Applying as a 5th year senior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bnleong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for advice from any pre-meds are out there that have spent an extra year or more in undergrad. Like many students, I have switched majors. I am a junior now and I see that there is no way I can graduate on time. Does this affect my chances of getting into medical school? Do medical schools show bias against graduating late?

My overall average is 3.6 my BCPM is a 3.3(Due to a terrible freshman year). I see myself improving my GPA to a 3.7 and my BCPM to at least a 3.5 (hopefully 3.6) before I apply.

I have 2 years of clinical experience working with people with disabilites.
I am starting a research project in neurobiology.
I am also a certified CPR instructor.
I am counting on 2 good recommendations so far.
(Yes i know that I need shadowing experience. I will get some soon.)

Members don't see this ad.

Stay on the above-mentioned track and you will be golden. Do not worry about graduating late. Many people take quite long and even get other degrees before starting medical school. It seems like you are really strengthening your credentials next year. I think that taking this extra year will do more good than harm (if any) in your case. A 3.3 BCMP for example will put you at a disadvantage while a 3.5 - 3.6 is on par.

I don't think it matters as long as you have a solid class load each semester. I graduated in six, and even did an extra year after that. I did, however, switch majors in my 3rd year so I kind of had to start halfway over...

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't matter at all...it's better to get a high GPA in 5 years than get a mediocre one in 4.

Thank you guys for the advice. It makes me feel a lot more confident about staying an extra year. Now its back to studying. ONe last final and its all A's for this semester. :) GO 3.6 BCPM!

I am looking for advice from any pre-meds are out there that have spent an extra year or more in undergrad. Like many students, I have switched majors. I am a junior now and I see that there is no way I can graduate on time. Does this affect my chances of getting into medical school? Do medical schools show bias against graduating late?

My overall average is 3.6 my BCPM is a 3.3(Due to a terrible freshman year). I see myself improving my GPA to a 3.7 and my BCPM to at least a 3.5 (hopefully 3.6) before I apply.

I have 2 years of clinical experience working with people with disabilites.
I am starting a research project in neurobiology.
I am also a certified CPR instructor.
I am counting on 2 good recommendations so far.
(Yes i know that I need shadowing experience. I will get some soon.)
you gotta finish undergrad. in 3 years like the rest of us
mechwarrior4rl.png
s do ... nah but seriously you will be cool if you stick to
osbros-the-plan-CD.jpg

Last edited:
staying an extra year doesnt matter

Staying an extra two years doesn't seem to affect the interview count.:laugh::thumbup:

(Just don't do it unless you have a really compelling reason.)