Applying for 2023 Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimmyH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to apply this year for pul/CC fellowship. I have my work permit now and I am waiting for my greencard (should get it before July 2023).
I have been a hospitalist for 4 years now. I don't really have much connection. I work in a rural area because I was J1 visa candidate before.
My USLME score are average but I do have great LORs. I have about 15 publications (mostly case reports - nothing really special).

What are my chances?

I am thinking of applying to ~100 places (mostly community based programs).

Anyone has any pointer for me??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am planning to apply this year for pul/CC fellowship. I have my work permit now and I am waiting for my greencard (should get it before July 2023).
I have been a hospitalist for 4 years now. I don't really have much connection. I work in a rural area because I was J1 visa candidate before.
My USLME score are average but I do have great LORs. I have about 15 publications (mostly case reports - nothing really special).

What are my chances?

I am thinking of applying to ~100 places (mostly community based programs).

Anyone has any pointer for me??

LORs are a necessary item for application but they don't really move the needle one way or another.
They can help you if they're from somebody that a person on the application review committee knows, or if they're from a big name person that people recognize ("Wow, Scott Weingart wrote this person a letter?").
They can hurt if they're really bland and don't say anything personal; if it's really clear they're form letters.

But for the rest, they just check the box and we move on. Most everyone has great sounding LORs and unless they fall into one of the above categories they have no appreciable effect on the application.

The 4 year gap will be a challenge to overcome. There is a point at which someone has been out of training long enough that we start to worry about how difficult it will be for them to return to a learner role. Some people do great and come back without a problem; others constantly chafe at having to ask permission to do things they did on their own a few months ago, or aren't ready to the sudden increase in study requirements, or sudden increase in work hours, or the big drop in salary, etc... and there's no good way to know ahead of time who will fall into which group.

If you have the time and money and want to apply then go ahead. Nobody can really give good "what are my chances" when there aren't clear flags one way or another.

Hello, I am planning to apply for PCCM the next cycle.
I'm graduating from a community program, step score (215,237,218) did failed CS once, IMG, GC.
Had strong basic research in asthma prior to residency while in medical school.
Some case reports publications, poster presentation at CHEST and ATS, while in residency.
Currently a T32 post doc fellow doing research in cardiovascular epidemiology. Was invited to become chief but decided to go for clinical research fellowship instead.
I will work as a clinical instructor/hospitalist in my residency program while I finish my T32 fellowship.

Wondering if my chances are real...dream is to go to university program.

Any input would be nice. TIA

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am planning to apply for PCCM the next cycle.
I'm graduating from a community program, step score (215,237,218) did failed CS once, IMG, GC.
Had strong basic research in asthma prior to residency while in medical school.
Some case reports publications, poster presentation at CHEST and ATS, while in residency.
Currently a T32 post doc fellow doing research in cardiovascular epidemiology. Was invited to become chief but decided to go for clinical research fellowship instead.
I will work as a clinical instructor/hospitalist in my residency program while I finish my T32 fellowship.

Wondering if my chances are real...dream is to go to university program.

Any input would be nice. TIA
So, I matched up with a great university program for PCCM. Don't give up.

Reactions: 2 users
So, I matched up with a great university program for PCCM. Don't give up.
congratulations

not to bump a bumped thread but I just have to say...

if you don't get into PCCM at first, strengthen your resume and stuff the stat sheet

ignore all renal fellowship scramble cold calls at all costs everyone