Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys,
I'm finally in at UNC - MCH Department

So far
Applied: JHU, UNC, Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia, Emory
Accepted: UNC (MCH), Berkeley (MCH), Emory (Global Health)
Rejections: None so far.

Members don't see this ad.

bummer! can you let us know which programs did you apply for?

I applied to Policy and Management. I tought that being a physician was going to be easy instead... however they told me that the acceptance rate of international students is very low, about 15% last year in this program... good luck to you

Yes it is pretty crazy! But I had a friend who applied around the same time last year and she didn't hear back from them until March! She's currently there now, but my top choice was Emory anyways and I got in there so I'm mostly likely going to chose Emory regardless!
JHU did take a while to respond, but if you check your online status with your PIN and password you can find out your decision earlier than the postal mail! That's how I found out I was accepted!

Try it out! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied: Yale, BU, GW, UDMNJ, U of South Carolina. All sent out on 1/24. All social/behavioral or health promotion.

Besides a confirmation e-mail, I haven't heard back from anywhere. I know it's only been 3 weeks, but still :(.

My SOPHAS apps also were sent out on 1/24 (GW was sent later), and I haven't heard back from BU yet either. It should be in the next week, though!

APPLIED: BU (MCH Epi), GW (Epi), UIC (Epi/MCH), UNC (MCH), USF (Epi/MCH), Tulane (Epi/MCH), UW (Health ServicesMCH)
ACCEPTED: Tulane (Epi)
REJECTED: UNC (only informally; official application status still says "submitted")

All Epidemiology:

Applied: Columbia, Yale, Emory, Michigan, Boston
Accepted: Emory, Michigan, Boston
Rejected: none yet...

in at EVMS and Drexel (with a scholarship)
wait listed for Emory (GH)
still waiting to hear back from UNC and Emory BSHE (getting worried, been more than 2 weeks since my app was forwarded, took them only 8 days to put me on the GH wait list :/)

JHU did take a while to respond, but if you check your online status with your PIN and password you can find out your decision earlier than the postal mail! That's how I found out I was accepted!

Try it out! Good luck!

Ya I've been checking my online status everyday but it still says the same thing as when I first submitted. When I email them they just say my application is being reviewed.

Hey Guys,
I'm finally in at UNC - MCH Department

So far
Applied: JHU, UNC, Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia, Emory
Accepted: UNC (MCH), Berkeley (MCH), Emory (Global Health)
Rejections: None so far.
Hi DrRayden, I also had a interview with a faculty of unc --mch department last week, but I havent' hear back form them ( getting worried), when did you have a interview with them?

xiaoqianli, UNC applicants seem to be receiving their notifications anywhere from one and a half to three weeks after the interviews.

xiaoqianli, I called the department on monday to find out when I should get a decision and they told me on friday. but today's thursday and I heard from them. I think no one who was interviewed on this forum didn't get a decision. So just be positive and keep an open mind. I'm sure we'll b e classmates lol

DrRayden,Thank you for your quick response, and congratulate you!! Really hope we''ll be classmate. Btw, how did they inform your ad?

Last edited:
Hi all! :hello:I'm applying to MPH programs, with a focus on social and behavioral sciences/community health sciences/health communications/public health practice/etc.

Applied: UNC-CH (online), UIC (online), UMASS-Amherst (online), Tufts University, and Boston University - I'm a Boston gal all the way!
Accepted: UNC-CH, Tufts
Waiting: BU, UIC, and UMASS-Amherst

I already turned down the UNC program, and Tufts is my second choice, so I'm holding onto that one. BU is my top choice, so fingers crossed!

It took 4 weeks for UNC to get back to me on a decision, and with Tufts, it took 5 weeks.

It's been 6 weeks now since I submitted to UMASS, BU, and UIC. Since I applied to BU and UIC through SOPHAS, they both didn't send it to be reviewed by the faculty until about 2-3 weeks ago...so I assume I'll hear back from them last.

GPA: 3.74
GRE: 4.0 AW, 530 verbal, and 690 quant
Experience: Been working for 15 months in a public health research center as an assistant, but before that, I received a lot of college health experience. I currently maintain my own blogs and write for another blog about adolescent and young adult health. I also have my CHES certification.

Good luck everyone!!! :D

:)
xiaoqianli, UNC applicants seem to be receiving their notifications anywhere from one and a half to three weeks after the interviews.
Etude, you are right, the secretary of UNC- MCH told me I shoud wait at leat one week for getting a decision, just hoping I can be in at this program. Which shcool is your first choice?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA SPH has just changed name ph.ucla.edu/content/ucla-school-of-public-health-receives-50-million-gift-largest-in-school%E2%80%99s-50-year-history.

I hope this helps in getting scholarships too :p:cool:

JHU is taking FOREVER! I've emailed them a few times and all they said is my application is still under review. I applied back in November...

I heard back from Hopkins during the last week of January via mail. I submitted my application on December 1st. I was a bit surprised that I heard back so soon. I am not sure if it is because I applied for the dual MPH/MBA program. I am just hoping that I get a full ride, because I do not know how I am going to pay for graduate school at this point in time.

I also heard back from Emory. SOPHAS informed me that they sent the application 01/31/2012 and I got an email invitation to the admitted students day 02/09/2012. The Emory decision was within a week so I am hoping that I will be a finalist for their merit scholarship.

I have not heard back from Yale and Columbia. Yale informed me when they received my application, but Columbia did not. I called Columbia and they told me that my application is being reviewed and that they do not sent out notifications when they receive the application from SOPHAS.

Just letting all of you waiting on Hopkins know that I turned in my ScM Hopkins application in October and haven't heard back either so hang in there- I'm trying to :)

I've been checking the website like a couple times a day like a crazy person and no change yet...

Applied: George Washington University, Georgetown, University of Maryland, Johns Hopkins
Accepted: George Washington University, Georgetown, University of Maryland
Rejected:

UCLA SPH has just changed name ph.ucla.edu/content/ucla-school-of-public-health-receives-50-million-gift-largest-in-school%E2%80%99s-50-year-history.

Hey! This is awesome information thanks for letting us know! :)

Wow , this is big!

just thought I would add my stats...

Undergrad gpa: 3.5
GRE: 149 V 155 Q
Major: Mathematics

Applied to: Harvard, Emory, Yale, UIC, U of Minn
Accepted: U of Minn and UIC (MS in biostats)
Rejected: None so far

I'm applying to MPH programs as well. This is where I'm at right now with regards to decisions:

Applied: UMass Amherst, Tufts, BU, Drexel, Brown, Columbia
Accepted: Tufts, Drexel, Brown
Waiting: UMass, Columbia, BU

Hi all! :hello:I'm applying to MPH programs, with a focus on social and behavioral sciences/community health sciences/health communications/public health practice/etc.

Applied: UNC-CH (online), UIC (online), UMASS-Amherst (online), Tufts University, and Boston University - I'm a Boston gal all the way!
Accepted: UNC-CH, Tufts
Waiting: BU, UIC, and UMASS-Amherst

I already turned down the UNC program, and Tufts is my second choice, so I'm holding onto that one. BU is my top choice, so fingers crossed!

It took 4 weeks for UNC to get back to me on a decision, and with Tufts, it took 5 weeks.

It's been 6 weeks now since I submitted to UMASS, BU, and UIC. Since I applied to BU and UIC through SOPHAS, they both didn't send it to be reviewed by the faculty until about 2-3 weeks ago...so I assume I'll hear back from them last.

GPA: 3.74
GRE: 4.0 AW, 530 verbal, and 690 quant
Experience: Been working for 15 months in a public health research center as an assistant, but before that, I received a lot of college health experience. I currently maintain my own blogs and write for another blog about adolescent and young adult health. I also have my CHES certification.

Good luck everyone!!! :D

Wow — you don't usually see people turning down UNC to go to BU :eek: ! Your grades are top notch — BU probably thinks U R using them as a back-up, so they might dawdle with your app. Good Luck.:luck:

Does anyone know when UW - MHA normally sends out their acceptances? Also, for some of the individuals on this site who stated they were willing to provide advice, do you have any thoughts on the ability to find scholarships outside of merit-based? Debating right now if I will end up choosing a school which provided the most funding.

Thanks!

Applied: UW-MHA, Michigan, Harvard, Berkeley, NYU - MPA
Accepted: Michigan, Berkeley

:)
Etude, you are right, the secretary of UNC- MCH told me I shoud wait at leat one week for getting a decision, just hoping I can be in at this program. Which shcool is your first choice?
At the moment, I am leaning toward UNC for overall academic and quality of life reasons, but am very tempted by Emory's global practicum opportunities, Practical Experience Program, and Compañeros Exchange Program.

Good luck with UNC!

Wow — you don't usually see people turning down UNC to go to BU :eek: ! Your grades are top notch — BU probably thinks U R using them as a back-up, so they might dawdle with your app. Good Luck.:luck:

Thanks! As for UNC, I'd go there in a heartbeat if I was attending the in-person program, but I can't afford to relocate since moving to Boston last year. I applied to the online program honestly not thinking I would even get in! So I was shocked to see the acceptance letter in my inbox :wow:
I'd rather go to an on-campus program vs. an off-campus program, so that I can interact with the faculty and students more. I love being in Boston, and I like BU's program, so ultimately, I decided to make BU my top choice.

I have been worried though that BU might think I'm a waste of time and only using them as a back-up :( Do you think they'd overlook me due to those potential fears?

Last edited:
Etude- Are you able to visit either/both?

Etude- Are you able to visit either/both?
I would like nothing better, because I think that visiting would make it so much easier to make the best choice, but I am not living in the U.S. right now. I am very grateful for this forum and its archives, which have helped me develop a fuller picture of the schools.

At the moment, I am leaning toward UNC for overall academic and quality of life reasons, but am very tempted by Emory's global practicum opportunities, Practical Experience Program, and Compañeros Exchange Program.

Good luck with UNC!
Yes, global practical experience is pretty good, having interacting with different people and culture can help you to widen your horizon. Whatever, best wishes to you~~~ if you make your final decision, tell us ~~~~

MesmerPantz-

How long did it take for UMaryland to get back to you?

A looong time- I applied to UMD in October and the Biostats/Epi Dept. just sent me an email on Tuesday. Good Luck!

I haven't heard from any of the three schools I applied for yet. Did anyone hear back from the following ?

JHU (MPH/MBA)
UMaryland (MPH)
GW (MPH)

I haven't heard from any of the three schools I applied for yet. Did anyone hear back from the following ?

JHU (MPH/MBA)
UMaryland (MPH)
GW (MPH)

I applied in December for GW (MPH) and just heard back 2 weeks ago, I had to email them first because I hadn't heard anything and then they sent me an email saying I was in.

Thanks! As for UNC, I'd go there in a heartbeat if I was attending the in-person program, but I can't afford to relocate since moving to Boston last year. I applied to the online program honestly not thinking I would even get in! So I was shocked to see the acceptance letter in my inbox :wow:
I'd rather go to an on-campus program vs. an off-campus program, so that I can interact with the faculty and students more. I love being in Boston, and I like BU's program, so ultimately, I decided to make BU my top choice.

I have been worried though that BU might think I'm a waste of time and only using them as a back-up :( Do you think they'd overlook me due to those potential fears?

AFAIK — BU gets mountains of apps, and a lot of applicants use them as a back-up, if they aim for all of the top applicants right off the bat — then it will be a long wait for everyone, so they try to select those who will go. Too bad for the top caliber who want to go there and have to wait a while :( or get passed over.

AFAIK — BU gets mountains of apps, and a lot of applicants use them as a back-up, if they aim for all of the top applicants right off the bat — then it will be a long wait for everyone, so they try to select those who will go. Too bad for the top caliber who want to go there and have to wait a while :( or get passed over.
Why are so many ppl applying for BU?

I got in to JHSPH!!!!!!! Fall 2012 MSPH. They emailed me today with a scholarship award. I haven't even received the official acceptance letter yet.

The deadline to respond is March 1st, but I'm still waiting to hear from Harvard and Columbia. Has anyone been able to tease out answers from schools by using the "let me know NOW or else I'm forced to choose another school" method? Also, are schools able to match or negotiate their financial aid decisions based on other existing offers? I know that is occasionally possible for undergrad admissions, but not sure about graduate school...

Last edited:
I got in to JHSPH!!!!!!! Fall 2012 MSPH. They emailed me today with a scholarship award. I haven't even received the official acceptance letter yet.

The deadline to respond is March 1st, but I'm still waiting to hear from Harvard and Columbia. Has anyone been able to tease out answers from schools by using the "let me know NOW or else I'm forced to choose another school" method? Also, are schools able to match or negotiate their financial aid decisions based on other existing offers? I know that is occasionally possible for undergrad admissions, but not sure about graduate school...

Hello mferng, What is the scholarship award is like? I got admit on December 12th.. Still no news on scholarships :(. Whats your background and scores?

Hey,

I'm curious about the scholarship award as well. What program are you in and what award did you get? I got in to the Dept of International Health about a month ago and they said there were only two scholarship awards for the entire dept and they were very competitive and we would only hear in March - so congrats on that!!

As for the "let me know or i'll be forced to choose another school" method, I just tried that with H and C as well (also said that as I was from India it would take a while to process visas and get loans from banks here) and they both said they understood my concerns but would only be sending out admissions decisions beginning in march. However, negotiating financial aid is a definite can-do once you do get in - or so i've been told.

Oh no...Hopefully that won't be me... :scared: *fingers crossed*

xb2011: What's your top choice? :) How long did it take for you to hear back?

Last edited:
I haven't got any reply yet..applied way back in december/ by deadline.

Yes, if anyone has any information/opinions on the various maternal and child health programs and how they compare, please do post.
I've heard nothing but great things about the MCH in UNC.. and I myself would have applied.. but I couldnt make the deadline.. Their faculty and class selection, to me, seemed to be one of the strongest in the MCH field.. and being a state school.. the tuition seemed to be a bit lower..

For those of you who have been accepted to Emory.. the students petitioned for a MCH certificate this year and it has just been formulated/accepted and will be available to students next year (to my understanding).. However, I dont know any specifics about the certificate yet..

Got my letter from UMinn's MCH-Epi program today: officially denied. Oh well. Sucks because that's my home state and I was still sort of hoping to be able to go home for grad school, but I guess it'll be Philadelphia or Saint Louis for me!

In at Hopkins MSPH! Got the letter in the mail today and applied in early December... my application was postponed due to transcript errors so it was complete early January! My status online has not been updated yet. Good luck everyone:)

PS - it was only a two page letter

Oh no...Hopefully that won't be me... :scared: *fingers crossed*

xb2011: What's your top choice? :) How long did it take for you to hear back?
Took abt a mth. Most probably BU:)

On Friday, I was accepted to UMich HBHE MPH program. My application was sent to Michigan on December 1st. Does anyone know if it is possible to do a dual concentration in say HBHE and Epi at UMich? And can it be done in two years?

Does anyone know how difficult it is to get funding at Yale if you have been accepted to their EMD program?? It looks like they have a few scholarships designated for their department.
Also, is anyone going to Their open house in March?
Thanks!

Most people get some type of assistance at Yale if you've submitted your financial information by the deadline (although, I don't believe there is funding for international students). However, I think if you are offered a scholarship, you would have received that news with your admissions notification. I know I did and so did other people who received actual scholarships. (That doesn't mean you won't receive some other type of funding that isn't loan based).