Applying early with 3 years of undergrad.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4eyed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first time posting a thread. I was wondering if anyone was in the process of applying for 2007 after their third year of undergrad? Is there anyone who is in optometry school and was accepted after their third year?

I am getting a little overwhelmed about applying.. the personal statement and everything. Do you suggest writing one statement than encompasses the different questions from the schools or would you write a separate essay for each question asked.. for example .. you have the option for PCO. ..

I'm planning to take the OAT is September .. and I've been studying .. but I still have a ways to go.

If anyone has any suggestions for me .. i'd appreciate it :) thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should go for it! There's a handful in my class who didn't finish undergrad before OD school. While a degree is strongly preferred, it can't hurt to give it a try. Worst thing that can happen is they tell you to try again next year.

And I would definitely write individual essays for each school. They may all be very similar, but you don't want to be too generic.

if optometry is what you want to do and you will get all those prerq's finished, then go for it! but if you need only 1-2 classes to get your degree, i would do that (but i look pretty snazzy in a cap and gown!)

good luck and check out to see which programs do not need a bacholer's to apply

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your encouragement! :)

What do you have to lose?

I would 100% reccommend applying early. It's a win-win situation. If you are accepted you will save a year of work and tuition as well as a full year salary as an OD. If you don't get in, you will have valuble experience in the interview process and know exactly what to expect next year.

Write an awesome essay and tweak it for each school that you apply. Make sure to research each school and find what their strong point is. Elaborating on that area will give you an edge.

The interview itself will make or break you. If you get an invite, that means your grades are good enough and it is up the your personality and presentaion to get you in. Research the school as well as the current state of optometry and be ready to explain your future goals. Make sure you show them you are passionate about the profession and know all the problems it faces in the future. If you nail the interview, you will be in really good shape. Make sure you are confident and always tell every school they are your number 1 choice...even if they aren't.

The application process is a pain in the a$$, but it will be over before you know it and it will be worth it. Good Luck. :thumbup:

Thank you so much for the great advice!!