Applied to only one school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lysine9740

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This cycle I applied to only MSUCOM and was lucky to be accepted. When I look back I realize how incredibly stupid it was, but somehow it worked out. I was wondering if my experience was rare; or if many people apply to one school and get accepted? To expand a bit, I received many secondaries, but never sent them in, and again I really don't know why I didn't... Was I just lucky?

Another question; MSUCOM doesn't interview, so I have never had a medical school interview. Will this hurt me much in the future, when I'm interviewing for residencies, not having the experience?

Also, do people know of others who only applied to one school and/or have never interviewed, and how did it work out for them?

I'm talking other than people who do the early acceptance programs.

Stats: 3.71, 25, IS, 1000+ hours volunteering. I have really good ECs, letters of rec, and personal statement, which they said had a big impact on my acceptance. Not URM.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Question 1: I only applied to KCUMB, and was accepted at KCUMB. It's the only school I wanted to go to. Was it stupid? I don't think so. My stats were more than its average and the only thing I had to do is rock the interview. Saved me money during the cycle.

Question 2: This will not hurt you specifically as there are other ways to improve you interview skills. Definitely work on interview skills, practice with other people if you can, come up with questions ect..

Only applying to one school with a 25 MCAT takes some serious balls.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This cycle I applied to only MSUCOM and was lucky to be accepted. When I look back I realize how incredibly stupid it was, but somehow it worked out. I was wondering if my experience was rare; or if many people apply to one school and get accepted? To expand a bit, I received many secondaries, but never sent them in, and again I really don't know why I didn't... Was I just lucky?

Another question; MSUCOM doesn't interview, so I have never had a medical school interview. Will this hurt me much in the future, when I'm interviewing for residencies, not having the experience?

Also, do people know of others who only applied to one school and/or have never interviewed, and how did it work out for them?

Stats: 3.71, 25, IS, 1000+ hours volunteering. I have really good ECs, letters of rec, and personal statement, which they said had a big impact on my acceptance. Not URM.

Thanks.
Very lucky to get into MSU with only 25 MCAT.... MSUCOM average MCAT score is 27ish. Applying to one school even with a 30+ MCAT score is 'stupid' since that process can be a crapshoot.

No matter what other people say. That was pretttaay dumb. I had stats way above school averages with nothing really lacking in my app and was not even offered interviews to some places. To say "all I had to do was rock the interview" like the poster said above is not really true given how many people are vying for those spots. Congrats on the acceptance though!

No matter what other people say. That was pretttaay dumb. I had stats way above school averages with nothing really lacking in my app and was not even offered interviews to some places. To say "all I had to do was rock the interview" like the poster said above is not really true given how many people are vying for those spots. Congrats on the acceptance though!

Say what you will I did my homework on the school and saved a ton of money. I'll just sit here and enjoy my acceptance.

Am I saying that its what I recommend for everyone? No. He asked my experience and I shared it. It's the only school *I* wanted to go, and I rather get rejected here and fall back on by own contingency plan than attend another osteopathic school.

Last edited:
Say what you will I did my homework on the school and saved a ton of money. I'll just sit here and enjoy my acceptance.
They asked if it was rare/lucky as well..which it is. It is not recommended no matter how much you research a school, how many ties to it you have, or how high your stats are. Both of you are very fortunate and I congratulate you.

They asked if it was rare/lucky as well..which it is. It is not recommended no matter how much you research a school, how many ties to it you have, or how high your stats are. Both of you are very fortunate and I congratulate you.
I agree with you. To anyone else reading this don't do what we did.

I too only applied to one school, and was accepted. I am a nontraditional student and would have had to sell my house if I went to any other school.

Thanks.

Residency interviews are different than medical school interviews. As a potential med student you have to try to sell yourself to the school. As a residency candidate, the residency program is, in general, trying to sell the program to you.

Girlfriend's sister only applied to one vet school -- UPENN -- after undergrad and got in. Some people have all the luck!

I too applied to only one school (Allo) and, similarly, it was the only school I want to attend...but no word back yet. However unlikely, I hope I get the same result you guys did! congrats

Big risk/big reward. I'm the type of person who always likes to have a backup plan in case things go wrong.

You saved yourself hundreds of dollars by not having to travel and interview. You knew exactly where you wanted to go.

I just got my CC bill and it's ~$1,800 for my last 2 interviews + a deposit. I probably spent ~$5,000 on applications, secondaries, and travel. Luckily my work schedule is very flexible otherwise that would have been another headache.

Would I have done it any differently? Probably not. Some of the schools I thought I would get interviews at never even replied. There were other schools that I thought of as reach schools and they were the first ones to respond. I didn't get into my state school like I had hoped. I'm really glad I had applied broadly otherwise I would be preparing for the next cycle right now. For me it was well worth the money spent.

Know a guy who only applied to Duke and UNC because his wife was in a phd program nearby. Dude got in.... Especially for those schools... Had some serious balls. He did say however that his wife being locked in there helped, like it was brought up in his interview and he told them he only applied to 2 schools near there. He said that they absolutely took that into consideration.

Having said all that. He was very hard working and did well grades, mcat and ec wise

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

I know a guy who knows a guy who has a girlfriend who's cousin's sisters daughter did that too.

SDN...

Thanks.

Lol with that MCAT I would say what you did was very gutsy. You will be in medical school for four years and I am pretty sure they will help prepare you guys for interviews. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Most schools who have early acceptance programs still require med school like interviews unless it's a direct med program that requires interviews out of high school. I've heard those aren't that bad. If you have the numbers and got an interview, you just have to make sure you are prepared well enough as an 18 year old kid can be. I nearly got into a direct MD program out of high school. They made you do a secondary after cutting down on like 60% applicants after the primary application and then decided if you deserved an interview. I got a secondary just not the interview. Was a great experience applying though. Learned a lot of what type of questions they ask in secondaries.