Medical Apply this upcoming cycle or delay to next summer (2023 cycle)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm an undergrad graduating in May 2021. I was originally thinking of applying to medical schools this summer (2022 cycle) but unsure now because of gap in clinical experience since March 2020. Which I understand that many other applicants are also experiencing, but I wanted to get thoughts on my case?
i.e. Am I comfortable to apply this summer or should I take two gap years and apply next summer (2023 cycle)?

cGPA: 3.90, sGPA: 3.85, MCAT: 520
Clinical experiences:
- 90 hours shadowing several doctors
- 150 hours volunteer at children's hospital (over a bit >1 year, suspended in March 2020 b/c of the pandemic)
- 150 hours volunteer at a different hospital (one summer)
- Getting trained for hospice volunteering. The position is remote currently (ex: phone calling patients) but have plans to transition to in-person around April/May. Maybe <30 hours by this summer (including both remote and in-person). Would continue throughout gap year.

Then I have non-clinical volunteering, research, and other experiences. :)
It's also complicated because I've committed to a 1 year post-grad position at a research lab. If I take two gap years instead, might need to find a different job for the 2nd year.

Will be applying to a broad range of schools, but definitely applying to U of Rochester, Cornell, and Northwestern because of reasons lol

Thank you in advance!
How many hours do you have for non-clinical. Everything else looks fantastic and with a broad list of schools, should have zero issues getting interviews (unless you have red flags that we can't see with what you posted).

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the response!

120 hours with a college org, volunteering with senior home residents + adults with disabilities
80 hours as K-12 tutor (remote, since April 2020)
Just started volunteering in a soup kitchen, will continue in gap year. ~50 hours by May.

*Also realized a typo in the first post. I started Hospice training/volunteering now Feb 2021, not last year.
You should be gravy. Start honing your interview skills.

Yeah you're fine. Your stats are very good but just make sure that you include a range of schools to be safe. You should get plenty of interviews provided that you don't take anything for granted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Worth a shot. How about your state residency? Networking with students at the schools?

I emphasize: apply when your application is strongest in your clinical experience and non clinical volunteer experience. A second gap year would be okay because med school will not be going away.

State residency in NJ, so I would also apply to Rutgers NJMS, Rutgers Robert Wood, and Cooper Medical of Rowan.
Haven't done in-person networking, but have gone to a few med school webinars/"virtual visits" if that's what you mean?

Not opposed to a 2nd gap year and will consider!
I was more worried b/c my intended gap year position is in the same lab of my undergrad research (junior+senior years), and I already committed to being there for 1 post-grad year for which the PI confirmed the funding for me. Not sure if they could fund a 2nd year (based on lab size, it's smol), but guess I'd find a different thing to do if that's the case.
Planned activities would be the same either way for at least one year: continuing hospice and soup kitchen volunteering
I am not sure why you would take this second gap year? You have a great application at this point and taking 2 years is just delaying your career at this point (because you have a great chance at getting in).

Status
Not open for further replies.