisions are made? I have been working as the bread winner for my family (with 2 kiddos!), so financial aid would be a super nice cherry on the admissions cake. Any ideas?!?!?!

Congrats to everyone!! :)

Guys, How many of you with acceptances from other schools are waiting on Harvard.?

I am, got an acceptance from Yale CDE a few weeks ago - but I haven't heard from any of the others (Harvard (SM), Columbia (MPH), JHSPH (MHS))..this wait is excruciating.

Just got an e-mail saying my decision status is available, but there is no link on the website! so frustrating! will have to wait until tomorrow for an answer :(

jonsnow88 - did you get an email from columbia by any chance. I just did and I can't seem to find the link either :/

got into columbia! epi with chronic disease!

The Columbia email and application check worked fine for me!

It worked alright for me! Lets do this now:

Applied: University of Michigan, UCLA, UC Berkeley, Columbia, Harvard, BU, Emory
Accepted: UC Berkeley, Columbia, Emory, BU
Rejected: University of Michigan
Waiting: Harvard, UCLA

Last edited:
I wasn't able to find the Columbia acceptance decision link either :(

I really want to know!!!

Congrats!

For those who got accepted to Columbia, when did you apply and when did Sophas mail out your application? Thanks!

Last edited: