Apply both MD and DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syoung

MS-3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do many students apply to both?

I originally thought I really wanted to be an MD, but reading about DO has got me thinking. Thing is, I still want to apply this year, so I guess I got to jump on the DO shadowing train and see how that goes?
Although, I haven't done MD shadowing either. But I have had some hospital vol and free clinic vol back in 2004-2005 and 2007-2009 (minimal).

Is it alright to apply to both? or Should I concentrate on one or the other?
Thanks SDN

Members don't see this ad.

I originally thought I really wanted to be an MD, but reading about DO has got me thinking. Thing is, I still want to apply this year, so I guess I got to jump on the DO shadowing train and see how that goes?
Although, I haven't done MD shadowing either. But I have had some hospital vol and free clinic vol back in 2004-2005 and 2007-2009 (minimal).

Thanks SDN
It is very common to apply to both, especially if your stats are on the low end for MD.

Get some shadowing in for both MD and DO apps though. You don't need to shadow a MD necessarily but several DO schools require a LOR from a DO

Yes, lots of people apply to both. If you check out the "What are my chances?" board you'll see that people with borderline stats or below (like a 3.5/31 or a 3.7/29) are often advised to apply to both MD and DO to increase their chances of getting in somewhere. The general consensus around here is to pick MD over DO if you get accepted to both since MD opens more doors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, lots of people apply to both. If you check out the "What are my chances?" board you'll see that people with borderline stats or below (like a 3.5/31 or a 3.7/29) are often advised to apply to both MD and DO to increase their chances of getting in somewhere. The general consensus around here is to pick MD over DO if you get accepted to both since MD opens more doors.

:thumbup:

Thanks SDN

In addition to the posters above me, I would like to add that although some DO schools don't require a DO letter and say that an MD letter is fine, get the DO letter. It will show that you've taken the initiative to see what a DO is all about (especially with primary care and OMM/OMT).

Definitely shadow an MD and DO, and apply to both if you feel your stats are on the less competitive side.

Good luck!

In addition to the posters above me, I would like to add that although some DO schools don't require a DO letter and say that an MD letter is fine, get the DO letter. It will show that you've taken the initiative to see what a DO is all about (especially with primary care and OMM/OMT).

Definitely shadow an MD and DO, and apply to both if you feel your stats are on the less competitive side.

Good luck!

This is some sound advice my friend. Couldn't agree more.

Can someone please explain why MD opens more doors and whether DO is really that bad in comparison. Believe me, I understand DO is better than nothing, or at least I believe that, but does DO really set Primary Care in stone as your future...?

Can someone please explain why MD opens more doors and whether DO is really that bad in comparison. Believe me, I understand DO is better than nothing, or at least I believe that, but does DO really set Primary Care in stone as your future...?

Bad? Better than nothing?What? My derm and GI docs were both DOs, so residency matching for high demand specialties is definitely an option. Is it harder to match? Ya a little but the whole conception of DO is bastardized on this forum.

Bad? Better than nothing?What? My derm and GI docs were both DOs, so residency matching for high demand specialties is definitely an option. Is it harder to match? Ya a little but the whole conception of DO is bastardized on this forum.

Clearly I didn't write what I meant..... Getting into any med school (DO or MD) would be a gift for me (therefore, clearly DO is better than nothing/no med school). All I was trying to say was that I consistently see posts here saying that DO makes specializing really difficult. ---> basically like what you said about being "bastardized"

I just wanted to know what the real deal was/how expectant on doing primary care do you have to be if you are a DO

Clearly I didn't write what I meant..... Getting into any med school (DO or MD) would be a gift for me (therefore, clearly DO is better than nothing/no med school). All I was trying to say was that I consistently see posts here saying that DO makes specializing really difficult. ---> basically like what you said about being "bastardized"

I just wanted to know what the real deal was/how expectant on doing primary care do you have to be if you are a DO
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a.../Pages/osteopathic-physician-specialties.aspx

It is very common to apply to both, especially if your stats are on the low end for MD.

Get some shadowing in for both MD and DO apps though. You don't need to shadow a MD necessarily but several DO schools require a LOR from a DO

This OP. I don't see why you wouldn't do everything to improve your chances! Good luck!:)

If you want to be a physician, yes apply to both. If you want to wear a hat that says "MD" and have complexes about titles, then apply only MD. I'm learning more and more that it matters less and less the further along you are in your training and practice.

DO does have downsides. The ones that come to mind are that OOM is stupid, there is often a lack of clinical sites, and that it is more difficult to match in competitive MD residencies. However, these pale in comparison to the upside that you actually get to be a doctor :thumbup:

It is easier to get into certain specialties as an MD. Being a DO does not make it impossible by any means to do your specialty of choice. Some specialties outside primary care are easier to do as a DO than others (such as EM vs Plastics) but there are options in any specialty you want as a DO. Going DO does not by any means cement you into primary care specialties as your only option.