Apply this cycle or wait until next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evasive fish

Presto
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edited for privacy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Being an international student and applying late will hurt your chances this year. I feel that the best option is to apply in the 2020 cycle. Your application will be strengthened by the additional research (and a possible publication), and you can submit it with the first wave of applications.

Reactions: 1 users
If you take the MCAT in August, schools will be able to consider your primary in September. That is too late for MD-PhD, even assuming you get a 520+ score. I submitted 5 secondaries in September (I had already submitted to 12 schools prior to that) and got immediately rejected at 4 of them, even though they were all much less competitive than the first 12 I applied to. In comparison I got interviews from 10 out of the first 12. You should apply next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
This is great advice! You made me think more realistically and realize that it's much safer and convenient to prepare better and apply next year, which is what I'll do. Thank you, @Maebea and @mdphdNYC !!