MD Apply or not apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medical Baller

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior Biology major with 3.7 with work experience at a Math tutoring center. Volunteer weekly at a hospital but no much hours accumulated yet. No research/shadowing experience other than a 9 day medical mission trip to Nicaragua last summer. I am planning on applying in June and sending in my MCAT later in the summer after taking it. Should I delay applying for another year to get more research/shadowing as well as finish up my Bio degree (graduating a semester late) or do I actually have a shot if I score a 512-514 on MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely wait a year. I would also say that your application next year will be weak regardless of your MCAT because any meaningful EC's would have only lasted slightly longer than a year.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely wait a year. I would also say that your application next year will be weak regardless of your MCAT because any meaningful EC's would have only lasted slightly longer than a year.

So if I take an year off and apply June 2018, my next year application will also be weak even if I start volunteering and shadowing now?

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I take an year off and apply June 2018, my next year application will also be weak even if I start volunteering and shadowing now?

I misspoke. It's not that you'll be "weak" but at a disadvantage. A lot of applicants have a long time of several meaningful experiences. You'd only have a year or more.

But I'll tag @Catalystik @LizzyM @gyngyn and @Goro to verify or dispute this :)

Also, I appreciate you being very mature and handling criticism well. Some members on this site aren't very good at that. Keep it up :)

I am a senior Biology major with 3.7 with work experience at a Math tutoring center. Volunteer weekly at a hospital but no much hours accumulated yet. No research/shadowing experience other than a 9 day medical mission trip to Nicaragua last summer. I am planning on applying in June and sending in my MCAT later in the summer after taking it. Should I delay applying for another year to get more research/shadowing as well as finish up my Bio degree (graduating a semester late) or do I actually have a shot if I score a 512-514 on MCAT

Don't apply prematurely. Without research and US shadowing you are "below average" in those two domains when compared to the pool of applicants who are admitted. What about community service? That's considered by adcoms to be more important than research.

Trying to do justice to the AMCAS application while studying for the MCAT is not the best way to assure success. Add in submitting your MCAT score relatively late in the season and you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Do it right; do it once.

I strongly suggest that you wait another year before applying.
-The teaching experience is valuable to your application and may be your only EC with decent longevity.
-About 1.5 years of active US clinical experience through volunteerism or employment is typical. The mission trip hours should be considered supplemental and not the mainstay of your active (or passive) clinical involvement.
-Shadowing average is about 50 hours and can be acquired over a short timeframe; ideally you'd include a primary care doc.
-Average research involvement for general purposes is about a year, but a summer's worth, or one term, would be fine for many schools.
-Nonmedical community service should also show some longevity, so get that started soon. Find a cause you care about off campus that serves those in need.

Reactions: 1 users