Applied Mathematics major, 4.20/4.33 GPA, Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssyed786

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been studying for the MCAT (Coming up in august) and my motivation is slowly running out...
as a result of that I've decided to come here and get opinions on what my chances are for schools in Canada. Now I know that Canadian med schools are notoriously difficult to get into, simply because of the available seats and the overall competition. But here goes;
I'm a recent UBC graduate in the applied math program (Did this because I enjoy math and thought it'd be wise to have a good back up plan in case things don't go as planned)

My GPA: UBC uses a 4.33 scale, I sit at 4.20 (Disregarding my worst year) and a 3.95 including all 4 years.
Incase you're wondering my most recent 2 years I'm at a 4.33.

Conversions: All four years: 3.7, Top 3 years: 3.9, Top two years: 4.0

I got a research award during my third year from the university, which essentially gave me funds to conduct my own research project (It was in the field of statistics and data science). So from this I've got something to talk about in terms of my 'intellectual pursuits' as well as some decent reference letters.

I was a varsity athlete in my final year (Maybe this helps in some indirect way?)

I spent two years working as a paid teaching assistant in the math department.

In terms of EC's...

I don't exactly have any hours counted in anything health related (I'm trying to change that while studying for the MCAT). Most of my volunteer work (700+) hours was in university based clubs, community service etc.

Currently a resident of Alberta, but open to apply anywhere.

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: