Medical Apply this upcoming cycle or delay to next summer (2023 cycle)?

• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hello. I'm an undergrad graduating in May 2021. I was originally thinking of applying to medical schools this summer (2022 cycle) but unsure now because of gap in clinical experience since March 2020. Which I understand that many other applicants are also experiencing, but I wanted to get thoughts on my case?
i.e. Am I comfortable to apply this summer or should I take two gap years and apply next summer (2023 cycle)?

cGPA: 3.90, sGPA: 3.85, MCAT: 520
Clinical experiences:
- 90 hours shadowing several doctors
- 150 hours volunteer at children's hospital (over a bit >1 year, suspended in March 2020 b/c of the pandemic)
- 150 hours volunteer at a different hospital (one summer)
- Getting trained for hospice volunteering. The position is remote currently (ex: phone calling patients) but have plans to transition to in-person around April/May. Maybe <30 hours by this summer (including both remote and in-person). Would continue throughout gap year.

Then I have non-clinical volunteering, research, and other experiences. :)
It's also complicated because I've committed to a 1 year post-grad position at a research lab. If I take two gap years instead, might need to find a different job for the 2nd year.

Will be applying to a broad range of schools, but definitely applying to U of Rochester, Cornell, and Northwestern because of reasons lol

Thank you in advance!
How many hours do you have for non-clinical. Everything else looks fantastic and with a broad list of schools, should have zero issues getting interviews (unless you have red flags that we can't see with what you posted).

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thank you for the response!

120 hours with a college org, volunteering with senior home residents + adults with disabilities
80 hours as K-12 tutor (remote, since April 2020)
Just started volunteering in a soup kitchen, will continue in gap year. ~50 hours by May.

*Also realized a typo in the first post. I started Hospice training/volunteering now Feb 2021, not last year.
You should be gravy. Start honing your interview skills.

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yeah you're fine. Your stats are very good but just make sure that you include a range of schools to be safe. You should get plenty of interviews provided that you don't take anything for granted.

About the Ads

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Worth a shot. How about your state residency? Networking with students at the schools?

I emphasize: apply when your application is strongest in your clinical experience and non clinical volunteer experience. A second gap year would be okay because med school will not be going away.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
State residency in NJ, so I would also apply to Rutgers NJMS, Rutgers Robert Wood, and Cooper Medical of Rowan.
Haven't done in-person networking, but have gone to a few med school webinars/"virtual visits" if that's what you mean?

Not opposed to a 2nd gap year and will consider!
I was more worried b/c my intended gap year position is in the same lab of my undergrad research (junior+senior years), and I already committed to being there for 1 post-grad year for which the PI confirmed the funding for me. Not sure if they could fund a 2nd year (based on lab size, it's smol), but guess I'd find a different thing to do if that's the case.
Planned activities would be the same either way for at least one year: continuing hospice and soup kitchen volunteering
I am not sure why you would take this second gap year? You have a great application at this point and taking 2 years is just delaying your career at this point (because you have a great chance at getting in).

About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.