Apply? Or sit this cycle out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waveringatom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm a re-applicant now. This cycle is coming to an end and I'm still post-II waitlisted at ATSU-AZ, but I'm not holding out on getting an acceptance.

Final GPA (including post bacc)
3.23 cGPA
3.12 sGPA

Post Bacc GPA (19 credits upper division science)
3.95 cGPA and sGPA

MCAT:
507 (124 CARS)

ECs:
Volunteering at a women's shelter
Feeding the homeless
Shadowing
Psych intern (clinical)
Started public speaking organization
Photographer
Several leadership roles

TX Resident since February 2019

ORM

If I submit my AACOMAS ASAP and take post-bacc classes for summer and fall, I'm afraid I'll be rejected by the time grades are released to the schools for an update. How should I proceed with these stats?

I did apply broadly last year for DO schools but only
received two interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

My 2 cents:
Your MCAT is competitive in most if not all DO schools. I recommend more post-bacc units before you submit your AACOMAS (whether is in the middle of this cycle, or early next cycle).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How much improvement on your app have you made in the past year? If applying with virtually the same application, absolutely do not reapply until next year.

It wouldn’t hurt to get more classes in that post-bacc. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but only 19 credits seems light.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest reapplying broadly to DO schools and include all these:
ATSU-SOMA
TCOM
UIWSOM
Sam Houston State (new school)
CHSU-COM (new school)
ICOM
BCOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
VCOM (all 3 schools)
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
LECOM (all schools)
You could take post bacc science courses this summer to increase your sGPA. Then apply in late August when your summer grades are available. September is not late for a DO application.

ATSU-SOMA
TCOM
UIWSOM
CHSU-COM (new school)
ICOM
BCOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
VCOM (all 3 schools)
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
LECOM (all schools)
You could take post bacc science courses this summer to increase your sGPA. Then apply in late August when your summer grades are available. September is not late for a DO application.

Would you recommend applying to a SMP with linkage for me?

You do not need a SMP. You could continue to take upper level science courses at a local college in the coming year to increase your sGPA.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied successfully (>5 DO IIs) with really pretty similar stats. Notable differences included 3 years of productive research, and probably lots more clinical experience. But you have more leadership experience. Just trying to give you some context.

That being said, I think you have a strong shot at a successful cycle. I think the factors that can help for your next cycle (not sure if it would make sense to apply this coming cycle or the next one) are:
-apply as early as possible
-continue to perform well in at least a few more credits of upper level science courses. You might already have a reasonable amount of this though.
-more clinical experience and ideally clinical volunteering
-practice the **** out of interviewing with anyone you can, if you get interviews.

Faha is the man/woman. They gave me a good school list- listen to them. Good luck.

Also, I would strongly strongly consider not applying to brand-new DO schools like ICOM. But I've also been in your shoes and know that my advice may fall on deaf ears ;)

ATSU-SOMA
TCOM
UIWSOM
CHSU-COM (new school)
ICOM
BCOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
VCOM (all 3 schools)
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
LECOM (all schools)

For TCOM, should I wait until after summer courses as well? I know the TMDSAS cycle runs much quicker than AACOMAS does.

I applied successfully (>5 DO IIs) with really pretty similar stats. Notable differences included 3 years of productive research, and probably lots more clinical experience. But you have more leadership experience. Just trying to give you some context.

That being said, I think you have a strong shot at a successful cycle. I think the factors that can help for your next cycle (not sure if it would make sense to apply this coming cycle or the next one) are:
-continue to perform well in at least a few more credits of upper level science courses. You might already have a reasonable amount of this though.
-practice the **** out of interviewing with anyone you can, if you get interviews.

Faha is the man/woman. They gave me a good school list- listen to them. Good luck.

Also, I would strongly strongly consider not applying to brand-new DO schools like ICOM. But I've also been in your shoes and know that my advice may fall on deaf

Also, I would strongly strongly consider not applying to brand-new DO schools like ICOM. But I've also been in your shoes and know that my advice may fall on deaf ears ;)

What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking? Also, why are you not supportive of the brand new DO schools?