Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Heard back from UMinn's Certificate program in Public Health Core Concepts yesterday - it was kind of my back-up plan in case I didn't get into an MPH program. The idea was actually recommended to me multiple times by people within the school. Anyway - denied!

I'm worried now that UMinn's going to reject me completely. I still have SLU and Drexel acceptances, but UMinn's rejection is going to sting a little bit. I applied to the MCH-Epi program and still haven't heard back. I'm kind of betting it's because I lack part of the year of experience in MCH they require.

But yeah, rejected from a certificate program, accepted into 2 other MPHs. Are they just not as selective as the certificate program or what? *frustrated*

Members don't see this ad.

I just heard back from Berkeley yesterday. Accepted to epi/biostats.

Congrats!! When did you submit your application? Did you get the admission decision through email?

I was accepted to UNC by email about half an hour ago. I am over the moon!

Members don't see this ad :)
hah, whoops. Replied to the wrong post.

Last edited:
I was accepted to UNC by email about half an hour ago. I am over the moon!

Me too!! I am so so excited to have it all official now :D

So the end results for me were:

Applied to JHU and UNC (both in MCH) - Apps submitted 11/30
Accepted on website at JHU - Jan 6th
Emailed for interview at UNC - Jan 19th
Phone interview at UNC (and "recommended for admission") - Jan 25th
Accepted to UNC (officially) - Feb 14th

Happy Valentine's to all - I hope today brings more good news for everyone! :love:

Thank you, werd814!

And congratulations to you, spring6723—it certainly does make for a happy Valentine's Day. Are you already leaning toward one of your two schools, or are you going to be making your decision over the next few weeks?

In at University of Alabama- Birmingham! No word on funding yet, but happy to have more options!

Of course - I found out through an email, with an acceptance letter attached. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cornell is for sure up there, but I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of schools. Money is definitely a factor so I'll need to investigate that a little more also.

Hi
Undergrad-Dentistry
GPA:3.7

I applied For MPH Epidemiology programs
I got admits from BU (with merit award) and Emory Universiy

Waiting: UCLA, COLUMBIA,TEXAS ,HOUSTEN
Could anyone please throw some light as to which university is better among st these two which i have got admits for EPI

Congratulations..... :) I have got admit from Univ of Michigan - Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology, and GWU and EMORY (Epidemiology)

Please do share your experience about which program is good for EPIDEM

Was accepted to George Washington University - Prevention & Community Health MPH Program today via email! They mentioned my "offer package" being finalize by next week.. so maybe a scholarship?

Congrats to all with acceptances so far! :highfive:

Applied: BU, Columbia, GW, Upitt, Uconn, NYU, Drexel, Dartmouth, NYMC
Accepted: UPitt, NYMC, Drexel, BU, Dartmouth, NYU, GW

waiting on the rest...

Same here.... I am waiting and hoping it says scholarship or rather - the best to happen would be total tuition waiver...:D

Thank you, werd814!

And congratulations to you, spring6723—it certainly does make for a happy Valentine's Day. Are you already leaning toward one of your two schools, or are you going to be making your decision over the next few weeks?

I'm pretty much 100% for UNC - I pretty much want to accept their offer right now, but I feel like it might be smarter to wait until I know what the money situation is... although I'm still going there even if they don't give me anything!

Just received my acceptance email yesterday (great Valentine's Day) to Loma Linda. Now waiting for SDSU and UCLA.

Has anyone else heard from UCLA???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Applied: UCLA, SDSU, LLU
Acceptances: LLU
Rejections:
Attending:

Just received my acceptance email yesterday (great Valentine's Day) to Loma Linda. Now waiting for SDSU and UCLA.

Has anyone else heard from UCLA???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Applied: UCLA, SDSU, LLU
Acceptances: LLU
Rejections:
Attending:

I know that last year people heard back from UCLA around this time...so hopefully we should be hearing something soon! I am trying to resist the urge to contact them. :laugh:

Hey Guys,

Has anyone heard from the MPH program at JHU recently. it seems to me like they're on kind of recess or something cos many people on this forum haven't posted anything regarding the MPH program and even me too.
I'll soon make my decision anyways....irrespective of whether I hear from them or not.
Best wishes y'all

Hey Guys,

Has anyone heard from the MPH program at JHU recently. it seems to me like they're on kind of recess or something cos many people on this forum haven't posted anything regarding the MPH program and even me too.
I'll soon make my decision anyways....irrespective of whether I hear from them or not.
Best wishes y'all

JHU is taking FOREVER! I've emailed them a few times and all they said is my application is still under review. I applied back in November...

J12345,
Woooooooooooooooot N-O-V-E-M-B-E-R??

I just cant seem to understand what the problem is??? I honestly hope it's all for good anyways..

J12345,
Woooooooooooooooot N-O-V-E-M-B-E-R??

I just cant seem to understand what the problem is??? I honestly hope it's all for good anyways..

They said at the beginning of January that they were just starting to review Sc.M apps and it would be closer to the 8 week timeline from when your app. was complete. If you application was completed in November - that's just crazy!

They said at the beginning of January that they were just starting to review Sc.M apps and it would be closer to the 8 week timeline from when your app. was complete. If you application was completed in November - that's just crazy!

Yes it is pretty crazy! But I had a friend who applied around the same time last year and she didn't hear back from them until March! She's currently there now, but my top choice was Emory anyways and I got in there so I'm mostly likely going to chose Emory regardless!

.Anyone out there going to/accepted to Rush HSM in Chicago???

Yes it is pretty crazy! But I had a friend who applied around the same time last year and she didn't hear back from them until March! She's currently there now, but my top choice was Emory anyways and I got in there so I'm mostly likely going to chose Emory regardless!

Wow, that's awful. I know, Emory is awfully appealing:)

J12345,

The only reason I'm even worried about Hopkins is the sommer scholar awards which comes out in march. If we don't get a decision now its almost unlikely we'll even get the scholarship.

J12345,

The only reason I'm even worried about Hopkins is the sommer scholar awards which comes out in march. If we don't get a decision now its almost unlikely we'll even get the scholarship.

Ya it's definitely frustrating!

Heard from UCLA via email last night for an MPH in the Community Health Sciences Program. Got in with a minimum of $10,000 award.

Hi All,

GPA 3.33 International Relations, Hispanic Studies, Econ minor
GRE v. 650 q. 750
2 years in MIT lab

Applied: George Washington, Boston University, Emory, NYU, Columbia, Brown, UMass, Tufts
Accepted: George Washington (Health Policy), Tufts, Brown (App was complete mid-December but missing a rec until mid-January and I found out yesterday) with 25% of tuition covered by scholarship.
Waiting on the rest...

If anyone knows what to expect from the financial aid package for GW if no scholarships were mentioned up front, that would be great!

Thanks guys!

Has anyone heard anything from Columbia? I applied to the Health Management track in early November and got confirmation from them in early January. Does anyone know if there is a chance decisions will be released before March?

I just received notification of acceptance to Hopkins' Full-time MPH. I applied on Nov. 9, and just got the decision. I didn't get an e-mail, but the decision was posted on the application site. Anyone else waiting on them might want to start checking since they've started releasing decisions.

I also applied to Columbia in early November, I did not receive a confirmation email from them but I have been in contact with them several times and they definitely have my application on file. They said they would release decisions in early March, and when I said that I applied in the "early" deadline, they told me that it does not guarantee that you will receive a decision earlier or not. It is quite frustrating because they are the last school I will hear back from by 2 months!

I know what you mean - they made it seem as if submitting an app before the early deadline would be somewhat beneficial, but I guess not. Oh well :/

just heard back from UC Berkely... not accepted....:confused:
so discouraged, was not the first on my list, but still

International Medical graduate
GPA 3.9
GRE 1150 3.5, TOEFL 106
10 years of clinical practice as a physician, residency, fellowship, publications, presentations, teaching experience and voluntary experience... strong reccomendation letters from Canadian doctors..

Applied: MPH Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Berkeley
Acceptances:
Rejections: Berkeley
Attending:

Got my first rejection from UC Berkeley :(

Bummer, can you let us know what program it was for? Also, did they email you? I'm really hoping for Berkeley but they have always been very discouraging with how many acceptances they actually give out!

Hey there,
I also applied to Community Health Sciences at UCLA. When did you submit your app/ get confirmation?

Hi All,

GPA 3.33 International Relations, Hispanic Studies, Econ minor
GRE v. 650 q. 750
2 years in MIT lab

Applied: George Washington, Boston University, Emory, NYU, Columbia, Brown, UMass, Tufts
Accepted: George Washington (Health Policy), Tufts, Brown (App was complete mid-December but missing a rec until mid-January and I found out yesterday) with 25% of tuition covered by scholarship.
Waiting on the rest...

If anyone knows what to expect from the financial aid package for GW if no scholarships were mentioned up front, that would be great!

Thanks guys!

Hi Wheatie- Do you mind telling me which program at Brown you applied to? Did you find out via email or check the application online? Thanks!!

I was also just rejected from Berkeley's MCH program. They sent me an email prompting me to check the online application, and the update was in the Status section.

I got rejected from the health management program and they sent me an email with a link. Quite sad really. Good luck!

Hey there,
I also applied to Community Health Sciences at UCLA. When did you submit your app/ get confirmation?
I submitted on 11/23, and it was confirmed on 12/14 -- so I heard 2 months exactly from the confirmation.

Has anyone heard anything from Columbia? I applied to the Health Management track in early November and got confirmation from them in early January. Does anyone know if there is a chance decisions will be released before March?

I too applied to the management track. I haven't heard of anybody being accepted and I'm told March is when decisions will go out. No way around it. I was just accepted to Cornell so I'm not too hung up on Columbia's delay.

Congrats!! When did you submit your application? Did you get the admission decision through email?
I submitted back in early November. I got my acceptance via email.

received a rejection from UC Berkeley by email today...so sad:(...Wish good results from other schools:)

Hi Wheatie- Do you mind telling me which program at Brown you applied to? Did you find out via email or check the application online? Thanks!!

Hi! It was the MPH. I expressed interest in the Center for Gerontology and they seem to be good about personalizing the acceptance emails. Not only that, but when you RSVP for the Open House they set you up with an interview with a professor. They told me I could score a Research Assistantship if it goes well so don't miss out on that opportunity!

Results so far (all acceptances are for MCH/Social & Behavioral type programs):

Applied: George Washington, Emory, Yale, Berkeley, UNC, UCLA, Hopkins, Columbia, SDSU

Accepted: George Washington, Emory, Yale, Berkeley, UNC

Rejected: None yet

Does anyone know which school provides the best MCH training? I hear UNC is the best for MCH, but I could be wrong. I'm already having such a hard time ranking my schools and I still have to hear from 4 more! :confused: Any input would be great. Thanks.

Applied: Yale, BU, GW, UDMNJ, U of South Carolina. All sent out on 1/24. All social/behavioral or health promotion.

Besides a confirmation e-mail, I haven't heard back from anywhere. I know it's only been 3 weeks, but still :(.

Results so far (all acceptances are for MCH/Social & Behavioral type programs):

Applied: George Washington, Emory, Yale, Berkeley, UNC, UCLA, Hopkins, Columbia, SDSU

Accepted: George Washington, Emory, Yale, Berkeley, UNC

Rejected: None yet

Does anyone know which school provides the best MCH training? I hear UNC is the best for MCH, but I could be wrong. I'm already having such a hard time ranking my schools and I still have to hear from 4 more! :confused: Any input would be great. Thanks.
Yes, if anyone has any information/opinions on the various maternal and child health programs and how they compare, please do post.

Last edited: